ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

King, so sorry to hear that. I often say, the pandemic is not important until you lose someone close to you.

I was surprised to see Lawrence also. I don't know what the rules are for college football--some coaches have masks but don't wear them properly, players don't wear them at all. It made no sense to me that he'd be there but not playing. Past the contagious stage but not well enough to play? I just don't know.

True to form, Cut blamed the team's performance on the players. Nothing about the system, coaching, play-calling. His "fix" is to demote some starters and bring in new subs. Really. Like we have all sorts of great talent sitting on the bench. He did praise Gunner's second half performance against the Cheats' defensive subs.

Reactions: hart2chesson
True to form, Cut blamed the team's performance on the players. Nothing about the system, coaching, play-calling. His "fix" is to demote some starters and bring in new subs. Really. Like we have all sorts of great talent sitting on the bench. He did praise Gunner's second half performance against the Cheats' defensive subs.

DI he is much too stubborn to EVER change his system. As my former Duke player friend who played for Cut said: "Its his way or the highway."
I am afraid as long as Cut runs the show we are stuck. Much as I hate to admit it, UNC will dominate us in all likelihood the next few years, because they knock us down even further per in-state recruiting. Duke football could be very easily turning into the wasteland it was in the Franks/Roof era. When your coach admits "we've hit bottom" its bad news....This is especially true with the optimistic Cut who another website refers to as "Tony Robbins."

Last edited:
skysdad, are you still a Colts fan? What caused you to cheer for them? How good was Art Donovan? I only knew Donovan from the David Letterman Show

Reactions: skysdad
skysdad, are you still a Colts fan? What caused you to cheer for them? How good was Art Donovan? I only knew Donovan from the David Letterman Show

Oh yea. Looking forward for them to make to playoffs. Donovan was a funny man. Thete used to be a show where he and teamate Ordell Brasse would tell old stories. Brassse never said much because he was laughing at Donovan's stories. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: geddoughton23
Johnny Unitas, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Gino Marchetti, Ordell Brasse and Artie Donovan a few names from those great Colt teams. Also, a guy named Mike Mad Dog Curtis played on some of this good Colt teams.

Johnny Unitas, Raymond Berry, Lenny Moore, Gino Marchetti, Ordell Brasse and Artie Donovan a few names from those great Colt teams. Also, a guy named Mike Mad Dog Curtis played on some of this good Colt teams.

John Mackey was the best tight end if his day also. He just used to run over people. OFC

Doesn't really matter. We could have 5 Stephon Gilmores back there, and we would only lose by a few less points. Not he players. Truth!
Agreed....We do not know the full meaning behind "personnel issues." Cut referenced this post game Saturday. That could cover anything from injuries to player apathy, etc.

Maybe I am being an optimist, but I cannot help but think we will see some fairly drastic changes line-up wise between now and Wake Forest on the 21st.Namely I am referencing Gunnar. He should be under center from the opening snap!

OFC

Agreed....We do not know the full meaning behind "personnel issues." Cut referenced this post game Saturday. That could cover anything from injuries to player apathy, etc.

Maybe I am being an optimist, but I cannot help but think we will see some fairly drastic changes line-up wise between now and Wake Forest on the 21st.Namely I am referencing Gunnar. He should be under center from the opening snap!

OFC
It is sad that our 2 best QB's are Gunnar and Bryce. Gunnar has yet to prove himself, which is hard to do if you are never given a chance. You would think that Cut, the QB whisperer, would have at least one quality QB already in the program, rather then relying on an unproven transfer who is turning out to be a dud. Sad.

I don't understand this "quarterback whisperer" theory with Cut. Even Daniel Jones is showing flaws in his game (i.e., failure to protect the ball) that you would have thought would be resolved in college. The others never really improved that much and Cut has never recruited a 4 star QB (Jack Sears would have been the first but we see what happened there).

Again, Cut did wonderful things with the program but making it QB University was not one of them.

I don't understand this "quarterback whisperer" theory with Cut. Even Daniel Jones is showing flaws in his game (i.e., failure to protect the ball) that you would have thought would be resolved in college. The others never really improved that much and Cut has never recruited a 4 star QB (Jack Sears would have been the first but we see what happened there).

Again, Cut did wonderful things with the program but making it QB University was not one of them.
The QB Whisperer theory really has nothing to do with what little Cut has done at Duke, which is correctly summarized in your post. It stems from his coaching of the Mannings and a couple of others at Tennessee and Ole Miss. I use the term fascetiously (sp?) and sarcastically. Thought you would understand the derivation. Explain it to him Hart.

The QB Whisperer theory really has nothing to do with what little Cut has done at Duke, which is correctly summarized in your post. It stems from his coaching of the Mannings and a couple of others at Tennessee and Ole Miss. I use the term fascetiously (sp?) and sarcastically. Thought you would understand the derivation. Explain it to him Hart.

It really is a "sarcastic" reference as DI noted Lift. The sports media built Cut into a qb guru after the success of the Mannings in the pros, and then DJ's 1st round pick by the Giants only promoted the myth.

I think Cut knows plenty about football obviously, but feel he got lucky to have the Mannings who were naturally gifted at the position. Jones was a good qb for Duke, but not "Manning type talent." Daniel helped enable us to two 3rd tier bowls in his 3 years behind center, showed lots of potential, could run but tended to turn it over too. Cut's further development of Jones would have enabled us to a little more success I think, and his pro career so far is fairly mediocre. The "great qb whisperer" moniker is a misnomer. OFC

It really is a "sarcastic" reference as DI noted Lift. The sports media built Cut into a qb guru after the success of the Mannings in the pros, and then DJ's 1st round pick by the Giants only promoted the myth.

I think Cut knows plenty about football obviously, but feel he got lucky to have the Mannings who were naturally gifted at the position. Jones was a good qb for Duke, but not "Manning type talent." Daniel helped enable us to two 3rd tier bowls in his 3 years behind center, showed lots of potential, could run but tended to turn it over too. Cut's further development of Jones would have enabled us to a little more success I think, and his pro career so far is fairly mediocre. The "great qb whisperer" moniker is a misnomer. OFC
Knew I could count on you, Bro'. OFC

Wake Forest, Duke's next opponent, has only committed one turnover this season. Duke has lost 25 fumbles and interceptions this season

Wow! Incredible stat ged.If that pattern holds, next Saturday will be an even longer day than I thought. OFC

Wake Forest doesn't force an unusual number of turnovers. They have 16 takeaways and one turnover. Their secondary is slow, and the offense is good. They commit very few penalties.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
An amazing game. A lucky result for my Tar Heels. UNC went to talented defensive freshmen out of desperation, and the Wake defense ran out of gas

ged if Sam Howell isnt player of the year in ACC there should be investigation! I know Clemson will argue Lawrence, Angier and Notre Dame Book, but Howell is a cut above! In fact if North Carolina were undefeated he would lead for The Heisman. OFC

Javonte Williams was the MVP today. Incredible blocking. Howell was great, but every time a run, catch, or block was needed, it was Javonte Williams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT