ADVERTISEMENT

Ready for the Champions Classic!

Dec 7, 2015
I come in peace! I have nothing but respect for Duke and Coach K. I am very excited that this is the season we will face off.

Since the 1998 regional final, we have only faced you guys in 1998-99, 2001-02, 2012-13, and 2015-16 regular seasons. We haven't really gotten to play each other when we both have championship level teams.

We blew out chance to have Final 4/Title match-ups in 2010 and 2015 and those match-ups above were early season contests in years that Kentucky wasn't that good of a team. I think this year will be a big time match-up and it can get us ready for a possible title game rematch next April.

You guys have a special/high-level group of players coming in that will have rockstar level hype. We are gonna bring in a deep team of talent with some experience for a change. Two very talented teams that will be the talk of college next season. The Coach K vs. Calipari contrasts in style just make it a highly marketable event.

The fact that we do not play that often makes every UK vs. Duke game have a little extra hype to it. That tip-off in Indy will be a big event for the sport next Fall.

I don't know if I like the fact that it is the very first game now. I know why they did it, to get some much needed season-opening hype for college basketball during the throws of football season. But I think it would be better basketball if both teams had a game or two prior to work out some kinks. Especially Duke, with a completely new starting five.

Either way, it will be a terrific game and atmosphere.

Hoptown cat, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you must be from Hopkinsville lol. Lived in Clarksville for about 8 years and once worked at Pepsi America's there in Hopkinsville.

Reactions: HoptownCat93
I come in peace! I have nothing but respect for Duke and Coach K. I am very excited that this is the season we will face off.

Since the 1998 regional final, we have only faced you guys in 1998-99, 2001-02, 2012-13, and 2015-16 regular seasons. We haven't really gotten to play each other when we both have championship level teams.

We blew out chance to have Final 4/Title match-ups in 2010 and 2015 and those match-ups above were early season contests in years that Kentucky wasn't that good of a team. I think this year will be a big time match-up and it can get us ready for a possible title game rematch next April.

You guys have a special/high-level group of players coming in that will have rockstar level hype. We are gonna bring in a deep team of talent with some experience for a change. Two very talented teams that will be the talk of college next season. The Coach K vs. Calipari contrasts in style just make it a highly marketable event.

The fact that we do not play that often makes every UK vs. Duke game have a little extra hype to it. That tip-off in Indy will be a big event for the sport next Fall.

I am excited for it to. I am planning on going. Already have a hotel booked. I do wish we played closer to the end of the season when both teams are pretty close to what they are going to be come tourney time. As of now, who does UK expect to have returning?

I am excited for it to. I am planning on going. Already have a hotel booked. I do wish we played closer to the end of the season when both teams are pretty close to what they are going to be come tourney time. As of now, who does UK expect to have returning?
Same here, booked my hotel as well. Nice easy drive from Cincinnati.

Same here, booked my hotel as well. Nice easy drive from Cincinnati.

It would be cool to get a thread going when the time is closer to see who all from the board is going, and maybe plan on meeting up somewhere for lunch or something before the game, or maybe celebratory beers after!!

Reactions: jwill133
I don’t really look forward to this event anymore, outside the MSU game. I don’t think we win this one. Kentucky’s gonna have a really good recruiting class, plus that Sachs killeya Jones kid is gonna be really good. I think he’ll be the best junior in this match. Would love to be wrong, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I don’t really look forward to this event anymore, outside the MSU game. I don’t think we win this one. Kentucky’s gonna have a really good recruiting class, plus that Sachs killeya Jones kid is gonna be really good. I think he’ll be the best junior in this match. Would love to be wrong, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

I think it depends a lot of who all leaves Ky this year. I haven't looked to see who all they are losing, but I assume at least Knox, Alexander and Diallo are gone? If so. I really like our chances. Even if all those come back, I still think we can win it. I think we will be more athletic than them and better coached. I would prefer though that this game was played toward the end of the year when both teams are what they are going to be.

Hoptown cat, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you must be from Hopkinsville lol. Lived in Clarksville for about 8 years and once worked at Pepsi America's there in Hopkinsville.
Small world we live in huh? haha Yes, good old Hopkinsville is where I am located.

Right now the roster is:
For-sure Gone: Kevin Knox, Shai Alexander will announce he's gone tonight, Sacha Jones
More than likely gone: Diallo
50/50: Vanderbilt, Gabriel
Probably back: Quade Green, PJ Washington, Jermarl Baker, Nick Richards
Coming in: Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery, Ashton Hagans(99.9% sure)

Maybe?: James Wiseman could relassify...not likely but possible

I see it shaking out as Vanderbilt coming back and Gabriel probably going pro...but you never know. Gabriel coming back could really give us a versatile bench player that can do many things.

5-Vanderbilt
4-Washington
3-Johnson
2-Green/Herro/Quickley
1-Hagans

Bench
Guards: 2 of Green/Herro/Quickley and Jermarl Baker
Forwards: Montgomery, Richards

A big advantage we will have is that we will get to go play on our foreign trip before the seaso...getting like 4-6 games in August to get the guys adjusted.

Strengths:

Point guard play- With 3 really good point guards, ball handling and actually running an offense will be pretty good. While the 2 freshman will have an adjustment for sure, having a 2nd year guy like Green will be a big plus and he is a pure-point guard that can be a leader...push guys in practice..etc. I'll add in that Jarred Vanderbilt can pass the ball like a point guard

3-point shooting- Herro and Baker are 2 pure shooters from the outside. I think they can just be guys that can bust a zone and open driving lanes. Green is a great shooter as well and Quickley tied for 1st in the McDonalds 3-point contest. We did not have this last year and in todays game you need a lot of shooters

Rebounding: Jarred Vanderbilt is the best rebound-er Ive ever seen play at Kentucky. PJ Washington with a summer of strength and conditioning could become an animal in the paint.

length/athleticism/defense: We were awful at defending man-to-man last year..but had a historically good 3-point defense because of length. I think adding Johnson along with the other guys getting a year experience will make it an elite defensive team. I see Keldon Johnson being a lockdown defender.

Depth: 10-11 really good players that can all play big minutes if needed.

Question marks:

Rim protection- Vanderbilt could be that guy? But he needs more time to show it. Richards has the potential, but needs to get tougher. Gabriel coming back makes this a lot better. You guys having elite driving players...we need to be able to stop your guards at the rim.

Interior depth- If Gabriel leaves...this could be a huge issue. A team like Duke with quick guards/wings could draw some fouls.

Experience: If Gabriel leaves, no Juniors or Seniors. Though we will have guys who have played big minutes before, still very young.

I see us having a very deep roster with no true star. If the ball movement becomes elite with out 3 great point guards...and they can find our good shooters...def can be a top 3 team all season.

Would love to see Gabriel back for one more round. He has 2 years of big minutes...plays very hard...can shoot the 3 at a high clip....can block shots. I think effort and clutch shooting from a Junior who was a 5-star is what you need to win a title...he's a key piece.

Small world we live in huh? haha Yes, good old Hopkinsville is where I am located.

Right now the roster is:
For-sure Gone: Kevin Knox, Shai Alexander will announce he's gone tonight, Sacha Jones
More than likely gone: Diallo
50/50: Vanderbilt, Gabriel
Probably back: Quade Green, PJ Washington, Jermarl Baker, Nick Richards
Coming in: Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro, Immanuel Quickley, EJ Montgomery, Ashton Hagans(99.9% sure)

Maybe?: James Wiseman could relassify...not likely but possible

I see it shaking out as Vanderbilt coming back and Gabriel probably going pro...but you never know. Gabriel coming back could really give us a versatile bench player that can do many things.

5-Vanderbilt
4-Washington
3-Johnson
2-Green/Herro/Quickley
1-Hagans

Bench
Guards: 2 of Green/Herro/Quickley and Jermarl Baker
Forwards: Montgomery, Richards

A big advantage we will have is that we will get to go play on our foreign trip before the seaso...getting like 4-6 games in August to get the guys adjusted.

Strengths:

Point guard play- With 3 really good point guards, ball handling and actually running an offense will be pretty good. While the 2 freshman will have an adjustment for sure, having a 2nd year guy like Green will be a big plus and he is a pure-point guard that can be a leader...push guys in practice..etc. I'll add in that Jarred Vanderbilt can pass the ball like a point guard

3-point shooting- Herro and Baker are 2 pure shooters from the outside. I think they can just be guys that can bust a zone and open driving lanes. Green is a great shooter as well and Quickley tied for 1st in the McDonalds 3-point contest. We did not have this last year and in todays game you need a lot of shooters

Rebounding: Jarred Vanderbilt is the best rebound-er Ive ever seen play at Kentucky. PJ Washington with a summer of strength and conditioning could become an animal in the paint.

length/athleticism/defense: We were awful at defending man-to-man last year..but had a historically good 3-point defense because of length. I think adding Johnson along with the other guys getting a year experience will make it an elite defensive team. I see Keldon Johnson being a lockdown defender.

Depth: 10-11 really good players that can all play big minutes if needed.

Question marks:

Rim protection- Vanderbilt could be that guy? But he needs more time to show it. Richards has the potential, but needs to get tougher. Gabriel coming back makes this a lot better. You guys having elite driving players...we need to be able to stop your guards at the rim.

Interior depth- If Gabriel leaves...this could be a huge issue. A team like Duke with quick guards/wings could draw some fouls.

Experience: If Gabriel leaves, no Juniors or Seniors. Though we will have guys who have played big minutes before, still very young.

I see us having a very deep roster with no true star. If the ball movement becomes elite with out 3 great point guards...and they can find our good shooters...def can be a top 3 team all season.

Would love to see Gabriel back for one more round. He has 2 years of big minutes...plays very hard...can shoot the 3 at a high clip....can block shots. I think effort and clutch shooting from a Junior who was a 5-star is what you need to win a title...he's a key piece.

Duke should be able to go on their foreign trip this year since it was cancelled last year

Duke should be able to go on their foreign trip this year since it was cancelled last year

I was wondering the other day if that is something they would consider, with all the new faces. If it is a possibility, I sure hope they do it.

I was wondering the other day if that is something they would consider, with all the new faces. If it is a possibility, I sure hope they do it.
I remember the year after John Wall and Cousins left, we had a really young team with Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones that took the trip to Canada. It really helped establish roles and got them probably running the smoothest offense I've seen under Calipari by the end of the season...leading to a Final 4.

That trip can be so beneficial for a young squad, and also fun for the fans to plan the trip to see them play.

I remember the year after John Wall and Cousins left, we had a really young team with Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones that took the trip to Canada. It really helped establish roles and got them probably running the smoothest offense I've seen under Calipari by the end of the season...leading to a Final 4.

That trip can be so beneficial for a young squad, and also fun for the fans to plan the trip to see them play.

Diallo and somebody else has to leave. I can't see more than 10 guys on the roster. Green may transfer he will not get a chance at pg next year and if he wants to make it to the nba in needs to run the point efficiently in college. Gabriel is 21 already. Jarred comes back risk injury which he's prone.

Hagans isn’t reclassifying. His AAU coach it’s not happening at all

Hagans isn’t reclassifying. His AAU coach it’s not happening at all
He committed this morning. I'm betting he reclassifies when he gets his schoolwork completed.

If the right people return, its really looking like the UK vs. Duke superclash for the title we've both been waiting to have for 25+ years could happen.

I assume your lineup will be
5-Bolden
4-Williamson
3-Reddish
2-Barrett
1-Jones

Would O'Connell and Goldwire be your two guards as backups?
DeLaurier and White as your forwards?

Do you all see anymore recruits/grad-transfers coming in...particularly guards?

No

Tre
RJ
Cam
Zion
Bolden

Aoc
Javin
Vrank/white

We can't offer starter mins to a 22/23 year old grad tranfer who probably wants to start.

He committed this morning. I'm betting he reclassifies when he gets his schoolwork completed.

If the right people return, its really looking like the UK vs. Duke superclash for the title we've both been waiting to have for 25+ years could happen.

I don't think either of these teams will be as good as the 2015 teams, personally. Still a lot of moving pieces with Kentucky, so who knows. If Hagans, Washington, and Vanderbilt are all on the 2019 roster, then I'd be a little more of a believer... But with Duke, I've been saying this for a while now, but none of the 4 freshmen coming in are elite shooters. I seriously don't know how we can win a title if we don't have at least 2 guys shooting reasonably close to 40% from 3. Teams will clog up the lane and severely limit our spacing if we can't hit outside jumpers. I think Cam has a decent looking stroke. Certainly O'Connell, if he plays enough, can be a difference maker. But we're going to need another guy to develop a consistent jumper.

I really think Kansas-Villanova are going to be 1-2 to start the season. Kansas frontcourt is already super ridiculous with the Lawson twins and Doke (De Souda, McCormack, and Lightfoot off the bench). Charlie Moore, transfer from Cal, will be battling it out with Dotson and Grimes for the starting backcourt spots... I think Nova will still be really efficient and effective with a potential lineup of Quinerly, Booth, DiVincenzo, Paschall, and Spellman. It's possible DiVincenzo and Spellman could also bolt for the NBA. If that happens, it will be a re-building year.

I also like Tennessee, Gonzaga, and Nevada. Tennessee has just about everyone back. Gonzaga has serious talent coming back (Tillie, Hachimura, Norvel, Perkins) along with impact transfer Brandon Clarke, who I think might be better than Johnathan Williams. Also Nevada could potentially have their big 3 comeback + they're bringing in 4 eligible transfers that were all double-digit scorers in 2017. So... my early, early top 25 looks like this:

1. Villanova
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky (with Hagans, Washington, Vanderbilt)
4. Gonzaga
5. Tennessee
6. Nevada
7. Duke
8. Virginia
9. Kansas State
10. North Carolina
11. West Virginia
12. Florida State
13. LSU
14. Michigan State
15. Oregon
16. Auburn
17. Texas Tech
18. Virginia Tech
19. UCLA
20. Mississippi State
21. Clemson
22. Michigan
23. Loyola Chicago
24. Florida
25. Creighton

Last edited:

I assume your lineup will be
5-Bolden
4-Williamson
3-Reddish
2-Barrett
1-Jones

Would O'Connell and Goldwire be your two guards as backups?
DeLaurier and White as your forwards?

Do you all see anymore recruits/grad-transfers coming in...particularly guards?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-to-kentucky-after-decommitting-from-georgia

"Teams had time to make pitches to the 6'4", 185-pound Hagans, as Game Elite 2019 coach Chris Williams made it clear the high school junior would not reclassify."

Pretty sure hagans will reclass he turns 19 in July, given his birthday he could have been class of 2017

I don't think either of these teams will be as good as the 2015 teams, personally. Still a lot of moving pieces with Kentucky, so who knows. If Hagans, Washington, and Vanderbilt are all on the 2019 roster, then I'd be a little more of a believer... But with Duke, I've been saying this for a while now, but none of the 4 freshmen coming in are elite shooters. I seriously don't know how we can win a title if we don't have at least 2 guys shooting reasonably close to 40% from 3. Teams will clog up the lane and severely limit our spacing if we can't hit outside jumpers. I think Cam has a decent looking stroke. Certainly O'Connell, if he plays enough, can be a difference maker. But we're going to need another guy to develop a consistent jumper.

I really think Kansas-Villanova are going to be 1-2 to start the season. Kansas frontcourt is already super ridiculous with the Lawson twins and Doke (De Souda, McCormack, and Lightfoot off the bench). Charlie Moore, transfer from Cal, will be battling it out with Dotson and Grimes for the starting backcourt spots... I think Nova will still be really efficient and effective with a potential lineup of Quinerly, Booth, DiVincenzo, Paschall, and Spellman. It's possible DiVincenzo and Spellman could also bolt for the NBA. If that happens, it will be a re-building year.

I also like Tennessee, Gonzaga, and Nevada. Tennessee has just about everyone back. Gonzaga has serious talent coming back (Tillie, Hachimura, Norvel, Perkins) along with impact transfer Brandon Clarke, who I think might be better than Johnathan Williams. Also Nevada could potentially have their big 3 comeback + they're bringing in 4 eligible transfers that were all double-digit scorers in 2017. So... my early, early top 25 looks like this:

1. Villanova
2. Kansas
3. Kentucky (with Hagans, Washington, Vanderbilt)
4. Gonzaga
5. Tennessee
6. Nevada
7. Duke
8. Virginia
9. Kansas State
10. North Carolina
11. West Virginia
12. Florida State
13. LSU
14. Michigan State
15. Oregon
16. Auburn
17. Texas Tech
18. Virginia Tech
19. UCLA
20. Mississippi State
21. Clemson
22. Michigan
23. Loyola Chicago
24. Florida
25. Creighton

You never know how these guys will shoot next year. Kennard and Matt Jones were known as shooters coming in. Their freshmen year they didn't shoot well at all. Kennard shot 32% and Matt shot 14%. So, you can't really say how someone will shoot

You never know how these guys will shoot next year. Kennard and Matt Jones were known as shooters coming in. Their freshmen year they didn't shoot well at all. Kennard shot 32% and Matt shot 14%. So, you can't really say how someone will shoot

This is true. One thing that we have going for us is that we have play-makers. Our guys can pass - and they can exploit 1-on-1 matchups. One thing is certain in my mind, we don't ever need to force a 3-pointer. Teams will constantly be helping to neutralize the penetration/slashing. The 3-point shot is going to be open any time we want it. So hopefully having open looks from the perimeter will result in fairly respectable percentages.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-to-kentucky-after-decommitting-from-georgia

"Teams had time to make pitches to the 6'4", 185-pound Hagans, as Game Elite 2019 coach Chris Williams made it clear the high school junior would not reclassify."
He's just saying that now because he hasn't completed the proper coursework to be able to classify. He officially reclassifies in July is what is most likely.

Because he won't be able to come in early and practice, he's still gonna play AAU this summer to keep himself in shape and in game form. He will probably join UK before the Bahamas trip.

I'm just not buying Kansas being the team to beat this year. They lost a Senior All-American guard in Graham, an elite talent junior in Newman, Svi was a great Senior shooter, and also a junior in Vick is now gone. I don't see them being too much better losing 4 upperclassman guards. They'll be good, but I don't see them being particularly better than they were this season.

Nova I do buy. Very talented with a big core returning that has championship experience. They will run through the Big East, giving them momentum and a high seed going into March.

Expecting to return:
Quade Green
PJ Washington
Jarred Vanderbilt
Wenyen Gabriel
Nick Richards
Jemarl Baker

Like I said given hagans birthday he could have been class of 2017. There's no doubt he's doing everything possible to reclass. No way 5 bigs return to uk.

Other than our 4 freshmen, we have no one else. Bolden and Ocon both need to prove they’re ready. I think first game of the season we could get our ass handed to us.

I’d be shocked if Duke wins this one or doesn’t lose by 10. I don’t think fans realize just how much adjusting freshmen have to make, even very good freshmen. It’s easier when you have at least one vet that is very good like duke had last season with Grayson. The main thing is usually defense and knowing how hard you have to play when you get to the college level.

UK fans can tell you about the adjustment from this past season with relying on nothing but freshmen and a soph. It usually starts to click later in the year but early is when the lumps come and every team that have relied on a bunch of freshmen (UK twice) with no impact returners has stumbled early in the year.

Some Duke fans will be extremely frustrated and start hating the OAD thing and wanting upperclassmen and a change in recruiting. Some will curse out K for coaching, Zion and Cam for defense, Jones for defense and leadership etc. But the key will be patience since Cal has shown eventually you can get the talent to buy in and connect. Zone will likely be the main defense K plays this upcoming season since this new group is even less known for defense and doesn’t have close to the combination of length, size, athletic ability as Bagley, Carter.

Most of the impatient fans will think they will click from day one (that has never happened) and just run through college basketball, those are likely the ones that will be doing the cursing and doubting early in the year

I think it depends a lot of who all leaves Ky this year. I haven't looked to see who all they are losing, but I assume at least Knox, Alexander and Diallo are gone? If so. I really like our chances. Even if all those come back, I still think we can win it. I think we will be more athletic than them and better coached. I would prefer though that this game was played toward the end of the year when both teams are what they are going to be.

Green would be the starting pg. his shooting and experience of knowing what it takes is something none of the new point guards have. Neither of the new PG’s are a Wall, Fox etc OAD lock talent who will come in and be a sure first starter. Both are likely two or more year players unless they just want to start their nba career early or have a unexpected year. With that said Green may still transfer if he doesn’t feel that he wants to share a lot of minutes which is understandable

Diallo and somebody else has to leave. I can't see more than 10 guys on the roster. Green may transfer he will not get a chance at pg next year and if he wants to make it to the nba in needs to run the point efficiently in college. Gabriel is 21 already. Jarred comes back risk injury which he's prone.

Other than our 4 freshmen, we have no one else. Bolden and Ocon both need
I’d be shocked if Duke wins this one or doesn’t lose by 10. I don’t think fans realize just how much adjusting freshmen have to make, even very good freshmen. It’s easier when you have at least one vet that is very good like duke had last season with Grayson. The main thing is usually defense and knowing how hard you have to play when you get to the college level.

UK fans can tell you about the adjustment from this past season with relying on nothing but freshmen and a soph. It usually starts to click later in the year but early is when the lumps come and every team that have relied on a bunch of freshmen (UK twice) with no impact returners has stumbled early in the year.

Some Duke fans will be extremely frustrated and start hating the OAD thing and wanting upperclassmen and a change in recruiting. Some will curse out K for coaching, Zion and Cam for defense, Jones for defense and leadership etc. But the key will be patience since Cal has shown eventually you can get the talent to buy in and connect. Zone will likely be the main defense K plays this upcoming season since this new group is even less known for defense and doesn’t have close to the combination of length, size, athletic ability as Bagley, Carter.

Most of the impatient fans will think they will click from day one (that has never happened) and just run through college basketball, those are likely the ones that will be doing the cursing and doubting early in the year

Not to discredit all the thought you put into that post, but I'm going to go ahead and go with Duke in this one. I think RJ will be the most versatile player on the court, I think Ky will have a hard time finding anyone to handle Zions size and quickness, and coach K is 5-2 against ky. And....I think Bolden is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I do get what you are saying about the freshmen needing some time to put it all together though.

Not to discredit all the thought you put into that post, but I'm going to go ahead and go with Duke in this one. I think RJ will be the most versatile player on the court, I think Ky will have a hard time finding anyone to handle Zions size and quickness, and coach K is 5-2 against ky. And....I think Bolden is going to surprise a lot of people this year. I do get what you are saying about the freshmen needing some time to put it all together though.

I’ll take Kentucky in this one. RJ will get his no doubt. I think Jarred Vanderbilt(IF he comes back and is healthy)could give Zion some trouble. Both these teams are going to be very talented and it should be a great game, can’t wait to be there.

Reactions: TheWyldKat
Forget Kentucky. They’ll find a way to lose to use. I have just as much faith against them as I do when we play Michigan State. They won’t beat us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT