ADVERTISEMENT

Baldwin Jr. "75% sure"

No way he wants to play for a washed up coach who just phones it in and lives off his reputation. Milwaukee it is.

I hope it's Duke. It will get him more exposure, but just think he plays for dad.

He's going to to Milwaukee because he wants to play in the NCAA tournament. Oh burn. :) actually they both have losing records.

Last edited:
Can’t imagine it has much of an impact on his decision.

Believe he knows what the situation will be at Duke next year and if his desire is a natty he will be at Duke. If he just wants to play his one year and make his stock for the draft go sky high by having being the man and playing one year for his dad then he will play for his dad. OFC

Going from team who can't figure out a way to win to superteam in one year would be quite the feat. We will be better, and will make the tournament next year, but superteam seems like more of a stretch with each passing game.

Going from team who can't figure out a way to win to superteam in one year would be quite the feat. We will be better, and will make the tournament next year, but superteam seems like more of a stretch with each passing game.
Super team might be exaggerated but there’s more of a chance of that with him than just being better and making the tournament. Can’t let one crazy year blur your vision from reality. Those guys Baldwin, Griffin, Paolo...they’re no joke. Not all classes are created equal.

By the way are any of you allowed on thr ( tar heel radar ) ? I have been banned permantly several years ago as it us for most of us and was wondering if guru gary-7 is still running that board. OFC

Reactions: toophly1124
By the way are any of you allowed on thr ( tar heel radar ) ? I have been banned permantly several years ago as it us for most of us and was wondering if guru gary-7 is still running that board. OFC

he’s running a board now? What has the world come to? last I knew gary 🤡 was running a 🎪

I’d rather come rescues a sinking ship than follow a Natty....but that’s our thinking. These kids have nothing but girls and the NBA on their mind.

Sounds like a done deal then!! I feel fairly safe that Baldwin will not get much positive feedback from JJ. Oh well on to the next OAD!

Not if Johnson tells him about some of the self entitled spoiled fans who like to trash talk players from behind the keyboard. (Keyboard Warriors) I call them.
Q, every single fan base has these. We are no different in that regard. If a kid is basing his decision off of (or even considering the thoughts And opinions of fans), then they’re already beat.

Best of luck to the kid, but this is a poor look for him. That’s two straight years he’s bailed on his team. Injury or not.

Q, every single fan base has these. We are no different in that regard. If a kid is basing his decision off of (or even considering the thoughts And opinions of fans), then they’re already beat.

Best of luck to the kid, but this is a poor look for him. That’s two straight years he’s bailed on his team. Injury or not.
Which sucks because we should be better than other fanbase since we know how it feels to be unfairly attacked by other fanbases. But, alas.
And it’s not just thoughts and opinions, it’s harassment on social media. Anyone can be critiqued and that includes fans as well. Johnson released a mature statement and didn’t bash the school, coaches or fans. It’s his right and his decision and now fans can move on to a new target to blame everything on (although they’ll still find a way to blame Johnson).

Which sucks because we should be better than other fanbase since we know how it feels to be unfairly attacked by other fanbases. But, alas.
And it’s not just thoughts and opinions, it’s harassment on social media. Anyone can be critiqued and that includes fans as well. Johnson released a mature statement and didn’t bash the school, coaches or fans. It’s his right and his decision and now fans can move on to a new target to blame everything on (although they’ll still find a way to blame Johnson).
Too thoughtful and logical. Please delete ASAP.

No doubt but that’s the day in age we live in. Social media isn’t real life. Anyone attacking kids who play college sports is a full fledged loser. We certainly don’t have nearly as many as say a Kentucky, but no program at this level is immune. I agree with you that it was a mature statement, and well put together. But let’s be realistic- it’s a very PR and predictable statement. We will, i am sure, hear more rumors and rumblings in the coming Months. Some public some not.

Kind of like when actors or directors or musicians part way due to "creative differences."

Last edited:
No doubt but that’s the day in age we live in. Social media isn’t real life. Anyone attacking kids who play college sports is a full fledged loser. We certainly don’t have nearly as many as say a Kentucky, but no program at this level is immune. I agree with you that it was a mature statement, and well put together. But let’s be realistic- it’s a very PR and predictable statement. We will, i am sure, hear more rumors and rumblings in the coming Months. Some public some not.

I don’t excuse any of these little assholes comments, just because Kentucky has more fans doing it then we do. It almost sucks to have become a trendy school, because a bunch of whinny little douche bags hitched their wagon and now we have to listen to all this bullshit.

I don’t excuse any of these little assholes comments, just because Kentucky has more fans doing it then we do. It almost sucks to have become a trendy school, because a bunch of whinny little douche bags hitched their wagon and now we have to listen to all this bullshit.
Do we have to listen to it? Like you said, they’ve jumped on the bandwagon, probably in the last five or six years. Social media isn’t real life. People on social media cursing out people they don’t know and will never meet- they’re 21st century losers. With a brand as big as Duke, you’ll get your fair share. I might not like it anymore than you do, but it’s a sad reality that has come with the territory.

preach

Well, he’s certainly not going to win a title unless it’s next year. Which has a strong degree of doubtfulness. As a top-five recruit in the country there is no way he stays. Those guys are looking at NBA careers, not how great a three or four year college experience might be.

Frankly, I don’t really want him to commit to Duke. I want fewer top ten recruits in general because whether they play well or not, they are going to be one and done almost certainly. And even if they play well it usually doesn’t translate to a strong tournament run or shot at a national title. coach K relies on those players too much and they really can’t compete as an 18-year-old against a seasoned team of decent Lee talented juniors and seniors who know how to play team basketball and are more physical and play better team defense. Other than the flash of talent like a Zion or a few others, Duke basketball has for many years become not very pleasant to watch because all the young players don’t know how to play defense as a team, regardless of how talented the player may be.

The formula doesn’t work. Worse, it creates discouragement on the rest of the team and a failure to develop the third three and four year players, like a Mark Williams. Coach K gives playing time priority to the top recruits and until this year, where he has had to give minutes because of the pandemic, he just doesn’t give a lot of minutes to lesser recruits. A Mark Williams I could see even fewer minutes next year with two center/power forward types coming in who are major recruits. Then he gets discouraged and if we recruit over him again the following year transfer talk starts to happen. Or he just really never develops as well as could have otherwise.

You still need talent but look at Baylor or even Gonzaga to a lesser degree. Baylor has no major recruits of note and they may be the best team in college basketball.

I prefer the model of trying to recruit guys were going to stay three or four years and grab one top 10 recruit every year, maybe two in the top 25 or so, and give minutes to players as they progress through their time at Duke in their second third and fourth year. Duke would be a much better program overall, there would be fewer transfers, and college basketball in general would benefit.

This whole "get the most talent and sort it out" argument is getting weaker by the year. How good would Henry Coleman be right now with a ton of minutes? My guess is he'd be pretty good. Obviously you want talent but there are other factors. We're not the NBA, and we don't have to be obsessed with upside.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT