ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

My feeling this morning is why should Duke have loyalty to the ACC if this is how they are going to be treated? Two Cheater football games and the UVA (lack of) foul call in basketball last year. I don't need Duke to be favored in every game, just treat us fairly.

Hadn't read it, but I agree! It's time someone called the ACC out (ala Coach K in '85) about "the double standard" in ACC football officiating. This has become absurd!!

OFC
The Ole Ball Coach went nuts in Raliegh after a particularly eggegious call against Duke and was supended by the UNCheat contolled league for a week. Hart, I am sure you remember that. OFC

In other news, Duke HOFer Hal McElhaney passed away last week. Here's the release from Duke:

DURHAM – Duke Athletics Hall of Fame member Hal McElhaney passed away on November 7 in Greensboro, N.C. He was 88 years old.

Born August 31, 1935, in Burgettstown, Pa., McElhaney lettered three seasons on the gridiron at Duke from 1955-57, twice earning honorable mention All-America and second team All-ACC honors as a fullback in 1956 and 1957. Additionally, he was a two-time recipient of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy, which is presented annually to the top blocker in the ACC, earning the honor in both 1956 and 1957. He capped his outstanding collegiate career by captaining the 1957 Duke football squad to a 6-3-2 record, Orange Bowl berth and final national ranking of No. 16 in the Associated Press poll.

A two-sport standout at Duke, McElhaney won the ACC Wrestling Championship at the 191-pound weight class in both 1956 and 1957. He was named the MVP of the ACC Championships in 1956.

McElhaney was inducted into the Duke Athletics Hall of Fame in 1995.

Following his time at Duke, McElhaney was an eighth round draft selection of the Philadelphia Eagles but forewent professional football to attend graduate school and fulfill duties to the United States Marine Corps Reserves. He returned to Duke as an assistant football coach, mentoring the linebackers, for the 1964 and 1965 seasons. He later served as an administrative assistant to the director of athletics, helping lead fundraising efforts to building Duke's Pascal Field House.

McElhaney made a career in the athletic field as the Director of Athletics at Ohio University and Assistant Athletic Director for compliance at NC State University.

A Celebration of Life Mass will be held at St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church in Apex, N.C., on Thursday, November 30th at 11 a.m. Interment of his ashes will be after the service in the church columbarium. The service will be live-streamed on their YouTube page.

The Ole Ball Coach went nuts in Raliegh after a particularly eggegious call against Duke and was supended by the UNCheat contolled league for a week. Hart, I am sure you remember that. OFC
Never, ever forget DI. There's got to be a way to institute change, perhaps thru AD Nina King. She's smart, savvy and one gutsy lady. Much the opposite attributes of her predecessor. OFC

A&M might be focusing on Dabo, but the coach who is staunchly against using the transfer portal is going to go to a place where the culture is rotting from within and immediately fix that without an influx of transfers?

Kind of think that's a match made in hell.
Extend that to the Nil as well. Texas A & M is suited to take advantage of this era with their oil money and huge alum base, but I’m not sure if Dabo is fully on board Clemson’s talent appears to have dropped off, not off a cliff but noticeably, since Nil and the transfer portal. His All Lives Matter t shirt may not have helped recruiting

Extend that to the Nil as well. Texas A & M is suited to take advantage of this era with their oil money and huge alum base, but I’m not sure if Dabo is fully on board Clemson’s talent appears to have dropped off, not off a cliff but noticeably, since Nil and the transfer portal. His All Lives Matter t shirt may not have helped recruiting
Ehh. Just because they're not using NIL in portal doesn't mean they don't have NIL.

FSU, Louisville and Clemson have more NIL available than anybody else in the ACC. Difference is that FSU and Louisville aggressively use the portal; Clemson uses its NIL to retain talent.

Their biggest drop has occurred at WR. I think that's more of a development problem than talent.

In a weird way, the recent "slide" may help keep Elko. All fans outside Duke see is Duke is 6-4 and loss 3-of-4. They do not look deeper and see all the injuries and the fact the cheats clearly won because of the refs (everyone looks at one not reviewed call. The refs screwed up basic game management).

We see clearly Duke is moving in the right direction...

Edit: the great Conor O'Neill liked a post of mine. I am feeling like I achieved something great!

Last edited:
In a weird way, the recent "slide" may help keep Elko. All fans outside Duke see is Duke is 6-4 and loss 3-of-4. They do not look deeper and see all the injuries and the fact the cheats clearly won because of the refs (everyone looks at one not reviewed call. The refs screwed up basic game management).

We see clearly Duke is moving in the right direction...

Edit: the great Conor O'Neill liked a post of mine. I am feeling like I achieved something great!

Yes I thought that as well. A & M boosters aren't going to want a new coach with an 8-4 record (which we will be extremely happy and proud with).

I'm concerned that we are losing a lot of guys on the O and D lines as well as the defensive backfield between this year and next. A lot of people are going to have to be ready to move up for next year. And while I like what Loftis is doing, Riley may be gone next year, who knows.

I know that if we don't beat the Cheaters next year, soundly so the refs can't take it away, I'll be disapointed.

A good read as always Conor. Virginia looked ready to turn the corner after defeating UNC. (Honestly their win at Chapel Hill doesn't concern me too much, as UNC wasn't up for the game). I think there are definitely areas we can exploit, and Duke should be able to keep their running game in check.

My biggest concern is Duke's PSYCHE, not only for the Wahoos, but remainder of year. Are we still thinking about the UNC game when we take the field Saturday??? (I know I am, and I'm just a fan.) That effin' game, those SORRY, BIASED officials, TWO YEARS IN A ROW!! Can we possibly truly be up for this one and Pitt??? Guess we'll see.

Also let's be real honest here. Duke players are smart, know what's happening. Our younger players have to be also thinking about their OWN FUTURES, given the possibility Elko moves on after this year. That's ANOTHER DISTRACTION in my opinion this week.

This game will be the HARDEST GAME for Duke to be focused on this season. It's a real character check for the team. However if we're not ready, I must admit I understand. I don't hold back, don't mince words. I love Duke TOO MUCH,and hoping somehow we pull thru.

OFC

Thank you Conor.

I think Duke will be p---d off and will come out strong. They will probably be happy to have refs that call an even game.

I'd like to see the defense move around and confuse the young QB and create some turnovers. I have to believe that if Grayson builds on his 4th quarter success against the Cheats we will score points. If we can come out strong, get ahead by 10 points or so, UVA may have trouble coming back.

I don't think the players will be affected by the speculation about Elko leaving. I am sure Elko has them focused on the next game.

Thank you Conor.

I think Duke will be p---d off and will come out strong. They will probably be happy to have refs that call an even game.

I'd like to see the defense move around and confuse the young QB and create some turnovers. I have to believe that if Grayson builds on his 4th quarter success against the Cheats we will score points. If we can come out strong, get ahead by 10 points or so, UVA may have trouble coming back.

I don't think the players will be affected by the speculation about Elko leaving. I am sure Elko has them focused on the next game.
Liftee, I sure hope you're on target!!! OFC

Really enjoyed reading Jordan Moore's comments about Loftis. Almost sounds like Jordan believes Grayson has better upside than Riley(I do think he has better touch on his throws than Riley).

I wish I could get upbeat about tomorrow. I am still bummed how we got screwed at Chapel Hill by the officials. Oh how I hope I am wrong, ( I want 9 wins again!!). UVA:31, DUKE:20.

OFC

I did not read into Jordan's comments about Loftis what Hart did, but I like to hear our best receiver says good things about his QB.

I'm with Hart about the score. That sounds about right. However a 1 point win would be fine with me as well.

The difference in quality (and cash value) of a bowl for a 6 win team as opposed to 8 wins is tremendous.

Finally gameday has arrived!! I believe Coach Elko will have us ready to play this afternoon and hopefully none of those cheating UNCHEAT graduate officials will be doing our game today so we can get a fair shake!! GO DUKE BEAT THE WAHOOS!!!

OFC

Really enjoyed reading Jordan Moore's comments about Loftis. Almost sounds like Jordan believes Grayson has better upside than Riley(I do think he has better touch on his throws than Riley).

I wish I could get upbeat about tomorrow. I am still bummed how we got screwed at Chapel Hill by the officials. Oh how I hope I am wrong, ( I want 9 wins again!!). UVA:31, DUKE:20.

OFC
Hart, that is the most negative post I have seen you make. You really are Bummed out, aren't you? A few cold brewskies can fix that though. 😁 OFC

Wow, UVA must be teed off about college Game Day being at JMU this morning! Is UVA like the 3rd best football team in the State of Virginia? Let's keep it that way!

What the hell do we need to do for a team to get called for holding. For all this work to try to save the ACC, you think they might be better at keeping teams with competent refs...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT