ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer staff

Hate if for Duke but happy for Nolan. Hopefully he and Kenny Payne can turn Lvile around.

Reactions: youngman42
Most of y’all said the same for Capel. Duke will be fine .

Who? I didn't. But who is to say it wasn't a loss to the team's success? We didn't win any NCAA titles. And Duke had K as the HC when Capel left. Also had Scheyer on the bench.

If I had a dime for every time I've heard "Duke will be fine" from the fan base after which Duke would be knocked out early in the ACC and NCAA tourneys, I'd be rich. But in all seriousness, what does, "Duke will be fine" even mean? We will keep winning NCAA titles in the next few seasons, go to the FF 3 out of the next 5 years?

I hold out hope Scheyer will get a 20+ year run with Duke. Love him. And we will be competitive given the recruits the next couple of seasons. But I don't think there is any way to predict where Duke will wind up without K. The vast majority of the time a coach who follows an all-time great is unsuccessful. It is going to be a challenge for Jon for sure.

I wouldn’t mind Wojo if he is willing to come back. I thought he did well as a head coach and was a great assistant for Coach K. It helped Capel land another head job.

Reactions: pisgah101
I wouldn’t mind Wojo if he is willing to come back. I thought he did well as a head coach and was a great assistant for Coach K. It helped Capel land another head job.
That's a possibility. Would he concede to Jon though? I mean, I feel like K had the power of veto based off of success and tenure. Would Wojo give Jon that?

That is the main question and truthfully only Wojo could answer that. But he would be such an asset to Jon as he starts out. In my opinion it would be an upgrade from Nolan as far as coaching. Nolan might relate more with the players though.

Think that's the problem we're going to have in getting an experienced assistant. No one wants to be bossed around or play second fiddle by someone who is not only younger than them but also less experienced as well. That goes for coaching or any job in the regular world.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Speaking of assistant coaches, anyone noticed last night the UNC guy drawing up the final play for Hubert? Then take into account Larry Brown's doings on the bench. Makes me realize how critical this spot will be for us

Speaking of assistant coaches, anyone noticed last night the UNC guy drawing up the final play for Hubert? Then take into account Larry Brown's doings on the bench. Makes me realize how critical this spot will be for us
I believe Hubert has ex UNC players that were also head coaches (except for Sean May) on his bench...pretty smart move.

Reactions: Friction.
Jon is in great shape. He’s got 2 message boards to get different viewpoints.

Here at DI, he can get all the criticism he can handle, with a few attaboys sprinkled in. Over here, we call it tough love.

Over at The Brotherhood, he will be showered with encouragement, inspiring words of affirmation, constant praise…

heck, if Jon decides to post there, they’ll ban him if he’s critical.

Jon, the choice is yours. You can’t go wrong.

Jon is in great shape. He’s got 2 message boards to get different viewpoints.

Here at DI, he can get all the criticism he can handle, with a few attaboys sprinkled in. Over here, we call it tough love.

Over at The Brotherhood, he will be showered with encouragement, inspiring words of affirmation, constant praise…

heck, if Jon decides to post there, they’ll ban him if he’s critical.

Jon, the choice is yours. You can’t go wrong.

jons already here.. I can’t tell you who though

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Is this good or meh? Don't know anything about him
Here is his coaching experience...seems like he has the experience.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2008–2016 Stanford (assistant under Johnny Dawkins)
2016–2017 Butler (assistant under Chris Holtmann)
2017–2019 Ohio State (assistant Chris Holtmann)
2019–2022 Elon (head coach)
2022–present Duke (assistant)

Very smart move by Jon.
I don’t know about that . Butler is probably his best reference and although he was with Dawkins when they had Reid and that guard they didn’t do much .
time will tell but I’ll hold my reservation.

Reactions: jnastasi
My understanding is Schrage may not be a traditional assistant coach.

A 83 year old Larry Brown with his baggage does not interest me. He is not a Duke guy. Never was never will be. I'd rather get Hubie Brown who I think is 87 yrs. old. He is still brililant.

What's with this hankering for former players? Give me coaches. Coach K could do it because he was teaching those guys.

Alright...after much soul searching...discussions with my family...many meetings with my spitural advisor...talking to the magic 8 ball...flipping a coin...and a game of rock, paper, scissors...I have a made a decision...I will do it.

So is our staff done? Scheyer, Amile, Carrawell and Schrage. We still need someone as player development right?

A 83 year old Larry Brown with his baggage does not interest me. He is not a Duke guy. Never was never will be. I'd rather get Hubie Brown who I think is 87 yrs. old. He is still brililant.
Not traditional in what sense

Of course. No way Larry Brown is the choice. He hates Duke. Hubie Brown would be a great consultant. Former Duke assistant 56 years ago. They are both brilliant

I've talked to Schrage several times over the years. I would say Hard Pass. He was unpleasant and had no success at Elon

I like Hubie Brown but he's like 100. How on earth is he going to relate to 18 year olds? And he has such a great job.

I follow some NBA guys and supposedly there's rumor that the Utah Jazz are making changes once their season ends in the playoffs. Don't think Quinn would want to be an assistant though.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT