ADVERTISEMENT

Should They Stay Or Should They Go Now?

I'm in total agreement with everything you said outside of the expectations being temper. If our sf and pf can play defense and rebound Duke will be fine. Do we really need Flip shooting a bunch of 3pts? Or do we want Flip to mix it up and play near the basket and shoot the 3pt?

Play Flip with Reeves and Young if you want him at the traditional 4.
Agree. Plus Flip should be a little stronger by next season. If he continues to progress over the summer, he will be a nightmare to guard.

Assuming he stays.

WHAT IF Flip and his people believe his best chance at a long NBA career is at the 5 position. Which is probably the case because 5’s in the NBA now stand out at the 3 point line too.

And he wants to use this upcoming Duke season to showcase his abilities at the 5. Having lively didn’t allow that this year. Just throwing it out there…

Also; next years Draft is looking to be very weak as the upcoming freshman college class is down. That had to at least factor a tiny bit into Proctors decision IMO.
Now you’re just using what ifs.. what if his people believe he should be point guard? What if his people think he should be a player/coach?

You can guess all you want. But the facts are that this year he didn’t play much if any of the 5 position. Another fact is that Duke is very much looking to pick up a vet to play the 5 spot. That tells me that Flip is out 4 man moving forward.

Now you’re just using what ifs.. what if his people believe he should be point guard? What if his people think he should be a player/coach?

You can guess all you want. But the facts are that this year he didn’t play much if any of the 5 position. Another fact is that Duke is very much looking to pick up a vet to play the 5 spot. That tells me that Flip is out 4 man moving forward.
I am aware my post was a what if. But it was a logical what if unlike him wanting to be a PG lol.

I feel that everything I stated could be true. Yes, he aspires to play in the NBA. Yes, he could play the 5 in the NBA (even if he’s a 4 in college) it’s a totally different game. And yes, he would get much stronger with a full summer in the weight room.

I agree that Flip should be our 4 man moving forward. But if his camp expresses that he wants to come back to Duke and play the 5 position more…you gotta say yes right?

Reactions: jamsession3
We didn't struggle because Flip played the 4 or 5. We had struggles because he was not physically prepared for today's college game where you now have 22, 23, 24 years olds playing the 4 and 5 with experience. These players may not have the talent Flip possesses, but they had the body frame to dominate him for 20 minutes.

Reactions: Duke Blu
I am aware my post was a what if. But it was a logical what if unlike him wanting to be a PG lol.

I feel that everything I stated could be true. Yes, he aspires to play in the NBA. Yes, he could play the 5 in the NBA (even if he’s a 4 in college) it’s a totally different game. And yes, he would get much stronger with a full summer in the weight room.

I agree that Flip should be our 4 man moving forward. But if his camp expresses that he wants to come back to Duke and play the 5 position more…you gotta say yes right?
I get what you’re saying. I definitely give the guy more opportunities to play that spot if that’s what he or his camp wants. That’s also even more of an argument for DaRon Holmes. He can play the 5 or, he can be a super athletic big 4 who is like a slasher like player. I think those 2 would complement each other very well.

To me other than Proctor, Flip is the most important recruit for this upcoming year. Of course you try and pitch whatever you can to get him here for year 2.

It's been proven if we have a 5star 19 or 20 year old at the post, we need a 23 or 24 year old to back them up.

I get what you’re saying. I definitely give the guy more opportunities to play that spot if that’s what he or his camp wants. That’s also even more of an argument for DaRon Holmes. He can play the 5 or, he can be a super athletic big 4 who is like a slasher like player. I think those 2 would complement each other very well.

To me other than Proctor, Flip is the most important recruit for this upcoming year. Of course you try and pitch whatever you can to get him here for year 2.
Here's my concern with Holmes and the coaching staff. Know your role at Duke. It's something you tell all recruits, transfers or freshmen, but this is very important going into next year if he's our target.

Last edited:
I think that Flip sees himself as a stretch 4 and that is how the staff views him as well. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons that he spurned UK was because they viewed him as a 5. After thinking about it, I believe that there is enough smoke out there for us to expect Jon to pick up a 5. Finally, I expect that we will have one more player announcement this week and then have to wait until next week to hear more. It seems like Duke has always liked to space these announcements apart.

Here's my concern with Holmes and the coaching staff. No your role at Duke. It's something you tell all recruits, transfers or freshmen, but this is very important going into next year if he's our target.
I would expect that’s what Holmes would do too.

Disclaimer, I work here at the University of Dayton. I’ve been around him a lot and he’s always super polite and soft spoken kid. He works his ass off and everybody around here loves him for it. Even Flyer fans have heard some of the rumors and they all say they would understand it completely and that he deserves a move like that. UD has already lost their next 4 leading scorers to the transfer portal this year. They won’t put much of a product around DaRon next year if he was here or not.

Disclaimer, I work here at the University of Dayton. I’ve been around him a lot and he’s always super polite and soft spoken kid. He works his ass off and everybody around here loves him for it. Even Flyer fans have heard some of the rumors and they all say they would understand it completely and that he deserves a move like that. UD has already lost their next 4 leading scorers to the transfer portal this year. They won’t put much of a product around DaRon next year if he was here or not.
You lost the bulk of the frontcourt and the tall sg/pg. You have a legit 5 coming in that will allow Holmes to play the 4 as a slasher, not as a post up Big. He struggled with his post game last year. I would think the coach is going into that portal and getting old recruits that went elsewhere.

Dayton has a strong fanbase!

Why are so many folks leaving Dayton?

This is just like why Roach probably won’t be back. Proctor is the point guard. Roach is already getting his degree early. If he wants to go any further in his basketball career then he’ll transfer or explore pro options. He’s already undersized as a point guard. He’s definitely undersized for a shooting guard. He won’t have much time at the Point here at Duke going forward.
Roach isn’t interested in being THE point - he wants to score. That’s how he’s been since Paul VI and AAU.

Why are so many folks leaving Dayton?
They had a down year. Were preseason top 25 to start the year but never really lived up to it. They had some injuries but still should’ve beat VCU. There was also rumors that Anthony Grant would retire, but he shot those down quickly.

Reactions: pisgah101
Flip isn’t a 5 in college and won’t be in the NBA. How often did he play the 5 this year? I promise you, if that’s the pitch that Scheyer is giving him, then forget about it anyway because he isn’t coming back. It would be pointless for him to.
Flip isn’t a college 5 true but he is the modern day NBA 5 . He’s not playing the four in the league . He reminds me a lot of Porzingus coming into the league . Rebounding and Offense but defensively ok .

Shut up lol. Don’t tease me. It’s only March!!! Ha.
Flip returns we are certainly top 3 and likely preseason number 1.
Everything seems to point toward him returning but when dealing with kids you never know

I’d love to be wrong but if I was betting I think Flip goes to the draft. No inside info other than the fact he is showing up on just about every draft board as a late first rounder (same as Lively & Whitehead)

Proctor wasn’t & Mitchell wasn’t. Again I would love to be wrong and party all off-season if Flip comes back.

Reactions: christophero
I’d love to be wrong but if I was betting I think Flip goes to the draft. No inside info other than the fact he is showing up on just about every draft board as a late first rounder (same as Lively & Whitehead)

Proctor wasn’t & Mitchell wasn’t. Again I would love to be wrong and party all off-season if Flip comes back.
Good thing you aren't betting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT