ADVERTISEMENT

Question about K

DukeDenver

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2010
Triad, NC
Has coach K ever beaten a higher seed in the NCAA Tourney? I recall that he has done so, but maybe only once? Help me out, DI.

I’m guessing we’ve only had the opportunity 4-5 times. I might go year by year and look this up. It’s not like it’s that many... oh right he’s in year 38.

I'd forgotten about beating #1 Purdue, but of course the UNLV (2nd) game. But i'm surprised no one thought of us beating #1 Temple (1988) with the great Mark Macon, whom Billy King (one of the best defenders in Duke history) shut him down.

Also Duke was never a #1 seed during the Laettner years, except for the '92 season, and we made it to the FF every time. Beat #1 Georgetown in '89 (while #2 seed), and #1 Connecticut in '90 (as a #3 seed). Of course Laettner was on 3 of K's teams that beat a higher seed...yeah, he was pretty good.

So, from '88 through 91 Duke as a #2 (3 times) and a #3 seed (1 time) beat a #1 seed to make it to the FF.

OFC

As much as anything, that speaks to how often Duke has been a 1 or 2 seed. Very difficult to beat a higher tanked team in those circumstances.

I'd forgotten about beating #1 Purdue, but of course the UNLV (2nd) game. But i'm surprised no one thought of us beating #1 Temple (1988) with the great Mark Macon, whom Billy King (one of the best defenders in Duke history) shut him down.

Also Duke was never a #1 seed during the Laettner years, except for the '92 season, and we made it to the FF every time. Beat #1 Georgetown in '89 (while #2 seed), and #1 Connecticut in '90 (as a #3 seed). Of course Laettner was on 3 of K's teams that beat a higher seed...yeah, he was pretty good.

So, from '88 through 91 Duke as a #2 (3 times) and a #3 seed (1 time) beat a #1 seed to make it to the FF.

OFC

I now feel so much better !

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
How many chances have we had this century? Oregon in '16, UL in '13, KU in '03... Is that it?

Reactions: DukeDenver
How many chances have we had this century? Oregon in '16, UL in '13, KU in '03... Is that it?
Yes that’s it. Prior to that it was Purdue and Arkansas in ‘94.

We were a one seed 8 out 9 years from ‘98 to ‘06 (which is pretty remarkable) so we really had no chances during that stretch

Just to annotate Coach K's resume against higher seeds:

Loss - 87 Indiana
Win - 88 Temple
Win - 89 GT
Win - 90 UConn
Win - 91 UNLV
Win - 94 Purdue
Loss - 94 Arkansas
Loss - 03 Kansas
Loss - 13 Louisville
Loss - 16 Oregon
??? - 18 Kansas

K is 5-5 in such games heading into tomorrow. Let's give this man a winning record against higher seeded tourney teams and end the 24 year drought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT