ADVERTISEMENT

Amile/redshirt/return 2016-2017

Jake1985

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2002
How much of this is actually consideration or based on fact? Or is this all based on fodder and speculation by the fan base.

I haven't heard anything about him taking a medical redshirt other than from a couple fans mention it. If this injury were to keep him out the rest of the season then he would be eligible for a medical redshirt because he has played in less than 30% of the games that Duke could potentially play this season. Since Duke could potentially play in 40 games this season then he could've played in up to 12 games and still would've been eligible for a medical redshirt if his injury were to keep him out the rest of the season

I think the goal is for him to play this season....whether or not that's likely is still tbd. But I have some doubts....some pretty plugged in people have suggested it's pretty serious.

I know Amile is a team first player, but would his playing time decrease if he came back next year with the class we have coming in? And imagine if we added Bolden.

Amile, Giles, Jeter, Bolden is a pretty good 4/5 group though.

If it's a broken foot and it isn't going to require surgery then it makes sense that he could possibly return this season.

K's post game was far from calling a end to Amiles season!

I wouldn't take too much from Coach K on this right now. He's always tight lipped on these things. However, I think everyone is hoping and working for Amile to be back this season.

He looked devastated on the sideline. Also, what's up with Bleacher Report saying that it was a fractured ankle? Everywhere else says foot.

Last edited:
It can't be good in a plaster cast. Could he return this year? Possibly but I'm not sure how effective he will be. I have faith in K and these guys but playing 7 now is going to be brutal. It may make for a 10-8 type ACC season but that would be enough to get to the tourney. Hope I'm wrong and they do much better.

he's not going to red shirt... With giles coming in he's not going to want to stay and see a huge drop in minutes.

It is really sad for such a great young man, you could tell he was just dying sitting there on the bench.
Anything we talk about is nothing more than speculation, there is no way anyone can tell how this will turn out, just depends on how well his foot heals. We have to remember that a lot of people on here are not trying to play doctor, they would just like to hear some positive news, reaching for anything that will give hope to his return.
Don't know if this will help, but let's try not to dwell on what we don't have, and be thankful for what we do have. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for Amile, I believe he will play again this year, and it might be sooner than later. Prayers for you Amile.
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

Reactions: DukeDenver
I'd be flat out shocked if we went 10-8!!! Never say never..... But I'd like to say never!!! Allen is really really good and all signs point to Brsndon going really big time. Kennard starts dropping those open looks and we remain damn good and overlooked. Talented bigs will hurt us but they also need to guard our smaller line up.

That's a good sign for 12/26 for sure.

If for some reason he didn't return he would RS and return if eligible. To say he wouldn't because of Giles and/or anyone else? Come on now!

He'll be back this season if he is able. We'll need him on defense and the glass if we want to make another run. By need, I mean, we can't do it without him. I honestly feel like he is a required piece. Marshall and Chase would have to have a Zoubs-like coming out to do it without AJ.

It's impossible to know what any of this stuff means IMO. K's really unusually circumspect in providing timetables with sort of injury, and it always invariable leads to months of endless debate and confusion amongst us and the media.

Personally, I hope Amile is not delaying surgery in an ill-conceived attempt to play later this season -- like Ryan Kelly did, when he prematurely returned with the help of shoe orthotics and ultimately had to have post-season surgery, which prevented him from working out for teams and IMO probably hurt draft stock. Foot injuries are not something to mess around with if you're a big guy. IMO, as a Sr., he should be thinking about what's best for his long-term health and enhancing his chances to make an NBA roster next season -- and not trying to rush back to the squad in February with a semi-healed foot that is healthy enough to play, but will ultimately require surgery to fully heal.

As for the RS, I frankly wouldn't consider that if I were Amile. He's going to get his degree by the end of the year and has already won a national title. Time to try and make a living as player. There's a transition players must undergo to try and make the NBA -- and he needs to start working on trying to become an NBA player (ala Lance Thomas). And that doesn't even get into the fact that we're bringing in Harry Giles to play his position.

Tough situation. But I hope Amile takes the long view on the situation; rather that the admirable / yet short-sided view of doing everything possible to rush back at the end of the season to a team that frankly has little chance of doing much with a version of Amile that is less than 100% and is not fully integrated into how the team is playing.

10-8.... Come on now that ain't happening if you think so you didn't pay attention last night. I saw a team that's growing and going to be dang good by the end of the year

I suppose I am a little more optimistic if a cast is coming off for reevaluation in ten days. That could be taken as a good sign.

10-8 is somewhat realistic - ACC is pretty strong this year and K will play 7 guys, and 5 younger guys at that. I still have faith but I see them losing more than a few in the ACC as-is.

Time to go small! Put Ingram at the 5 along with Thornton, Allen, Kennard, and Jones and just rain 3s all day. We are shooting 40% as a team from 3 and 49% from all distances. For comparison, the Golden State Warriors shoot 42% from 3 and 48% from all distances. Just wait until Kennard starts getting hot!

I was joking, but now I am half serious.

Reactions: Crank_it_loud
There are nine games that I see as having the greatest potential for us losing.

Utah (first solid team without Amile)
Wake (First challenging ACC Game)
Miami (Solid squad)
Louisville (Well-Coached)
UVA (Well Coached solid Squad)
UNC (They are UNC)
Louisville (Again)
Wake (Again)
UNC (Again)

Now:

I do not see us losing at the Garden against Utah. It is essentially a home game for Duke and I think we pull it out.
Wake is looking improved so far but I definitely only see us potentially losing to them once.
Miami gives us fits and I look forward to this game as well as dread it. We play on their turf as well.
Louisville - UVA - UNC - Louisville - Tough stretch but no way IMO we drop all four. Two at worst IMO.
Wake - I think we definitely win the second against Wake.
UNC - depends on how we have improved in season.

I do not see us losing twice to any team so that takes us down to 6 potentials, IMO, and really I think we lose no more than 4 maybe 5 in conference. This is just pure conjecture, but those are the games I am most worried about. FSU and NCSU to a lesser degree worry me as does Notre Dame. Damn it is going to be a hell of a conference fight this year.

I remember a similar type situation for Brand and I think he had a speedier return than we ever imagined...Fingers crossed...

Cast comes off December 26 k said in post conference. So if it's coming off this soon then he will be back. If it was season ending seems to me the cast would be on longer than 2 weeks

Yep, seems like most around here are taking the most negative stance possible in order to make it hurt less if he is somehow done for the season. Even though they don't even believe he is....

Yep, seems like most around here are taking the most negative stance possible in order to make it hurt less if he is somehow done for the season. Even though they don't even believe he is....

Well, I think part of the negativity emanates from the fact that Amile probably doesn't help us much if he's less than 100% or doesn't get back until late in the year. In the two most recent instances where we had a kid out "indefinitely," the longterm trackrecord for the team was not good. Kyrie's return probably messed the team up more than it helped us b/c it just came too late and Ryan, while helpful, was never fully healthy and particularly effective after that initial outburst against Miami. Does it sound as if Amile may show up at some point? Yes, K's comments make it seem like its possible. Will Amile return as anywhere near the player he's been to date this year and will this very young team be able to reincorporate such a huge piece in late February? Doubtful IMO. As K said, this team still hasn't had a chance to figure out who it is on both sides of the ball. Just don't think that'll be possible with Amile out until late in the year. For instance, we're probably not going to be able to play or practice much man-to-man defense at all until Amile gets back. Can we figure out how to play man in March? Don't think so. Or, if BI spends the next two months learning how to exploit 4s on the offensive end, is it going to be easy to move back to the 3? Probably not. IMO, unless this injury is far less severe than the rumblings have suggested and he's back by no later than very early February -- I think the damage is irreperable even if he does eventually suit back up.

For instance, we're probably not going to be able to play or practice much man-to-mandefense at all until Amile gets back.

aah555, I have to disagree with this statement. K's always going to work on the M2M defense, but will probably tinker more with some zones. Last night he played mostly man and then a little 2-3 zone in the second half. I don't think Amile coming back to the team as late as February will disrupt the team either.
I think it's totally different for a forward to come back and blend in than a point guard like Kyrie. I think if anything it will allow us to develop more depth and flexibility with line ups.

For instance, we're probably not going to be able to play or practice much man-to-mandefense at all until Amile gets back.

aah555, I have to disagree with this statement. K's always going to work on the M2M defense, but will probably tinker more with some zones. Last night he played mostly man and then a little 2-3 zone in the second half. I don't think Amile coming back to the team as late as February will disrupt the team either.
I think it's totally different for a forward to come back and blend in than a point guard like Kyrie. I think if anything it will allow us to develop more depth and flexibility with line ups.

K in his presser talked about how the team was literally going to try and eliminate all contact from practice b/c they couldn't afford any more injuries. Hard to develop a tough-minded man-to-man defense if you don't want there to be any contact in practice. Further, as K acknowledged, the problem with Ingram at the 4 is that other teams are going to attack him on the defensive end. While Ingram can survive against UNC-G, I think that's going to change radically when we get into the heart of conference season. Considering the type of offensive production we need from BI (particularly in view of Jefferson's injury), I just don't think we can afford to let bigger 4s beat Ingram up for 30+ minutes and/or get Ingram in foul trouble by mahandling him in the post and on the glass. The way to protect Ingram from that will be to go 1-3-1 and hope that Grayson and Matt can help Marshall clean up the back line. We'll see -- but I'd be very surprised if we don't see a very heavy dose of zone once we get into the teeth of conference season.

As for integration, while there's no doubt that integrating a guard is harder than integrating a forward, the huge difference between now and 10-11 / 12-13 is that the guys surrounding Amile now aren't nearly as experienced and mature as basketball players as the ones we had in those other years. In fact, in both years, those two teams had established veterans who had a ton of experience playing a lot of different roles -- including the way we wanted to play once Kyrie / Ryan returned. That's very different from this squad, which depends on a team full of freshman that still haven't mastered even one role -- let alone shown the capacity to shift back and forth between roles over the course of the season.

Last edited:
K in his presser talked about how the team was literally going to try and eliminate all contact from practice b/c they couldn't afford any more injuries. Hard to develop a tough-minded man-to-man defense if you don't want there to be any contact in practice. Further, as K acknowledged, the problem with Ingram at the 4 is that other teams are going to attack him on the defensive end. While Ingram can survive against UNC-G, I think that's going to change radically when we get into the heart of conference season. Considering the type of offensive production we need from BI (particularly in view of Jefferson's injury), I just don't think we can afford to let bigger 4s beat Ingram up for 30+ minutes and/or get Ingram in foul trouble by mahandling him in the post and on the glass. The way to protect Ingram from that will be to go 1-3-1 and hope that Grayson and Matt can help Marshall clean up the back line. We'll see -- but I'd be very surprised if we don't see a very heavy dose of zone once we get into the teeth of conference season.

I agree with more zone, but I can't see K scraping his M2M defense. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. If we go 1-3-1, who plays at the bottom?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT