ADVERTISEMENT

This will not end well

Just get rid of the one and done rule and let the market decide how much a recent high school grad should make based on their (basketball) skill level.

If they’re good enough to get drafted and immediately make millions, then good for them. Have at it.

If they’re good enough to go overseas and make six figures while traveling the world, and that’s what they want to do, then they should do it.

If they want to go to college for free and improve their skills without compensation, then that’s great too.

Called amateur sports for a reason. It is what it is. Life's not fair. Deal with it. Many of these kids have been poor for 18 years or longer, what's another 1 or 2?

Reactions: Devilinside
I'm not saying pay them directly but ease up on NCAA rules and regulations and allow this kids to make money off their likeness, autograph signings or something.

Reactions: Duke Blu
Well that's the whole argument. They are forced to play a year of college and can't go straight to the NBA. They want to go but can't. I think I read that Duke basketball netted $32 million the year Ingram played. I would imagine a bit more this year just for Elite 8 performances. Expenses were just over $3 million. Where does this money go? Without star players would they net nearly as much? Don't come to me with a free tuition arguments when they help the program earn that much a year. Yes they need to be compensated in some way.
Show me where you read that basketball "netted" $32,000,000. Whatever is not used for basketball facilities, salaries, scholarships, I am sure is used to benefit the many students and others who depend on Duke, for among other minor things through the Duke endowment, academic scholarships, faculty salaries, new facilities, construction, research, etc. It is not like mean old Duke is just stuffing someone's pockets with cash which instead should be redistributed to players out of some misguided sense of supposed "fairness". Finally, it is not these kids who bring attention to Duke, it is Duke which brings attention to them and without which they would have no "brand". Funny how Duke remains unchanged when these kids leave.

Show me where you read that basketball "netted" $32,000,000. Whatever is not used for basketball facilities, salaries, scholarships, I am sure is used to benefit the many students and others who depend on Duke, for among other minor things through the Duke endowment, academic scholarships, faculty salaries, new facilities, construction, research, etc. It is not like mean old Duke is just stuffing someone's pockets with cash which instead should be redistributed to players out of some misguided sense of supposed "fairness". Finally, it is not these kids who bring attention to Duke, it is Duke which brings attention to them and without which they would have no "brand". Funny how Duke remains unchanged when these kids leave.

$31+ million profit in 2016 only second to Louisville's $41 million profit that year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...asketballs-biggest-money-maker-in-2016-2018-2

Didn't see Ja Morant play on TV until the tourney. He went to Murray St. These kids do not need a top program like Duke to market themselves.

Lol and we weren't even good in 2016. I know we didn't play as many primetime national games as this year, not even close.
I'd guess the profit this year was much larger than 2016.

Notice that profit was up 35% from five years before also. I can't imagine what it was this year.

Well that's the whole argument. They are forced to play a year of college and can't go straight to the NBA. They want to go but can't. I think I read that Duke basketball netted $32 million the year Ingram played. I would imagine a bit more this year just for Elite 8 performances. Expenses were just over $3 million. Where does this money go? Without star players would they net nearly as much? Don't come to me with a free tuition arguments when they help the program earn that much a year. Yes they need to be compensated in some way.

#1 - $32M revenue isn’t much in the total picture of athletics. Duke football revenue is actually higher. Alabama football revenue is almost $200M. To really put things into perspective, Duke athletics doesn’t crack the top 25 schools.

#2 - Duke basketball is not a separate identity from Duke athletics. Same goes for football and every single sport. It’s all one.

#3 - The $3M expense number you have doesn’t include funds allocated outside of the sport. I believe since Duke is a private university, they aren’t required to document contributions as revenue / loss. The real number of Duke’s basketball expenses is between $15M-$25M annually. These numbers are directly from Duke’s Equity report and not a 3rd party source.

Anyway.... (going to round these numbers)

Average Salaries:
Coach K Himself: $9M
Men’s HC: $900,000 (11 coaches)
Women’s HC: $200,000 (11 coaches)
Men’s Asst Coach: $175,000 (34 coaches)
Women’s Asst Coach: $85,000 (23 coaches)
Total Athletic Student Aid: $18M (713 athletes)
Total Recruiting Expenses: $2M
Total Operating Gameday Expenses: $11M
Grand Total expenses: $91M

After applied revenue + contributions together, men’s sports are $20M in profit. Women’s sports are just shy of $3M in the hole.

TOTAL athletic dept. profit: $17M
Now that that profit and allocate funds to pay administration workers in the athletic department their salaries and employee wages. Additionally - apply profit towards facilities upgrade/building cost. After all, our athletes have state-of-the-art equipment and resources. Not cheap.

You asked where the money goes... Hopefully this helps.

#1 - $32M revenue isn’t much in the total picture of athletics. Duke football revenue is actually higher. Alabama football revenue is almost $200M. To really put things into perspective, Duke athletics doesn’t crack the top 25 schools.

#2 - Duke basketball is not a separate identity from Duke athletics. Same goes for football and every single sport. It’s all one.

#3 - The $3M expense number you have doesn’t include funds allocated outside of the sport. I believe since Duke is a private university, they aren’t required to document contributions as revenue / loss. The real number of Duke’s basketball expenses is between $15M-$25M annually. These numbers are directly from Duke’s Equity report and not a 3rd party source.

Average Salaries:

After applied revenue + contributions together, men’s sports are $20M in profit. Women’s sports are just shy of $3M in the hole.

Now that that profit and allocate funds to pay administration workers in the athletic department their salaries and employee wages. Additionally - apply profit towards facilities upgrade/building cost. After all, our athletes have state-of-the-art equipment and resources. Not cheap.

Thanks for digging all of this up. Really goes to show you how difficult it is to make something work when everyone just uses the blanket statement of they should all be paid. The other reality i keep coming back to, how many college athletes really should be making money? It’s easy to point to guys like Zion, or the QB from clemson. That makes sense. But they’re the exception not the rule. And the programs that are getting the big tv contracts, while yes they wouldn’t be there without the excellent players that come through, the big time brands are what attracts the eye balls. It’s just not that simple, and i don’t know what the solution is.

The 1% are the ones bringing in the money. As for the players that can’t afford to be without a job after they leave school. What about all the students who are in debt up to their ass when they leave school? Lol isn’t that the same thing? I’m confused. And that’s assuming those players didn’t get scholarships lol. Elaborate more.

That's assuming everyone leaves with that much debt. I had a whole lot of classmates that left college with no debt. And those that left without a job in place certainly had plenty of fallback options.

Your statement implied that all athletes are going to make millions so it's ot actually tough for them. It's simply not the case, just like all students. Like I said, it's a complicated issue. What's true about Duke students and Duke student athletes isn't automatically true for all student athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Thanks for digging all of this up. Really goes to show you how difficult it is to make something work when everyone just uses the blanket statement of they should all be paid. The other reality i keep coming back to, how many college athletes really should be making money? It’s easy to point to guys like Zion, or the QB from clemson. That makes sense. But they’re the exception not the rule. And the programs that are getting the big tv contracts, while yes they wouldn’t be there without the excellent players that come through, the big time brands are what attracts the eye balls. It’s just not that simple, and i don’t know what the solution is.

I think people just see the profit and throw their hands up in question. Everyone forgets that there’s people to be paid and other less fortunate programs to take care of. All of elite facilities we have aren’t free of charge either. It costs a lot of money for Duke to have all of the resources and top-notch personnel.

In comparison to the 300+ D1 programs, Duke is sitting competitively. But the real big $$$ comes from football, basketball doesn’t even hold a candle to it. We aren’t a football school, which is why we are pretty far off from being a top dog in the world of profits. I mentioned schools not being able to afford talent (if we paid athletes) earlier in the thread and someone said, “Sucks for them.” — Actually, that would sucks for us. Sticking to the ACC, Clemson brings in 1.5x Duke’s total revenue in football alone. If we want to play by money with no salary cap, we’d be wiped of existence by public universities who also have substantially more contributors.

How does that NCAA commercial go? “There are hundreds of thousands of student athletes and most of them will be going pro in something other than sports.” Seems silly that consensus believes schools should pay 400,000+ all because .001% will one day be professional.

For clarification, since he was discussing 2015, that information was of 2015. I’ll post a picture of the athletics equity report for the most recent 2018 below. (If anyone wants the link to really look at all of it, let me know.)
2w1z1iv.jpg

I think people just see the profit and throw their hands up in question. Everyone forgets that there’s people to be paid and other less fortunate programs to take care of. All of elite facilities we have aren’t free of charge either. It costs a lot of money for Duke to have all of the resources and top-notch personnel.

In comparison to the 300+ D1 programs, Duke is sitting competitively. But the real big $$$ comes from football, basketball doesn’t even hold a candle to it. We aren’t a football school, which is why we are pretty far off from being a top dog in the world of profits. I mentioned schools not being able to afford talent (if we paid athletes) earlier in the thread and someone said, “Sucks for them.” — Actually, that would sucks for us. Sticking to the ACC, Clemson brings in 1.5x Duke’s total revenue in football alone. If we want to play by money with no salary cap, we’d be wiped of existence by public universities who also have substantially more contributors.

How does that NCAA commercial go? “There are hundreds of thousands of student athletes and most of them will be going pro in something other than sports.” Seems silly that consensus believes schools should pay 400,000+ all because .001% will one day be professional.

For clarification, since he was discussing 2015, that information was of 2015. I’ll post a picture of the athletics equity report for the most recent 2018 below. (If anyone wants the link to really look at all of it, let me know.)
2w1z1iv.jpg
This is the scary truth and I’ve had this convo with folks before. We better be careful what we wish for when it comes to compensating players and oh just let the school do it. We would get destroyed. Think about how big the state schools are and how much money the big time players bring in for football. Outside of ND, private schools would no longer compete. This is also why i continually go to bat for wanting ND to remain in the ACC- from a pure financial standpoint, what they bring not even being a full member, for football revenue is monumental. Eventually, they will have to join a conference and the ACC will reap the rewards of being proactive. The new ACCNetwork will be a big boost as well.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning

Average Salaries:

Good job press conference boy:D I was lazy and just said Vegas lol

This is the scary truth and I’ve had this convo with folks before. We better be careful what we wish for when it comes to compensating players and oh just let the school do it. We would get destroyed. Think about how big the state schools are and how much money the big time players bring in for football. Outside of ND, private schools would no longer compete. This is also why i continually go to bat for wanting ND to remain in the ACC- from a pure financial standpoint, what they bring not even being a full member, for football revenue is monumental. Eventually, they will have to join a conference and the ACC will reap the rewards of being proactive. The new ACCNetwork will be a big boost as well.

The good news is that paying collegiate athletes is never going to happen. I probably shouldn’t say never, but I can’t see it. There’s schools in P5 conferences swimming in athletic debt, let alone what some mid-majors are going through. It’s an impossible situation.

People make the impression that these future professional superstars are struggling to afford a meal and that’s just so far from the truth it’s sickening. Just look at Duke for example... These kids are treated like royalty. Constant gifts from Nike, including limited edition shoes. Travel by private jet to incredible facilities and neat destinations (ie: Maui) all over the country. They receive top-notch medical attention, conditioning / training and eat like kings. These guys live the frickin’ dream.

The good news is that paying collegiate athletes is never going to happen. I probably shouldn’t say never, but I can’t see it. There’s schools in P5 conferences swimming in athletic debt, let alone what some mid-majors are going through. It’s an impossible situation.

People make the impression that these future professional superstars are struggling to afford a meal and that’s just so far from the truth it’s sickening. Just look at Duke for example... These kids are treated like royalty. Constant gifts from Nike, including limited edition shoes. Travel by private jet to incredible facilities and neat destinations (ie: Maui) all over the country. They receive top-notch medical attention, conditioning / training and eat like kings. These guys live the frickin’ dream.
Duke’s facilities are better than 90% of pro teams. Especially with all the amenities. I’m glad you brought up the medical staff, believe it or not it’s a huge recruiting tool that we have the best in the game. How many times have we gotten a recruit who’s magically injured before he arrives? You don’t think knowing you’ll get that free top notch medical attention plays a part? You’re kidding yourself, it does.

Now to be fair, not every program can afford that kind of luxury, but that’s the point. You start dabbling into paying players and kiss the beloved “parity” we always hear about.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
I’m trying to see it from the other side.....I can’t make a case.

I’m trying to see it from the other side.....I can’t make a case.
The other side is that the rarest of guys do deserve to be compensated or rather earn their net worth which is far beyond what the college package we just described includes. This year Zion was undoubtedly that guy. To the point where now he’s being used (pun intended) as the poster boy for the argument that all college players should be paid. Which is just completely illogical - to be fair, i used to sit in this camp. But when you really break down both the financials, semantics of how it could even work, and what the clear pitfalls it would have, it’s almost impossible to put into practice. I’d love to see some way a player can get paid off his likeness, especially a guy that came in with however many million followers as Zion did. I have no way how to logistically make a system work that in some way or form doesn’t allow boosters to juice the pot. It would be so easy. Come to UK, we have the best and biggest fan base and boosters in CBB. Trust me, your jersey sales will be through the roof. Hey it’s all legal! Ohio State football or Texas football i believe have the top grossing programs- you think it would be an advantage saying, you are allowed to make money off your likeness and we have the biggest and wealthiest donor base in the country. Signed sealed and delivered you’ll get every single kid. It will effectively turn into the Yankees, Red Sox, dodgers etc. just buying up everyone they want.

If we want to try and give kids a stipend (i think they already do) than I’m all for it. The goal is to clearly make sure these athletes are well taken care of so all they need to focus on is their game (and school).

I think that differentiation between football and basketball is really important, not just because of the money, but because of the rules. The NFL has the 3 year removed requirement for safety concerns. The NBA has the 1 year rule because they want fewer draft busts, which is more on the organizations than the league or kids.

I still lean toward not paying them, but it would be interesting to see what some of the proposed models might look like.

Duke’s facilities are better than 90% of pro teams. Especially with all the amenities. I’m glad you brought up the medical staff, believe it or not it’s a huge recruiting tool that we have the best in the game. How many times have we gotten a recruit who’s magically injured before he arrives? You don’t think knowing you’ll get that free top notch medical attention plays a part? You’re kidding yourself, it does.

Now to be fair, not every program can afford that kind of luxury, but that’s the point. You start dabbling into paying players and kiss the beloved “parity” we always hear about.

Yep - you’re exactly right. It’s like Alabama doing the $600M 10yr upgrade project. Which will feature the $70-80M video board added to the football stadium. There’s outside help involved, but a large chunk of it will be afforded because of football success. I know Saban planned on contributing to it, just like K has done for Duke’s facilities. Both of these men are coaching legends and gaining recruitment benefit through their earned success. That’s the way it should be.

I’m not saying schools have the audacity to not be thankful for a player choosing to attend their university..... but there are very few schools that can compete with the national exposure, facilities, resources, staff, etc. That a school like Duke or Alabama offers. In my mind they’re still amateurs, the benefit is the luxury of what I just mentioned. This isn’t the NBA, therefore it should never be about money. It’s about choosing the best program to help you maximize your future earnings.

The other side is that the rarest of guys do deserve to be compensated or rather earn their net worth which is far beyond what the college package we just described includes. This year Zion was undoubtedly that guy. To the point where now he’s being used (pun intended) as the poster boy for the argument that all college players should be paid. Which is just completely illogical - to be fair, i used to sit in this camp. But when you really break down both the financials, semantics of how it could even work, and what the clear pitfalls it would have, it’s almost impossible to put into practice. I’d love to see some way a player can get paid off his likeness, especially a guy that came in with however many million followers as Zion did. I have no way how to logistically make a system work that in some way or form doesn’t allow boosters to juice the pot. It would be so easy. Come to UK, we have the best and biggest fan base and boosters in CBB. Trust me, your jersey sales will be through the roof. Hey it’s all legal! Ohio State football or Texas football i believe have the top grossing programs- you think it would be an advantage saying, you are allowed to make money off your likeness and we have the biggest and wealthiest donor base in the country. Signed sealed and delivered you’ll get every single kid. It will effectively turn into the Yankees, Red Sox, dodgers etc. just buying up everyone they want.

If we want to try and give kids a stipend (i think they already do) than I’m all for it. The goal is to clearly make sure these athletes are well taken care of so all they need to focus on is their game (and school).
Do not think they get a stipend.Many years ago they used to get a small monthly check that was called laundry money but that has been done away with

I think that differentiation between football and basketball is really important, not just because of the money, but because of the rules. The NFL has the 3 year removed requirement for safety concerns. The NBA has the 1 year rule because they want fewer draft busts, which is more on the organizations than the league or kids.

I still lean toward not paying them, but it would be interesting to see what some of the proposed models might look like.

The NFL’s ruling is intact because of busts as well. I think over 50% of the drafted players ended up being busts, which prompted it all. I could be wrong though, it’s been a long time since I’ve read up on it. I follow football (and most sports) but basketball is the only one I religiously follow. I think a big reason for it was to protect kids from making bad decisions about their future. IMO - That’s the right thing to do. Even if a non-superstar freshman does manage to get drafted and sign for a couple million, it’s usually the first and last million they ever sign for. That’s a lot of money, but it’s easy to blow every dime of it at 18 years old. I couldn’t wait to blow my paychecks when I was that age and mine didn’t even involve commas lol.

I’d be interested in seeing what the NCAA could possibly come up with, just because any amount affordable to all schools would be too insignificant matter to the ones who actually “deserve” compensation.

Do not think they get a stipend.Many years ago they used to get a small monthly check that was called laundry money but that has been done away with

It’s $3,500 each semester at Duke, that’s just the base “standard” for a Duke athlete— We’re a private school...... So let your imagination wander a bit with that number lol because it’s substantially higher.

@timo0402 @topps coach
Did a little research, looks like Zion’s total stipend is around $75,000. I couldn’t find any (trustworthy) information on any other players, fair to assume that theirs could be that amount or standard $3,500.

I’m of the mindset that they shouldn’t necessarily get paid a stipend or salary (and believe me I used to be) At the very least, let them earn money from their names. Put it towards their scholarship, let them sign something that allows their image in a video game and they get the proper royalties. That one seems like a no brainer to me.

The story of Zion’s signature being sold for $800 4 hours after the Duke signing day is a little disturbing to me.

Reactions: Duke Blu and dbav
I’m of the mindset that they shouldn’t necessarily get paid a stipend or salary (and believe me I used to be) At the very least, let them earn money from their names. Put it towards their scholarship, let them sign something that allows their image in a video game and they get the proper royalties. That one seems like a no brainer to me.

The story of Zion’s signature being sold for $800 4 hours after the Duke signing day is a little disturbing to me.
I agree that they should profit off their likeness. I think the issue is what happens when we have freshman college students that are suddenly millionaires. I’m not sure what the solution is.

The stipend situation all came about because Shabazz Napier told reporters he went to bed hungry..... Yeah, sure... oooooooook — IMO, it’s great for the average student-athlete, some of those kids really do struggle. Kids that go to big time programs on scholarship don’t go to bed hungry. They’re treated as royalty and fed like kings. They don’t need paid, but I’m not going to argue about a kid getting a couple grand. Then there’s situations like Zion’s where a loophole makes it legal to give him $75,000. That’s BS.

Video game thing already didn’t work. EA and 2K used to have licensing rights for NCAA video games. (I still have 2K7 with JJ on the cover lol) Athletes ending up filing lawsuits because they weren’t being paid, so it all ended. Those companies aren’t going to individually reach out to every single player for permission and then pay them all individually.

The stipend situation all came about because Shabazz Napier told reporters he went to bed hungry..... Yeah, sure... oooooooook — IMO, it’s great for the average student-athlete, some of those kids really do struggle. Kids that go to big time programs on scholarship don’t go to bed hungry. They’re treated as royalty and fed like kings. They don’t need paid, but I’m not going to argue about a kid getting a couple grand. Then there’s situations like Zion’s where a loophole makes it legal to give him $75,000. That’s BS.

Video game thing already didn’t work. EA and 2K used to have licensing rights for NCAA video games. (I still have 2K7 with JJ on the cover lol) Athletes ending up filing lawsuits because they weren’t being paid, so it all ended. Those companies aren’t going to individually reach out to every single player for permission and then pay them all individually.
I believe I had one with Trajon on the cover...2000 maybe. Those were the days.

I would never presume these kids’ situations. Maybe he did go to bed hungry, maybe he didn’t. But the fact that “student-athletes” at the moment legally are the only students at a university who can’t earn money is wrong. And, one federal judge has already ruled against the NCAA regarding that. Again, I don’t think they should get paid, but in their busy time if they can earn money based on their likeness, or if they want to work at 7-Eleven over the weekend like every other student is allowed to, so be it.

As it stands, there is money to be made on social media and as it stands, student athletes are supposed to report those gains based on followers. If you’re a student, you’re a student IMO.

Reactions: dbav
I would never presume these kids’ situations. Maybe he did go to bed hungry, maybe he didn’t. But the fact that “student-athletes” at the moment legally are the only students at a university who can’t earn money is wrong. And, one federal judge has already ruled against the NCAA regarding that. Again, I don’t think they should get paid, but in their busy time if they can earn money based on their likeness, or if they want to work at 7-Eleven over the weekend like every other student is allowed to, so be it.

As it stands, there is money to be made on social media and as it stands, student athletes are supposed to report those gains based on followers. If you’re a student, you’re a student IMO.

I agree with all of this.

If there is a way to do it, I’m all for it. I’m sure someone smarter than us surely can figure it out, however i want to understand how it works so that big time boosters can’t game the system. That’s to me the hurdle that no one seems to have an answer for.

Reactions: dbav and dukehokie

Pretty simple IMO. If a kid is a big time college ball player but also talented enough to write a song good enough to be used by a top level artist, then the kid can’t sell his song? In other words, if private entities outside the school or the NCAA wish to pay a kid due to any talent they have, whether it be related to the sport they play or not, then NOBODY should be able to restrict that. If a sneaker company wants to put Zion in a commercial while in high school or college, they should be allowed to without it interfering with his eligibility. NCAA should stop interjecting itself into these matters. I assure you that any problems that arise from Zion or any other player making a few bucks HONESTLY from entities not associated with the school or the ncaa isn’t going to cause more or worse problems then we are already experiencing.

Reactions: dukehokie

A good portion of athletes are getting their hands on pell grants + stipend or just cost of attendance. The second option is a pretty sweet salary, based on that alone Zion made more money than I did this year. Of course he deserves a bigger pay day than an average guy like myself. The point is I didn’t struggle to put food on the table or afford necessities and I had to pay bills. Pell grants + stipend option is much lower but still around $10K total. If you aren’t paying bills (besides maybe a cell phone) what’s the need for more? So I find it hard to believe that these kids need more money to afford necessity living. In addition to all of this, there’s also a ton of other different ways to score financial aid money. On the other hand, I do feel terrible for struggling families of these athletes but we shouldn’t make the NCAA feel responsible for that.

I don’t want you to think that I completely disagree with you though, because I don’t. I have no problem with athletes making money via their own image, I’m just not sure how the NCAA would go about regulating it.

This creeper is definitely going to the big house. I rarely take joy in the downfall of others, but having followed this guy in the news for the last two years, it will be a pleasure to see him in an orange jumpsuit.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT