ADVERTISEMENT

Three intriguing lineup options for next season

BlueDevilStop

Starter
Jun 8, 2020
Three intriguing potential lineups for next season. What are some lineups you would like to see?

Reactions: christophero
Great article. I like #3, the experienced lineup of Roach, Moore, Baker, Banchero and Williams. (it's really not that experienced but I guess it is for us) Of course for this to work Joey needs to consistently hit shots. Griffen can be the super 6th man. Keels and John next guys off the bench. Put Theo John in at the 4, now that would be experienced ha.

Last edited:
Great article. I like #3, the experienced lineup of Roach, Moore, Baker, Banchero and Williams. (it's really not that experienced but I guess it is for us) Of course for this to work Joey needs to consistently hit shots. Griffen can be the super 6th man. Keels and John next guys off the bench. Put Theo John in at the 4, now that would be experienced ha.
Griffin is starting. I would like to see Baker come in with Keels and John.

Thank you! I agree that Joey consitently hitting shots is a major key to making that lineup work. I don't expect to see that lineup much, but the experience aspect of that group makes it interesting.

The article says possible line ups. It doesn't say "this is the lineup we will go with all season." If we get early last season Joey (he is capable) why not? He's not some walk on.

I like your first lineup with Wendell running the point. I do think Roach starts, but I bet we see Wendell running the offense a lot this year. I actually think Wendell may be the biggest key to this coming year. He progressed as the year went on last year, but should make another substantial jump this year. He is young (will begin his junior school year as a 19 year old), and I think we will see a lot of growth and improvement this year.

If Wendell can effectively run the team I believe the ceiling of this team goes way up. Blakes may see some time, but I believe he will not see big minutes this coming year. Everyone knows the pg position is hugely important for the success of a team. I think if Wendell can run the team it takes a lot of pressure off Roach and makes us much better overall.

Agreed. We need a plan B at PG. Steward could have been. Wendell could be, but he's got to cut down on the turnovers. Blakes could be, but we don't know that yet.

Agreed on the turnovers. Wendell ran the team fairly often last year, so I think that experience will help. I also think the staff will be preparing him to it this time around, so he will get some training that maybe he didn't in the past. If he can initiate from the wing and/or bring the ball up the court, he becomes extremely valuable.

If Moore and Baker can be solid that really helps us. Those 2 and a healthy Theo John can give us experience we desperately need. We lost a lot of depth through transfer/draft, so those 2 need to step up.

Hasn't Keels played some point in high school? I thought I saw it on some of his videos on line. I hope so.

I think Moore can be a serviceable backup point if he remembers to MOVE THE BALL. Sometimes he just...dribbles for no reason. I hate that. I hope he has cured that problem.

Blakes looked serviceable in the practice video I saw. Small sample size, but he doesn't look like the kind of guard who can blow by people. Sorry I don't have the link. But he's probably not ready for big minutes yet. I didn't even think of Keels. He is big and and looks more like a SF to me, but he is also on first round mock drafts so he could possibly be a backup PG. AJ looked very athletic.

Last edited:
There are mixed feelings about Keels as a combo a lot think he’s better suited as a simple sg. I think it’s Roach, Moore then Blake in that order at pg. I don’t think Blake is being looked at for blow by speed but rather his defense and length. Baker coming off the bench I think is his best option. He’s a senior, it’s his final year and by now he should know to settle down take his shots ( please stop passing on open catch and shoot shots most of his turnovers came from trying to make an entry pass from the wing). Moore is Key. He will be called on to play the 1-3 .
Roach, Moore, Griffin, Paolo and Williams to start. Good combination of length, scoring and defense . Johns, Keels, Baker and Blake off the bench in that order. Johns is vital to letting Williams and Paolo rest some.

Was that Bates Jones guarding Williams? Williams missed a few shots, so maybe Jones could provide defense and a big body for a few minutes a game.

Reactions: sheyduke
Was that Bates Jones guarding Williams? Williams missed a few shots, so maybe Jones could provide defense and a big body for a few minutes a game.
He doesn’t need or will he play minutes, but if he can continue to play a roll in scrimmages and practice, that’s a win for us. Mark needs to build off his late season push. If he just believes the hype, he will sit.

Those are all possible options we will see.

But the one ai would like to see the most wasn’t there … and that would have the most talent, imo … would be Roach at point with Keels, Griffin, Banchero, and Williams.

Moore should get lots of minutes.

I don’t see much hope for Baker beyond wishful thinking. He would have to take a massive leap. He has some talent but is not a stellar defender nor has he shown even a modicum of consistency for several years. He’s epitomizes the flatter to deceive.

It’s another year with lots of potential and yet also the need to see that potential realized.

Reactions: Dave Vass
The difference is Experience. It's a strong mix of 4, 3 and 2 year players. We're not expecting the Freshmen to Lead Duke. They can score, rebound and give out assist, but they won't Lead.

We haven't had that in a while.

Reactions: Dave Vass
He's a great player, but he needs to be more assertive. I'm sure coach is working on that with him. We need him to be an alpha.

Last edited:
I do not want 3 freshman starting. Give me Roach, griffin, moore, paulo, williams. If Roachs shot hasnt improved, slide moore to point and insert baker or keels or whoever can make the defense respect it. We are gonna be tough on the block and we just need to not completely suck from 3.

I do not want 3 freshman starting. Give me Roach, griffin, moore, paulo, williams. If Roachs shot hasnt improved, slide moore to point and insert baker or keels or whoever can make the defense respect it. We are gonna be tough on the block and we just need to not completely suck from 3.
This.

He's a great player, but he needs to be more assertive. I'm sure coach is working on that with him. We need him to be an alpha.
Are you just judging by that one scrimmage? I don't think he will have any problem being an alpha

I've seen him play in high school. I did not mean it as a negative, just an adjustment. We need him to be more RJ than Cam. Zion was a little too unselfish as well. Coach K talks about this. Sometimes people don't realize how good they are.

Reactions: Mac9192
Coleman is much better than Bates, but Bates can still help. We will really feel the loss of Coleman if Theo is injured. I have a feeling Bates could be a pleasant surprise, as long as we don't expect too much.

Coleman is much better than Bates, but Bates can still help. We will really feel the loss of Coleman if Theo is injured. I have a feeling Bates could be a pleasant surprise, as long as we don't expect too much.
I'm hoping that Bates was a victim of not being evaluated because of Covid and thus being underrated.

That said, I don't have a ton of expectations with him.

I think Blakes can help too, but not sure how much this year. Maybe 4-5 minutes a game? Similar to J Gold his second year. J Gold played like a 4 star at times. Hopefully Blakes has more upside.

Blake will give you more. I believe this coaching staff will enhance the 'player development' model.

I expect for DUKE to recruit at least two 3/4 year players every year, even if it's a transfer.

Last edited:
Really don’t miss Coleman all that much. If he was such a good player , surely John (with knee issues) and Bates with barely producing much a Davidson couldn’t have scared him away . He wasn’t starting over Williams or Paolo but all the minutes at the back up 4/5 were his for the taking.

Agreed Shey. Nice guy, good effort player, not much skill. Wish him the best, but it's only a loss because he seemed like a 4 year guy who might be pretty good his last year or so, and he would've added a little depth.

I think Coleman will be a beast by junior year. Theo is an upgrade if he is healthy.

Last edited:
Really don’t miss Coleman all that much. If he was such a good player , surely John (with knee issues) and Bates with barely producing much a Davidson couldn’t have scared him away . He wasn’t starting over Williams or Paolo but all the minutes at the back up 4/5 were his for the taking.

In a traditional year, Coleman would've been a Redshirt candidate. Coleman, like many athletes, took advantage of the Redshirt to start over.

In a traditional year, Coleman would've been a Redshirt candidate. Coleman, like many athletes, took advantage of the Redshirt to start over.
Don’t think him or his family ever saw him as a red shirt possibility coming into college. From what I’ve read it seemed like his family wasn’t happy with his allotted playing time . We will see what he does at , Texas tech wasn’t it ?

Texas A&M will see where he's at. It was an overload at the 3/4 position. He's not a 5 even in small ball.

At a high level, he's a Redshirt candidate for the 1st year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT