ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer staff

I would be shocked if this is true. That would be a lateral move, and likely not a raise at all. He may like Louisville since his dad went there, but he doesn't like them more than Duke. Can't see anyway he would leave for that opportunity, plus he and Scheyer are like brothers.
Only way Nolan goes to Louisville is as head coach ! If he turned down Memphis for assistant head coach he ain’t going to Louisville. He’s a main supporter of Scheyer.

I would be shocked if this is true. That would be a lateral move, and likely not a raise at all. He may like Louisville since his dad went there, but he doesn't like them more than Duke. Can't see anyway he would leave for that opportunity, plus he and Scheyer are like brothers.

Good read! Way more than just his dad going there!

Nolan to the Ville!!! Gon head and prepare yourselves
So he leaves Duke as an assistant coach, passes on Memphis last season all to go to Louisville as an assistant?
I get it his dad went there
Nolan however, committed to Duke over Louisville, spent four years at Duke , graduated , went to the league and returned to Duke as a player development coach then assistant now assistant coach . Not to mention won a Championship with Scheyer .
so all I’m really missing is his dad went to Louisville. If he goes best of luck .
So y’all knew who the Assistant coach would be prior to hiring Payne ? Don’t the head coach get to pick his staff?

Reactions: DBM0828
So he leaves Duke as an assistant coach, passes on Memphis last season all to go to Louisville as an assistant?
I get it his dad went there
Nolan however, committed to Duke over Louisville, spent four years at Duke , graduated , went to the league and returned to Duke as a player development coach then assistant now assistant coach . Not to mention won a Championship with Scheyer .
so all I’m really missing is his dad went to Louisville. If he goes best of luck .

1. He was born and raised in Louisville, his dads body rests here.

2. Memphis and Louisville are not the same caliber of programs, not even close.

3. Kenny Payne and Milt Wagner are like family to Nolan.

There’s not doubt Scheyer will be left with a quality staff, but I expect Nolan to be in Louisville with Kenny next season.

You're right, Memphis has been better than Louisville the past few seasons.

Yes, the last two years, quite obvious, which is the reason we fired our coach in January, have you been paying attention? Not the dig you thought it was going to be.

Louisville has 43 tournament appearances, 10 final fours, and 3 nattys.

Memphis has 27 tournament appearances, 3 final fours, and 0 nattys.

Saying “he didn’t go to Memphis, he won’t go to Louisville” is uneducated. Nolan will be on Louisville’s staff next year.

1. He was born and raised in Louisville, his dads body rests here.

2. Memphis and Louisville are not the same caliber of programs, not even close.

3. Kenny Payne and Milt Wagner are like family to Nolan.

There’s not doubt Scheyer will be left with a quality staff, but I expect Nolan to be in Louisville with Kenny next season.
Good then he can go ahead and announce it!.Y’all need recruits for next season anyway.
Gives time for Scheyer to look for a replacement.

Reactions: CardsRuleTheWorld
Get, you believe he’s gone? You keep agreeing I mean if he leaves he’ll be third coach from head where at Duke he’s Scheyers right hand man .

Nolan is a great guy. He has earned the right to do whatever he wants.
Just saying everything the card fan mention is in the article posted on here just saying .
it’s only one or two years max before Nolan is a head coach .

Reactions: christophero
Get, you believe he’s gone? You keep agreeing I mean if he leaves he’ll be third coach from head where at Duke he’s Scheyers right hand man .

I’d assume he’ll be coming for the top assistant position, but that remains to be seen, gonna be an exciting few weeks as the staff fills out.

Coach K is arguably the best college coach ever, I’m interested to see how Scheyer follows that up

I’m good with it either way.
My friend and I sat on the front row in the Boston Garden in 1991 for the Celtics playoff game against indiana. Every time Derek Smith was in the game, my friend had the entire front row shout SECRET WEAPON. Derek Smith talked to us after the game and said that it was hard to keep a straight face..

Anyway, Nolan Smith has lots of great options. With the change at the top, it's a good time to shake up the entire staff

If Nolan wants to go let him go. He has to do what he thinks is best for him. I just want Scheyer to bring someone in that is older with tons of NBA experience. Think kids would respect that more

I’d be shocked if Nolan left Duke for what is essentially a lateral move to Louisville. Louisville fans around here a confident he is coming. Apparently Kenny Payne was like a father figure to Nolan. Nolan’s last 15 years have been at Duke & he and Scheyer are best friends so I just don’t see it happening but you never know.

FWIW this is how the Nolan to Louisville rumor has gotten traction, listen between 13-27 minute mark. He makes mention of Nolan being a lock to Louisville then at the 26 minute mark he says “well I’m not going to say Nolan is a lock.”

I can't say anything for sure because I'm not an insider in Louisville but I can tell you all what the "insiders" are telling us. The vibe in the city and within the fanbase and those "in the know" - those same people that have been telling us for weeks that Kenny was our next coach and not to believe all the drama - is that its all been arranged and its just a matter of when Nolan joins Kenny's staff, not "if." Insiders on the board are speculating on Kenny's staff are speculating as if there are only two staff positions left to fill - I'll say that.

I don't know if Nolan Smith is coming to Louisville but the insiders on our board sure seem to think its a done deal.

I can't say anything for sure because I'm not an insider in Louisville but I can tell you all what the "insiders" are telling us. The vibe in the city and within the fanbase and those "in the know" - those same people that have been telling us for weeks that Kenny was our next coach and not to believe all the drama - is that its all been arranged and its just a matter of when Nolan joins Kenny's staff, not "if." Insiders on the board are speculating on Kenny's staff are speculating as if there are only two staff positions left to fill - I'll say that.

I don't know if Nolan Smith is coming to Louisville but the insiders on our board sure seem to think its a done deal.
Well if he does you guys are getting a good and upcoming coach . I can’t lie he will be missed as I’m a die hard Nolan fan but don’t think he can go wrong either way .

Reactions: KDSTONE
Well if he does you guys are getting a good and upcoming coach . I can’t lie he will be missed as I’m a die hard Nolan fan but don’t think he can go wrong either way .
Nolan's a rising star. I don't think he'll be a head coach as quickly as some on this board seem to think but he's clearly on a great path. The fan base is almost as excited at the idea to bring Nolan "back home" as they are Kenny.

From what the insiders are telling us Kenny has a list of assistants he's going to target and honestly its a great list and I would be over the moon with any 3 of them even if it doesn't include Nolan. But the idea of "reuniting" Nolan and Louisville/Kenny Payne certainly hits different and adds a great angle that you never see in situations like this.

Either way its nice as a Louisville fan to be excited for basketball again. The ACC needs Louisville to be great and I think Kenny will do that.

Yeah the only team to have a winning record against coach K sucks, ok bud

When y’all have a winning record against us you can say that, until then just hand over your coach

While I would never say that Louisville sucks. If they can get the right coach, they can turn things around.

That said, Coach K is 8-9 against them, not sure you can do that much trash talking to us.

But, good luck moving forward. I definitely hope Payne can get some of those Calipari recruits to flip.

Reactions: CardsRuleTheWorld
What? I said Memphis was better than Louisville the last 2 years, which they are. Run along Sparky and enjoy the NIT if you even made that. Have some respect or just stick to your own board. Your other poster was at least cool about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheyduke
What? I said Memphis was better than Louisville the last 2 years, which they are. Run along Sparky and enjoy the NIT if you even made that. Have some respect or just stick to your own board. Your other poster was at least cool about it.
I wonder what happens if Nolan stays at Duke. I really have a hard time seeing him leaving when he’s number two next to Scheyer but hey Louisville is his home .

Reactions: christophero
LOL!! You cared enough to respond to his post, and then when you were in fact proven wrong… you want to no longer care. Take your ball and run on home little girl. 😂😂
Your team didn’t make the tournament, they fired their coach midseason when the team quit on him, and you’re over here blowing up an opposing teams board who’s focused on the tournament because you might take one of our Assistant coaches? You’re the definition of sad.

Your team didn’t make the tournament, they fired their coach midseason when the team quit on him, and you’re over here blowing up an opposing teams board who’s focused on the tournament because you might take one of our Assistant coaches? You’re the definition of sad.
I didn’t want to say it Timo. I didn’t want to do it !!!

Reactions: timo0402
Nolan's a rising star. I don't think he'll be a head coach as quickly as some on this board seem to think but he's clearly on a great path. The fan base is almost as excited at the idea to bring Nolan "back home" as they are Kenny.

From what the insiders are telling us Kenny has a list of assistants he's going to target and honestly its a great list and I would be over the moon with any 3 of them even if it doesn't include Nolan. But the idea of "reuniting" Nolan and Louisville/Kenny Payne certainly hits different and adds a great angle that you never see in situations like this.

Either way its nice as a Louisville fan to be excited for basketball again. The ACC needs Louisville to be great and I think Kenny will do that.
I’d like Louisville to be good again too but we got along just fine without y’all for decades while y’all were tooling around in the Metro. Good post though. You know you’re in for a little needling when you come over here. I haven’t gotten over 86 yet but my therapist assured me any day now

Reactions: Mac9192
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT