ADVERTISEMENT

Scheyer staff

I'm glad he's gone. We can move on and hopefully find someone with more experience and NBA experience. I love Nolan for what he gave us as a player but he's barely been in the coaching ranks. Not trying to be an ass but am I missing something? Was he a top recruiter for us or was that mostly Scheyer and K doing that?
Agreed. I love Nolan as a player and being on the staff, but he can be replaced. The only thing I can think of is that Nolan can be that coach to talk with kids about their struggles at Duke, how he overcame them which could help kids on the roster. But other than that, we can hire another coach and keep moving forward.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
I'm fine with Nolan leaving if that is what he wants. We need experience to help Jon. On a side note I listened to a interview with Alaa Albadnoby (sp) former player and NBA broadcaster. He sounded very impressive and could be big man coach. Lol

Agreed. I love Nolan as a player and being on the staff, but he can be replaced. The only thing I can think of is that Nolan can be that coach to talk with kids about their struggles at Duke, how he overcame them which could help kids on the roster. But other than that, we can hire another coach and keep moving forward.
And Jon brings that just as good or better

How will he be received by Duke when he comes back is the big question? Going to a team in ACC and having to play against the team he played for and coached? I’m sure he helped recruit or had a relationship with the kids coming in the next two classes. I could understand if it was for a head coaching opportunity like Capel did but not for an assistant. I have a hard time understanding this move especially since he played with Jon and seemed to have a great relationship with him.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
You have to be very careful on how you frame the narrative about an assistant coach. Do they recruit at a high level? Know the x/o of the game? Keep the players engaged? Communicate well with parents? See something the coach does not see?

You must be cautious, because it will show itself when they leave.

Thank you Nolan for everything. His smile is contagious. Time for Duke to move on and bring in an outsider with a different kind of experience.

There has to be an older former head coach who isn't looking for a top job anymore.

Thank you Nolan for everything. His smile is contagious. Time for Duke to move on and bring in an outsider with a different kind of experience.

There has to be an older former head coach who isn't looking for a top job anymore.

this!!!!!!!!!

Good opportunity for Nolan. Could be a blessing in disguise; Jon can now bring in the experienced assistant I've been wanting. Next year is a big task for Jon; when we lose 2-3 straight ACC games it would be nice to have a veteran presence. I'm sorry but the way Nolan and Carrawell handled the Davis handshake line did not impress me.
Eff Davis. I say snub every damn one of them

Congrats to him. I think Nolan's main responsibility was scouting the other team with a little bit of recruiting? I'd like to think Amile can slide into this role and be fine. Scouting doesn't seem overly complicated anymore. Just go to a Duke forum lol.

I know Henderson and Jon were very close. No idea if he'd be out there as a candidate for the special assistant role if Amile moves up. No clue but always wondered if he'd get into coaching.

Really interested to see who Jon can bring in to replace his spot.

Saw a post that Amile will be promoted to assistant coach and we also looking at Mike Schrage who is currently head coach at Elon and was our director of basketball operations back in 2002-2008.

Nothing confirmed

Reactions: KDSTONE
The Elon guy would be great. We need experience on the bench. Would he take that job though? From a head coach to an assistant?

Saw a post that Amile will be promoted to assistant coach and we also looking at Mike Schrage who is currently head coach at Elon and was our director of basketball operations back in 2002-2008.

Nothing confirmed
Yeah the Amile move makes sense and seems expected. As much as I like to keep it positive, I wouldn't be thrilled with the Schrage hire based on the results at Stanford, Butler, and Elon but obviously I don't know how his role would be established and his real strengths.

I’m serious bro. Those assholes are obsessed with Duke. They committed academic scandals for decades and laughed when the NCAA did nothing. They didn’t even have the class to take a moment to honor K. So a couple of our coaches snubbed them? Good
You make some good points. I don’t like Hubert’s body language when he greeted Coach pre post game But in fairness Coach K let the Nose know he wasn’t going to kiss his arse. But you can be respectful without having stars in your eyes

You make some good points. I don’t like Hubert’s body language when he greeted Coach pre post game But in fairness Coach K let the Nose know he wasn’t going to kiss his arse. But you can be respectful without having stars in your eyes
They’re players are pricks to boot

Duke assistant’s that became head coaches didn’t need to move every five years though?
No they did not. You are correct. I was generalizing. Roy Williams was at UNC only before getting the Kansas job. Hubert only at UNC. Usually assistants move every few years

i'm kinda bummed- i really liked nolan. I don't really understand his motivation to leave at this juncture unless it just seems right with K bouncing

Reactions: youngman42
You have to be very careful on how you frame the narrative about an assistant coach. Do they recruit at a high level? Know the x/o of the game? Keep the players engaged? Communicate well with parents? See something the coach does not see?

You must be cautious, because it will show itself when they leave.
Nolan has always been a beast of a recruiter under K especially as K began to be less involved in the day to day recruiting of players. Be interesting to see how this plays out. We know Scheyer is a great recruiter but he’s going to have his hands full learning to run all aspects of a program the size of Duke. Guys like Carrawell and Amile have never been known as big time recruiters.

Also, Payne and Nolan will be a deadly duo on the recruiting trail for Louisville.

Reactions: jamsession3
Love Nolan Smith. So good for the program.

Sucks that he is leaving and that we could not keep him. Really hurts the program, imo.

Hate that. Apparently big money. Surely we had the money to keep him? Maybe he just wanted to go to L’ville. But it’s still not good to lose a coach and recruiter like that.

Love Nolan Smith. So good for the program.

Sucks that he is leaving and that we could not keep him. Really hurts the program, imo.

Hate that. Apparently big money. Surely we had the money to keep him? Maybe he just wanted to go to L’ville. But it’s still not good to lose a coach and recruiter like that.
IL went through the same thing when Cal and UK offered assistants 7 figures. Chin Coleman and Orlando are making big money 💵💰 to recruit and do what Cal can't.

Reactions: youngman42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT