ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Thanks. I really wish that there were only 8 teams in the ACC. adifficult to know much about Louisville, BC etc. unless it's your job. I'm surprised by the Payton Wilson selection. I've watched him pretty closely and didn't think that he was anything special

No Duke players on the preseason All-ACC team, again as probably could've been expected.

I'd earmark Shaka Heyward and Graham Barton as the two most likely Blue Devils to appear on the season-end first-team, but linebacker and offensive tackle are usually stacked positions.

Here's the team for anyone interested in discussing:
2022 Preseason All-ACC Football Team
(Total votes in parenthesis)
QB Devin Leary, NC State (56)
RB Sean Tucker, Syracuse (125)
RB Will Shipley, Clemson (112)
WR Josh Downs, North Carolina (128)
WR A.T. Perry, Wake Forest (111)
WR Zay Flowers, Boston College (104)
TE Will Mallory, Miami (69)
AP Keytaon Thompson, Virginia (70)
OT Jordan McFadden, Clemson (127)
OT Zion Nelson, Miami (82)
OG Caleb Chandler, Louisville (104)
OG Christian Mahogany, Boston College (67)
C Grant Gibson, NC State (90)

DE Myles Murphy, Clemson (120)
DE Habakkuk Baldonado, Pitt (54)
DT Bryan Bresee, Clemson (116)
DT Calijah Kancey, Pitt (62)
LB Drake Thomas, NC State (92)
LB Trenton Simpson, Clemson (82)
LB Payton Wilson, NC State (60)
CB Kei’Trel Clark, Louisville (70)
CB Josh DeBerry, Boston College (65)
S Jammie Robinson, Florida State (93)
S Tanner Ingle, NC State (63)

PK B.T. Potter, Clemson (99)
P Lou Hedley, Miami (101)
SP Josh Downs, North Carolina (57)

Preseason Player of the Year
1. Devin Leary, QB, NC State (40)
2. Sam Hartman, QB, Wake Forest (30)
3. Tyler Van Dyke, QB, Miami (21)
4. Bryan Breese, DT, Clemson (14)
4-t. Brennan Armstrong, QB, Virginia (14)
6-t. Malik Cunningham, QB, Louisville (12)
6-t. Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina (12)
8. Sean Tucker, RB, Syracuse (11)
9. Myles Murphy, DT, Clemson (5)
10. Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson (3)
11. Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State (2)

Wow, reality must be setting in for Coach Elko on how little regard everyone has for Duke football. Hopefully this makes him want to work that much harder, if that is even possible.

Wake is going to be strong at receiver position with Green back this year. I think with the transfers coming in Duke may surprise a few teams. Three ACC wins would be good year for first year coach.

Wake is going to be strong at receiver position with Green back this year. I think with the transfers coming in Duke may surprise a few teams. Three ACC wins would be good year for first year coach.
3 ACC wins would be great, I'd say, for Elko -- and assuming they don't lose both Northwestern and Kansas games, would mean a bowl.

It's a toss-up in my mind whether Wake or UVA has the best WR corps in the ACC. A healthy Donavon Greene probably puts Wake over the top there.

It's not just the ACC voters, I don't know if all the pre-season watch lists have been released but so far punter Porter Wilson (Ray Guy) is the only Duke player to make any of these lists. Shaka did not make the Butkus list, Charlie Ham did not make the Groza list.

Reactions: geddoughton23
It's not just the ACC voters, I don't know if all the pre-season watch lists have been released but so far punter Porter Wilson (Ray Guy) is the only Duke player to make any of these lists. Shaka did not make the Butkus list, Charlie Ham did not make the Groza list.
I remember the "Groza list" being quite the preseason curse for ex Blue Devil PK Will Snyderwine. Will kicked around 15 years ago.... OFC

3 ACC wins would be great, I'd say, for Elko -- and assuming they don't lose both Northwestern and Kansas games, would mean a bowl.

It's a toss-up in my mind whether Wake or UVA has the best WR corps in the ACC. A healthy Donavon Greene probably puts Wake over the top there.
Isn't UNCheat strong at wide receiver also? OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Isn't UNCheat strong at wide receiver also? OFC
Josh Downs is fantastic but they don't have the depth of WF or UVA. Part of why he had nearly 100 more targets than the second-most targeted WR for them last season was because of Downs' talent; part of it was because he was their only WR capable of getting separation.

Josh Downs is fantastic but they don't have the depth of WF or UVA. Part of why he had nearly 100 more targets than the second-most targeted WR for them last season was because of Downs' talent; part of it was because he was their only WR capable of getting separation.
Thanks, and that is good news that the Cheats are not that deep at receiver. OFC

In case that so of you missed my thread on the Duke basketball board Mark Robertson who was the clock operator for several years at Wallace Wade passed away suddenly on Thursday at 74 He was from my hometown and knew him well enough to be my friend. Mark had tons of friends though. He was probably as big a Duke fan as I have never known but even cheater u fans loved him also as a friend. He was a NC high school football official for 43 years. He officiated 4 high school football state championship games. He also was a NC high school basketball official for 35 years. One of the nicest and cordial people I have ever known. You would have to known him to know what I mean. I hope Duke football recognizes him in some way this year. He will be missed. OFC

Thanks, skysdad! Posting about Mr. Robertson is much more important than speculating on where a high school player might go to college. It's important to honor someone who had a positive impact on high school athletics.
Thanks ged. Just a great individual. The last coupe of years he wason a broadasting team doing area high school football games. OFC

In case that so of you missed my thread on the Duke basketball board Mark Robertson who was the clock operator for several years at Wallace Wade passed away suddenly on Thursday at 74 He was from my hometown and knew him well enough to be my friend. Mark had tons of friends though. He was probably as big a Duke fan as I have never known but even cheater u fans loved him also as a friend. He was a NC high school football official for 43 years. He officiated 4 high school football state championship games. He also was a NC high school basketball official for 35 years. One of the nicest and cordial people I have ever known. You would have to known him to know what I mean. I hope Duke football recognizes him in some way this year. He will be missed. OFC
I met Mark at the Wash Duke before a game and had a really pleasant and fun conversation with him. He will be missed.

OFC

Interesting look here at where Duke's starting lineup ranks among ACC teams based on HS star rankings.

Practice starts at 6:30 tonight, believe the ACC Network live show doesn't start until 7. I'll be there and will have a story up ... sometime late tonight.

The ranking of Duke's recruits backs up something I've said for a while--it's not only the inability to recruit, but also the inability to coach up the 2 and 3 stars that Cut did so well with early on.

Well, they were indoors and not ... They were outside until about 7:45, when storms moved into the area.

It didn't feel too oppressive that late in the evening.

ETA: Duke's only other fall camp practices that start after 2 p.m. are tonight (7) and two Sunday scrimmages (4:20 starts). I'm curious why these first two are at night -- we'll get Elko on Friday morning and I'm sure there's a logical explanation. I should've included the rarity of night practices in that story but ... yesterday was a lonnnnnng day.

Just as a heads up: I won't be there tonight and they're off tomorrow, and then I'll be there Friday and Saturday with stories to follow.

Last edited:
Thank you, Conor! I've never been a fan of exercising when I first wake up, but the only time outdoor activity is tolerable in NC in early August is at dawn

Reactions: ConorONeill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT