ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Very glad that Mr hart2chesson received the news he wanted
ged thanks, hopefully we can garner someone good. An article (don't have the link) released yesterday listed three early cadidates Duke is looking at. The previously mentioned Monken at Army, Houston at ECU and former Duke receivers coach/recruiter/OC Scottie Montgomery. Duke fans will remember Scottie's very poor three year tenure at ECU. I do think he can recruit and coach receivers. Perhaps if permitted to run his own show (and not Cut's playbook)he could succeed at OC. Really have no interest in him as Head Coach.

OFC

OK. Name one school who ran the option and was recently and regularly successful against big 5 conference schools. Answer: there are none, even against ACC schools. Navy and Army win an upset game now and then, but the option offense would not be a big help in enabling Duke to compete on the ACC or higher level. On the other hand, Wake and Pitt are doing quite well with the RPO offense, just to name a couple.

Name one school who doesn't run RPO's, Zone read, jet read, some form of midline read. Option football is just about the only thing Urban Meyer ran at Utah and OSU. He'd visit with Monken and Paul Johnson every off season to talk scheme. He ran Gun option because he didn't want the label of being an "option" coach. It's funny to hear people say that they don't like option football but then will talk about zone read plays or RPO's.
Let's be clear: RPO means Run pass option right? The QB can give it, throw it, or...run the ball. How coaches design it may be different but the end goal is the same.

An up and comer probably won’t come here We’ll get a power 5 retread like cut, Mullen orgeron someone like that. I think this thread has distorted some of your perceptios re how much interest there is in Duke football. There is 0. No fans no admin support. No smart young coach is coming to Durham Go after them try to get the $ but I’m skeptical
Sorry, KD, but you are wrong about interest in Duke football. A few years ago there was interest. However over the last three years under Cut there has been little interest for watching a Cut coached team. Cut has eroded interest away. It is not that Duke fans do not care. They are just sick and tired of what Cut has been putting on the field, and then having to listen to him after humiliating loss after humiliating loss. Why go to a game if you already know that Duke will get beat by 25 or 30 points or more. Spurrier thought this was a great job. So did Cut. A competitive team will draw fans and interest. Too early to tell how much admin support there will be, but, given the amount of funds that flow into the football program from fans, alumni, and former players, I do not think that King is dumb enough not to pick up at least where White left off. So, I am happy Cut is gone, and that fact alone makes me optimistic that a younger but experienced coach will turn the team around. Wake got its coach from Ohio University of all places. Just so you know, the sky is NOT falling. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Name one school who doesn't run RPO's, Zone read, jet read, some form of midline read. Option football is just about the only thing Urban Meyer ran at Utah and OSU. He'd visit with Monken and Paul Johnson every off season to talk scheme. He ran Gun option because he didn't want the label of being an "option" coach. It's funny to hear people say that they don't like option football but then will talk about zone read plays or RPO's.
Let's be clear: RPO means Run pass option right? The QB can give it, throw it, or...run the ball. How coaches design it may be different but the end goal is the same.
You are not talkin apples and oranges. The option run by the miliary academies is overwhelmingly a run offense, marked by very few last-resort passing attempts. RPO, as its name clearly implies, places at least equal weight on the passing game and, moreover, is complemented by straight drop-back passing. The options run by Army and Navy are close relatives of the wish-bone, veer, and similar run-heavy offenses. They were referred to as options, not because passing was an integral part, but primarily because the QB had multiple RUNNING choices: keep the ball himself, hand the ball off to the fullback behind him, hand off or pitch to either of the two wingbacks, run reverses, etc. The veer, wishbone, and triple option were not used by Meyer at Utah, Florida, or Ohio State. They were used by Ga Tech and by some largers schools in the 80's and early 90's. OFC

Last edited:
Dave Clawson has been on record this season saying that Wake's offense is a triple-option, just that it's run out of sexier formations. This is spot on. Every offense in football is some variation of option.

@hart2chesson it's my pleasure! Trying to get a good balance of Duke and Wake Forest coverage.

Fwiw: I don't believe any hire will be made/announced this week. Seems like the earliest would be middle next week.

@ConorONeill very appreciative of all your interest in our small, but very loyal diehard group on here. A genuine thank you! OFC
Hart,
You may recall I was once part of that "small but diehard group", and you may also recall I played baseball with Leo. I still peek in on this thread, but overall DI became intolerable, so I switched to The Brotherhood. They don't care too much about football, and I'm pretty sure the same will be true of my first love...baseball.

Regarding a new coach, I unfortunately agree with Conor that Shawn Clark is very happy in Boone, but I would hate to see that App-to-Duke pipeline shut down like the Keystone. Think Chris Pollard...unprecedented baseball success.

Best regards.

Dave Clawson has been on record this season saying that Wake's offense is a triple-option, just that it's run out of sexier formations. This is spot on. Every offense in football is some variation of option.

@hart2chesson it's my pleasure! Trying to get a good balance of Duke and Wake Forest coverage.

Fwiw: I don't believe any hire will be made/announced this week. Seems like the earliest would be middle next week.
Do not dispute that one bit. No offense is 100% anything. But the ofenses run by the military academies are not RPO's. They are veer, wishbone types of offenses, which are very difeerent from what Clauson runs. Clauson's offensive schemes are brilliant, but not primarily run-based.

Hart,
You may recall I was once part of that "small but diehard group", and you may also recall I played baseball with Leo. I still peek in on this thread, but overall DI became intolerable, so I switched to The Brotherhood. They don't care too much about football, and I'm pretty sure the same will be true of my first love...baseball.

Regarding a new coach, I unfortunately agree with Conor that Shawn Clark is very happy in Boone, but I would hate to see that App-to-Duke pipeline shut down like the Keystone. Think Chris Pollard...unprecedented baseball success.

Best regards.

Nice to see you back. Don't be a stranger.

Out of left field, former Cowboys coach, Jason Garrett, is available. I don't think that he is a great choice, but he does have a nice resume'. He played at Princeton so he probably has an affinity for academics

As a Giants fan, I'm not thrilled about seeing Jason Garrett again. His Giants offense was very similar to Cut's offense. Admittedly, the Giants also have major Offensive line problems, but still, the Giants are very reluctant to fire people (obviously!) and he was fired.

Hart,

Best regards.
Will-
So glad you visited my friend. Wish you would stop by and visit with our little humble, but proud Duke FB group more often! Please tell Leo hello from myself, DI, Sky and all the OFC's that followed him!

You're right about Chris Pollard!!! What a boost for Duke baseball, and the man has BUILT A PROGRAM!!! I agree, I am sure Conor is correct and unfortunately Shawn Clark won't come off the mountain. Some of us here think Duke needs to play in-state foes like APP, ECU to get more fans in Wade!!! Take care buddy! OFC

Do not dispute that one bit. No offense is 100% anything. But the ofenses run by the military academies are not RPO's. They are veer, wishbone types of offenses, which are very difeerent from what Clauson runs. Clauson's offensive schemes are brilliant, but not primarily run-based.
Wake just gave Clawson a big contract extension over the weekend.,..Clawson recruited Holmberg, Bobo, Durant and other Duke players. However I gotta think Durant would have been only one to play much there this season. OFC

Haven't seen this posted yet on the football thread but as bad as our team was this year we did have some guys named to the All-ACC team.

1st team. Matae Durant RB
3rd team. Jake Bobo WR
3rd team. Dewayne Carter DT
3rd team. Shaka Heywood LB

Congrats to these four fine football players and thanks for choosing Duke.
On a side I note I looked for pre season Heisman Trophy candidate's name over and over and over and could not find it until I got to honorable mention and there it was along with 75 other guys. I guess he will be back next year for another run at All-ACC and All-American honors once again. :) . Ok guys help me here wasn't he the pre-season All-ACC player of the year for 2021 just like garrison brooks was the pre-season basketball All-ACC player of the year in the 20-21 season? Don't you just love the writers that graduated from the cheated u school of journalism. OFC

Wake just gave Clawson a big contract extension over the weekend.,..Clawson recruited Holmberg, Bobo, Durant and other Duke players. However I gotta think Durant would have been only one to play much there this season. OFC
I really like Bobo's game, I think Clawson does too. He would've started this season for them opposite A.T. Perry, over Taylor Morin (at least, IMO).

Durant's fumble issues would be a massive issue for Clawson. No program "likes" fumbles, but at Wake if you fumble, you might see the ball for the rest of the game.

I really like Bobo's game, I think Clawson does too. He would've started this season for them opposite A.T. Perry, over Taylor Morin (at least, IMO).

Durant's fumble issues would be a massive issue for Clawson. No program "likes" fumbles, but at Wake if you fumble, you might see the ball for the rest of the game.
Mateo did have some costly bobbles. Bobo can catch practically anything. Terrific hands!!! Leaves Duke with some impressive numbers this year. Ironically he may have one of the most UNUSUAL RECEPTIONS/TD RATES. Jake caught 74 balls, but for only a single score. I would think its one of the more bizarre stats this year. Unfortunately it underscores our red zone issues. OFC

Bobo's red-zone usage was ... puzzling, to me. I tried not to openly question too many things given it was my first season covering Duke, and I was only able to do it when Wake's schedule dictated, but I have no idea how Duke didn't utilize his size/hands/catch radius more.

Colorado State and Arizona both had guys over 80 catches with only one TD; those two and a RB from Miss. State are the only players in the country who caught more than 60 passes with only one TD.

Out of left field, former Cowboys coach, Jason Garrett, is available. I don't think that he is a great choice, but he does have a nice resume'. He played at Princeton so he probably has an affinity for academics
Jason Garrett is also a Duke Basketball fan. On several occassions I saw him with Tony Romo at Duke home games. However, his Princeton tie scares me. As I recall, during Duke's misguided attempts to become "the Harvard of the South", Duke hired Tom Harp, who I recall came from Cornell. My memory is not too good on this and a bunch of other things. OFC

Mateo did have some costly bobbles. Bobo can catch practically anything. Terrific hands!!! Leaves Duke with some impressive numbers this year. Ironically he may have one of the most UNUSUAL RECEPTIONS/TD RATES. Jake caught 74 balls, but for only a single score. I would think its one of the more bizarre stats this year. Unfortunately it underscores our red zone issues. OFC
Spot on, Hart.

Jason Garrett is also a Duke Basketball fan. On several occassions I saw him with Tony Romo at Duke home games. However, his Princeton tie scares me. As I recall, during Duke's misguided attempts to become "the Harvard of the South", Duke hired Tom Harp, who I recall came from Cornell. My memory is not too good on this and a bunch of other things. OFC
Harp was "famous" for trying to stop Princeton's field goal kicker, Charlie Gogolak, by having his defensive unit build a pyramid at the line of scrimmage. Of course Duke would go after such a genius!
OFC

Oh, I should add that we were told my freshman year that Harvard was the "Duke of the North."

Bobo's red-zone usage was ... puzzling, to me. I tried not to openly question too many things given it was my first season covering Duke, and I was only able to do it when Wake's schedule dictated, but I have no idea how Duke didn't utilize his size/hands/catch radius more.

Colorado State and Arizona both had guys over 80 catches with only one TD; those two and a RB from Miss. State are the only players in the country who caught more than 60 passes with only one TD.
Great research Conor! Thx for the info! Figured it had to be a rarity! No doubt we could have made him more of a weapon in those scenarios. OFC

gary smith dl to transfer portal. this one hurts but he was a cut kid. think we are going to get a few more of these because despite of our feelings the kids in general loved cut.

Last edited:
We have to hope that if we get a good hire he will bring in transfers who aren't getting playing time at the big football schools a la Cash, Wolabaugh, etc. That's why I hope that Nina was doing her homework all along and not starting this week.

We have to hope that if we get a good hire he will bring in transfers who aren't getting playing time at the big football schools a la Cash, Wolabaugh, etc. That's why I hope that Nina was doing her homework all along and not starting this week.
#InNinaITrust

OFC

Reactions: Liftee
Don't get your hopes up. Nina is a part of the "woke" Duke community. Winning for them has never been a priotity or even a remote goal, as long as nobody's feelings get hurt. After all, football is a male mysoginistic (sp?) Game. OFC P.S. I am still super po'd. Hart, Can you tell?

Last edited:
Sorry, KD, but you are wrong about interest in Duke football. A few years ago there was interest. However over the last three years under Cut there has been little interest for watching a Cut coached team. Cut has eroded interest away. It is not that Duke fans do not care. They are just sick and tired of what Cut has been putting on the field, and then having to listen to him after humiliating loss after humiliating loss. Why go to a game if you already know that Duke will get beat by 25 or 30 points or more. Spurrier thought this was a great job. So did Cut. A competitive team will draw fans and interest. Too early to tell how much admin support there will be, but, given the amount of funds that flow into the football program from fans, alumni, and former players, I do not think that King is dumb enough not to pick up at least where White left off. So, I am happy Cut is gone, and that fact alone makes me optimistic that a younger but experienced coach will turn the team around. Wake got its coach from Ohio University of all places. Just so you know, the sky is NOT falling. OFC
So there was interest and now there’s not? Complete nonsense I’ve enjoyed most of your posts over the years. This one was an exception

Don't get your hopes up. Nina is a part of the "woke" Duke community. Winning for them has never been a priotity or even a remote goal, as long as nobody's feelings get hurt. After all, football is a male mysoginistic (sp?) Game. OFC P.S. I am still super po'd. Hart, Can you tell?
DI I am still angry this "separation" from Cut was so delayed. Its really hurt our rep, and the decent brand Cut had built only to tear down himself. I hope we can bring in some folks like Cash for instance, like @Liftee said. Time will tell.

We need to focus in on some definite quality candidates VERY SOON! The number of head coaching VACANCIES is climbing daily! We don' t want to end up with someone no one else really wants.

Despite all the negative consequences of our football program, (three straight losing seasons, abysmal attendance, etc) we still are Duke University. Maybe I am being an idealist, but I still think we should be able to get a quality coach and staff. OFC

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with everything Hart just said. ;)
Lift thanks.....Certainly is a very fluid situation with all these coaching changes. There will be a lot of recruits wavering and decommitting. Whoever gets a solid candidate and staff early hits the ground running! OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
So there was interest and now there’s not? Complete nonsense I’ve enjoyed most of your posts over the years. This one was an exception
I have enjoyed your posts as well. So, that I get your drift, is it your position that there has NEVER been any interest in Duke Football from anyone? My only point is that there has been interest, even though not at the level of a lot of other schools. Were you here during the Spurrier years? Or when Duke won the ACC championship with Cut 4 or 5 years ago? If you would re-read my post you will see that I said that there was now "LITTLE" interest, not No interest. I said that we are at the LITTLE interest stage because Cut's coaching has eroded the interest which was there down to little interest. Like when you go from 15,000 to 20,000 attendance down to 3000. You are the one who stated that there was "NO" interest in Duke football. Attributing the statement to me is, at best, disingenuous. I suggest that before calling me "nonsensical", you should make sure that the statement you deemed to be nonsensical ("there was interest and now there's not") was in fact made by me, not just spun into the one you deride for your own purposes. If I had actually made that statement, I would certainly own it. Because, as I stated in my post, there has always been interest in Duke football, the statement that there has never been any interest would not make sense. On that much we can agree. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT