ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

spencer jones 6'3'' 190lb wr
P5 offers from duke, maryland, va tech, wva
big body and lots of speed
think we got a steal here. evidently only played just a couple of games last year but dont forget our new wr coach was at maryland last year and knew his talent. i kinda trust him.
the wr room rebuild is going strong.
I feel very optimistic about the class Coach Elko is putting together. Having come from Texas A & M and the SEC, he probably has a really good feel for the types of players who have realistic chances of producing in college football. OFC

I feel very optimistic about the class Coach Elko is putting together. Having come from Texas A & M and the SEC, he probably has a really good feel for the types of players who have realistic chances of producing in college football. OFC
I thought the same about Cut, coming from a SEC background. And for the first few years, he pushed them, recruited hard, and seemed to be rock solid. But whether he got complacent and took advantage of the fact he had a long leash, or whatever the reason, that ended disastrously. I don’t believe that a much younger Coach Elko is going to play out that way.

"But whether he got complacent and took advantage of the fact he had a long leash, or whatever the reason, that ended disastrously. I don’t believe that a much younger Coach Elko is going to play out that way."

VERY SOUND REASONING @jeffrey236

OFC

I'm getting the feeling that Coach Elko is trying to load up with verbals, knowing that he's going to lose some down the road. Nothing wrong with that strategy.
Worth remembering a few things on this front:

1. The NCAA removed the limit of 25 signees per class for this academic year and the next one (NCAA story)
-- that's obviously a really good thing for a program that needs an influx of talent.

2. Recruiting under Cut had nosedived in the last several seasons, evidenced by the lack of talent.

the staff has been saying all along is that they were going for mid to upper 20's. we have 4 open schollies right now. 6 grad transfers incoming. 1 grad from last year. 7 seniors. 13 r-jrs. and 10 jr's. thats a lot of people that have the option of graduation or transfer. heck we have 9 schollie wr kids right now. 3 sr, 1 r-jr and a jr. that leaves us with 4 schollie kids and one of those is a qb trying it. even if a couple of those kids stay we need lots of kids just to get to the standard of 12 wr kids on schollie.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope we keep these guys who have verballed but we know how that's gone in the past. I hope Coach Elko keeps 'em coming.

Reactions: hart2chesson
so i do appeciate this article. i do have a few comments however. the lbs i dont thiink have been rated. the 5.4 is what rivals always puts on duke recruits till they look. dont think you can be high three star on two other services and rivals saying they dont belong on a P5 team. just my opinion. also david anderson has grown. per the other sites he is now at 280lbs so he might be a dt.

BOOM HUGE get today
Marquise Collins verbals
5'10'' 190lb rb from texas
huge offer list. 5.7 on rivals
P5 offers from duke, utah, bc, cal, zona, ga tech, kansas, k state, so cal, vandy and wash st
lots of other offers
Congratulations! 190 pounds is pretty stout for a corner. He can probably play safety and quasi LB spot if necessary

Any idea why Rivals uses decimals ?
Seems better to just call him a 57. I just googled. Apparently, a 6.1 is a franchise player and 5.7 is a very high 3 star.

A few updates ...

Have a question out on David Anderson's weight, hoping to hear back by tomorrow.

The rankings on the linebackers, I'm told, means our evaluators just aren't as high on them as the other services. I'll see what I can do to persuade our people to bump them up, but I'm not going to do it just because the other sites have them rated higher than we do. Hopefully that makes sense.

Austin Shull has a page for us now, it's here. (now I've got to figure out his photo situation)

And the first of what I hope to be several season preview stories, listing 5 breakout candidates for this season.

A few updates ...

Have a question out on David Anderson's weight, hoping to hear back by tomorrow.

The rankings on the linebackers, I'm told, means our evaluators just aren't as high on them as the other services. I'll see what I can do to persuade our people to bump them up, but I'm not going to do it just because the other sites have them rated higher than we do. Hopefully that makes sense.

Austin Shull has a page for us now, it's here. (now I've got to figure out his photo situation)

And the first of what I hope to be several season preview stories, listing 5 breakout candidates for this season.
Thank you! Perhaps I'm asking an unethical question. I don't think so, but perhaps. You mentioned that you provide the same service at the Wake Forest site.

It seems that Duke and Wake would recruit a lot of the same players. Is that correct? Perhaps too early to tell with the new staff. Any recruiting battle with Wake for a particular player that is most important?

Is Coach Elko focused more on local players than Coach Cutcliffe?

Reactions: hart2chesson
Thank you! Perhaps I'm asking an unethical question. I don't think so, but perhaps. You mentioned that you provide the same service at the Wake Forest site.

It seems that Duke and Wake would recruit a lot of the same players. Is that correct? Perhaps too early to tell with the new staff. Any recruiting battle with Wake for a particular player that is most important?

Is Coach Elko focused more on local players than Coach Cutcliffe?
Perfectly fine questions, no ethical dilemmas.

There are quite a few common targets -- Terry Simmons was one who Wake wanted, but their D-line spots filled up early. That's not to say he would've picked Wake over Duke if space allowed -- just that his timeline didn't match what Wake wanted.

Elko has made it clear that he wants Duke to aim a bit higher in recruiting than where Wake Forest has been making its hay lately, though. He has said from his intro presser that he feels Duke is a national brand and that every sport other than football has a national presence, and his goal is to take football to that level. It's going to take some sustained success (and NIL facilitation) to run with the big boys in recruiting, but it doesn't seem impossible for Duke to wind up with a class between 30-40 this year -- pretty substantial for a first-year coach at a place that isn't readymade to thrive in recruiting.

On the local influence, I can't speak too much to Cut's philosophy, but it certainly seems like Elko wants Duke to stop running 4th in NC (and that's not including the out-of-state schools that pluck from the top).

There are quite a few common targets -- Terry Simmons was one who Wake wanted, but their D-line spots filled up early. That's not to say he would've picked Wake over Duke if space allowed -- just that his timeline didn't match what Wake wanted.

Elko has made it clear that he wants Duke to aim a bit higher in recruiting than where Wake Forest has been making its hay lately, though. He has said from his intro presser that he feels Duke is a national brand and that every sport other than football has a national presence, and his goal is to take football to that level. It's going to take some sustained success (and NIL facilitation) to run with the big boys in recruiting, but it doesn't seem impossible for Duke to wind up with a class between 30-40 this year -- pretty substantial for a first-year coach at a place that isn't readymade to thrive in recruiting.

On the local influence, I can't speak too much to Cut's philosophy, but it certainly seems like Elko wants Duke to stop running 4th in NC (and that's not including the out-of-state schools that pluck from the top).
Good stuff Conor, nice detail! Thanks! OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill

Conor again thanks for being so gracious with your coverage on the free board. Let me ask you this, and don't spoil if it's a story idea, I understand. (100 years ago I was a journalist too).

Duke, while skimpy on 4 stars, has thrived with apparently high upside 3 stars. Hopefully we now have the STAFF in place to develop these young men even further! Any talk from Duke insiders concerned about other higher rated programs ultimately "poaching" a portion of the '23 class?? Thanks!!! OFC

I'm really impressed by Wake Forest's football success. They are usually way down in the recruiting rankings, but field very good teams. When in doubt, I would offer the lower ranked players with offers from Wake Forest

Did the RB from College Station, TX have an offer from Texas A&M? If so, a very impressive commitment

Conor again thanks for being so gracious with your coverage on the free board. Let me ask you this, and don't spoil if it's a story idea, I understand. (100 years ago I was a journalist too).

Duke, while skimpy on 4 stars, has thrived with apparently high upside 3 stars. Hopefully we now have the STAFF in place to develop these young men even further! Any talk from Duke insiders concerned about other higher rated programs ultimately "poaching" a portion of the '23 class?? Thanks!!! OFC
My pleasure! I think there's always concern, at least to some extent.

NIL has changed EVERYTHING in recruiting. As long as the top programs are able to swing recruits with it, there's going to be major concern.

I'm really impressed by Wake Forest's football success. They are usually way down in the recruiting rankings, but field very good teams. When in doubt, I would offer the lower ranked players with offers from Wake Forest

Did the RB from College Station, TX have an offer from Texas A&M? If so, a very impressive commitment
There are a few programs who have adopted that approach, as far as offering WF's commits because their evaluations and eye for talent has gained respect in coaching circles. They lost a LB to Oklahoma a couple of years ago (Shane Whitter) who was a low 3-star when he committed (IIRC), and after he flipped, all of a sudden he was a 4-star.

Marquise Collins didn't have a Texas A&M offer, a little surprising for a kid from there, but he had a ton of other offers (USC, Baylor, Utah among them).

My pleasure! I think there's always concern, at least to some extent.

NIL has changed EVERYTHING in recruiting. As long as the top programs are able to swing recruits with it, there's going to be major concern.

There are a few programs who have adopted that approach, as far as offering WF's commits because their evaluations and eye fCor talent has gained respect in coaching circles. They lost a LB to Oklahoma a couple of years ago (Shane Whitter) who was a low 3-star when he committed (IIRC), and after he flipped, all of a sudden he was a 4-star.

Marquise Collins didn't have a Texas A&M offer, a little surprising for a kid from there, but he had a ton of other offers (USC, Baylor, Utah among them).
Conor great points as usual. Thanks for the info and insight, and college fb is getting closer in the view. Ready for fall camp here!!!

OFC

Reactions: ConorONeill
so i do appeciate this article. i do have a few comments however. the lbs i dont thiink have been rated. the 5.4 is what rivals always puts on duke recruits till they look. dont think you can be high three star on two other services and rivals saying they dont belong on a P5 team. just my opinion. also david anderson has grown. per the other sites he is now at 280lbs so he might be a dt.
Per David Anderson's coach, he's 6-4, 265.

So yeah, that projects to a DT as long as it's good weight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT