ADVERTISEMENT

The “injury” excuse and Duke

kwyjibos13

All American
Nov 24, 2012
I personally think it is asinine anyone brings up injuries as big factors to the outcome of a game or somehow that loss wont count as bad for a tournament resume if by tournament time someone comes back from injury, but why is it a thing for anyone not named Duke?

If Duke wins a big game and someone on the other team is hurt, it is brought up. But no one has brought up the fact Moore and Baker were out for the Clemson game. Last year, injuries were basically never brought up (except Williamson and shoegate) and the fact Duke played much of the season not at full strength (heaven forbid anyone mention we had a double-digit lead vs fsu before Williamson got hurt or Duke was drop kicking Syracuse until tre got hurt).

in 2013, it was Miami’s big guy got hurt for a stretch. But no one said anything about all but one of Duke’s pre-tournament losses were without Ryan Kelly that year...

Injuries are not an excuse. But if you do not think Moore would have made a difference or it would have been mentioned with the roles reversed...

Would have made a huge difference but we weren't exactly left with a bunch of walkons. Still should have won if we are a top 5 team. Sorry just my opinion.

Reactions: PixelDevil
You can look at your subject in many ways. Yes, if you’re a top 5 team, you should win the game, but if you’re a top 5 team who plays bad on a given night, not having two players who were perfect fits to combat those issues killing you make a difference.

I guess I agree. I've seen some act almost as if we played Baylor without Tre and Vernon so the loss is a bit more palatable. Clemson isn't good. And we shouldn't lose to a bad team that's 8-7 just because we're without the likes of Joey and Wendell (no offense to them). But hey, teams have off nights and it happens.

Honestly, I still don't know how good we are. Many here seem to think we're the best team in the nation, but I can't help but wonder if they're looking through blue-tinted glasses (easy to do for anyone when you're a fan). I can't really figure out how good of a barometer Lville is tomorrow since they've really only beaten one ranked team so far this year (they've lost to the other two ranked teams they've played). The ACC is really weird this year.

We should have beat Clemson with 8 healthy guys, heck I think we beat Clemson with 6 guys had Alex and Hurt not played. However, I have no doubt in my mind we would beat them with Wendell. His defensive athleticism is exactly what we needed.

I think opposing fans show no remorse for Duke even when we are short guys is because we are Duke. We got more 5 star players than anyone, and our backups would be standouts at a lot of major conference programs. It is what it is, I actually get why opposing fan bases look at it like this. Did college football fans show remorse for Alabama when Tua went down?

We have had pretty bad injury luck the past decade. IMO the worst of all was the Kyrie injury, that literally might have cost us a perfect season, yeah I said a perfect season. Ryan Kelly, Amile Jefferson, Giles, Zion the list can go on and on and on.
IMO January injuries can bring a team together, possibly teach a team to win in different ways with different guys. As long as we are fully healthy in March, I don't think anyone can complain, and we have been fully healthy in March the past few years for the most part.

Unfortunately, injuries are a reality. When you're name is Duke, UNC, UK, etc., you're going to get little to none in the sympathy department.

Take UNC, for example....they're about to set some kind of record for number of games missed because of injuries. I feel sorry for the kids and hope they get healthy, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm loving this for their fans and the program. UNC losing almost helps balance out some of the bad in this world (only partially kidding :D).

Does having all of our guys makes us a better team? You're damn right it does....but injuries are a part of the game. There's a lot of teams in the country who have had it much, much worse this season than us.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
^^ That's honestly where I am. I don't know how good we are yet.

Metrics say we are, and I was trending that way before the injuries. But once again our team evolution is derailed, to whatever extent, because of injuries.

And it isn't just the player himself. When you're so reliant on young, relatively inexperienced players--particularly first-year guys--interruptions in team chemistry are huge.

Take Moore. Not only is he evolving as a player, but all our guys are learning how to play with him. Tendencies, instincts, etc. All that gets interrupted for ****ing weeks.

It's maddening, frankly.

Me personally, I hate excuses with a passion. Growing up in the wrestling world, where everything is 1v1, we never made any excuses. Even if there were legitimate reasons, we keep them to ourselves. That’s always been my mindset. Last year when we got swept in the regular season by the cheats, I took the heckling from UNC fans without bringing up Zion. Injuries or not, we should have won vs. Clemson. Hate excuses, and you won’t see me making very many.

Injuries are part of a game/season just like executing plays, coaching, referee decisions, and plain luck! In any given year for any given team, any one of these factors may the biggest reason why a team wins a game or a championship! I cant stand the media and certain fans who fail to recognize the importance of all these factors! Since only 1 team wins a national championship, the reasons for failure are going to significantly out weigh the reasons for a ultimate win season! At Duke, with 5 NCs, there has been a lot of winning but there has been way more successful seasons in my view. No team can really control injuries, ref calls and luck! If you are going to dwell on losses due to those factors, it makes for a more miserable life!

This season still has a lot of games to be played. Sometimes injuries that happen early can force role players to step up into bigger minutes and bigger roles and if health returns, opportunities for greater success.

Having Baker and Moore for Clemson would have made a huge difference, there, I said it.
I agree.. But I don’t think it is them individually that we needed.. it’s the fact that this team’s identity is 10 man rotation.. when you take (any) two players away from this team, it changes the whole identity of the team.

Me personally, I hate excuses with a passion. Growing up in the wrestling world, where everything is 1v1, we never made any excuses. Even if there were legitimate reasons, we keep them to ourselves. That’s always been my mindset. Last year when we got swept in the regular season by the cheats, I took the heckling from UNC fans without bringing up Zion. Injuries or not, we should have won vs. Clemson. Hate excuses, and you won’t see me making very many.

You would make a HORRIBLE uk or unc fan!!!

Reactions: QC Dukie
You can look at your subject in many ways. Yes, if you’re a top 5 team, you should win the game, but if you’re a top 5 team who plays bad on a given night, not having two players who were perfect fits to combat those issues killing you make a difference.
Exactly they literally excel at what we were weak at

I agree.. But I don’t think it is them individually that we needed.. it’s the fact that this team’s identity is 10 man rotation.. when you take (any) two players away from this team, it changes the whole identity of the team.

^Okay, this is much the way I see it. In years past subs were mostly brought in only to give a few minutes of rest for a starter, and bam out they went as quickly as possible. This year the strength of the bench is our calling card imo. It gives K so much flexibility as to how this team can match up and play against different styles, and/or defenses. Also, as deep as our team is we really do have some inconsistent performances from many players. AOC, Javin, Joey, and Matt are so inconsistent sometimes that you have to get them out of there...if there is another viable option. So, this team, I believe, needs most of it's pieces to succeed, where as in the past we had 5 or 6 players that could carry the load if they could just get a breather here and there.

Now that said, injuries are not an excuse because that's just part of the game. We'll win or lose with what we have. But no matter how many players we have ready if we're not able to hit free throws better than we have lately, then we're in trouble.

OFC

Not making excuses at all. Shoulda beat'em. Just stating the obvious.The loss doesn't really bother me , next play. We better wear big boy britches, Louisville has had this one marked on the calendar as a revenge game for a LONG time.They haven't forgotten that 23 point comeback at their house, trust me.

Reactions: skysdad
You run what you brung and it should be the same for every team.

I went half a season my Junior year in High School wearing a leg brace for wrestling that made it near impossible to bend my leg then had pneumonia before the State tournament and my conditioning went down hill. Rarely in sports is everyone - and sometimes anyone - a hundred percent.

Not making excuses at all. Shoulda beat'em. Just stating the obvious.The loss doesn't really bother me , next play. We better wear big boy britches, Louisville has had this one marked on the calendar as a revenge game for a LONG time.They haven't forgotten that 23 point comeback at their house, trust me.
Man that game... just amazing to watch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT