ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Houston SWEET 16

Sampson is such a sore loser.

"It doesn't feel like a fair fight. You would have to take maybe two of theirs to equal one of Jamal. That's how good he was. He's a first-team All American. You don't have another one of those. You don't have the best defensive player in the Big 12. You don't have a guy that made all the big shots at the end."

For a program that prides itself on its “toughness”, their leader is soft. And let’s stop talking about Houston like their actually tough, real tough guys don’t have to try to injure the other team every trip down the court just to win.

Don't know if it was mentioned in-game before page 8, but this is our first tourney win as a lower/worse seed since we beat Purdue in 1994!

That first timeout was brilliant. We got tough in a hurry. Major props to Ryan Young for spearheading that. While the refs swallowed their whistles, I thought they were mostly consistent and even. That's the best kind of bad.

"It doesn't feel like a fair fight. You would have to take maybe two of theirs to equal one of Jamal. That's how good he was. He's a first-team All American. You don't have another one of those. You don't have the best defensive player in the Big 12. You don't have a guy that made all the big shots at the end."

For a program that prides itself on its “toughness”, their leader is soft. And let’s stop talking about Houston like their actually tough, real tough guys don’t have to try to injure the other team every trip down the court just to win.
Everybody in the country knows that this wasnt a real win for Duke. Hence why every article is saying that Shead's injury is the reason Duke barely won.

Shead is a 20pt a game guy and their primary ball handler...no doubt it would have been a different game but i have zero sympathy because the way they play isnt basketball....

Because Duke recruiting one and done 5 star recruits with no work ethic has done them wonders over the last several years. Remind me how well Zion and several others are doing in the NBA now, surely he's not on the verge of eating himself out of the league and giving up on plays.

Because Duke recruiting one and done 5 star recruits with no work ethic has done them wonders over the last several years. Remind me how well Zion and several others are doing in the NBA now, surely he's not on the verge of eating himself out of the league and giving up on plays.
Bye bye. Houston will NEVER be in the same sentence as Duke. So salty and so upset...maybe one day you can hang with the big boys

Scheyer deserves his flowers. After losing in the ACC tournament they coulda packed it in and gave up. He has them playing their ass off defensively , I don’t care who we’ve played our d has been fantastic. Flip actually looked like he was having a blast last night. We ALL want to win it all but man a final four in year two of coaching would be pretty sweet.

I agree with your analysis. He got out-coached. Yes, two of his players got injured, but he made no adjustments. Whether his players we're hurt or not the game plan was to beat up on DUKE. NC State will play a similar style.

I am sick of hearing about the Shead injury. He is a great player, no doubt. Let’s not forget Duke is without a really good guard and has dealt with injuries with what seems like as long as I can remember. It happens, it’s basketball. Duke won is all the headlines should read. We weathered the storm before the injury occurred. Houston was only up 6 at the time of the injury. I guarantee you if flip had gotten hurt the headline would have read Houston moving on, and nothing about a Duke injury.

Red Dragon Coog sorta "come in peace" yesterday but after the loss is now a sore loser. Did the Shead injury hurt? Of course it did. Would we have win with him on the court? No one knows. I personally think the refs swallowed their whistles on Houston to even the game out. No way you go from 28 fouls last week to only 12 last night with only 4 called on them in the second half.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I am sick of hearing about the Shead injury. He is a great player, no doubt. Let’s not forget Duke is without a really good guard and has dealt with injuries with what seems like as long as I can remember. It happens, it’s basketball. Duke won is all the headlines should read. We weathered the storm before the injury occurred. Houston was only up 6 at the time of the injury. I guarantee you if flip had gotten hurt the headline would have read Houston moving on, and nothing about a Duke injury.
No one felt sorry for us when Mark was announced out for the Tennessee game 10 minutes before tip off last year. No one felt sorry for us when Caleb went down. Injuries suck but there part of the game, we know this all too well

Zion is playing his best basketball in his career and looking Very Lean! He has the Pelicans in the 4 or 5 seed in the Wild Wild West right now. If you are going to post on this board at least know what you’re talking about.

Zion is playing his best basketball in his career and looking Very Lean! He has the Pelicans in the 4 or 5 seed in the Wild Wild West right now. If you are going to post on this board at least know what you’re talking about.
Duke has 25 players in the NBA with multiple starters and all stars. Houston has 5 with one (Quentin Grimes) who plays any significant minutes. Like @bullcity gamer said, if you're gonna come here, at least come here with facts

Great game, and too bad Houston's heart and soul player's career had to be ended on a brutal and sad note. Duke did what it had to do win. That said, I will be rooting for the underdog: NC State (aka the feel good story of the tournament team). Go Wolfpacks!

Go Blue, Hail To The Victors! 12X National Champions in Football

Your ability to make a cogent point and then wrap that into a complete piece of nonsensical drivel is outstanding.

Everybody in the country knows that this wasnt a real win for Duke. Hence why every article is saying that Shead's injury is the reason Duke barely won.
We had Shead locked when he played anyway lol. 1-5 for 2 points. We’ve been missing one of our best players for a month a half, your don’t hear any excuses from us. The better team won last night.

Great game, and too bad Houston's heart and soul player's career had to be ended on a brutal and sad note. Duke did what it had to do win. That said, I will be rooting for the underdog: NC State (aka the feel good story of the tournament team). Go Wolfpacks!

Aint no way a Michigan football fan ran to the Duke bball board lmao.

The disrespect is unreal. We're last in the ESPN betting odds. And 6th in their new rankings. Everyone says we don't deserve this. Did you all see what Sampson said? It would take at least two of our players even to come close to matching Shead how they would've won with him. Maybe so. But damn, if I don't feel like we're seriously being disrespected right now.

The disrespect is unreal. We're last in the ESPN betting odds. And 6th in their new rankings. Everyone says we don't deserve this. Did you all see what Sampson said? It would take at least two of our players even to come close to matching Shead how they would've won with him. Maybe so. But damn, I feel like we're seriously being disrespected right now.
Injuries are part of the game. We didn't have Foster. Would we still have won if Shead wasn't injured? Maybe, maybe not. But it was surprising to see a coach say that. It's not like he was injured on a dirty play or something. Feel great about the win last night. On to Sunday! We have a great shot to make another final four. Our guys are playing with a chip on their shoulder, maybe that is a good thing being disrespected.
What's with the troll? Sore loser go away. Enjoy your sweet 16 and move along. Next.

Last edited:
I said it before and I'll say it again...I personally think the refs swallowed their whistles on Houston to even the game out once Shead got hurt. No way you go from 28 fouls last week to only 12 last night with only 4 called on them in the second half. We woulda won by 10 plus if not for all those foul calls against us in the second half.

And if Joe Burrow wasn't injured my Bengals make the playoffs. **** happens; it's sports. That is why you need a bench. We won is all that matters. I wish the young man a speedy recovery. Feels so great to overachieve, or at least match our preseason predictions. State is hot but I think we win!

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I said it before and I'll say it again...I personally think the refs swallowed their whistles on Houston to even the game out once Shead got hurt. No way you go from 28 fouls last week to only 12 last night with only 4 called on them in the second half. We woulda won by 10 plus if not for all those foul calls against us in the second half.
4 fouls in the second half for THAT team is hilarious man. The refs could’ve called multiple legitimate fouls on every single defensive possession for them and that’s it? They can’t complain about Shead when the refs stepped in to try to lead them to E8. With a remotely even whistle we win by 20+

I admire Kelvin Sampson's background as a native American who grew up poor and has made a great career for himself.

Having said that, he has coached 34 years, has not only broken rules but then gone and broken them again, and has coached in exactly 2 Final Fours. He coaches thug basketball and yet he stands there last night and b---s about "floppers". Reminds me of the Wisconsin coach who complained about Duke "renting" players. The whine of a loser.

Look, I get Sampson is bitter because his No. 1 rated team couldn't get out of the Sweet 16. But show some grace. Maybe learn how to be humble from our Coach Scheyer.

4 fouls in the second half for THAT team is hilarious man. The refs could’ve called multiple legitimate fouls on every single defensive possession for them and that’s it? They can’t complain about Shead when the refs stepped in to try to lead them to E8. With a remotely even whistle we win by 20+
Exactly. They were getting the Baconator treatment. It's virtually impossible to be called for only 4 fouls the way they play.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30

12 X champs? Mythigan loves those Toledo Gazette and wonder bread titles in 1910 don't they? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT