ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Thornton

He made a terrible decision transferring. I do think he may needed to sit a year, but leaving Duke was bad.

Here you have a kid who went from playing 26 minutes/game at Duke as a true freshman and was unhappy. Now he’s a third year college player at USC and struggling to find consistent minutes. I’m sure his dad and uncle are loving life. I feel bad for Derryck....but not those two.

Here you have a kid who went from playing 26 minutes/game at Duke as a true freshman and was unhappy. Now he’s a third year college player at USC and struggling to find consistent minutes. I’m sure his dad and uncle are loving life. I feel bad for Derryck....but not those two.

Maybe he will transfer again. Like you said I feel bad for him. He took some wrong advice but if he had stayed at Duke would we have Duval. I often wonder if we didn't have any transfers over the years would we have never gotten some of our good players. OFC

I never had an issue with D. Thornton. I am glad he came to Duke. It just sucks that Jackson scared him off and his uncle gave him bad advice. Thornton played okay his one year at Duke. From what I remember he played great @ Louisville with an injured shoulder/arm during his one year at Duke.

Reactions: Tlass and skysdad

I could never understand what in the world his family wanted from Duke. Duke presented Derryck with all the opportunity a reasonable person could ask.
I wish him the best.

OFC

He would've provided some depth this season. Inner circle is delusional, glad he's gone.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Felt bad for the kid then and now. I don’t think he wanted to leave Duke. Delusional family. Sad for him. Hope it works out.

Reactions: dbav
He did something that thousands of kids would love to be able to say they did......played at Duke

Wonder if the bench is warmer at USC. Is his Uncle gonna go on a rant about their coach now as well? Even seeing as how Thornton had a whole year to learn USC system and handle the point and start.

Let's not act like DT didn't have a say so in transferring as well. If he was scared off by Jackson, wonder what he thought when Jackson stayed injured.

In the end worked out for both parties involved

Reactions: pisgah101
Wonder if the bench is warmer at USC. Is his Uncle gonna go on a rant about their coach now as well? Even seeing as how Thornton had a whole year to learn USC system and handle the point and start.

Let's not act like DT didn't have a say so in transferring as well. If he was scared off by Jackson, wonder what he thought when Jackson stayed injured.

In the end worked out for both parties involved
Normally when discussing one of our transfers I’ll be the guy that is saying, he’s not here so it doesn’t matter to me. Good riddance in a way. I have a soft spot for DT bc i truly don’t believe he wanted to go. I’ve heard a few things regarding him leaving that make me feel for the kid. His family is class A nuts and unfortunately for him he got caught up in that.

Normally when discussing one of our transfers I’ll be the guy that is saying, he’s not here so it doesn’t matter to me. Good riddance in a way. I have a soft spot for DT bc i truly don’t believe he wanted to go. I’ve heard a few things regarding him leaving that make me feel for the kid. His family is class A nuts and unfortunately for him he got caught up in that.
Might be but one has to think that it was just as much his decision as well. Either way it worked out for both parties

Reactions: QC Dukie
I liked Thornton a lot. I thought he had a lot of tools and just needed some seasoning. The funny thing, as it turned out last year, with Grayson's troubles, Thornton would have gotten 30 minutes a game. Oh well.

Can anyone give me a short rundown of that whole situation and his transfer? I've never really heard. I'm gathering his dad and uncle didn't like things for him at Duke, but why?

I am actually quite happy with the way things played out. Upset for the kid because his best place to be successful was right where he started but happy for what resulted for duke. We don’t get Duval or likely Jones with Thornton on roster. I don’t think Thornton is Nba talent, he was a skilled high school player, but lacked the athletic ability or natural talent to continue playing at a high level once the talent ratched up. He was blessed to have so much talent around him his freshman year. I think he will look back and regret leaving Duke and likely blame that decision on not getting to the pros but honestly from what I saw, he was going to need major improvements to play in the nba and it wasn’t going to have the natural athleticism to get by with anything less.

Tyus Jones was supremely more talented than Thornton IMO and Tyus is struggling to find consistent time in the pros.

Can anyone give me a short rundown of that whole situation and his transfer? I've never really heard. I'm gathering his dad and uncle didn't like things for him at Duke, but why?

The family claimed they were lied to about how K envisioned running the offense with Derryck at lead. What happened is things changed once Amile got hurt that season. We didn't have a ton of depth and K had to coach on the fly, and as we know, we were best that season putting the ball in Grayson and Brandon's hands. Basically, the Thornton's made it known it wasn't about 'team' for them, but rather the individual.

The family claimed they were lied to about how K envisioned running the offense with Derryck at lead. What happened is things changed once Amile got hurt that season. We didn't have a ton of depth and K had to coach on the fly, and as we know, we were best that season putting the ball in Grayson and Brandon's hands. Basically, the Thornton's made it known it wasn't about 'team' for them, but rather the individual.

Thanks, Dj. And now he's scraping for minutes at USC? Sheesh.

Leaving Duke was a catastrophic mistake. I feel for DT but look at our PG tradition, K is a master at developing PGs, papa should have know better. Doh well. Get a good degree Derrick, wishing you the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT