ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Basketball Mt. Rushmore

Looking at how you laid out their accomplishments, one thing strikes me as super odd that I've never thought about. It feels like those Duke title teams just kept winning, but between the 3, they only won one ACC tournament title essentially won 2 separate regular season crowns. That just goes to show how tough the ACC is, but also how astounding is it that Duke won 5 ACC tournament championships in a row between 1999-2003 when the league may have been its toughest?!
That is odd to know that they only won 1 ACC title each. Duke and Maryland were the only two teams worth anything from 99-03 though. The Holes were pathetic during that time. Steve Blake didn't even acknowledge the Holes during his career as a rival. I think it's tougher now, and all the different teams since expansion that have won the ACC tournament prove that to me.

That is odd to know that they only won 1 ACC title each. Duke and Maryland were the only two teams worth anything from 99-03 though. The Holes were pathetic during that time. Steve Blake didn't even acknowledge the Holes during his career as a rival. I think it's tougher now, and all the different teams since expansion that have won the ACC tournament prove that to me.
You could even expand that to 2006 because 2004 was the only year from 1999 through 2006 that Duke didn't win the ACC Tournament when Maryland won it. It's crazy how dominant Duke was during that 8 year span.

Reactions: dukehokie

True. UNC was down with Doh and The Gut but they still stayed near or at the top of the league. UVA had some tough teams. Wake won the league in 2003. Maryland of course was up there but only for about 2 seasons. But lo and behold, who was there regardless? Good ol' trusty Duke. But I agree now and maybe even the late seventies to late eighties were ribably the toughest the ACC has been. But those early 2000's were like they are now. A lot of 7-9 through 9-7 teams because the games were dogfights.

You could even expand that to 2006 because 2004 was the only year from 1999 through 2006 that Duke didn't win the ACC Tournament when Maryland won it. It's crazy how dominant Duke was during that 8 year span.
It sure was a fun time to watch the program

The odd part is it resulted in only 1 NCAA Championship

2006: 32-4 Tourney + Season
2005: 27-6 Tourney
*2004: 31-6 Season
2003: 26-7 Tourney
2002: 31-4 Tourney
*2001: 35-4 Tourney + Season + NCAA
2000: 29-5 Tourney + Season
*1999: 37-2 Tourney + Season
1998: 32-4 Season

* Final Four

It sure was a fun time to watch the program

The odd part is it resulted in only 1 NCAA Championship

2006: 32-4 Tourney + Season
2005: 27-6 Tourney
*2004: 31-6 Season
2003: 26-7 Tourney
2002: 31-4 Tourney
*2001: 35-4 Tourney + Season + NCAA
2000: 29-5 Tourney + Season
*1999: 37-2 Tourney + Season
1998: 32-4 Season

* Final Four

Only one championship and only 3 Final Fours. I say only like it's a bad thing. I bet FSU wishes they had that problem. But if you look at the records and the winning, it just almost looks like you're looking at teams that were shoe-ins to go far in the tournament.

Only one championship and only 3 Final Fours. I say only like it's a bad thing. I bet FSU wishes they had that problem. But if you look at the records and the winning, it just almost looks like you're looking at teams that were shoe-ins to go far in the tournament.
I think it just points to this thing that always gets overlooked. It is Soooooo hard to win the NCAA tourney. So much has to go your way and that includes some or a lot of luck. K is arguably the best ever and has 5 in 40 years of coaching.

I think it just points to this thing that always gets overlooked. It is Soooooo hard to win the NCAA tourney. So much has to go your way and that includes some or a lot of luck. K is arguably the best ever and has 5 in 40 years of coaching.

And none are tarnished like down the road...

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The only player I truly feel bad for is JJ Redick. Off the top of my head every other "modern" great Dukie at least experienced a steady upcline or played in the Final.

For JJ the team peaked in the NCAA Tourney as a sophomore. The double crown as a senior vindicates him in that regard. Those two Sweet 16 loses to LSU and Michigan State were very disappointing.

The only player I truly feel bad for is JJ Redick. Off the top of my head every other "modern" great Dukie at least experienced a steady upcline or played in the Final.

For JJ the team peaked in the NCAA Tourney as a sophomore. The double crown as a senior vindicates him in that regard. Those two Sweet 16 loses to LSU and Michigan State were very disappointing.

I just don't think there's a mountain big enough. It's just no way we can pick 4 solid faces. No way. OFC

Interestingly enough. The accomplishments between Laettner, Hurley, Hill while at Duke and Redick while at Duke are reversed. Laettner, Hurley and Hill won 2 NCAA Titles and 1 ACC Title but Redick didn't win an NCAA Title but he won 3 ACC Titles.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Spartan fan lurking here. Agree you guys could have a 10 person Mt. Rushmore, but happy to see that some feel Battier should be on it. Played little league baseball with him, as he's from my home town near Detroit. Just a great human being and everything you'd think he would be as a person. Ran into him a few years ago, after probably a 20 year gap from seeing him, and there was no "big time" about him and he was awesome. Asked about my mom and remembered me vividly. Truly a great person and someone Duke should be proud of.

Thanks for the comments and welcome...
By the way, I am a big Izzo fan....you have a great one there in my opinion.

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT