ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs UNC

That’s why I asked who the refs were before this game. I hate when Roger Ayers and the white haired guy call our games. Did you hear Ayers, when he called the hook and hold on Davis, say “I know I’m about to get boo’d here for this…” when he was explaining to Bilas the call. Why you worried about being boo’d for making the right call? I’d much rather have Ted Valentine who isn’t afraid of the fans

Yep, Ayers should be banned from doing their games. Why doesn’t the ACC look into this or the media blast UNC/Ayers?? If it was Duke it would’ve been national news and everyone would say see Duke gets all the calls. Such BS
UNC is the media, unfortunately.

My two cents...J Will and Bilas are media guys. I knew J Will pretty well when he was at Duke, we are not friends, but he and I have had some pretty good one on one conversations over the years. He loves Duke. I think he is trying to keep his job after the cuts ESPN made. Keep stirring the pot, keep his name in the cycle. Bilas, who was my camp coach, I can't stand him. Everything is, "He was fouled, foul, foul, foul!"

The difference was the first few minutes of the game. The 6 turnovers and 10 Points they got off them.. We hung with them after that. Our defense was lazy and bad throughout! We’re lucky it wasn’t worse. Every possession they had on offense it was a I just hope they miss shot.

Cut the TO’s in half and hit another three or two and this game probably goes our way. They had 19 points off of Duke’s 11 TO’s and we shot 26% from three. I was not able to watch the game but was Mitchell on Ingram? Was kind of surprised he had that huge of a game.

The fact Jon flat out said we did not get up for this game and we were not amped enough is really frustrating. I just don't know if he can truly lock this team in at any point if they can't get up for a game in the cheat dome.

Need to lay the wood to ND on Wednesday

The fact Jon flat out said we did not get up for this game and we were not amped enough is really frustrating. I just don't know if he can truly lock this team in at any point if they can't get up for a game in the cheat dome.

Need to lay the wood to ND on Wednesday
Exactly , duke was lazy and soft. We don’t have a developed bench, mm ruins spacing and flip isn’t a center and pouts the whole game. Team is an inconsistent mess

Mitchell needs to be more of a dog on offense. He’s hurting us. It’s a combination of that and Flip isn’t patient enough at times. Jon needs to set him up by having him in spots where he can pass out, or shoot.

And Proctor? Did someone slip something into his Gatorade to mellow him out? Talk about nonexistent.

The kid that’s becoming our best player is McCain. He can shoot, drive, and he rebounds like a beast. That Duke fans, is a dog.

Jay Bilas was as bad as our costly turnovers and not getting back on D. If one of his motives is for fans to not know he went to Duke, then he’s more than accomplished that. His reaction to the hook n hold on Davis and when Bacot bulldozed Young (who was called for the foul) were beyond awful. That’s just two of many.

Last edited:
That’s why I asked who the refs were before this game. I hate when Roger Ayers and the white haired guy call our games. Did you hear Ayers, when he called the hook and hold on Davis, say “I know I’m about to get boo’d here for this…” when he was explaining to Bilas the call. Why you worried about being boo’d for making the right call? I’d much rather have Ted Valentine who isn’t afraid of the fans
I heard that. That was a bush league thing to say. I threw up in my mouth a little bit Refs ate at least supposed to pretend they’re not sensitive to the crowd

I thought UNC looked relaxed
I thought we looked tight.
My dad remarked that something is off with Duke. I am hoping for a split, but last night they looked like the better team. 16 amd 5 is still good. Lets go on another streak. We seemed a little unprepared for their fast brrak offense. A lot of open looks for them. We were scoring, we just couldnt stop them.

Last edited:
Starting 5 by age...UNC...21, 22, 23, 25, 18....Duke 19,19,20, 20, 22.....experience counts..thats why we were tight and they werent....they've been there before, many times...for a couple of our guys it was their first experience of the game.

Well well, look who made a surprise gamethread appearance on a night we’re struggling.
We didn’t struggle it was the refs….

Didn’t you read the thread?

To suggest we struggled would also suggest UNC was the better team….

Cut the TO’s in half and hit another three or two and this game probably goes our way. They had 19 points off of Duke’s 11 TO’s and we shot 26% from three. I was not able to watch the game but was Mitchell on Ingram? Was kind of surprised he had that huge of a game.

it was mind boggling that Ingram shot a lot of wide open 3s. There were definitely some miscommunication on the screens set by unc. I kept wondering why Mitchell wasn't contesting those 3s. From my view of the game last night it looked like Bacot, Ingram, and Trimble hurt Duke. Davis and Ryan did not go off against Duke. Hubert also had a very short leash on Washington.

I agree with Mac, it would be refreshing to see the coaching staff get Flip involved early on the offensive end of the ball, have Flip work from the free throw line-in and either go strong to the hoop for a bucket, pull the 15 footer, or dish to an open teammate. I will say I was impressed with Flip's offensive moves last night in the paint. He had some tough finishes on Bacot last night!

Any one else confused as to why Foster did not get much if any run at all in the 2nd half last night? I thought he played pretty composed in the 1st half when McCain was trying to force the issue in the 1st half.

Reactions: Mac9192
We’ve pretty much all agreed that a balance of experience and youth is the ideal makeup. But experience is only a plus when that experience is also good.

It’s also not true that all freshmen aren’t ready. Case in point: McCain. He was arguably our best player last night. He was everywhere.

The problem with our team is they haven’t shown the ability to fight. And the bunch that is showing the least amount of fight is our sophomores. Only one of the three (Flip) brings fight, toughness, or whatever word you want to say, to every game.

We’ve put Flip on a pedestal. He is good, but not elite. I’d like to think we have plenty of talent around him to make a run, but talent only gets you so far.

They’ve all got to play each game like it’s a war.

Any one else confused as to why Foster did not get much if any run at all in the 2nd half last night? I thought he played pretty composed in the 1st half when McCain was trying to force the issue in the 1st half.
Foster was awful on defense and got into foul trouble.

We’ve pretty much all agreed that a balance of experience and youth is the ideal makeup. But experience is only a plus when that experience is also good.

It’s also not true that all freshmen aren’t ready. Case in point: McCain. He was arguably our best player last night. He was everywhere.

The problem with our team is they haven’t shown the ability to fight. And the bunch that is showing the least amount of fight is our sophomores. Only one of the three (Flip) brings fight, toughness, or whatever word you want to say, to every game.

We’ve put Flip on a pedestal. He is good, but not elite. I’d like to think we have plenty of talent around him to make a run, but talent only gets you so far.

They’ve all got to play each game like it’s a war.

Agreed Mac, now it's time The Blue Devils start treating every game like a "war". This team has the talent, camaraderie, and experience to make a run. They are very good offensively and when they are focused on the defensive end of the court, they are a tough team to beat. They need to embrace the "us against the world" mentality every time they take the court. Hopefully they will respond well, there is still a lot of basketball to be played. Even Duke's two most recent National Championship teams laid some duds throughout the season where they looked terrible. I am not calling last night's game a dud. 2010 - losses to Georgetown, St. John's, and NC State, all blow outs. 2015 - the NC State blow out on the road and the Miami blow out at Cameron Indoor Stadium. This season so far the losses at G Tech and the loss at home to Pitt (which I still don't consider it a dud as much as I do the loss at G Tech), this Duke team has not gotten blown out this season which is a positive thing, they just need to develop that "us against the world" mentality every time they take the basketball court. I still very much so like this team, but it's time for the Sophomores to become Juniors and for the Freshmen to become Sophomores.

I think my biggest takeaway (as per @bullcity gamer ) was the surprising ROOM Ingram kept getting on his perimeter shots. Duke did an excellent job on Davis, and Jon definitely had a plan- to hold down Davis.Also, I didn't expect Bacot to put up the kind of numbers he did. Obviously the loss of Lively, Reeves injury and Duke's inability to secure a rim protector this summer came home to bite us.

On the surface, you figure hmmm, hold R.J. under 20 we are going to beat North Carolina. Jon's smart, and he will learn from this. He may tweak his defensive strategy vs unc in Durham.Is it better to simply play UNC straight up to the point where OTHERS DO NOT get WIDE OPEN LOOKS???

Still as @Mac9192 and others have written, there's no excuse for playing soft and getting outhustled. Sure, UNC is better than last year, older, and bolstered by not only transfers but the subtraction of Love. However, we are (minus Derek and Dariq), pretty much the same squad (with a senior Jeremy and solid core of sophomore returnees) who swept unc last year. We held them to 57 POINTS each game!!!

2nd half of ACC season is upon us. It's time to get tougher, fight, scrap, etc. I don't want to see those @$$h@t$ want the game in Durham more than we do. Saturday. they clearly carried the fight to us. Cameron will give us an opportunity to reverse the trend, and likely help our seed.

OFC

Busy day yesterday, finally getting a chance to reply to this thread post game.....with a clear head. I agree with many of the comments already made here. We did come out soft and seemed young, and clearly UNC was the aggressor. I thought we looked lost on defense most of the time, and we missed far too many opportunities to close the lead in the second half missing open shots that needed to go down. We had no answer for an 8th year Bacot at the 5. I said it before the game, I felt we needed Mitchell and Proctor to have big games for us to win. Mitchell was pretty well contained, and Proctor just was not on his game for whatever reason.

We were at the Dean Dome, UNC coming off a bad loss, but otherwise looking like the best team in the ACC......I am not shocked by the outcome. What will surprise and disappoint me would be if we regress from here. Let's win out the rest of our ACC games and take it to UNC at Cameron to close out the regular season.

First of all, to lose to the Cheaters at their place by 9 when they were coming off a loss and were at the top of their game is nothing to be shamed of.

Having said that, no question Duke could have played better, smarter and harder. But this time last year I felt some guys were playing soft and they got tougher by the time March came around (except for the Tennessee mugging).

I would like to see better recognition of who is killing us (Ingram) and take our chance with others. Also, what's with the jumping for every head fake at the 3 pt. line? How many 3 pt. shots are actually blocked as opposed to a head fake and one dribble for the wide open 3? C'mon guys.

Look, we all expected as did the coaches that Stewart and Reeves would give us something up front and Flip wouldn't be on an island. It's a flawed team. I'm starting to think Stewart isn't going to be ready this season and Power seems to be getting deeper on the bench each week. So Coach Scheyer does the best he can with a smaller team. We can still get better I think.

Busy day yesterday, finally getting a chance to reply to this thread post game.....with a clear head. I agree with many of the comments already made here. We did come out soft and seemed young, and clearly UNC was the aggressor. I thought we looked lost on defense most of the time, and we missed far too many opportunities to close the lead in the second half missing open shots that needed to go down. We had no answer for an 8th year Bacot at the 5. I said it before the game, I felt we needed Mitchell and Proctor to have big games for us to win. Mitchelan was pretty well contained, and Proctor just was not on his game for whatever reason.

We were at the Dean Dome, UNC coming off a bad loss, but otherwise looking like the best team in the ACC......I am not shocked by the outcome. What will surprise and disappoint me would be if we regress from here. Let's win out the rest of our ACC games and take it to UNC at Cameron to close out the regular season.
All for it Alan!!
OFC

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Since the conference is down Duke only has a couple chances to see what they are really capable of. So far Round of 32 , maybe Sweet 16 seems like the best to hope for with what we’ve seen. Could change, but missing a few pieces means only exceptional effort gets them further.

You could make a drinking game out of everytime he either says Good pass! or Foul! you take a shot. You’d be three sheets to the wind by half.
I used to get sick of Dickie V, but he’d at least say something funny now and then.

You could make a drinking game out of everytime he either says Good pass! or Foul! you take a shot. You’d be three sheets to the wind by half.
I used to get sick of Dickie V, but he’d at least say something funny now and then.

I rather have the Dickie V and Dan Schulmann duo back together. They make those prime time matchups exciting to listen to. Bilas spends too much talking about stuff not even related to the game such as the type of ice cream those idiots from Lexington eat at Rupp arena, stick to the game Bilas and maybe you wouldn’t miss out on the game happening right in front of you.

Hart, I would like to see Coach try having The Blue Devils stick to the Tar Heels one on one and throw wrinkles every few defensive possessions to keep the heels guessing with their offensive schemes. I’m with Alan, hopefully the Blue Devils handle business for the remainder of the season!

Last edited:
I rather have the Dickie V and Dan Schulmann duo back together. They make those prime time matchups exciting to listen to. Bilas spends too much talking about stuff not even related to the game such as the type of ice cream those idiots from Lexington eat at Rupp arena, stick to the game Bilas and maybe your wouldn’t miss out on the game happening right in front of you.

Hart, I would like to see Coach try having The Blue Devils stick to the Tar Heels one on one and throw wrinkles every few defensive possessions to keep the heels guessing with their offensive schemes. I’m with Alan, hopefully the Blue Devils handle business for the remainder of the season!
Yeah, I mean why not Bull. Just regular one on one, nose- to-nose Duke D, with occasional tweeks. Give me Dickie V and Shulman too. @Mac9192 shoots from the hip, and Jay was at his worse Saturday nite.

OFC

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Maybe Bill Walton should call our games from here on out. :eek:

I would like to see Duke come out like a house on fire Wednesday and set the tone for the rest of the regular season!!

Reactions: hart2chesson
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT