ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports trivia part 2.

Got the "yips" and couldn't find the plate after a promising start to his career as a pitcher. The Cards moved him to center field where he stuck in the big leagues.

I yield to dtodd! You are up sir! You planted seed for answer! Kudos friend- OFC

I'm a fan of the hated rivals down the road, but I take the temperature of a few other fan boards, especially during the recruiting windows. Won't be checkingi in here often enough to fully participate I do enjoy trivia though, and instantly thought of Ankiel's meltdown on the mound and rebirth in center. Great question.

Last edited:
Reactions: GillJET
I'm a fan of the hated rivals down the road, but I take the temperature of a few other fan boards, especially during the recruiting windows. Won't be checkingi in here often enough to fully participate I do enjoy trivia though, and instantly thought of Ankiel's meltdown on the mound and rebirth in center.[/QUOT

Take it you want someone else to ask next question? OFC

Ah, what the heck.

The Baltimore Orioles are the only modern era team to have four 20 game winners on the same staff in one season. Who were those 4 pitchers that won 20 in the same season for the O's.

Ah, what the heck.

The Baltimore Orioles are the only modern era team to have four 20 game winners on the same staff in one season. Who were those 4 pitchers that won 20 in the same season for the O's.
I can only come up with the obvious one, Jim Palmer.

I'll give it a shot.

MIke Cuellar
Pat Dobson
Jim Palmer
Dave McNally

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: dtodd4475
Think I need to edit for correct spelling or this like jeopardy ?OFC

No I think you're safe. Enough of us who know baseball know who you meant although it was a mild shock, lol, as The Dobber pitched for your Yankees at one time, am I right? Lol...OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Ok here's one that a true blue heel fan should get and anyone else who has read any of post of mine over the years. In the early 70's the heels were playing the NCSU Wolfpack on the ACC game of the week. As some of you old farts remember back then you sailed with Jefferson Pilot on Saturdays when you only got to see one ACC game each week. I believe just about all ofor us know how it was back in the day. unc was as always very good that year and the Wolfpack like Duke was mediocre to say the best. I don't remember who one that game but I do remember one outstanding play I will never forget and I've posted about it a few times on this board. unc had an outstanding player bill chamberlain. He came in right after charlie scott had left. There was a foul in the game and both teams were lined up for the foul shot when Norman Sloan, NCSU's coach sent in a sub. The sub takes his place right next to chamberlain. Now chamberlain was owning the court that day and no one could do anything to stop him. All of a sudden the sub turns his head towards chamberlain and says something to him. No idea what he said but chamberlain then just slugs the sub with a round house Mohamed Ali would have been proud of. chamberlain gets tossed and he is no more of a threat. To be honest I think NCSU came back to win but not sure. I can't even tell you where the game was played. Now for the question. What was the name of The NCSU sub. Bonus if you can give me his nickname name . Expecting an old fart or die hard heel fan to get this. dtodd I'm betting on you. OFC

You are a dog fart hart. I forgot that you were around. Were you watching that game? I about fell out of my chair. Talking about baiting some one Sloan did a job that day. I've always wondered what Wells said to him because chamberlain didn't hesitate. I bet dean pitched one of those hissy fits that's been handed down through the unc coaches. If any of you never saw a dean smith hissy fit hof coach roy williams does a perfect impression of it. Dirty Dan Wells. I'll never forgethought him . Special moment in ACC basketball history. You have the honors hart. OFC

Last edited:
You are a dog fart hart. I forgot that you were around. Were you watching that game? I about fell out of my chair. Talking about baiting some one Sloan did a job that day. I've always wondered what Wells said to him because chamberlain didn't hesitate. I bet dean pitched one of those hissy fits that's been handed down through the unc coaches. If any of you never saw a dean smith hissy fit hof coach roy williams does a perfect impression of it. Dirty Dan Wells. I'll never forgethought him . Special moment in ACC basketball history. You have the honors hart. OFC

Of course I was watching it!!! That was a GIFT!!!! HERE IS AN EASY ONE BACK- WHO GAVE UP HENRY AARON'S RECORD HR TO TIE BABE RUTH???? OFC

Sky you're up. You know the thing that gets overlooked is Downing was a good pitcher. Sky didnt he have some decent years w/the Yankees? OFC

Yes he did and had some decent years. If I'm not mistaken he led the league in strike outs one year with the Yanks. Had a career winning record also. I have his baseball card when he was with the Yankees. Nothing shameful about giving up Hanks record breaking home run. Someone was going to give it up. OK heres the question and I will stay Downing. After his career was over he was the color man for what MLB team. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
Yes he did and had some decent years. If I'm not mistaken he led the league in strike outs one year with the Yanks. Had a career winning record also. I have his baseball card when he was with the Yankees. Nothing shameful about giving up Hanks record breaking home run. Someone was going to give it up. OK heres the question and I will stay Downing. After his career was over he was the color man for what MLB team. OFC

Now thats a heckuva question....hmmmm

OFC

I yield to dtodd! You are up sir! You planted seed for answer! Kudos friend- OFC

Of course I was watching it!!! That was a GIFT!!!! HERE IS AN EASY ONE BACK- WHO GAVE UP HENRY AARON'S RECORD HR TO TIE BABE RUTH???? OFC
Not to nit pick but Downing gave up the record breaker # 715. The HR to tie the record was in Cincinnati on opening day. Not sure of the Reds pitcher, either Tom Gullickson or Jack Billingham. Long last name guy though...lol

Not to nit pick but Downing gave up the record breaker # 715. The HR to tie the record was in Cincinnati on opening day. Not sure of the Reds pitcher, either Tom Gullickson or Jack Billingham. Long last name guy though...lol

You are right dtodd and I waive my question to you. I will wait until I get the next one right and just ask my question again. OFC

Hey you're not "nit picking!!" Thanks I did say TIE, and Billingham is 100% CORRECT! THKS TODD....You're up and Sky will understand-hes a great guy!

Go Todd!! OFC

This answer was wrong and I forfeit my answer. OFC

Sky my bad, I overlooked Billingham! Always thought he was a decent pitcher btw but not in the class of Reds Don Gullett and of course "Tom Terrific" after he came over from the Mets. OFC

Sky my bad, I overlooked Billingham! Always thought he was a decent pitcher btw but not in the class of Reds Don Gullett and of course "Tom Terrific" after he came over from the Mets. OFC

Not a problem. I got caught up in my own trap . I didnt read the question completely. OFC

Who were the inductees for the original class of the baseball hall of fame, and which player was the leading vote getter of that inaugural group.

Who were the inductees for the original class of the baseball hall of fame, and which player was the leading vote getter of that inaugural group.

How many were there?

I’m almost certain Ty Cobb was the leading vote getter. Babe Ruth was also in the first group.

I’ll also say Honus Wagner and Cy Young joined them.

Hold my beer, I finally know a baseball question.... finally

Bambino, Honus Wagner, Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb, Christy Matthewson. Cobb was the leader.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT