ADVERTISEMENT

duke football news

Hart, that is the most negative post I have seen you make. You really are Bummed out, aren't you? A few cold brewskies can fix that though. 😁 OFC
It'll be beer chaser tonite DI!! Honestly I was "bummed" about last week, and saw this loss coming. Flat after UNC loss, and distraction of the Elko coaching elsewhere next year rumors.Bowl game really went south prestige-wise today.

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
so conor did you know about riley's surgery and what it was? announcers said he might not be back by bowl game.
Had been told off record, so couldn't report it. Just going off of Elko's "going to be out for an extended period of time," he was never going to be available for this game.

Guys I am not the type to tell you I told you so, but.....we're 6-5 now... Elko said before the game on radio, we've "flipped the switch" and we'll be ready. SMH.....He better worry about us, his stock is dropping.....OFC

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
A truly dismal performance. That we couldn’t bury a Virginia team that seemed intent on shooting itself in the foot penalty-wise is astonishing. Colandria is the real deal, but our defense was deplorable. What happened to the D that shut down Clemson and, except for one play, Notre Dame? After the NC State game, our D has been shredded. Johnston is correct in that we miss Riley’s running, but this game falls largely on the D (although Hagans’ consistent failure to make a big catch didn’t help - I think Wall should take his place). I have no optimism about the Pitt game.

A truly dismal performance. That we couldn’t bury a Virginia team that seemed intent on shooting itself in the foot penalty-wise is astonishing. Colandria is the real deal, but our defense was deplorable. What happened to the D that shut down Clemson and, except for one play, Notre Dame? After the NC State game, our D has been shredded. Johnston is correct in that we miss Riley’s running, but this game falls largely on the D (although Hagans’ consistent failure to make a big catch didn’t help - I think Wall should take his place). I have no optimism about the Pitt game.
And our coach is APPARENTLY running around interviewing for other jobs:

Reactions: christophero
I heard the rumors about Riley leaving but this news that Elko has already interviewed at Mich. St. after saying all sorts of things about not leaving is really upsetting.

He does have a history of moving around a lot. But he clearly has a lot of unfinished business at Duke.

Now I'm thinking that this did have a large bearing on the outcome yesterday.

He has done a good job here and certainly has the right to make more money. But it will be hard to preach loyalty to your team if he is interviewing for other jobs in season. If he did interview. Will Duke offer him a raise to stay?

Last edited:
^ so we just gave elko and his staff a raise just a few months ago. also one of the other coaches on that list has already called it a flat out lie and that he did not interview with mich state. i would think elko would wait for a better job than the spartans.
I’d like to see Elko come out and deny the interview report as well.

I don't know why Riley would leave, unless he feels he isn't progressing enough.

I always felt he was a perfect Duke guy. Duke gave him a chance when he wasn't getting recruited and made him a star. I'd be disappointed to see him go. But these are all rumors and I don't like to believe that stuff until it happens.

Of course I think Oswald acted alone.

Reactions: jeffrey236
I thought Riley was more accurate last year. He seemed to drop down and throw sidearm this year. He has the physical gifts to be a pro, but needs work on his technique.

I hope he doesn't think he can get better QB coaching somewhere else. He seemed a real "Duke guy" in his interviews during the Gameday weekend.

I thought Riley was more accurate last year. He seemed to drop down and throw sidearm this year. He has the physical gifts to be a pro, but needs work on his technique.

I hope he doesn't think he can get better QB coaching somewhere else. He seemed a real "Duke guy" in his interviews during the Gameday weekend.
Agree on all points Lift!!

OFC

Reactions: surfdevil
I wish Elko would clarify where he stands. It would be a great time for him to come out and tell the world he is staying put. The longer he doesn't do that the more I worry.

Although, I for one think highly of his assistants and could see one of them eventually be the head coach, even despite our late season slump.

Guess not.

I had this conversation with somebody on the way to the presser. I've reported what I know and what I think on the premium board. Feel confident in my sourcing and don't really feel like giving that stuff away for free, you know?

Reactions: jeffrey236
From what I have read this morning, Elko is very high up on A & M's list, if not numero uno. The question is as to whether he should feel that he owes Duke anything. On the one hand, we have given him everything he has asked for and an opportunity to prove that he is a very viable head coaching candidate. Without his time at Duke, he probably would not be considered for the A & M job. On the other, he is doing what he was hired to do, bringing Duke back to repectability (15 - 7 over two years, two bowls, competitive with Clemson, ND, Free Shoes U, UNCheat). So, if his experience at and familiarity with A & M tells him that that job would be in his best interests and he is offered the job, he can take it guiltlessly. However, if money is not the deciding factor and if he and his family would be happier here, then he stays. The only indication of his inlination is his noncommittal statement that he is happy right here and has no reason to move. My current feeling is that the odds in favor of him staying are 50/50. One good sign is that Elko is till making offers to Ivy League players in the portal, which is a situation which suggests that he may be giving assurances that he is not leaving. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
From what I have read this morning, Elko is very high up on A & M's list, if not numero uno. The question is as to whether he should feel that he owes Duke anything. On the one hand, we have given him everything he has asked for and an opportunity to prove that he is a very viable head coaching candidate. Without his time at Duke, he probably would not be considered for the A & M job. On the other, he is doing what he was hired to do, bringing Duke back to repectability (15 - 7 over two years, two bowls, competitive with Clemson, ND, Free Shoes U, UNCheat). So, if his experience at and familiarity with A & M tells him that that job would be in his best interests and he is offered the job, he can take it guiltlessly. However, if money is not the deciding factor and if he and his family would be happier here, then he stays. The only indication of his inlination is his noncommittal statement that he is happy right here and has no reason to move. My current feeling is that the odds in favor of him staying are 50/50. One good sign is that Elko is till making offers to Ivy League players in the portal, which is a situation which suggests that he may be giving assurances that he is not leaving. OFC
FWIW ONLY!! Mike Valenti on Detroit sports talk radio "Mike and Rico Show" has Elko or Jonathan Smith of Oregon St taking the Michigan St job. Incidentally, he is VERY HIGH on Elko's coaching ability. He says Elko also is not shy about seeking frequent pay raises.

OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT