ADVERTISEMENT

Sometimes, it's just not your night.

This is so true. It just wasn't our night in any facet of the game. So many shots rimmed out, bounces not going our way, not able to grab rebounds, turnovers, just everything. Lord.

There isn't one statistical category where NCSU wasn't significantly above their season average. They weren't losing tonight, and I'd be shocked if they hit this level of execution again.

This is the worst loss in the Coach K era for a top 10 Duke team losing to an unranked opponent...1979 was the last time we lost by more than 20 in that scenario. Anything that's a worst in the Coach K era is unreal bad.

Only complaint I have is K should've pulled Jones, Carey and Stanley around the 5 minute to get them some rest for the next game. now they are going to have tired legs.

Only complaint I have is K should've pulled Jones, Carey and Stanley around the 5 minute to get them some rest for the next game. now they are going to have tired legs.
I don’t think tired legs will be an issue because we don’t play again until Saturday. If we payed Friday then it might be s concern but they’re used to playing a game every 3 days.

Hats off to State. Came out from the tip and was ready to go at it for 40 mins. Good ole fashion @$$ whippin is what our boys got and hopefully it’ll knock a little urgency into them. Onto the next one!!

Reactions: skysdad
As a wise man once said.....

One of those nights. Had to work, we had inventory at my job. Several nights straight of 12 hour shifts and I was hoping for another win. Alas, it was not to be. However, all is not lost ladies and gents. Guess what? There's still 5 games left in the regular season. We're in second place with a chance to still win the ACC regular season and a shot at a #2 seed in the big dance. I think the loss tonight all but eliminates the possibility of a #1 seed at this juncture. Though that could change as well. We have the best point guard in America. We also happen to have the best coach in America as well. Something tells me this team comes out firing after this humbling defeat. I love this team and our coach. Wouldn't trade a single person on the staff or the team for any other in the country. Don't give up on these fellas just yet. I believe there are still better things on the horizon for this group and us fans.

Not sure what K was doing last night..we only took one timeout the entire game. He seemed intent on letting them wallow in it from the very beginning to the very end last night.

Not sure what K was doing last night..we only took one timeout the entire game. He seemed intent on letting them wallow in it from the very beginning to the very end last night.
Very confusing to say the least. K walked right by Keats during the post game hand shake. The whole game had a weird vibe, hopefully K did not talk about "verve" in the post game because I dont think he had it either.

K addressed this in the press conference. He said earlier in the week he read O'l Roy's new book, "Coaching and Time Outs". He said he figured he should try the logic of taking 3 timeouts home with him. Now he can turn these in for a future Wendy's Carolina Classic combo.

I didn't expect a whipping like we got but knew it would be possible loss. We are a young team still and hopefully this is a growing pain for us which will make us better.

What I hate is we held our ACC regular season championship fate in our hands with the relatively easier part of our ACC schedule ahead of us and let it slip through our fingers.

Reactions: skysdad and tw3301
Good Press conference by Coach. Think he sums it up nicely with this quote - "This happens. It happens to good teams. This time of the year in conferences you're playing against really good teams that need wins. Our team obviously felt tonight they didn't need the win." - Coach K

Reactions: tw3301
I think a lot of us expected a close game and maybe even defeat at PNC. But not a game like that.

K didn't seem too upset during the presser so not sure why he was shitty with Keats.

What is it with state! When that other team from the Triangle shows up wearing those baby blue unis, State goes straight into turtle mode and UNC walks away with double digits wins all the time. Yet if Duke walks onto the Court, State plays like they are defending national champions! Someone please explain this to me??

What is it with state! When that other team from the Triangle shows up wearing those baby blue unis, State goes straight into turtle mode and UNC walks away with double digits wins all the time. Yet if Duke walks onto the Court, State plays like they are defending national champions! Someone please explain this to me??
Matchups. The way State plays, combined with the way we play defense. They kind of play offense out of control, with a lot of attacking the lane. We have too many gaps, struggle to keep guys in front of us, and we are really bad at defending ball screens. Other than that, we were sharp.

That game was pretty comical. They literally did nothing right and didn’t look like themselves at all. Meanwhile State played the game of their lives. It’s truly amazing how when a team plays Duke at home they look like title contenders. It’s just crazy to me how consistently it happens. Plus we have been starting slow almost every game in that winning streak. Hell on the road it looks like we go down double digits early every time. We need to try a different lineup or something to see if that brings early energy

Keep it together.
Yeah when he made that half court shot, I was like nope it’s not our night.

Regressed back to missing FT’s and no offensive flow.

We still have a shot at a 1-seed in the ACCT and we play NC State in Cameron in a few weeks! We need to blow them out of the water!

I'm willing to excuse the performance last night if we never see anything like that ever again. Road games in February can be tough, we all know that.

Remember the 2015 team had to survive in OT against a TERRIBLE (2-16 ACC record) Virginia Tech team in late February. The energy that Duke team played with was very similar to last nights Duke team, NC state is just much much better than the 2015 VT team, hence the blow out.

That was a 1-time thing in 2015, after that game we went right back to dominating teams again. I hope I can say the same for 2020, if VT plays us tight at home on Sat, or if we go down to the wire at Wake, I'll then be very worried.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT