ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread Duke vs NC St round 3 ELITE EIGHT ADDITION

The thing about Mitchell is countless times he covered for others on defense when they were beaten to the basket. Even with a true center there are few players who can do that. I still hope he will fix his shot and learn to go up stronger with the ball and then he'll be the whole package. I mean Lance Thomas was not allowed to take a 10 footer when he was a sophomore and he ended up making millions in the NBA.
We must not have anyone on staff that can fix it or he don't follow directions. He needs to shoot a 1000 a day to gain confidence

Last edited:
Cant figure out how to post a pic or link so will type it out.....Elite 8 starters stats
24 - seniors
4 - Juniors
10 - sophomores
2 - Freshman

18 transfers
16 5th year players

12 of the top 13 scorers in the elite 8 are Seniors...

Something to be said for experience

The thing about Mitchell is countless times he covered for others on defense when they were beaten to the basket. Even with a true center there are few players who can do that. I still hope he will fix his shot and learn to go up stronger with the ball and then he'll be the whole package. I mean Lance Thomas was not allowed to take a 10 footer when he was a sophomore and he ended up making millions in the NBA.
Mitchell gotta take on that role. Lance was not only coachable, he was solid with his role at Duke. Mitchell is not that comfortable.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Also while it worked for Lance Thomas, the NBA has evolved so much that you have to have offense now. You got probably half the NBA starting centers that can shoot from 3 point range. Is Mitchell a Ben Simmons type player?

Reactions: jamsession2
Unless you have a stud, you can’t have a weak spot in your starting lineup. Duke didn’t have a stud, but we had a couple weak spots on offense, Proctor and Mitchell.

It was made worse because we couldn’t turn to anyone on the bench.

A tough question now is do we want Mitchell or Stewart. I doubt we get both, but I think Stewart has more upside.

Also while it worked for Lance Thomas, the NBA has evolved so much that you have to have offense now. You got probably half the NBA starting centers that can shoot from 3 point range. Is Mitchell a Ben Simmons type player?
There is always room for an 'active and scrappy' player to make a 15 man roster with a solid contract. Thibs, Nurse, Quinn, Monty and Willie love those type of players.

There is always room for an 'active and scrappy' player to make a 15 man roster with a solid contract. Thibs, Nurse, Quinn, Monty and Willie love those type of players.
I'm wishing the best for the young man but at this moment I don't see it. I truly hope I'm wrong. Hope he finds a shooting coach that will at least put some arc on his shot.

BR Hoops had McCain at #11 last week. Don't know about the other mock drafts but if he's in the top20 he should go. Flip, Proctor and Mitchell came back and 2, being Proctor and Mitchell lost a bunch of spots in their draft stock.
To who is the question ? This draft is so weak I expect a lot of kids to make the wrong decision but if McCain is at 11 he better go .

Cant figure out how to post a pic or link so will type it out.....Elite 8 starters stats
24 - seniors
4 - Juniors
10 - sophomores
2 - Freshman

18 transfers
16 5th year players

12 of the top 13 scorers in the elite 8 are Seniors...

Something to be said for experience
Yes and I’d like to see how many out of the 38 players are projected first and second round draft pics ?

To who is the question ? This draft is so weak I expect a lot of kids to make the wrong decision but if McCain is at 11 he better go .
This is from 5 days ago. I don't have access to ESPN+ to see their draft rankings. I'm assuming it's not that far apart.

Yes and I’d like to see how many out of the 38 players are projected first and second round draft pics ?
3 from the link Only_Blue posted i think...success as a team requires experience in CBB...all the individual talent is not enough....

It’s been a roller coaster ride this season, there’s been a lot of ups and some downs. It’s true why they use the phrase, “fickle fans.” After our Houston win, I don’t think I read one prediction from Duke fans that we would lose to NC State. That’s what makes this loss hurt so much. I think we all felt like we were Final Four bound.

I really thought Jon would have had more wrinkles to throw at State when things started to go south. We all wanted more Stewart earlier, but I also wanted to see Power shoot a few threes since our guards were missing.

I don’t buy into the we have to get players out of the portal to be great (older wins championships). Hell, a lot of posters
here want MM and Proctor to leave. Too me it’s all about team chemistry and mental toughness, which I think this team lacked. Jon has done a good job in his two years, it’s still a big learning process for him. I just want to see him build a cohesive group that expects to win when they fall behind a few baskets near the end of the game. I think most of us felt it was over when State went ahead in the second half. Time to reevaluate and get ready for next season. I’ll be pulling for another Jimmy V type ending for NC State. I remember watching their Cinderella run my senior year of high school.

3 from the link Only_Blue posted i think...success as a team requires experience in CBB...all the individual talent is not enough....
That was my point . All stay in college because they know they aren’t making the league . Thanks to NIL players who play the “ College game good!” Can transfer and make almost a super team with other good college players .

It’s been a roller coaster ride this season, there’s been a lot of ups and some downs. It’s true why they use the phrase, “fickle fans.” After our Houston win, I don’t think I read one prediction from Duke fans that we would lose to NC State. That’s what makes this loss hurt so much. I think we all felt like we were Final Four bound.

I really thought Jon would have had more wrinkles to throw at State when things started to go south. We all wanted more Stewart earlier, but I also wanted to see Power shoot a few threes since our guards were missing.

I don’t buy into the we have to get players out of the portal to be great (older wins championships). Hell, a lot of posters
here want MM and Proctor to leave. Too me it’s all about team chemistry and mental toughness, which I think this team lacked. Jon has done a good job in his two years, it’s still a big learning process for him. I just want to see him build a cohesive group that expects to win when they fall behind a few baskets near the end of the game. I think most of us felt it was over when State went ahead in the second half. Time to reevaluate and get ready for next season. I’ll be pulling for another Jimmy V type ending for NC State. I remember watching their Cinderella run my senior year of high school.
I was fine with the loss. I went with my team for the win but was not 100 percent sold on that they could beat state .

Reactions: Devilinside
I use to think the draft was weak last year, but I now think some of these players can not only make a 15 man roster, they may also be able to contribute. These 4th and 5th players are tough.

Last edited:
I hope we keep Stewart. If he leaves, he’s going to be Henry Coleman on steroids for somebody.

6’9 with no jump shot and 227 pounds? I think half of Burns Jr is 227 (😜lol) They really need to help him with a nice little mid range jumper.

6’9 with no jump shot and 227 pounds? I think half of Burns Jr is 227 (😜lol) They really need to help him with a nice little mid range jumper.
I am always puzzled by players that have reached the pinnacle of AAU, and are then at great programs yet have such basic flaws...no jump shot, poor FT shooting, dribbling, etc...just basics, yet missing. Guess I'm the winged Buffalo in the commercial...fundamentals..box out!

There are a number of things they need to help him with, but first of all it’s confidence. He actually had a nice short range shot in HS, but he got pigeonholed to a very limited role, and it showed. But he made the 2 best plays yesterday (maybe 3), and has a non-stop motor. I think he’s got great potential.

I am always puzzled by players that have reached the pinnacle of AAU, and are then at great programs yet have such basic flaws...no jump shot, poor FT shooting, dribbling, etc...just basics, yet missing. Guess I'm the winged Buffalo in the commercial...fundamentals..box out!
I don't think Amile or Lance had jump shots or dribbled well when they walked into Duke. Those kids played with heart and the coaching staff gave them a chance. By the end of the season, what they did kept them on the court. Stewart never had that luxury.

Reactions: youngman42
I love mitchell but he absolutely obliterates our spacing on offense. Our guards couldn't get going or find driving lanes because he clogged the paint.

Flip being able to space the floor from the 5 was a shame we didn't have any options at the 4 who could do the same.

I don't think Amile or Lance had jump shots or dribbled well when they walked into Duke. Those kids played with heart and the coaching staff gave them a chance. By the end of the season, what they did kept them on the court. Stewart never had that luxury.
I like Stewart, I hope he stays...always gave us that extra protection inside

McCain won’t go in the lottery but first round yes . He’s not going before Flip. Flip doesn’t have to be a starter in the league he will help a lot of teams with his size coming off the bench and offensive game .
Are you saying if he returns ? Or in the league ? If he returns yes if your talking about the league no
I am not an insider or anything. These are just my thoughts and opinions. McCain has been floating around 11-12 pick the last few weeks on several mocks. It changed after last game. It will change again after final four and again. You could definitely be right though and McCain could after 15 on draft night. I am not an evaluator. I just look at mocks and they are far from perfect. Concerning proctor, I was stating my prediction is that he will stay and be great. I wasn’t even thinking about him going pro. That would seem like a poor business decision with nil. I don’t think we should expect McCain to be back. If he does return, no one will be happier in this thread than me. Go Duke.

Reactions: youngman42
Just curious, anyone surprised Power was basically anchored to the bench in the big dance? Don't get me wrong, Blakes gave us good minutes. However would TJ perhaps have stretched the floor a bit more, giving us more room to drive paint?? Thanks- OFC

Just curious, anyone surprised Power was basically anchored to the bench in the big dance? Don't get me wrong, Blakes gave us good minutes. However would TJ perhaps have stretched the floor a bit more, giving us more room to drive paint?? Thanks- OFC
The coaching staff weren't confident in his production. Do I think you take a chance? Yes. What does it look like on defense. Take a Chance.

That has been brought up a few times. I think Power would have been manhandled against Houston. Against State, it might have been some much needed comic relief to see him guard Burns. But if there was any way to get Burns to guard Power, that also would have been hysterical. Unfortunately, the matchups would have been tough.

That has been brought up a few times. I think Power would have been manhandled against Houston. Against State, it might have been some much needed comic relief to see him guard Burns. But if there was any way to get Burns to guard Power, that also would have been hysterical. Unfortunately, the matchups would have been tough.
It was comical letting our guys allow him to dribble and turn with 0 pressure despite being burned all day. Power works hard, and has had some good defensive plays. I would’ve liked to see him get some burn after seeing how Sunday wrapped up

He’s a former 5 star pf who teams willingly sag off of . If a guy like Ryan young can regularly add more of an impact than Mitchell what does that say about his value?
He gives us value...just inconsistent. He struggled playing PF. Also, he played hurt.

The reality is this kid wants to be a wing. No room on the roster.

He gives us value...just inconsistent. He struggled playing PF. Also, he played hurt.

The reality is this kid wants to be a wing. No room on the roster.
He played the sf spot on highschool.
We didn’t even have a true wing this year.

Reactions: sheyduke
He’s a former 5 star pf who teams willingly sag off of . If a guy like Ryan young can regularly add more of an impact than Mitchell what does that say about his value?
Ryan Young did not have more of a regular impact than Mark. Mark wasn't great this year but he gave us a better shot of winning on the court as opposed to Young.

Reactions: dukecorey
Mitchell was a top 30 recruit, Young was a grad transfer from Northwestern. They both did have positive impact for the team, but the gap between the two isn’t as big as it should be.

That’s actually sad.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT