ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Basketball Mt. Rushmore

dukehokie

Jun 27, 2005
The past game thread got me thinking, who would you put on a Duke version of Mt. Rushmore. The top 4 don't have to be the best players or coaches Duke has ever had, it would be the most influential members the program has ever seen. Put up your four and add a reason why.

Vic Bubas - Duke's first great coach and the reason Duke was a sustainable program in an atmosphere where a private, academic school in the giant ACC would have a tough time. Bubas laid a foundation that the coaches after him (Foster, Waters, Krzyzewski, etc.) could call upon when speaking of tradition and excellence when visiting a young recruit's living room.

Mike Krzyzewski - I mean do I need to explain? Greatest college basketball coach of all time and in the discussion of greatest basketball coach or even just coach of any sport.

Johnny Dawkins - The recruit that laid the groundwork for Coach K's exceptional career. Without Johnny, there may not have been a Laettner, Ferry, or Hill. K's job may not have been saved either.

Christian Laettner - Christian had a career most guys couldn't even dream of having. Widely regarded as a top 10 all-time collegiate player, you know Laettner's specs. Post-Dawkins, his teams kept the momentum the '86 and '87 classes built further cementing Duke's latest run of excellence. Laettner seems like an obvious choice here.

Coach K - Reasons are obvious how he has influenced the program
Tom Butters - He hired coach K. How influential on the program was that?
Laettner - Just can't see a Duke Rushmore without him on it.
Battier - A model for what a Duke player should be. Great athlete, high basketball I.Q., great student, just a perfect representative for the team and school. Surprised myself putting him here because he probably isn't one of my top 5 favorite players.

I really wanted Wojo on there for his fire and leave it all on the floor effort. I wish every Duke player played with his energy and effort. But we can only pick 4

Can only relate to who I've seen.
Coach K. Has made Duke the most polarized program in all of basketball

Johnny Dawkins. Believed in K before K was what he is now. Started the K era

Christian Laettner. The reason Duke is probably hated to the extent they are by many out there. Women loved him, men hated him. The ultimate warrior and he backed it up on the court

Shane Battier. In my mind K's best leader. A coach on the floor. He made K's job easier.

I want to protest the very concept of Mt Rushmore first... then I'll cave and answer.

We use "Mt. Rushmore" as a label for "the best," but that's never what it was about. It was completely compromised from the beginning. There was political bickering about equal representation of both major political parties. Teddy Roosevelt got in b/c he was all into parks. He was an awfully good President, but top 4? I don't think so.

Also, 4 isn't even a full team in basketball.

K, JD, Laet, Groat

I think K, Laettner and Dawkins have to be on here, no matter what. The last one I could go a number of different ways but I think I'm going to go with Bobby. He was the conductor where Christian was the engine. And while yes Duke had a history before K, this took it to the pinnacle and the measuring stick for every other program.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I would go with K, Johnny D, Laettner, and as my fourth, a surprise pick. I would go with ole Roy, because he has provided endless entertainment for us Duke fans over the years and has become K's whipping boy......

I think K, Laettner and Dawkins have to be on here, no matter what. The last one I could go a number of different ways but I think I'm going to go with Bobby. He was the conductor where Christian was the engine. And while yes Duke had a history before K, this took it to the pinnacle and the measuring stick for every other program.

No Langdon?

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'm surprised, but not surprised by the Battier inclusions. He was such a good player. I thought about him briefly, but I didn't include him only because IMO, he wasn't as influential on the program as a whole like some of the others were. I truly wish he'd come back as a coach. He's my favorite Dukie.

I'm surprised, but not surprised by the Battier inclusions. He was such a good player. I thought about him briefly, but I didn't include him only because IMO, he wasn't as influential on the program as a whole like some of the others were. I truly wish he'd come back as a coach. He's my favorite Dukie.

Not Duhon? Your fearless leader?

Coach K of course. You can't leave off Laettner, nor Eddie Cameron the gym is named after him,gotta put Heyman there, can't leave off Grant Hill, how can Battier be left off, JJ Redick no way you leave off Duke's all-time leading scorer, Vic Bubas has to be there, Johnny Dawkins just can't see him not up there, Hurley I almost forgot him no way he doesn't go up, Gene Banks just how was his recruitment so big. I'm having a tough time. Hart would you pick my four. I just can't figure it out. OFC

Coach K of course. You can't leave off Laettner, nor Eddie Cameron the gym is named after him,gotta put Heyman there, can't leave off Grant Hill, how can Battier be left off, JJ Redick no way you leave off Duke's all-time leading scorer, Vic Bubas has to be there, Johnny Dawkins just can't see him not up there, Hurley I almost forgot him no way he doesn't go up, Gene Banks just how was his recruitment so big. I'm having a tough time. Hart would you pick my four. I just can't figure it out. OFC
Hart can't Sky.....he's probably aslerp

Reactions: skysdad
K and Laettner are first ballot Mount Rushmore. I would then say Dawkins because he was the player that made K and everything after happen. I'll let the real old timers tell me if someone is worthy, otherwise I'm going with Grant. 2 titles and I personally think he single handily got us to the 94 title

Reactions: carlsondevil
Tough Job for this one. I'll agree with Dukehokie. Have to have Laettner on there, and Coach K & Vic Bubas too IMO. That leaves one spot for so many. Grant maybe deserves it, but without Johnny Dawkins we may not have got to that point...so I"m going with JD. But ask me next week,( or tomorrow) and it might change...slightly.:D

OFC

Tough Job for this one. I'll agree with Dukehokie. Have to have Laettner on there, and Coach K & Vic Bubas too IMO. That leaves one spot for so many. Grant maybe deserves it, but without Johnny Dawkins we may not have got to that point...so I"m going with JD. But ask me next week,( or tomorrow) and it might change...slightly.:D

OFC
Dirt Gene Banks has to be considered our first African American superstar.Without him showing the way would any of our stars ever have came

He's my favorite, too, and if this were about all-time starting 5, he's in there for me, for sure. He epitomized and maintained and strengthened everything that was in place, but I agree w/ you that he wasn't as transformative as other figures.

The past game thread got me thinking, who would you put on a Duke version of Mt. Rushmore. The top 4 don't have to be the best players or coaches Duke has ever had, it would be the most influential members the program has ever seen. Put up your four and add a reason why.

Vic Bubas - Duke's first great coach and the reason Duke was a sustainable program in an atmosphere where a private, academic school in the giant ACC would have a tough time. Bubas laid a foundation that the coaches after him (Foster, Waters, Krzyzewski, etc.) could call upon when speaking of tradition and excellence when visiting a young recruit's living room.

Mike Krzyzewski - I mean do I need to explain? Greatest college basketball coach of all time and in the discussion of greatest basketball coach or even just coach of any sport.

Johnny Dawkins - The recruit that laid the groundwork for Coach K's exceptional career. Without Johnny, there may not have been a Laettner, Ferry, or Hill. K's job may not have been saved either.

Christian Laettner - Christian had a career most guys couldn't even dream of having. Widely regarded as a top 10 all-time collegiate player, you know Laettner's specs. Post-Dawkins, his teams kept the momentum the '86 and '87 classes built further cementing Duke's latest run of excellence. Laettner seems like an obvious choice here.

I will go w/hokie....

OFC

K - No brainer

Laettner - Duke's BB history isn't as glamorous without him.

Dawkins - Helped get K's career started

Battier - Everything you want in a college basketball player

If they ever put a 5th on Rushmore and add Reagan

JJ - all time leading scorer, kept Duke BB viable during some lean years they missed or over valued some recruits

Just missed - Danny Ferry - the great bridge player between Dawkins/Alarie class and Laettner/Hurley/Hill classes

K - No brainer

Laettner - Duke's BB history isn't as glamorous without him.

Dawkins - Helped get K's career started

Battier - Everything you want in a college basketball player

If they ever put a 5th on Rushmore and add Reagan

JJ - all time leading scorer, kept Duke BB viable during some lean years they missed or over valued some recruits

Just missed - Danny Ferry - the great bridge player between Dawkins/Alarie class and Laettner/Hurley/Hill classes
Yep Reagan was a great president!

Heyman was great to watch, would like to see him there also.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Its tough Sky, but again I go back to dukehokie:

Bubas laid the groundwork for the Duke basketball brand IMO.....multiple final 4s , ACC TITLES,etc...He brought in big time recruits and made them cohesive units!

K- of course, THE G.OA.T. and rebounding from a rough start to build an empire w/5 nattys and the envy of every program in America!

Johnny Dawkins- the player who laid the foundation for K, and his 1st hot shot recruit!

Laettner- obviously.....

OFC

Reactions: dukehokie
Hurley -- All Time Assist Leader for NCAA and NOT a part of Rushmore? Really?! I'm with you on this one Timo.

Reactions: dukehokie
Coach K-5 NCAA Titles, 14 ACC Titles, 1000+ wins and many more accolades
Christian Laettner-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Title, 4 Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season Titles
Bobby Hurley-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Title, 3 Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season Titles
Grant Hill-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Titles, 3 Final Fours, 3 ACC Regular Season Titles

I picked those 3 with Coach K because there's not too many players that can say that they won 2 NCAA Titles, went to 3 or 4 Final Fours, won 1 conference title and won 2 or 3 Conference Regular Season Titles in their 4 years in college

Last edited:
Dirt Gene Banks has to be considered our first African American superstar.Without him showing the way would any of our stars ever have came

Good point, Topps! That's the problem (well, not exactly a problem :)), Duke has had so many great players that it's impossible to limit it to 4...especially counting coaches. Many deserving.

OFC

Reactions: topps coach
Let's just bring the mountain to Duke...and add the GOAT to it.

Mount%20Rushmore%20Krzyzewskiville%20Mountain_1.jpg

OFC

Coach K-5 NCAA Titles, 14 ACC Titles, 1000+ wins and many more accolades
Christian Laettner-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Title, 4 Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season Titles
Bobby Hurley-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Title, 3 Final Fours, 2 ACC Regular Season Titles
Grant Hill-2 NCAA Titles, 1 ACC Titles, 3 Final Fours, 3 ACC Regular Season Titles

I picked those 3 with Coach K because there's not too many players that can say that they won 2 NCAA Titles, went to 3 or 4 Final Fours, won 1 conference title and won 2 or 3 Conference Regular Season Titles in their 4 years in college

Looking at how you laid out their accomplishments, one thing strikes me as super odd that I've never thought about. It feels like those Duke title teams just kept winning, but between the 3, they only won one ACC tournament title and essentially won 2 separate regular season crowns. That just goes to show how tough the ACC is, but also how astounding is it that Duke won 5 ACC tournament championships in a row between 1999-2003 when the league may have been its toughest?!

Reactions: DiehardDukeFan4Life
Looking at how you laid out their accomplishments, one thing strikes me as super odd that I've never thought about. It feels like those Duke title teams just kept winning, but between the 3, they only won one ACC tournament title essentially won 2 separate regular season crowns. That just goes to show how tough the ACC is, but also how astounding is it that Duke won 5 ACC tournament championships in a row between 1999-2003 when the league may have been its toughest?!
I agree, especially when you factor in the fact that there were only 8 teams in the ACC during the time span when those players accomplished all of those things, so when ya think about it, it's crazy to think that they only won 1 ACC Tournament Title during that time span when there was half as many teams in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT