ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Brief highlights of what I saw out there this morning; story coming later.

Conor thanks a great deal. I have thought Harding had a great upside since arriving in Durham. Seems like we've actually targeted him LESS since his freshman year. Hope he and Pancol(wideout as well), and Calhoun(wideout) can also step up this year! Of course we have to throw to them!!! OFC

They're really trying to push Harding to the next level. He was better yesterday than he was today.

Today's notes:

Conor MANY THANKS! Jontavis is one of those types who gets overlooked, but definitely has potential. I think Pancol COULD emerge as the most legit DEEP THREAT. He's an exciting player.Sounds like we were quite fortunate from your reports to pick up Darius Joiner and Datrone Young as transfer dbs!! Many thx again Conor! OFC

The transfer portal should be very, very good to Duke if Admissions cooperates. Even I could sell a mom on the value of a diploma that says DUKE after spending a couple of years at Coastal Carolina or Louisiana Tech

I would guess the odds are better that one or two of Duke's current commits get bumped up to 4-stars. (Semaj Turner and Marquise Collins would be my guesses)

Observations from this morning:

The Chance Lytle story was on Good Morning America this morning. So he's getting a lot of attention.

Reactions: ConorONeill
The Chance Lytle story was on Good Morning America this morning. So he's getting a lot of attention.
Man what an interesting dude. Grateful to have a chance to talk to him yesterday, know he was in high demand for interviews.

Thank you for the kind words!

Unfortunately had to adjust plans and missed today's practice, so I missed talking to the coordinators. But Wake's QB situation forced an adjustment with my schedule.

I'll be at Duke tomorrow for some of their practice, and then will be back Sunday afternoon for their first scrimmage of fall camp.

Thank you for the kind words!

Unfortunately had to adjust plans and missed today's practice, so I missed talking to the coordinators. But Wake's QB situation forced an adjustment with my schedule.

I'll be at Duke tomorrow for some of their practice, and then will be back Sunday afternoon for their first scrimmage of fall camp.
Sounds good Conor. BTW, how are they adjusting to Sam Hartman's absence at one of our rival competitiors?

Reactions: geddoughton23
I wrote something on the other site that answers part of that.

The short story is: There's no "next" Sam Hartman. He has faults -- dark humor is they're games in Charlotte -- but he's a fantastic leader and QB for them. The adjustment is that instead of all of the pieces returning to their productive offense, it's all of the pieces minus the conductor. You've got to have the pieces -- A.T. Perry, the OL, both RBs -- help fill the margin from Hartman to Mitch Griffis.

Well, another adjustment -- Wake Forest changed their time for tomorrow and it's a scrimmage, so that's something I can't miss.

Sunday will be my first time back out at Duke since Tuesday, which I hate ... but at least I'll get to see their scrimmage.

I hope that Hartman returns as soon as possible and leads a great life for at least 70 more years. I always assume the very worst when the nature of the illness or injury is not released. For me, and only talking about me, I would want to give at least some information about the illness. Again, my very best wishes for Sam Hartman and his family

I hope that Hartman returns as soon as possible and leads a great life for at least 70 more years. I always assume the very worst when the nature of the illness or injury is not released. For me, and only talking about me, I would want to give at least some information about the illness. Again, my very best wishes for Sam Hartman and his family
Couldn't agree more. When you're as vague as Wake was, you let imaginations of everybody who isn't on the need-to-know basis run wild and man ... they were running WILD on Wednesday. Especially with how outspoken he was last year with his previous mental health struggles.

It's kind of calmed down since then. If I had to guess, it's not a ... how to put this ... his long-term health isn't in danger. It might have been, but swift action probably helped. He was at Wake's practice Wednesday and actually seemed like he was in good spirits for somebody who's undergone surgery sometime in the previous 16 or so hours.

Soooooo, about that QB battle ...

Today's story is free to read.

On Belin, I was pretty intentional with how I phrased that. I don't think he's a candidate. He throws a nice deep ball but he blows some short/intermediate throws -- not the first young QB I've seen like that, honestly. And I think he just doesn't have a firm enough grasp of the offense for them to say he's a legit candidate to start.

Soooooo, about that QB battle ...

Today's story is free to read.

On Belin, I was pretty intentional with how I phrased that. I don't think he's a candidate. He throws a nice deep ball but he blows some short/intermediate throws -- not the first young QB I've seen like that, honestly. And I think he just doesn't have a firm enough grasp of the offense for them to say he's a legit candidate to start.
Thanks for the summary.I think Belin will be a contributor at Duke. He simply needs grooming on those short and medium range patterns.

OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
so i went to all the sites after the scrimmage today and here seem to be the comments
riley leonard looks to be in charge of the offense
jacob monk looks good at center
travis bates and jaylen coleman looked good at rb
andrew jones TE had the catch of the day for a td from belin
jordan moore looks very good at wr. i want the ball in his hands in the open field.
transfer cam dillon made plays at lb. nice that we flipped him from rice
vincent anthony DE is for real
WR sahmir hagans looks like the latest rivals swing and miss. he has been great. rivals had him a two star where espn had him a high 3 star. espn is winning so far.

so i went to all the sites after the scrimmage today and here seem to be the comments
riley leonard looks to be in charge of the offense
jacob monk looks good at center
travis bates and jaylen coleman looked good at rb
andrew jones TE had the catch of the day for a td from belin
jordan moore looks very good at wr. i want the ball in his hands in the open field.
transfer cam dillon made plays at lb. nice that we flipped him from rice
vincent anthony DE is for real
WR sahmir hagans looks like the latest rivals swing and miss. he has been great. rivals had him a two star where espn had him a high 3 star. espn is winning so far.
Most of these are spot-on. Sahmir Hagans is really good -- can't speak much to previous rankings but I'd put him as the leader to be the No. 2 WR behind Jalon Calhoun.

Travis Bates ... how to put this without talking depth chart ... is probably not going to be relied on too much. The guys to watch are both Moores (Jaquez and Terry), Jaylen Coleman and Jordan Waters.

Jacob Monk is *learning* center.

Eli Pancol's catch over Joshua Pickett was the best catch; Jones' catch was on a throw that probably lands him in the hospital if it's against another team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT