ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.
Could it eventually be locked but not deleted? It's nice having a record.
Sorry on already breeching civility for snark. I'll behave.

I have a feeling it will get to the point of becoming argumentative because those that don't want it up will dismantle the thread and force our hand, but it has been civil for now. And yeah please try to keep the snark low. Lol.

But if this can stay decent, we'll lock it only. But I just think it's in the board's best interest to lock with the possibility of deletion.

Sorry Devilinside, I could not disagree with you more. Yes, there will be some ignorant responses. But, as somebody who has studied this topic quite a bit (Licensed Master Social Worker and studied and taught World History/Global Studies) I firmly believe that this should be discussed here. It needs to be discussed more often and more openly in our society. Hate grows best in the dark.

Scheyduke-I want to hear more from you too. Racism and this kind of hatred requires the dehumanizing of others; making issues impersonal. Propaganda and stereotypes fuel the fire. Making things personal - relatable - human puts out that fire.

Reactions: nupe300 and Dattier
Protestors just tore down the Confederate statue in front of the Durham courthouse. What bothers me the most is people taking matters into their own hands. If you don't agree with someone these days you are labeled and verbally or physically attacked. People just don't move on if they have difference in opinion anymore. They force their views on you whether you care or not.

And the sad thing is these events are birthing more and more radicals every hour.

Yeah, that's probably only going to escalate things more. Sad and stupid that someone can hate another person that they don't even know just be said they are a different race, nationality, sex, or diverse differences. They don't realize how boring this would be if everyone looked, acted, and believed the exact same way.

I literally don't watch the news anymore because of biased reporting and fake BS from both sides. And that used to be just national news. Now it's local news also (WRAL). I'm close to the point of deleting all social media accounts. The media is the biggest spoon stirring this pot of ****.

I never watch the news or read the paper....the only reason I even seen this was because it was on TV while me and the guys I went on the golf trip with were eating breakfast at the hotel. And as I looked around, I noticed that hardly no one was even paying attention and I was like, wow....is this where we are as a country? Nobody even seemed to care.

" What bothers me the most is people taking matters into their own hands. If you don't agree with someone these days you are labeled and verbally or physically attacked. People just don't move on if they have difference in opinion anymore. They force their views on you whether you care or not.

And the sad thing is these events are birthing more and more radicals every hour."

I agree with this. That said, the U.S. Civil War was hideous, unjust, and unnecessary. Couldn't your statement in some way describe the setting of the lead up to the Civil War? After all, Lincoln wanted to avoid that war at all cost. And, just as your statement speaks a lot of truth, that statue never should have gone up in the first place and never have stood for so long in this country of ours. Many, many, many very good men of the South fell in that war. Their loss, the loss of their families, and the loss to all to humanity should be memorialized. The war itself should not be memorialized/glorified from a Confederate perspective.

I do disagree with the unlawful tearing down of the statue. The point is lost to some degree if it is done in an unlawful, rioting manner.

The news still needs to be watched. It just needs to be watched with a critical eye. Blinders won't work either.

Hey Psy, I think you are really off base on a lot of this. If you don't mind, I'll tackle your post a piece at a time. It might be a bit long; sorry in advance if it is too much to process.

Just a bit of background. I'm a pretty average white dude. I've known a lot of black people though, and quite well... one of my three degrees at Duke was African American History, I've worked with a LOT of black athletes in my former profession, and I even lived in Alpha Phi Alpha, a traditionally black frat (Long story... basically Duke required all frats to have some independents living in their house, and I was buddy's with the APA president who offered me and my best friend one of the best rooms on West Campus... not going to turn that down!). Nowadays I chat socially with a group of black dudes between the ages of 35 and 42 on an almost daily basis, and we discuss a lot about current events and the like; I am always curious about things I don't experience, and as a rich white dude I've definitely not experienced life as a black American man:)

Anyway... on to my points.

My hometown ... The news/media/ social/ whatever is the biggest problem in the world imo..nothimg but cancer...too many people see,believe, assume,carry out so much from what this cancer spreads ... and makes things so much worse!! ..sad..

I do not believe that to be true, and I think that really shrugs off responsibility. Listen, the media in general is a for-profit industry that has issues. But they do not create reality or the news. The media is largely information. Now, unfortunately some political forces have turned "the media" into a tool for propaganda like we've never seen. There are certainly media outlets that are nothing but rabble rousing nonsense... for example, Brietbart or Occupy Democrats. But to dismiss the American media wholesale is dangerous. The media is the only way any of us have any ability to gather information from outside of our immediate area, and the American news media has, for the last two centuries, been the best on earth, the envy of the world, and a key component in keeping America free. There is a reason that the media is called "The Fourth Pillar of Democracy"... (Judiciary, Executive, Legislature and Media)... the news media is what allows us American citizens to know what our government is doing, a government that has a tremendous amount of power, and the news media is the only way we will ever know if our government is doing wrong.

Dismissing the media as the problem, I think, is foolish. For the most part, the media reports the problems. Without our news media, we would be doomed to nothing but government propoganda and ignorance. Just ask the North Koreans;)

If you guys genuinely got and read the New York Times for a month... like, actually did it... I think you'd likely realize that we have a lot of important news media out there... people just don't have the patience to read it.

just so a lot of people know, the majority of hate came from out of state.both sides were wrong! Imo..I don't agree with removing the statue either but it could have been protested better and for the anti protesters y'all were way worse imo..

I sincerely doubt the anti protestors were much worse. The white supremacists arrived armed to the teeth, with guns and body armor and shields. They walked the streets chanting Nazi slogans (remember, the Nazis killed twelve million people and caused World War 2, a war many Americans fought and died in.)

To say that the people protesting against hate who were attacked by a terrorist were worse than the haters themselves seems difficult to accept.

It does seem that the majority of the real problems came from out of state. My guess is the same will happen at the Nazi rally in Texas on 9/11.

just unbelievable..2nd biggest problem is people have became way to sensitive .(both sides )..for the neutral people in between like myself it sucks and Affects us everyday negatively because of this .and sooner or later we'll be peer pressured to chooce a side ...its coming!

I am not sure you understand the sides.

I think you see this as a white vs minority thing.

It most assuredly is not. Just look at any of the photos and you can see that.

It appears to me that there are maybe three sides.

There are the people who have outright hatred in their hearts.

There are the people who want change in systems that are damaged and to right injustice.

There are people who just want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend everything is, and was, okay.

I, and everyone I know, are part of side #2. I would hope you would be too.

This is just the start imo and will get worse..god bless and forgive..I blame Obama ..sure there was racism but not like now !!BLM was the last straw.. Nowhere close imo.. not from me or my opinion but the whites have just gotten tired of the catering/sensitivity/ opportunities / excuses/ attention/bs/pity the minority's are demanding!

To blame Obama for the problems we have seems, to me, to be a total reputation of personal responsibility.

Obama, a half black half white American who I never heard say a racist thing, most assuredly is not to blame for race problems in this nation.

And it isn't about catering or excuses or bs or pity.

I'll put this as plainly as possible.

There are a number of racist people in this country.

There are a number of systems in our country that seem to be tilted in favor of some races over others. Look at the race numbers in the legal system. Look at the race numbers in our government. Look at race and salaries.

These systems were put into place early on, and made concrete during Reconstruction. They formally continued through segregation, and unfortunately, in some avenues of American life, they continue today.

And to blame Black Lives Matter shows a distinct lack of understanding of three things:

First, what the actual goals and motivations of the Black Lives Movement are. Go read their goals and beliefs.

"We are committed to collectively, lovingly and courageously working vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension all people. As we forge our path, we intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting."

"We are committed to acknowledging, respecting and celebrating difference(s) and commonalities."

"We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts."

These are not the words of the group that is the problem, the group that is supported by millions of Americans of all races, myself included.

Second, how to differentiate between millions of BLM supporters who are peaceful, caring Americans who want to bring harmony to the races, and the small number of criminals and racists who took advantage of the BLM unrest to commit crimes and violence.

Third, exactly how the BLM movement came to be.

For many years in our country, black people have suffered. In our lifetimes (well, for those of us who are older) they were not allowed to marry white people, not allowed to serve with whites in combat, not allowed to eat at certain restaurants, not allowed to shop in certain stores... and when segregation ended (again, in the lifetimes of MANY Americans, including the VAST majority of the people who run this nation) the problems didn't end... black Americans still faced discrimination when applying to school, discrimination when trying to buy a home, discrimination when trying to get a loan, discrimination when applying for a job, and yes, discrimination often when dealing with law enforcement.

And when it comes to law enforcement, that has been a particular difficult relationship. Part of that relates to the inner city issues (btw, the reason there are so many black Americans in the inner city? Because when they fled the South post-Reconstruction, the were not allowed to live in many of the suburbs and the like...) of poverty and crime, which make the jobs of our law enforcement officers so very difficult. (On a side note, a lot of people won't discuss this piece of it, and doing so can really invite down wrath. It's a shame. But note; it is FAR more about poverty than race.)

But part of it also deals with race.

And if you ask any black person of a certain age, they will tell you... the police were the ones beating them with clubs, the police were the ones setting dogs on them, the police were the ones knocking them down with water cannons... the police were the ones who enforced segregation.

Then, when that ended, we STILL heard these extraordinary numbers, of how the white experience with law enforcement was so very different than the black experience. Huge disparities in jail time for similar crimes, huge disparity in conviction rates, and yes, a huge disparity in violence at the hands of police.

This is something that has been happening for a long, long time.

Do you want to know what changed in the last eight, ten years?

It wasn't Obama.

It's simple; the iPhone.

Yep. That simple.

Because what was only seen by black Americans on a local level, and never able to be proved because there was no video, is suddenly being recorded by everyone, seen by everyone. Ask any black American and they'll tell you; it isn't any worse now. Not at all. It's just VISIBLE now, and white Americans are seeing it for the first time.

In the end, this will be a positive. This will lead to positive change. I believe that, because I believe people are good. But it will take some time, and right now the bad people are pushing back.

Last edited:
Guess what I learned just now?

There is a 10,000 character limit on posts!

:rolleyes:

Anyway... on we go.

from what I ve heard and slightly agree..If ur not as good as the other you shouldn't be given any better opportunity then the other based on race ! And having to worry about somebody calling you racist in whatever the situation is .In this world now race is everythinng!

No, it is not, but when race is discussed, yes, then race is important.

Unfortunately I do think the term "racist" is thrown around too much by both righties and lefties. A lot of it is people being defensive and angry.

And it isn't about being given a better opportunity. For centuries black Americans had less opportunity. What we see now is an attempt to level the playing field, when almost every system on that field is naturally tilted.

My buddy said he would rather be black then white these days just based on opportunities minority's get ...that's what's happening ..everybody isn't getting treated equal on both sides..both sides have reason to protest ..

Okay, here I have to get a bit more direct; your buddy made an idiotic statement, and one which would only be made by someone who hasn't had to ever deal with what minorities deal with. I think he dearly needs to talk to some black Americans and get some perspective. Hell, ask a black guy what he feels when he gets pulled over by a cop... I bet it isn't what your buddy feels. Ask his mom how she feels when he goes out for a night with his guy friends... I bet it isn't what a lot of mothers of young black men feel.

And I have yet to see any serious way that I am not being treated equally because I am white. Seriously. And I doubt very many people here can point to any single event in their life, like an actual event, not a theoretical something, where they suffered for being white.

just a messed up world now.both sides aren't getting treated equal imo.stupid.the race card is being abused..and dumb white people are ruining it for the rest of the whites! Ughhh that's all..why people are trying to relive the past is beyond me ..But at the same time trying to erase it ! Can't have it both ways! And these dumb lowlife resnecks are about as clueless as they come ! So much I wanna say just pisses me off!

I agree that dumb white people are doing a LOT of damage. Dumb people of ALL races are, if you look at the idiots who were chanting to kills cops during the riots.

I think the key takeaway here for you has to be this;

It isn't the past.

It is the present, for millions of black Americans.

The day to day, every day present.

That's the problem.

Move on!!!!! People!!!!! God bless

When things get better, we can move on. It isn't time yet, judging by the heavily armed Nazis marching through Charlottesville.

And I promise you; you aren't as sick of this as black Americans are. I promise you.

Anyway... I know that's a lot. I hope you could stick with it all:)

Last edited:
The saddest part of all is that this won't be the last time something like this happens, or that someone is done wrong because of their race or something they believe in. Some of this stuff and these groups is down right terrorism and you can't tell me we don't have the ability to do more about it than we do.

Protestors just tore down the Confederate statue in front of the Durham courthouse. What bothers me the most is people taking matters into their own hands. If you don't agree with someone these days you are labeled and verbally or physically attacked. People just don't move on if they have difference in opinion anymore. They force their views on you whether you care or not.

And the sad thing is these events are birthing more and more radicals every hour.
Whoa. I approve of taking down statues glorifying the Confederacy, but not like this.

A "difference of opinion" is whether you like bleu cheese or raunch dressing. A difference of opinion on civil rights matters is a matter of having rights or continuing to be denied rights, and agreeing to disagree, then walking away there means giving up on achieving a right. The only thing appropriate then is force, but it's not forcing their beliefs on you; it's forcing your beliefs off of them. No one ever should have had the right to limit anyone else's freedom.

Just so we're clear: The radicals these events create... what happened in front of the Durham courthouse today is a product, not a catalyst.

Datt...I hope you don't believe that these events are not catalysts for eventual nutjobs like Dylan Roof or the guy who just mowed down protestors in Charlottesville. Those guys stewed over similar events for a while before they did what they did. They were not born overnight.

Datt...I hope you don't believe that these events are not catalysts for eventual nutjobs like Dylan Roof or the guy who just mowed down protestors in Charlottesville. Those guys stewed over similar events for a while before they did what they did. They were not born overnight.
No, I know, but this isn't THE starting point. It's part of a never-ending cycle. What happened today is an example of what previous actions created.

Dude-the scary thing is how much you left out. As long as your post was, it just scratches the surface. Great post.

Reactions: TheDude1
Dude-the scary thing is how much you left out. As long as your post was, it just scratches the surface. Great post.

Thanks man, for the kind words and actually reading it all!

I do hope some others read it, too... I think it's worth it?:)

Reactions: dukiejay
I have a question. We are speaking on Charlottesville but wasn't it not to long ago a UNC middle eastern student drove through a demonstration in their quad supporting the talaban?

Isn't isis now recruiting all races to join from white to black Americans?

I don't agree with the taking down of anything dealing with the confederacy. It's history NC is in the south. That being said the south was defeated by the North that is a learning point.

Look at the wording for "BLM" it stands for Black Lives Matter. No way to twist that in some eyes. You can't get " All lives Matter" out of it because the way most will view the very first word. Just like " White supremacy " there is no way to twist it because of the first word " White"

Things are they way they are because we simply do not teach forgiveness or history the right way.

Point being," when the BLM movement first started especially after the African American cop shot an African American male here in Charlotte I pulled a car over for going 55 in a 35. It was an AA female driving I walked up to her car window knocked on it asked her for her license registration and she asked why I stopped her I told her going 55 in a 35 in a school zone her exact words to me were," Your not gonna give me a ticket are you because you know WERE not to happy with YALL right now! I asked who were y'all? She said the " cops"! Now I haven't done anything don't barely care for media but she emplied I should let her go with a warning to improve community relations. I wrote her a ticket and explained," ma'am the speed limit is 35 you past two signs stating that on your way in. She stated yeah I know but y'all are doing worse I told her have a good day and handed her the ticket. Now could I have let her go on a warning and avoided the even longer conversation? Sure but twenty over the speed limit didn't warrant so.

I have a question. We are speaking on Charlottesville but wasn't it not to long ago a UNC middle eastern student drove through a demonstration in their quad supporting the talaban?

Isn't isis now recruiting all races to join from white to black Americans?

I don't agree with the taking down of anything dealing with the confederacy. It's history NC is in the south. That being said the south was defeated by the North that is a learning point.

Look at the wording for "BLM" it stands for Black Lives Matter. No way to twist that in some eyes. You can't get " All lives Matter" out of it because the way most will view the very first word. Just like " White supremacy " there is no way to twist it because of the first word " White"

Things are they way they are because we simply do not teach forgiveness or history the right way.

Point being," when the BLM movement first started especially after the African American cop shot an African American male here in Charlotte I pulled a car over for going 55 in a 35. It was an AA female driving I walked up to her car window knocked on it asked her for her license registration and she asked why I stopped her I told her going 55 in a 35 in a school zone her exact words to me were," Your not gonna give me a ticket are you because you know WERE not to happy with YALL right now! I asked who were y'all? She said the " cops"! Now I haven't done anything don't barely care for media but she emplied I should let her go with a warning to improve community relations. I wrote her a ticket and explained," ma'am the speed limit is 35 you past two signs stating that on your way in. She stated yeah I know but y'all are doing worse I told her have a good day and handed her the ticket. Now could I have let her go on a warning and avoided the even longer conversation? Sure but twenty over the speed limit didn't warrant so.
I once told a state trooper I couldn't have possibly been speeding b/c there were still cars in front of me. People say dumb things in that situation.

The entire point of saying Black lives matter is that all lives should matter, but there are signs that make people doubtful. I'm not really sure what your point is about that. The only way it is remotely comparable to White supremacy is that the first word is a color.

I don't remember exactly when that UNC incident was, nor what his exact influences were. I'm not up to speed on ISIS's recruiting tactics, but I do know that domestically, White supremacists pose a far greater risk.

I disagree completely, and your logic is flawed there.

"Supremecy" means being above everything else, the best. If I said "Duke is the supreme team in college basketball," for example, you would be right to infer that I think Kansas is not as good as Duke. Hence, when you say "white supremacy" you directly mean whites are better than everyone else. That is clearly outlined in the manifestos of every white supremacy group in existence, and is the cornerstone of the white supremacy movement.

But saying "Black Lives Matter" absolutely does NOT carry either a direct or indirect implication that ONLY black lives matter, or others don't. If I said "Duke is a really good basketball team" you would NOT infer that I thought Duke was better than Kansas; just that I think Duke is a really good basketball team.

Beyond what I see as a logical flaw, what you are saying doesn't jive with what Black Lives Matter actually says, as an organization. I'll post this again, from Black Lives Matters itself:

"We are committed to collectively, lovingly and courageously working vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension all people. As we forge our path, we intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting."

"We are committed to acknowledging, respecting and celebrating difference(s) and commonalities."

"We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts."

Nothing ive see stated or verbalized by the Black Lives Matter movement ever once directly or indirectly said that black people are more important than white people. I've also never heard that personally; I have many anecdotes about the BLM movement (I have a lot of friends who associate with it and have attended marches, black white asian Latino) and have never heard a single one excluding or demeaning any race.

The BLM movement came to be because when white Americans had problems with the systems in our nation (law enforcement, financial, etc) it was often handled one way, and when black Americans had problems with the systems in our nation it was often handled a different way. It came to a head when we saw so many black lives ended in incidents with law enforcement, yet there were nearly no consequences for these incidents. That was where the idea of black lives mattering came from.

I assure you; the BLM movement was absolutely and completely about Black Lives Matter TOO. From their actual website:

8. (Minsconception) The movement hates white people : The statement “black lives matter” is not an anti-white proposition. Contained within the statement is an unspoken but implied “too,” as in “black lives matter, too,” which suggests that the statement is one of inclusion rather than exclusion.

I'm sorry to hear about the moron in your traffic stop. She sounds like an idiot. Put that brain in a white body, and my guess is you'd get some other moronic statement.

Being a law enforcemnt officer now is damn hard. I'm sorry you guys are getting so much generalized flak, when so many of you don't deserve it:(

Last edited:
Speaking of no knowledge and being wrong...

The Lounge has been out of commission for a long time. Sports, social issues, and politics have always intersected. Aversion to such topics is usually more about our maturity in discussing them, not whether they are appropriate on a sports message board where other OT threads exist w/o raising any eyebrows.
Opinions are not statements of fact. They are neither right nor wrong. One is free to agree or to disagree with them. You should know that. The opinion that I expressed on this thread was based on the fact that this thread did not intersect politics and social issues with sports, Had it done so, my opinion would have been that the content was appropriate. I respect your opinion that I was wrong to have my opinion, but I adamantly disagree with you.

No lounge + important topic = it stays up right now. The whole situation is dying down and we'll lock this when necessary but so far the discussion has been very fair and appropriate and any inaccuracies have been discussed. I don't see a problem and the difference between this and the Kaepernick thread you brought up is that the thread in question went from 0 - 100 pretty quickly. The context isn't why it went away. The activity is why.

Sorry @Devilinside this is up a little longer. Please feel free to hit the ignore button on any of us or this thread. I promise that way, we won't burden you any longer.
A couple of things, Dukehokie, in a little over a day, this thread has generated 65 replies and 894 views. The Kaepernick thread had only 14 replies and 314 views before it was locked. Second, the problem with this thread is that its total irrelevance to sports does not jump out from its title, and one had to do some reading before the lack of relevance appeared. So, it was not just a matter of ignoring the title and clicking on something else. Third, I have nothing against any poster on this board and in fact respect their opinions and comments, to include the few in this thread which I have read. If you are telling me that the purpose of this board is to provide a forum for anyone to air his or her opinion on anything, even to those of us who frequent this board only for sports related discussion, my comments were based upon an incorrect assumption as to what type of board this is, and I withdraw them Your suggestion that I am "burdened" by particular posters is both incorrect and unfair. Fourth, I really do not see the reason for the facetious statement with which you concluded your comments. You do not know me, and there was really no need for you to get personal in order for me to get your points. I hope you got something out of it.

A couple of things, Dukehokie, in a little over a day, this thread has generated 65 replies and 894 views. The Kaepernick thread had only 14 replies and 314 views before it was locked. Second, the problem with this thread is that its total irrelevance to sports does not jump out from its title, and one had to do some reading before the lack of relevance appeared. So, it was not just a matter of ignoring the title and clicking on something else. Third, I have nothing against any poster on this board and in fact respect their opinions and comments, to include the few in this thread which I have read. If you are telling me that the purpose of this board is to provide a forum for anyone to air his or her opinion on anything, even to those of us who frequent this board only for sports related discussion, my comments were based upon an incorrect assumption as to what type of board this is, and I withdraw them Your suggestion that I am "burdened" by particular posters is both incorrect and unfair. Fourth, I really do not see the reason for the facetious statement with which you concluded your comments. You do not know me, and there was really no need for you to get personal in order for me to get your points. I hope you got something out of it.

I sent you a PM. My intent was not personal, I do apologize.

Devilinside-you say that this doesn't pertain to sports. I disagree. On this board, we routinely urge on our team(s). We routinely urge recruits to pick our team. We refer to the family environment K has established. The Brotherhoood. We make fun of The Tar Heels for their phony "Carolina Way."

Well, many of these players/recruits are people of color. If we want to do all of the above sincerely, if we really want to support them, them we should support issues that pertain to them. Otherwise, we are just like Carolina. Using these athletes for their ability and then casting them aside. I wont do that. I wont let somebody tell me to do that.

I would not have started this thread if I thought it would cause ill feelings or animosity amongst us. My intent was that it would bring us together as Duke fans to civilly discuss something that is very wrong in our country. I do not want to post content that will cause us to turn on each other like you see happening on other boards. RR as an example. They are constantly at each other's throats. I do not want that for us. I do however, not regret posting because some of the responses showed me that there are a lot of people here who feel the same way about this matter as I do. And that does not surprise me.

Scheyduke please don't take this as critical or patronizing, but you are really missing the point regarding BLM. Black Lives Matter is an appropriate title because of our nation's history of black lives not being important beyond the purpose of a cheap form of labor. This concept did not end with the end of slavery. After the civil war, many blacks were arrested and used for slave labor to rebuild the South because of that exception in the Emancipation Proclamation. When blacks were moving to northern cities in large numbers in the early 1900s government officials sent local police to the train stations to stop them from leaving so as to maintain their cheap labor force. Local black papers were threatened and harassed if they promoted migration to the North. Black men who fought in WWII and Korea came home to the same old "white only" world. Protesters were attacked by police, water cannons, and dogs during planned, legal, and peaceful marches. Show me one video in America where peaceful white marchers in a legal venue are attacked by police ( Maybe you can find one related to a peaceful labor rally). I could go on forever.

Devilinside-you say that this doesn't pertain to sports. I disagree. On this board, we routinely urge on our team(s). We routinely urge recruits to pick our team. We refer to the family environment K has established. The Brotherhoood. We make fun of The Tar Heels for their phony "Carolina Way."

Well, many of these players/recruits are people of color. If we want to do all of the above sincerely, if we really want to support them, them we should support issues that pertain to them. Otherwise, we are just like Carolina. Using these athletes for their ability and then casting them aside. I wont do that. I wont let somebody tell me to do that.
So if this riot and the death were caused by, say the Black Panthers, we should get into a full discussion of it in order to support the Caucasian players?

I don't think the white players need much support for race-based issues :) I mean... has any white person here ever felt a pattern of discrimination against them because of race? I haven't. Heck, the black frat I lived in said I could even rush if I wanted to, as long as my motives weren't silly. The white experience in America is simply not the same as the black experience. I feel rather lucky for that:)

I know I wrote WAY too much, but again, I urge folks to go back and read my two long posts. I do go into a bit of the history of all of this, as well as an analysis of the BLM movement.

Btw, pretty crazy.... Obamas tweets about this (a photo and a quote from Nelson Mandela) are the second most liked tweet of all time, and the fifth most viewed.

Btw, on a total aside; f'ing PROUD of us for keeping a pretty darn civil thread, despite an emotional topic! Never seen a topic like this stay like that for so long on the internet, where everyone assumes the worst and we are often fighting other fights that we've had. Go Duke!:)

Opinions are not statements of fact. They are neither right nor wrong. One is free to agree or to disagree with them. You should know that. The opinion that I expressed on this thread was based on the fact that this thread did not intersect politics and social issues with sports, Had it done so, my opinion would have been that the content was appropriate. I respect your opinion that I was wrong to have my opinion, but I adamantly disagree with you.
I was referring specifically to your claim that "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" was BLM's mantra. That is factually incorrect.

Reactions: TheDude1
I certainly wouldn't be a supporter of that movement if that was the mantra :)

So if this riot and the death were caused by, say the Black Panthers, we should get into a full discussion of it in order to support the Caucasian players?
We'd probably still need to support the Black players b/c whenever anyone Black does something wrong, they ALL get blamed.

I was referring specifically to your claim that "pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" was BLM's mantra. That is factually incorrect.
How the heck was I supposed to know what you were referring to. Thanks for clearing that up. OK, maybe the word "mantra" was not exactly accurate, but what is accurate is that the quoted language was used by BLM supporters at a rally in Minneapolis.

We'd probably still need to support the Black players b/c whenever anyone Black does something wrong, they ALL get blamed.
Just like when a white police officer does something wrong, all police officers get blamed, even the African-American officers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT