• Total voters

BluePhil

Cameron Crazy
Jan 28, 2008
Positives:

1. We were second team out on last poll

2. We are 4 -0

3. Boston College and VT lost to unranked teams

4. Peo PM le like watching ranked teams play and if we get ranked and VT drops nominally it is a ranked game.

5. Army had a good showing against Ok making our victory look better.

Negatives:

1. Duke does not get much love.

2. Kentucky will probably need to move up - will there be room for 2 new in top 25?

VT just dismissed their best DL. A win against them won't look as good as it would have a week ago, but 5-0 looks pretty good. What do you think of next weeks game now?

Reactions: DukeDenver
VT just dismissed their best DL. A win against them won't look as good as it would have a week ago, but 5-0 looks pretty good. What do you think of next weeks game now?

And I doubt their QB plays. Plus, that FSU win looks less impressive every time FSU plays. Even so, if we beat VT, we'll be ranked. Right now, I just don't see it. We've got 3 good (but by no means great) wins, and 1 as expected blowout (ask OK, that isn't as easy as it sounds). If the rankings were expanded, I think Duke would be in that 25-35 range. Which is fantastic. I hoped we'd be at 3-1 at this point, I thought we might be at 2-2, and there was a decent chance we'd be at 1-3. So 4-0 is fantastic. 2 more games to bowl eligibility. We've got a huge game next week, and We've got a chance to pull it off.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Maybe not tomorrow. If we beat V.T. for sure. Even if we are ranked tomorrow I doubt it will be above 23. Should we lose to V.T. we will be right out of it. Beat V.T. and we might be above #20. OFC

Top 25 is huge. I'm sure it helps that we are playing VT next week, as the game can now be billed as a top 25 matchup, which is good for everyone involved. Now the loss doesn't hurt as much, the league gets to tout the number of ranked teams, and our TV partners have a better game to flog.
Let's get it done.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think winning at Baylor was a pretty solid win.

Our competition YTD has been less than stellar. It’s not our fault they suck, duke has played well enough to win. I do know this - another half of football, from here on out, like the first half yesterday and we will not win the game. Pitt/WF/UNC would have beaten us yesterday.

Reactions: skysdad
Our competition YTD has been less than stellar. It’s not our fault they suck, duke has played well enough to win. I do know this - another half of football, from here on out, like the first half yesterday and we will not win the game. Pitt/WF/UNC would have beaten us yesterday.

Eh, I'm not sure that Pitt or WFU beats us yesterday, and I'm pretty sure UNC wouldn't have.
The reality is, Duke was allowed to slack yesterday. No one can get up for every game. It is important to have a few cupcakes. The staff lets the team be a little bad during the week, which usually translates into a subpar game. This is especially likely the week before a huge game vs a tough opponent (VT). Heck, the staff likes games like yesterday, because it lets them refocus the team and provides a painless "we told you so" opportunity.
While some teams might have beaten Duke yesterday, we wouldn't have played that poorly vs better teams. It is important to realize how good it is that Duke can take an opponent lightly, play relatively poorly, and STILL GET A COMFORTABLE WIN. That is the provenance of top 25 programs. Be thankful we are there.

Eh, I'm not sure that Pitt or WFU beats us yesterday, and I'm pretty sure UNC wouldn't have.
The reality is, Duke was allowed to slack yesterday. No one can get up for every game. It is important to have a few cupcakes. The staff lets the team be a little bad during the week, which usually translates into a subpar game. This is especially likely the week before a huge game vs a tough opponent (VT). Heck, the staff likes games like yesterday, because it lets them refocus the team and provides a painless "we told you so" opportunity.
While some teams might have beaten Duke yesterday, we wouldn't have played that poorly vs better teams. It is important to realize how good it is that Duke can take an opponent lightly, play relatively poorly, and STILL GET A COMFORTABLE WIN. That is the provenance of top 25 programs. Be thankful we are there.

Oh trust me, no one is more excited that we are ranked, but i can remember all the way back to..... last year.
Saturday’s first half was similar to a few games from last season. The unc game was the only one we were lucky enough to win(thanks to chazz).

Oh trust me, no one is more excited that we are ranked, but i can remember all the way back to..... last year.
Saturday’s first half was similar to a few games from last season. The unc game was the only one we were lucky enough to win(thanks to chazz).

But that is my point. I would bet anything that the team had some wonky practices last week. Sure, the staff told them to perk up and focus, but it was a little half hearted. The first half played out EXACTLY how the staff wanted it too. We had a lead, but we hadn't played well. At half time, each positional coach opened up by screaming "I told you so" at their guys. This was followed by the respective coordinators, both D and O, screaming "we told you so," at their players. Then Cut walked in and calmly said, "we told you so." This was an abject lesson to the team.
And the staff wanted it just that way. With VT looming, the staff would never accept what I'm sure went on in practice last week. That said, our players would not approach VT the same way they prepped for NCCU. No team can get up for, and rigorously prepare for, every game on the schedule. It is human nature to relax a little when playing a lesser opponent, especially when one of, if not THE, biggest games is the next week. (I know Clemson is better, but with the game at their house, I give us no chance, and it doesn't make much sense to worry about that game)
We played a poor game and still won big. Only perennial top 25 teams can get away with that. I'm sure local recruits took notice and were suitably impressed.

Wow!

Five new teams in the top 25, it was a wild weekend.

VT will be shooting for us and a return to the rankings. This will be a very good win for us if we can pull it off. This team has surprised me with their resiliency in the face of numerous injuries.

I'd be more worried if Duke played poorly the second half on Saturday. They got the message at half time and looked good in the second half. There will be no problem with motivation vs. Va. Tech. I can't say Duke will win but it will be very competitive and a great indicator of where we stand as the middle of the season approaches.

I'd rather be the dogs. I thought Vegas would have us the dogs despite the ranking.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT