ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

The Gamecocks just fired will Muschamp. They rightly bit the bullet and will pay a huge ($13,000,000 over 4 years) buy-out. But it was something which had to be done to get the program on the right track. Now they are looking at Wake's coach among others. If anything, Cut is even more deserving of the same fate. His record over the past 4 years is no better, if not worse , than Muschamp's. Duke will not have to pay a huge buyout in order to make a change. Duke's schedule has been littered with weaker ACC teams and non-conference cream puffs, while Muschamp was faced with SEC powerhouses and Clemson every year. What is Duke waiting for? Maybe the likely humiliating loss to Wake will be the icing on the cake.

Reactions: hart2chesson
The Wake- Duke game is now Postponed due to positive covid-19 cases in the Wake program

Call me crazy but I will miss watching my team Saturday. I was holding out hope of notable improvement after the week off and beatdown by UNC. Duke was probably catching Wake at a good time, coming off the Deacs heartbreaking loss at Chapel Hill..... Coach Cut had teased the idea of Holmberg getting meaningful time Monday when he said Gunnar was looking good in practice.

OFC

I wonder if recruits are getting worried that there may be a coaching change and they don't know who their coach will be. Just a theory.

Reactions: geddoughton23
I wonder if recruits are getting worried that there may be a coaching change and they don't know who their coach will be. Just a theory.

They are very in tune to social media Liftee, I think you have a good point. OFC

also its kinda hard to commit in a month to an out of state school if you cant visit due to covid restrictions. i think there will be decommits all over the map soon.

This is true. However I cannot help but think the program is self-destructing. Whats worse, It appears ANOTHER ACC program, Va Tech is leading for Crim.

OFC

also just an fyi harrison wallace wr was reevaluated by 247 and jumped into their top 247 players and upgraded to a 4 star on their site. penn (diddle little boys) state and maryland both offered the same day

Last edited:
also just an fyi harrison wallace wr was reevaluated by 247 and jumped into their top 247 players and upgraded to a 4 star on their site. penn (diddle litte boys) state and maryland both offered the same day

UVA is in the hunt too. @surfdevil I will be shocked if we keep him.... Btw, heres an interesting tidbit:

Collins is safe I think- hes only in his 2nd year! Other two are in danger, agreed.... OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
UVA is in the hunt too. @surfdevil I will be shocked if we keep him.... Btw, heres an interesting tidbit:

Collins is safe I think- hes only in his 2nd year! Other two are in danger, agreed.... OFC
Just to get things started up again. Northwestern's recruiting classes have not been markedly better than Duke's; or stated differently, they have been mediocre like ours. Yet, look at how NW is performing now, undefeated and beating Wisconsin 17 - 7. Academics is not hurting them. The answer for their success obviously is that they are very well coached. Indeed, they lost more practice time due to COVID than Duke did. When will Cut finally admit that it is not the players who are responsible for Duke's sad situation and when will he make changes in his staff?

OFC

Just to get things started up again. Northwestern's recruiting classes have not been markedly better than Duke's; or stated differently, they have been mediocre like ours. Yet, look at how NW is performing now, undefeated and beating Wisconsin 17 - 7. Academics is not hurting them. The answer for their success obviously is that they are very well coached. Indeed, they lost more practice time due to COVID than Duke did. When will Cut finally admit that it is not the players who are responsible for Duke's sad situation and when will he make changes in his staff?

OFC

Preach to the choir my friend!! Even if Cut is not terminated at year's end, Cut must look himself in the mirror and ADMIT he cannot serve as OC. Its too much for him, and detracts tremendously from our offensive output.

Obviously Cut is an EXTREMELY STUBBORN person, and I dont think he can admit it. At that point it will be up to Kevin White to DEMAND a new OC from OUTSIDE the current staff, which is basically cronies of Cut, and "Yes" men.

OFC

hart2chesson, I hope that you enjoyed the UNC vs Notre Dame game. I was transported back 25 years to Mack Brown's first term in Chapel Hill. He is content to lose by a respectable score at home. Notre Dame was much better in the trenches. And Notre Dame has better coaching. Mack had five chances to gamble when the odds were in his favor, but he played it close to the vest. For example, he kicked the FG on 4th and 1 at the Notre Dame 15 with 1:30 left in the first half instead of getting the first down and bleeding the clock. It left enough time for Notre Dame to kick a FG on the last play of the half

hart2chesson, I hope that you enjoyed the UNC vs Notre Dame game. I was transported back 25 years to Mack Brown's first term in Chapel Hill. He is content to lose by a respectable score at home. Notre Dame was much better in the trenches. And Notre Dame has better coaching. Mack had five chances to gamble when the odds were in his favor, but he played it close to the vest. For example, he kicked the FG on 4th and 1 at the Notre Dame 15 with 1:30 left in the first half instead of getting the first down and bleeding the clock. It left enough time for Notre Dame to kick a FG on the last play of the half

I thoroughly enjoyed the game ged. I thought it was exciting and very well-fought by both teams. Notre Dame proved worthy of its lofty ranking, and UNC proved again its a SOLID TOP 25 or 10 team in my opinion. Yesterday was probably the first and last time you will see Sam Howell of UNC as only the 2nd best qb on the field. Howell is the best I have seen in the ACC since Ben Bennett played at DUKE.However Ian Book won the qb match-up yesterday, aided in a big part by the battle "in the trenches" which made life tough for Sam.Also, Book showed he's ridiculously athletic with some of his escapes and Houdini like throws.Still if I am an NFL GM and need a qb, I take Sam.

To your point on Mack's lack of gambling, I was a bit surprised UNC tried no gadget plays- there usually good for a couple a game. The UNC fg decision you mentioned was important. It left ND time to drive and get its own tie producing kick. That seemed to take the wind out of UNC's sails. A halftime lead in its pocket over perhaps the nation's best team would have generated momentum. Ged you can be proud of your team!!! OFC

I despise N.D. especially in football. Don't like the fact they are in the ACC. Don't like the fact that they when they joined the ACC they weren't a paret of te ACC in football. What dummy allowed that. With that said I was a big N. D. football fan yesterday. OFC

WELL.......ITS FINALLY HERE!!!! Another Duke FB game day!!!! Yeah I know, big deal right.....Good news is its a game like Syracuse we COULD and probably SHOULD WIN.Bad news is Cut implied over past 3 weeks we would probably see some personnel changes, yet the two deep charts are the same. In other words Chase Brice gets the call at qb, but Gunnar Holmberg deserved to start.

Oh well, just adds more fuel to fire to for the outster of Cut. Even if we beat hapless Ga Tech today, he must be terminated. Don't know much about the Yellow Jackets, except they have some very YOUNG TALENT and are better coached. Geoff Collins is building a program and is a good recruiter. Vegas has this game a toss-up. I like Duke 34-24, because WE DO have more veteran talent. The game is set for a 7:00 start on RSN.

OFC

You guys giving Mack Brown to much credit. He’s not a good in game X and O’s coach and never has been. That’s why Spurrier sarcastically referred to him as Mr Football. The coaching is being done by the two coordinators. Heck, half the time Mack doesn’t even know where he’s at let alone what’s going on on the field. What a contrast yesterday watching him and Kelly on the sideline. Kelly very engaged in every thing happening on the field and Mack just standing around or running around asking what’s happening out there.

You guys giving Mack Brown to much credit. He’s not a good in game X and O’s coach and never has been. That’s why Spurrier sarcastically referred to him as Mr Football. The coaching is being done by the two coordinators. Heck, half the time Mack doesn’t even know where he’s at let alone what’s going on on the field. What a contrast yesterday watching him and Kelly on the sideline. Kelly very engaged in every thing happening on the field and Mack just standing around or running around asking what’s happening out there.

Dukeman I would love for you to tell me where I gave Mack any "credit" in my post. I correctly implied North Carolina has an excellent team. I have ALWAYS agreed with the "ol ball coach" about the "Mr Football." Mack is no "Xs and Os" guy, amen. However he does manage to do something Cutcliffe cannot do: Recruit well(Mack has great gift of gab) and surrounds himself w/an excellent staff. He simply stays outta the way-as he should. OFC

Sorry Hart I stand corrected. Should have said others give Mack to much credit. Meaning the media. National and local and of course Cheat fans. Hear the announcers swooning over him yesterday? The ESPN connection.

You were right on when you said he has a gift for gab which serves him well in recruiting. In addition to the impermissible benefits, no show classes and probably a good bit of money to sway prospective recruits to Chapel Hill.

Sorry Hart I stand corrected. Should have said others give Mack to much credit. Meaning the media. National and local and of course Cheat fans. Hear the announcers swooning over him yesterday? The ESPN connection.

You were right on when you said he has a gift for gab which serves him well in recruiting. In addition to the impermissible benefits, no show classes and probably a good bit of money to sway prospective recruits to Chapel Hill.

Good post Dukeman. OFC

Dukeman no problem and you stated the entire Mack and UNC scenario PERFECTLY!!!!!! Mack is fawned upon by the media so much because he buddies up to 'em getting on a first name basis.Of course you're also spot-on per the corruption, which started during Mack's first time at Chapel Hill. Marvelous post! OFC

One of the best lessons I ever learned was to say a person's name over and over in conversation when first meeting him. Lesson learned from Mack Brown. I felt silly at first, but it works

One of the best lessons I ever learned was to say a person's name over and over in conversation when first meeting him. Lesson learned from Mack Brown. I felt silly at first, but it works

I remember when my folks were alive we would be watching Mack and he would be getting asked a question. I would always go into Mack Mode and say "listen, he'll say: John, blah blah blah......" Never failed, he always answered by questioner's first name.... OFC

Mack used to say that his defense was " flying around the football". It drove me crazy, but I wish he would say it every once in awhile for nostalgia

There were too many crazy plays for me to watch. Getting tackled at the one on the kickoff was bizarre. And then you have to QB sneak the ball away from the goal line. Fumbling in the end zone for a TD cannot happen

Says a lot about the state of the program when we’re talking about Mack brown instead of the game that happened today

Lmao, you're right Pix!! I am still trying to forget it.In all seriousness, tonight simply put an EXCLAMATION POINT on the need for change. Cut MUST GO, and a younger NEW COACH with drive and energy needs to bring in his own staff. The days of keeping Cut around because he improved the program are over. He has literally blown up what he built!

I do not know any other way to say it, but we are beyond repair under the current staff. Cut made a colossal fool of himself at halftime, telling viewers "Duke was about to play its best half of the year." Theres a HUGE DISCONNECT between players and coaching staff. Kevin White MUST take action immediately. Fire Cut as soon as possible, hit grounnd running recruiting! OFC

Last edited:
Lmao, you're right Pix!! I am still trying to forget it.In all seriousness, tonight simply put an EXCLAMATION POINT on the need for change. Cut MUST GO, and a younger NEW COACH with drive and energy needs to bring in his own staff. The days of keeping Cut around because he improved the program are over. He has literally blown up what he built!

I do not know any other way to say it, but we are beyond repair under the current staff. Cut made a colossal fool of himself at halftime, telling viewers "Duke was about to play its best half of the year. Theres a HUGE DISCONNECT between players and coaching staff. Kevin White MUST take action immediately. Fire Cut as soon as possible, hit grounnd running recruiting! OFC
Our defensive line was porous...again. Where were our linebackers? Cut has had 3 years to teach the team how to tackle. Why insert running plays for Bryce? He is slower than most of the other team's defensive players. 5 turnovers again!! Giving up 56 points to a nothing team like GT is an embarrassment. I can go on but am just too po'd to state more of the obvious.

OFC

ugh. another lousy game. 5 more turnovers. that is now 30 FOR THE SEASON. not a well coached team. Cut has lost this team. i think the transfer gates will be a flood this year. i dont see how anyone can defend Cut at this point. yes he made us better, but remember 2013 was 7 seasons ago. we have been on the down escalator ever since.
just saw this stat
coaches with as much time as cut in P5 ranks
kirk frentz iowa
gary patterson tcu
mike gundy okst
kyle whittingham tcu
pat fitzgerald northwestern
nick saban bama
dabo swinney clemson
cut only coach on this list with under .500 record and no conference championship

Last edited:
sorry was up in the pinehurst area for thanksgiving to spend time with my 91 year old mother (who has no internet) and thought that this would be reported but.....
BANG BANG
nick morris a 6'3'' 225 ilb from austin texas westlake high school has committed.
he was a Penn commit and until this year had played at a private school in conn. therefore no one had really evaluated him. he moved to texas and is on the defending class 6-2A defending state champ team. eyes are opening.
through 8 games he has 53 tackles, 12 sacks and 1 forced fumble. rivals has not rated so look for the standard 5.4 cop out grade. 247 and espn have him initially as a solid 3 star with more evaluation to come. he really has come out of nowhere and is a huge signing for us. he plays angry. go watch his huddle tapes. he also has the size coming in that we rarely get at duke. hopefully a sign that maybe a switch to a 4-3 coming?

also spoilers alert one more coming this week

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT