ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.
:DDUKE FANS MATTER!

Sorry couldn't help it Dude1,lol.

I'll give you two more dude one.

Day after I issued another ticket same speed same place except school was in session(school zone) ask the gentleman who was Caucasian same question and this cat asked me shouldn't I be out stopping all these people from robbing and shooting. He asked the same thing when I handed him his ticket. I asked him," exactly what people are you referring to?" He looked at me and was about to say something dumb caught his self and asked me ," well you should be instead of harassing good citizens like me!"
My response was simple," Sir, I would be if I didn't have to worry about people like yourself speeding through a school zone and not taking in to account for the kids that cross that road every day!" Yeah he called my Chief I didn't really care my worry was for the kids.

Christ almighty... People are a-holes, no matter what color they are:) I'm the guy who puts his keys on the dash, keeps his hands on the wheel, and doesn't move a muscle before checking with the officer, always making sure to say exactly what I am doing. You guys have a hard ass job; I don't get why anyone makes it harder. I know people usually save this for soldiers, but thanks for YOUR service.

And no, Shey, we've been over this. ALL fans matter!

Well, not UNC fan. F those cheaters.

Of course not every member. I don't think Dat would ever say that. There are certainly terrible racists who associate with the BLM movement, no doubt. But I don't think they accurately represent it, or its goals.

And yeah, nearly everyone I know supports BLM. I certainly do, although it's not like I wrote my name somewhere to join it:). But yes, I believe black lives matter, so I support it:). I DO tend to like white lives, too... I have one, after all:)

Really? I don't feel particularly under pressure for being white. And of course it isn't okay for people to assume you are racist! Where are you even getting this from? Who on earth would support saying that all whites are racist? Dat and I are both white... I doubt either of us support that:). Anyone who assumes all whites are racist is racist themselves. Thankfully I don't think very many people feel that way, just as I don't think many people think all blacks are racist:)

They've made statements and the like. But remember, that is not what the organization is about. Again, look at their mission statements... they are clear that they are not about certain issues, but that doesn't mean those issues don't matter.

I think we should all care:)

And I think we've said this several times;

The reason it isn't called "all lives matter" is because we already know white lives matter. Everything in our society has reflected that for hundreds of years:). The issue isn't that anyone is taking away the value of white lives... the issue is that black lives in particular are not being valued equally.

Unfortunately the news doesn't care about that stuff... at least not enough to make headlines. News media IS a profit-driven industry, which is a major problem.

But all of this stuff IS out there, if you take the time to learn about it. And I think it is each and every one of ours responsibility to do so. It's our world, you know?

As for the youth today... there's a lot wrong there... but have faith they'll be okay. After all, every generation things the young people suck:)

Keep up the posts man, going back and forth is a good thing, as long as you aren't bored. It's great fodder for when you are in the bathroom, for sure:)
[/QUOTE]
I thought I responded to Dats post on that one lol. I don't feel pressure I was just giving an example . We agree on the media part. It's still about ratings.

All jokes aside I care about everyone but I do have one experience from when I was 16 that will knock your socks off! No it doesn't involve women or alcohol or drugs either lol

Reactions: pisgah101
Pisgah, BLM didn't do those things. Individuals, or groups of individuals did those things. Do demonstrations attract jackasses? Of course they do. Is every Christian in the South responsible for the church shooting? No. Do those who espouse racist views or even ignore the racism around them have some skin in that church shooting? Probably so. Do some who partake in BLM go to far? Most probably so. But just as Christianity is not at fault for the church shooting, BLM is not at fault for wrongs committed by some blacks. Only those who go too far or look away when they see others go too far have some skin in that game.

And sorry, but anyone who studied and understood American History would never doubt the need for the BLM movement. Period.

Christ almighty... People are a-holes, no matter what color they are:) I'm the guy who puts his keys on the dash, keeps his hands on the wheel, and doesn't move a muscle before checking with the officer, always making sure to say exactly what I am doing. You guys have a hard ass job; I don't get why anyone makes it harder. I know people usually save this for soldiers, but thanks for YOUR service.

And no, Shey, we've been over this. ALL fans matter!

Well, not UNC fan. F those cheaters.
About putting the keys on the dashboard. My instructor in the CCDW class I took told us if you get pulled over, the officer typically already knows that you have a CCDW license, but if you will put your hands out the window, turn in dome light if it's dark, an announce to him that you have a weapon, you will get a lot of respect from the officer. I've only been pulled over once since I got the license, but I did that and I could tell he appreciated. My brother in law is SWAT here and has told me some pretty frightening stories that police run in to.

Reactions: TheDude1
Pisgah and Datt, ya'll are essentially the same spirit, only with radically different life experiences. Consider that point as you try to understand each others' viewpoints. Thanks for keeping it civil. This has been an OK discussion. It's an impossibly complicated topic, so a final resolution isn't going to present itself. If each of you take a little away from this, it's a win.

Pisgah, BLM didn't do those things. Individuals, or groups of individuals did those things. Do demonstrations attract jackasses? Of course they do. Is every Christian in the South responsible for the church shooting? No. Do those who espouse racist views or even ignore the racism around them have some skin in that church shooting? Probably so. Do some who partake in BLM go to far? Most probably so. But just as Christianity is not at fault for the church shooting, BLM is not at fault for wrongs committed by some blacks. Only those who go too far or look away when they see others go too far have some skin in that game.

And sorry, but anyone who studied and understood American History would never doubt the need for the BLM movement. Period.

Good post man. I got three degrees at Duke... AFAM, History, and Religion, so a lot of this stuff is right in my wheelhouse:). Throw in a serious love of the Civil War and voila!:)

I deleted all my post on this topic. I didn't mean to hijack the thread. My bad guys have fun

About putting the keys on the dashboard. My instructor in the CCDW class I took told us if you get pulled over, the officer typically already knows that you have a CCDW license, but if you will put your hands out the window, turn in dome light if it's dark, an announce to him that you have a weapon, you will get a lot of respect from the officer. I've only been pulled over once since I got the license, but I did that and I could tell he appreciated. My brother in law is SWAT here and has told me some pretty frightening stories that police run in to.
In North Carolina we know but when issued one and we approach you have to have your permit or blue card on you and let us know where the weapon is at. I've seen people do what you said and people usually tell you ," I have a concealed weapons permit!"
Usually the ones who don't have the permit and seeing that NC is an open carry state, usually place it on the dash and let you know.

Sorry, it was Dallas, Houston was two black officers killed in an ambush my bag and you defend BLM that's fine. I have no problem with them but just because you read a mission statement don't mean they stand by it at least not every member. To think so is ludacris and by the way are you a member of BLM.
I've donated. I associate w/ 100s of people who are at least that involved.
I really don't have to defend them, just state facts. A mission statement is a factual statement about their official stance. Of course it doesn't guarantee 100% compliance, but blaming them b/c in a crowd of thousands that merely included BLM representation -- among numerous other groups -- a handful of people chanted offensive, threatening things is way, way further from fact.

But it's the same with whites.
Ugh. No. No, it really isn't. How many school shootings by how many White males and I still don't get looked at twice by security anywhere?

Every time racism is brought up it's looked back on white people. I might catch slack but I haven't done anything so does that mean it's ok for people to assume I might be racist for what other white people have done?
The best response to broad accusations of practically all White people is to consider it hyperbole, accept the flat-out, undeniable truth of it (dialed back from the hyperbolic extreme), and not rush to defend yourself. That goes a lot further toward demonstrating that you're an ally than missing the point in favor of defending yourself.

And give me an example when BLM has showed up outside of an officer related shooting? I only hear about them when that's in the news I mean unless I have missed it.
I already told you: their mission is to address mistreatment by the justice system, not address every ill facing Black people in America. It's just like Habitat for Humanity's building houses, not researching cancer cures.

I really don't care once again. My arguement is if they stand for " All people" why isn't their organization named that!
More than one person has told you that: this nation isn't living up to the promise of all lives mattering. Black lives have to really, truly matter before all lives matter, and that doesn't happen by ignoring how they are mistreated in favor of some pollyannish lie that we've already eradicated White supremacy from the structure of our country. You say, "Did you remember to pack your toothbrush?" because saying, "Did you pack all the things that matter?" doesn't help with the details that might be overlooked.

Reactions: bfort2223
I've donated. I associate w/ 100s of people who are at least that involved.
I really don't have to defend them, just state facts. A mission statement is a factual statement about their official stance. Of course it doesn't guarantee 100% compliance, but blaming them b/c in a crowd of thousands that merely included BLM representation -- among numerous other groups -- a handful of people chanted offensive, threatening things is way, way further from fact.

Ugh. No. No, it really isn't. How many school shootings by how many White males and I still don't get looked at twice by security anywhere?

The best response to broad accusations of practically all White people is to consider it hyperbole, accept the flat-out, undeniable truth of it (dialed back from the hyperbolic extreme), and not rush to defend yourself. That goes a lot further toward demonstrating that you're an ally than missing the point in favor of defending yourself.

I already told you: their mission is to address mistreatment by the justice system, not address every ill facing Black people in America. It's just like Habitat for Humanity's building houses, not researching cancer cures.

More than one person has told you that: this nation isn't living up to the promise of all lives mattering. Black lives have to really, truly matter before all lives matter, and that doesn't happen by ignoring how they are mistreated in favor of some pollyannish lie that we've already eradicated White supremacy from the structure of our country. You say, "Did you remember to pack your toothbrush?" because saying, "Did you pack all the things that matter?" doesn't help with the details that might be overlooked.
Well Dat, I'm simply gonna say this. I don't believe blacks are looked at different then whites. I simply don't. If you see people who treat blacks different then whites I'm sorry they are still stuck in the fifties or forties. But I can't speak for everybody and I'm not gonna sit here and say that one race isn't given the same opportunities as others because they are. I'm not gonna say blacks are treated different then whites where I'm from and I stay in the south. And I've been checked and looked at more then one time in different neighborhoods not by security guards I don't care for them any way. But we won't agree on this and that's fine you have your view I have mine that's what makes this country great. there is racism on both sides and I can make myself look good on camera to do something opposite behind doors. That's the truth.

Reactions: pisgah101
Well Dat, I'm simply gonna say this. I don't believe blacks are looked at different then whites. I simply don't. If you see people who treat blacks different then whites I'm sorry they are still stuck in the fifties or forties. But I can't speak for everybody and I'm not gonna sit here and say that one race isn't given the same opportunities as others because they are. I'm not gonna say blacks are treated different then whites where I'm from and I stay in the south. And I've been checked and looked at more then one time in different neighborhoods not by security guards I don't care for them any way. But we won't agree on this and that's fine you have your view I have mine that's what makes this country great. there is racism on both sides and I can make myself look good on camera to do something opposite behind doors. That's the truth.
It's great for you to treat individuals well regardless of race. It's negligent to assume that's how it plays out elsewhere.

It's great for you to treat individuals well regardless of race. It's negligent to assume that's how it plays out elsewhere.
I never said it didn't but let me as you this. Have you ever been in a neighborhood where your the different race? I'm not talking about the suburbs or a middle class neighborhood either. A place where you stick out like a sore thumb? I know people that support BLM and groups like it. But to say that one race is treated completely different then another is crazy. Although I agree due to history the past has shown that. Most these people have never seen or experienced poverty first hand. Most will never know racism but simply believe in the cause. Some will even say they give to a certain group just to pull that card.
I'm no racist don't know many people who are. I've experienced racism more then some but it doesn't stop me from becoming who and what I want to be. The minute we stop blaming and start doing and fixing issues then this nation will be great again.

I treat EVERYONE good as long as you treat me good. Not joking , I have thousands of friends from just about every walk of life. From drug addicts to Sheriffs and lawyers. Color, race, no matter. I will help anyone who needs help. I hate all these groups just out to cause trouble. Nazis, KKK, BLM, ANTIFA, THEY ALL SUCK. I think when these fools rally, rather than oppose, just don't show up. Nobody. Let them parade around. Pay no attention, give no media coverage. The media fuels this shit. Life can be so damn easy. Treat everyone fair, obey the law, honor your family. All these young people "exercising their rights" is about to kill me. Get your ass to work, get out of the street and act like you've got some GD sense.

I treat EVERYONE good as long as you treat me good. Not joking , I have thousands of friends from just about every walk of life. From drug addicts to Sheriffs and lawyers. Color, race, no matter. I will help anyone who needs help. I hate all these groups just out to cause trouble. Nazis, KKK, BLM, ANTIFA, THEY ALL SUCK. I think when these fools rally, rather than oppose, just don't show up. Nobody. Let them parade around. Pay no attention, give no media coverage. The media fuels this shit. Life can be so damn easy. Treat everyone fair, obey the law, honor your family. All these young people "exercising their rights" is about to kill me. Get your ass to work, get out of the street and act like you've got some GD sense.

1000 likes show!

I never said it didn't but let me as you this. Have you ever been in a neighborhood where your the different race? I'm not talking about the suburbs or a middle class neighborhood either. A place where you stick out like a sore thumb? I know people that support BLM and groups like it. But to say that one race is treated completely different then another is crazy. Although I agree due to history the past has shown that. Most these people have never seen or experienced poverty first hand. Most will never know racism but simply believe in the cause. Some will even say they give to a certain group just to pull that card.
I'm no racist don't know many people who are. I've experienced racism more then some but it doesn't stop me from becoming who and what I want to be. The minute we stop blaming and start doing and fixing issues then this nation will be great again.
I have almost daily experience as the rare White person. It's a tiny, tiny, insufficient, and temporary approximation of what many people of color experience throughout society.

No one said any race is treated COMPLEEEEEETELY differently.

It's all very well and good not to be a conscious racist. Most racism isn't overt anymore. If you're blind to, or in denial of how it still exists -- subtly but pervasively -- you're an unwitting pawn in its continuation.

If you can't or/and won't distinguish between all those groups you mentioned, you're not doing enough. It isn't enough for White people to be not racist on a personal level. We have to be actively anti-racist. Treating other people well if they treat YOU well is setting the bar too low. They need to treat others well, too, and shouldn't earn our respect until they do.

(And I held back...)

Reactions: bfort2223
Well Dat, I'm simply gonna say this. I don't believe blacks are looked at different then whites. I simply don't. If you see people who treat blacks different then whites I'm sorry they are still stuck in the fifties or forties.

It happens every day according to my black professor colleagues. These are intelligent people with no reason to lie to me or exaggerate. They aren't saying cops are following them around everyday or anything, just small comments or strange looks from store employees, that sort of thing... and sometimes cops follow them.

I hold prejudices myself towards the various races, including my own, so this doesn't surprise me. Nonetheless, I try every day to treat people fairly and not single anyone out. I am trying to overcome my tendency to use race as a convenient predictor of human behavior for obvious reasons, but it is kind of human nature. That's the best I can do.

Side note, I was treated poorly as a white kid at an 5% white school, so I know there are multiple versions of this too. I had many black and latino friends stick up for me back then, but it still felt like I was wearing a target for having light skin.

I have not experienced the same sort of anti-white racism in the workplace, something I think is wasaay more common for POC. I've been discriminated against when looking for jobs, but that's a bigger issue that is market driven. Racism is out there, but hoefully it will get better if class and geographical divides go away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dattier
If you can't or/and won't distinguish between all those groups you mentioned, you're not doing enough. It isn't enough for White people to be not racist on a personal level. We have to be actively anti-racist. Treating other people well if they treat YOU well is setting the bar too low. They need to treat others well, too, and shouldn't earn our respect until they do.

(And I held back...)
There is no reason to pretend that one hate group is worse than the other. We know that historically, black people have experienced far more disgusting acts of hatred. But we are told that remembering the past is the best way to improve the future. How can we improve the future when we endorse hate as long as it is aimed at the side we see fit based on our social/political views?

If we can't agree that hate and anger from ALL sides hurts progress, then we may as well call it a day. And frankly, this is all leading up to a larger conflict in this country and the protesters on both sides are nothing but puppets.

And with that, I do believe this post has run its course. Thank you all for keeping this relatively civil. This is probably the first time a post like this hasn't turned ugly. It actually gives me hope that as social issues arise, we may get a chance to vent again in the off topic setting (since we still have no lounge).

This is a basketball board first and foremost, I do know and recognize that. But in a lot of cases, this a "Cheers" bar for people on here, myself included. I personally come here before just about any other forum or website, so it does mean a lot to me to see us be able to discuss without outright infighting. Thank you for that and goodnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT