ADVERTISEMENT

Tre Jones NDPOY?

I think he has a case to be the front runner. When is the last time a guard took home that award?

His defense is quite tenacious!
Still quite early to tell! Still have conference play to go, but right now he is indeed building a case for the award.

Tough to say I haven’t watched other teams. But I gotta imagine for ACC a very strong candidate.

Tre would have my vote right now. I think it would be an amazing story to have a Duke OAD freshman win this award after years of being mocked for our poor defense.

Who else would be his competition?? I know the Konate guy from WVU blocks shot after shot, but WVU is struggling this year.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
Tre would have my vote right now. I think it would be an amazing story to have a Duke OAD freshman win this award after years of being mocked for our poor defense.

Who else would be his competition?? I know the Konate guy from WVU blocks shot after shot, but WVU is struggling this year.

Blocking shots is one dimension defense,Tre's D interrupts the entire offensive flow of the other team. That was beautiful to watch last night.

Blocking shots is one dimension defense,Tre's D interrupts the entire offensive flow of the other team. That was beautiful to watch last night.
Oh I definitely agree. My assumption is that the guys who vote for these awards are old-school and not aware of the times: they favor the older guy, not the freshman. And they favor the traditional big-man, even though in 2018 I'd much rather have a bull-hulker than a shot-blocker.

Reactions: HonkeyT
If people weren't taking notice prior to last night, then they are now. I'll admit to not watching as much college basketball so far this season as I'd like to, but I can't imagine there are many players making that kind of an impact on defense. He was so disruptive last night.

You’re simply wrong to think they are partial to a kid just because he’s older. It goes to a kid on a very competitive team, and usually it is an older kid that gets it. That’s just a fact.
TJ Warren over Jabari for ACC POY says otherwise. That was a complete joke, the ACC guys who voted for that should have been immediately removed from the gig. We were much more competitive than NC St that year. That’s just a fact.

Well said Honkey

The other point guards in the acc better wear their big boy panties when Mr Jones comes to town.

Can we give it up with last year's team? It's become nauseating, and it's the same people every single time. It's entirely possible to celebrate this group and appreciate them without throwing down another team. I'd encourage folks to try it. It's fun.

I admit to be guilty of this myself. I don’t mean to be, but our teams deserve better from their fans.

I admit to be guilty of this myself. I don’t mean to be, but our teams deserve better from their fans.

Hey Crazy I am guilty too but I think Duke fans probably EXPECTED better per the media hype the last couple years. I know I did, but REGARDLESS of last two years I am THRILLED w/the GRIT AND DESIRE OF THIS YEAR'S TEAM!

Per bringing up past years, while it may irritate some, I see nothing wrong with comparisons. Thats inevitable in sports, when talking about teams.Btw, to get back to OP, I think the fact Tre was such a disruptive force last nite in really a mecca of basketball history, makes him a definitite candidate at this very early juncture.

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
Man I love Tre Jones game too much to not be bias. I am a big fan but look at things through an objective lens. But this kids heart and passion for Duke is too obvious and legit. He is one of those guys that truly has Duke in his heart and he plays like it.

His ability to pressure the ball for 40minutes is very Carter like. Plus I bekieve he is a closer. I would rather have the ball in his hands in a clutch situation cause I trust his mid range pull up and his decision making more than anyone else on the team.

Man I love Tre Jones game too much to not be bias. I am a big fan but look at things through an objective lens. But this kids heart and passion for Duke is too obvious and legit. He is one of those guys that truly has Duke in his heart and he plays like it.

His ability to pressure the ball for 40minutes is very Carter like. Plus I bekieve he is a closer. I would rather have the ball in his hands in a clutch situation cause I trust his mid range pull up and his decision making more than anyone else on the team.

Nice post Jacket!

OFC

That would be nice. Has a freshman ever won it? OFC

I don't know if he'll get NDPOY, but he is one terrific defender. Our defense starts with Tre.

OFC
The season is already a fail:
1. We won't go 40-0
2. We lost for the first time at Maui
3. We're a weak team because we don't schedule "true" away games.
4. Zion is just human.
5. Cam is in a rut.
6. Jack is just a role player.

and now your saying that Tre is a terrific defender EVEN IF he doesn't get NDPOY. Just feel like I'm getting dog-piled.

The season is already a fail:
1. We won't go 40-0
2. We lost for the first time at Maui
3. We're a weak team because we don't schedule "true" away games.
4. Zion is just human.
5. Cam is in a rut.
6. Jack is just a role player.

and now your saying that Tre is a terrific defender EVEN IF he doesn't get NDPOY. Just feel like I'm getting dog-piled.

We just don't have anything to look forward to do we LT?:D Well, maybe if we're able to roll the Heels a couple of times, win the ACC, and the NCAA's that might be a few small consolation prizes!:)

OFC

Didn't Jevon Carter win the last couple of years as a guard?
Yep, and Malcolm Brogden the year before that and Aaron Craft a couple years before that. (Debatable whether Brogden was accurately labeled as a SG in college, but so says the record book. Carter and Craft were PGs.)

But the perception that it's usually big men is understandable, I think. A high-flying block followed by a mean mug makes for more memorable highlight reels than quick hands stripping the ball at knee-level in much the same way that the theatrics of a dunk will beat a 3-pointer on the highlight reel every time despite the scoreboard value (game circumstances being equal).

It's in line with draft "potential," too: You can't teach height. Oden over Durant; Bowie over what's his name; Olowokandi over... well, anybody.

Has a freshman ever won it?
Oden and Davis are the only 2, which I can also tie in to my points above...

It takes a while for guys to learn defense within a team concept. On top of not being emphasized like offense, individually impressive defense can sometimes damage team defense if a (big) guy is squandering transition opportunities by blocking shots out of bounds, or faked off his feet too often while seeking more blocks, or conceding rebounding positioning too haphazardly, or if a backcourt guy picks up dumb fouls or gives up blow-bys going for yet another ill-advised steal. We love great defensive plays, but there's a lot more that goes into being a great defender. It's no wonder that even as the overall college game has trended younger and younger, defensive excellence remains an upperclassman-dominated category. Beyond the 2 freshmen NDPoY (all-time), you have to go back earlier than Oden to find 2 sophomore NDPsoY, and all the way back to Shane in '99 for a 5th underclassman. (One year after Wojo, only the third guard winner counting back from before tOSU's Croft in '14 to '98.)

With so much skill packed into freshman classes, the law of averages seems to indicate more are bound to distinguish themselves on the defensive side, despite the odds and explanations to the contrary. I'd love for Tre to be that guy. Obviously #1 is that he's our guy. What year he is doesn't matter at all to me unless he wins it next year ;). Another reason I'd pull for him is b/c in some small way, it could represent a recognition of how the less eye-popping defense can be so great.

Reactions: jwill133
JJ and Ryan Kelly are 2 great examples of good to great off the ball/team defenders who often went unnoticed by most but not to the trained eye and their coach.

Tre seems to be playing great on ball D without sacrificing team D.

Reactions: Dattier

100% agree Jacket

Who are some of the people you would rate ahead of him this year?

Great question!!

I don't know if he is a front runner or not. I kind of think he would need to score more, but that's just me and may be way off base. I would definitely like to see a list of who is a better point guard right now. I can't name one

Most fans are bias. I’m a Maryland and Cal fan and will say Tre game is very loveable. Anyone that gets in you on defense, calm on offense yet can take over moment of a game is very very impressive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT