ADVERTISEMENT

***DUKE VS NORTH CAROLINA OFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD***

Heels were worked from start to finish. They just didn’t have enough defenders to matchup with some of Duke’s players. Griffin ate them alive. K’s first game in that building was that top 3 1986 matchup in the brand new Dean Dome which Duke lost 92-95. Fast forward 36 years later and K says cyanora with an 87-67 beat down.

Most gratifying Duke win at Chapel Hill ever for this old geezer!!!! No complaints at all, this was a TOTAL TEAM WIN! K's preparation REMARKABLE!!
His halftime adjustments were spot-on! Griffin's 10-0 blast off in 2nd half was something to behold! Banchero's takeover of the game down the stretch a thing of beauty!!!! BTW, did ya' take notice NO CAMERA SHOTS AT ALL of ol Roy in 2nd half????Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

OFC

Duke now controls its own destiny in the ACC. It’s time to run away with the regular season title then do what we do in the conference tourney

Gary Parrish, cbs:

"Coach K's final game at the Dean Dome doubled as UNC's latest ass-whipping."

Lolol

I got a feeling that we are going to see the headline, “Another disappointing loss for Hubert Davis” a lot in the next couple years

HUGE WIN. We can now beat anyone, anywhere.
Congratulations on the excellent performance. Duke's perimeter defense is so much better this year. And Duke is much stronger at all positions.

Last year, Caleb Love was able to drive past Roach and Steward at will. Completely reversed this year.
Bacot struggles against bigger players. There aren't many bigger than Bacot in college basketball, but Williams won the battle by a wide margin

I was surprised. I thought Bascot would have a huge game like the Kentucky center. Davis putting Bascot on Banchero was a big mistake, and he got 2 quick fouls. I get why he did it; shutting Banchero down is probably their only shot at winning. AJ Griffin was the difference. Not sure they were expecting 27 from AJ.

Reactions: geddoughton23
Griffin is very strong. Not only does it help him drive well, but he shoots from distance with no effort.

Kerwin Walton from UNC is also a great shooter. Walton started last year, but doesn't play much this season. He needs to play, and make 3s if UNC hopes to beat a ranked team.

I was surprised. I thought Bascot would have a huge game like the Kentucky center. Davis putting Bascot on Banchero was a big mistake, and he got 2 quick fouls. I get why he did it; shutting Banchero down is probably their only shot at winning. AJ Griffin was the difference. Not sure they were expecting 27 from AJ.
To be fair I don't think many of us expected 27 from AJ either lol

He's becoming consistent as well. Is that the most points ever by a freshman against UNC?
Just googled it's the 3rd best, behind Rivers and Barrett.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Is it me or do you also assume every shot AJ take is going in?
I certainly do! After watching last night and Notre Dame. I've coached enough to be dangerous. If he played for me, he would never finish the Notre Dame perfect from 3. He would have to keep shooting until he missed at least
Not just you. Late game what do you do if you’re the defense. Can give it to Paolo on the block, AJ outside.
I would foul someone off the ball. Maybe put a guard on Banchero; go for the steal and foul if you don't get it. The biggest problem in modern college basketball is not getting to the line often enough. The Duke offense was sensational last night, but 20 of 26 from the foul line in the 80s is now 10 for 13. Try to keep Duke out of the double bonus, and foul down the stretch. Then foul late to get a 2 for 1 situation

I was about to mention it. I waited a day. I wanted a Duke fan to bring it up. I'm a UNC fan because Dean Smith would have told the fans a day before that they represent the University. Cheer for the team. Give a standing ovation to the retiring coach of your rival. No need to give him a rocking chair, but show proper respect

Going forward this is ideally how I hope the offense goes.

Scoring options:
tier 1: Paolo and AJ
tier 2: Moore
tier 3: Keels catch and shoot or Mark on lobs

Ball handling:
tier 1: Moore and Roach
tier 2: Paolo and AJ

It seems like when the guys really play within their role, this team really hums. I dont think anyone touches our ceiling when the guys play within their roles.

The problem is teams will now game plan for AJ . Paolo will really need to start being aggressive inside to help keep defenses from helping . Interested to see how Virginia’s defense fairs against Paolo and AJ

I was about to mention it. I waited a day. I wanted a Duke fan to bring it up. I'm a UNC fan because Dean Smith would have told the fans a day before that they represent the University. Cheer for the team. Give a standing ovation to the retiring coach of your rival. No need to give him a rocking chair, but show proper respect
Nah st dean would never allow anything like that to happen…..smh

Guess he was just into allowing academic fraud for his basketball program…..nothing else to see.
I have a real good customer, who’s a retired teacher and lifelong tar hole fan. He read Feinstein’s book “Legends Club,” the one about K, Dean, and Valvano. Said his respect for Dean went down some after reading it.

I have a real good customer, who’s a retired teacher and lifelong tar hole fan. He read Feinstein’s book “Legends Club,” the one about K, Dean, and Valvano. Said his respect for Dean went down some after reading it.
Feinstein wrote some very good books, and excellent columns. FOREVER'S TEAM about the 1978 Duke team is really good. THE LEGEND'S CLUB is pure drivel. Valvano was dead. Dean Smith granted full access, but sadly he was afflicted with dementia so nothing there. Krzyzewski never committed to the project so it's just Feinstein's memories with a few trips to the library's microfiche tossed in.

He "finished " the book because he cashed the advance check.

Dean Smith was a good man. He would have insisted on a moment to honor Coach Krzyzewski.

Feinstein wrote some very good books, and excellent columns. FOREVER'S TEAM about the 1978 Duke team is really good. THE LEGEND'S CLUB is pure drivel. Valvano was dead. Dean Smith granted full access, but sadly he was afflicted with dementia so nothing there. Krzyzewski never committed to the project so it's just Feinstein's memories with a few trips to the library's microfiche tossed in.

He "finished " the book because he cashed the advance check.

Dean Smith was a good man. He would have insisted on a moment to honor Coach Krzyzewski.
That moment of silence would have turned into a national embarrassment for UNC as the profanities would have been more audible without any background noise. You should be grateful.

Reactions: QC Dukie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT