ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

DukefanKY

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 4, 2011
Central Ky
I hope that since no one has posted about this, that it doesn't mean we do not want to discuss it on this board. I think ignoring it is almost as bad as what is going on there, and I can't hold this in any longer....
What in the HELL is wrong with the idiots in this country?? What kind of brain malfunction makes a person think they are better than anyone who is not of their race? What happened to your dumbass as a kid to make you so STUPID? Why doesn't the government step in and throw the military at these stupid, ignorant, sick people. When this story broke, I was in West Virginia on the trip I went on. I was sitting at the hotel restaurant having breakfast with the other 3 guys that went on the trip. I am white, they are all 3 black. I lost my appetite sitting there watching this crap. I have a confederate flag on my arm that I got 32 years ago when I was 18 years old.
I have never had the opinions that these idiots do. I was just a proud southerner and to me, the flag just represented being southern. Every since I watched the movie "a time to kill", I have wanted that flag off of my arm. I have tried to get it covered, but everyone I have gone to says it can't be covered. My brother and cousin are tattoo artists and try say the same thing. Everytime I wear a short sleeve shirt I feel like I have to explain myself.
This Charlottesville stuff pisses me OFF.

This country has GOT to grow a pair and do the right thing. Show that we will NOT tolerate this type of behavior. It really wouldn't be hard to do. Surely.....hopefully these people are highly out numbered??

If you share these supremacists opinions and I have offended you....TOO BAD

And I wonder about this.....watching ESPN and seeing pictures of these people, most have on sunglasses. Would they be ok if they knew a black person assembled them and now they are touching their face? Are they sports fans? Have they ever cheered because a black running back in their favorite team scored a touchdown? Or hit a game winning 3? If their waitress is black, so they still use the fork she gave them?

I am betting the answer to all those questions is yes and they are ignorant hypocrites

Reactions: Tlass
@DukefanKY, brother I hear you loud and clear. It is truly a sad time, Just when I have hope that the hatred has began to clear up, I get reminded that there is still so much work to do. Thanks for having to guts to start this thread my friend... ps Im a black man, and this sickens me to have to explain to my 11 yr old son. We teach character as a way to chose friends, not color. I hope something is done to these creeps and done swiftly.

And I gotta say this too....in my opinion, this is worse than 911. When 911 happened, it seemed like it brought this whole country together. There was no race, there was no upper, middle or lower class divide. Well....in 911, someone else came to America and did this to us...in Charlottesville, WE are doing it....isn't that worse?

And I wonder about this.....watching ESPN and seeing pictures of these people, most have on sunglasses. Would they be ok if they knew a black person assembled them and now they are touching their face? Are they sports fans? Have they ever cheered because a black running back in their favorite team scored a touchdown? Or hit a game winning 3? If their waitress is black, so they still use the fork she gave them?

I am betting the answer to all those questions is yes and they are ignorant hypocrites

Good man .....I am sure you are teaching him that these are ignorant people and not to allow himself to fall into that trap of "us against them"

The citizens of this country really need to educate themselves regarding nationalism, fascism, the Nazis, and eugenics. They go hand in hand and America will never be great until all are flatly rejected.

The citizens of this country really need to educate themselves regarding nationalism, fascism, the Nazis, and eugenics. They go hand in hand and America will never be great until all are flatly rejected.

I was at a bar here in my town a few years ago. It's patrons are mostly middle aged white people. One night a guy outside made a comment " I thought this was a cool place, but I didn't know there would be so many "N" words here.
Actually there were only two black people there and they were friends of mine....members of the house band. I went inside and got them to come outside. I asked the man if he wanted to make the same comment now....I just wanted to see if he had the courage to do it. I mean he was acting so big and bad and confident about it....nope.....got in his car and left. Never seen him there again. I counted it as my contribution to cleaning the place up a little bit!!

Not sure you can lay the blame all on one side. I do not believe in anything the white group stands for except that they have the right to assemble and peacefully demonstrate.
I may be wrong but I think quite a few of the Soros backed agitators decided to come to town and
object to the demonstration. They also have that right.
From what I read the police decided to funnel one group into areas where the other group was assembled.
The police had 3 weeks to prepare for this. The liberal Govenor puts all the blame on one side. I believe the police had a responsibility to keep the groups separate, arrest anyone who got out of line and to close streets around the protest.
As for the 20 year old Nazi killer I think he should either get the death penalty or life in a prison with a large minority population.
As for blaming Trump for the death that would be no different than blaming Bernie for his supporter shooting the softball playing Congressman many months ago.
BLM groups can demonstrate. No reason why this white group cannot do the same thing.

acc hoops, we will have to agree to disagree.....I think a demonstration or a March that's purpose is to promote hatred and race supremacy should be illegal and NOT a right, and punishable by jail time.

That I agree with. Why would any rally promoting hate be condoned in this country? Did they know these groups were going to show up or did they think just ordinary white people opposed to the removal of the statue we're going to protest? It is possible to disagree with taking down the monuments and not share the same beliefs as the nationalists, neo's and the Klan.

This won't end well....and all of us need to realize we're being played by both 'sides', from white nationalists, to BLM, to ANTIFA....and let us not forget the lovely media. It fills us with anger, irritation, and hate, and causes of to make quick opinions without seeing all sides.

Not sure you can lay the blame all on one side. I do not believe in anything the white group stands for except that they have the right to assemble and peacefully demonstrate.
I may be wrong but I think quite a few of the Soros backed agitators decided to come to town and
object to the demonstration. They also have that right.
From what I read the police decided to funnel one group into areas where the other group was assembled.
The police had 3 weeks to prepare for this. The liberal Govenor puts all the blame on one side. I believe the police had a responsibility to keep the groups separate, arrest anyone who got out of line and to close streets around the protest.
As for the 20 year old Nazi killer I think he should either get the death penalty or life in a prison with a large minority population.
As for blaming Trump for the death that would be no different than blaming Bernie for his supporter shooting the softball playing Congressman many months ago.
BLM groups can demonstrate. No reason why this white group cannot do the same thing.

The only reason I fundamentally (not legally) disagree with you about these groups' right to assemble is that they are spreading the beliefs and actions of groups that historically are deemed war criminals or perpetrated actual illegal acts. The KKK as a group, not just individuals are responsible for the deaths or injuries of thousands of US citizens and Neo-Nazis claim the beliefs of war criminals that are still being prosecuted to this day. Because of that, it seems a bit odd that they are allowed to demonstrate as a group like that, but they are American citizens and that right is given and protected. Doesn't feel right, but that's not how the laws work. You just hope that some positive change can occur after this and that those people weren't injured and killed for nothing.

Things like this that cause people to associate the Confederate flag with racism and bigotry. A shame. These men could use this time effort to promote and encourage souls to the love of Christ and kindness, but instead provoke others out of hatred and cruelty. This is no way to for a human to be.

That I agree with. Why would any rally promoting hate be condoned in this country? Did they know these groups were going to show up or did they think just ordinary white people opposed to the removal of the statue we're going to protest? It is possible to disagree with taking down the monuments and not share the same beliefs as the nationalists, neo's and the Klan.

Its a very slippery slope, from scumbag white nationalists promoting racial hate, to scumbag blm members promoting police hate. Fact is if the media didn't cover it we wouldn't have nearly as much to worry about because these groups would be allowed to assemble peacefully which the constitution guarantees them without having to worry about protesters to the assembly showing up and escalating a situation. If the white supremacists had been allowed to have their rally in a peaceful fashion and then go home like our constitution allows then none of this is even being discussed. And in addition once "hate speech" and "hate aasembly" is outlawed it open Pandoras box to all kinds of future censorship. Bottom line Pray for hearts to change.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Crazyduke3 its so much easier fill your heart with love than hatred. The 1st Amendment is a tool for hate groups and so called human rights groups to spew their hatred.

Reactions: sheyduke
It's aweful, and we all need to denounce racist behaviors.

I don't mean to seem insensitive to those who lost their lives and were severely injured yesterday, and I mean this respectfully, but it has nothing on 911. Again I don't mean to argue, yesterday was a shameful moment for us, and we need to all come together and stop that kind of thought out...but let's also never forget the scope, horror, pain and loss of life on 911.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
Cowards, straight up cowards. We are all immigrants in some kind unless you are a Native American. We were built as the "melting pot." I simply do not get where all the hatred is coming from. Extremely disappointing and frustrating for someone who is raising a child in this day and age.

It's aweful, and we all need to denounce racist behaviors.

I don't mean to seem insensitive to those who lost their lives and were severely injured yesterday, and I mean this respectfully, but it has nothing on 911. Again I don't mean to argue, yesterday was a shameful moment for us, and we need to all come together and stop that kind of thought out...but let's also never forget the scope, horror, pain and loss of life on 911.
I get what you are saying. My point was that it's one thing for another country to do what they did. I can see where one country has hate or issues for another...but when it's coming from inside our own, that just makes less sense to me.....sort of like getting jacked at an ATM by a stranger is bad....but if it is your own family member....to me that's even worse

This is what happens when the majority of a population do not care about history or are taught revisionist history. We have ignored the hatred in this country since its inception, it has festered and taking hold like cancer.

I hear you and sorry for taking away from your thread.

QUOTE="DukefanKY, post: 11201075, member: 33226"]I get what you are saying. My point was that it's one thing for another country to do what they did. I can see where one country has hate or issues for another...but when it's coming from inside our own, that just makes less sense to me.....sort of like getting jacked at an ATM by a stranger is bad....but if it is your own family member....to me that's even worse[/QUOTE]

I hear you and sorry for taking away from your thread.

QUOTE="DukefanKY, post: 11201075, member: 33226"]I get what you are saying. My point was that it's one thing for another country to do what they did. I can see where one country has hate or issues for another...but when it's coming from inside our own, that just makes less sense to me.....sort of like getting jacked at an ATM by a stranger is bad....but if it is your own family member....to me that's even worse
[/QUOTE]

No, I get your point as well. That date was incredibly tragic and should never be lessened by any other event. I just hate that we are killing each other....we have enough enemies outside our own country. You are not taking away from the thread and your opinion is just as important as anyone else in here

.... If the white supremacists had been allowed to have their rally in a peaceful fashion and then go home like our constitution allows then none of this is even being discussed.

The problem here is that Friday night, they weren't planning a peaceful demonstration. Their original plan was actually to go to a Black church nearby the statue where a BLM preacher was speaking and cause (to paraphrase) havoc, destruction and chaos. That's one reason of many why so many counter protestors showed up. One of the nationalists was actually quoted as saying they wanted to burn what they could. The police and counter protestors (not ANTIFA) came to protect the members of that church.

My thoughts…

They should have the right to assemble. This is the United States of America. The first amendment gives you that right.

Comparisons between the black lives matter movement and the neo Nazi white power movement show ignorance . The black lives matter movement, if you look at their website, is almost entirely about love, inclusion, and peace. Many people get confused, but by simply calling it the black lives matter TOO movement, you get a little bit more what they're aiming for… It was a reaction by black AND white Americans to the fact that there were so many of killings of black Americans by law enforcement officers on the like, and nobody ever did jail time, and many Americans feel there is something wrong in the system, something connected to race, which is supported in some part if you look at the numbers of our legal system … And this wasn't new for black Americans, it's been going on for decades, the only difference now is everyone is seeing it, including white people, because of social media and iphones. Don't for a second think that all of this is new: black Americans of been facing this for years, and have been shouting from the rooftops about it…

That said, the people who largely "used" the Black lives matter movement to commit crimes, incite violence, and worst of all commit violence are just as disgusting as any of these right wing nut jobs, and even more so when they act.

Trump should have come out and named radical whites as the problem at UVA, not tried to straddle the fence because he was worried about offending elements of his base. That was cowardly.

I applaud the local leaders, who came right out and said these people are disgusting.

I have complete faith that the vast majority of whites in America are not racist, and similarly that the vast majority of blacks are not racist.

A lot of people could learn a lot by having honest conversations with people of other races. I speak with a group of young black man basically every night socially… The stories they tell, and the experiences that theyve had in our nation, are distinctly different than my experiences as a white man, and they are constant, persistent, and undeniable. I am always amazed by people who seem to be in denial about this, or seem threatened by this (like somehow what other people are fighting for will cost them) or seem to not understand the long lasting impact subtle daily racism has on people.

Let's not forget this is a Duke forum. The mission of Duke University is to educate and connect. If you are a fan of Duke basketball in anyway that matters, you should be interested in that as well, and it should be possible to have serious discussions and disagreements without it getting nasty, assuming nobody posts blatantly racist stuff :) Sometimes disagreeing with people is how we learn best . I truly do appreciate the moderators allowing this conversation to happen, as long as it is within the rules of this forum...

Last edited:
I ask the moderators why is the discussion of the horrible event at Charlottesville appropriate for this website, when the earlier discussion of Colin Kaepernick was deemed by a moderator to be inappropriate? This is not and should not be a forum for the expression of individual non-sports related sociological or political opinions, whether right or wrong, especially when those opinions come from non-experts who have no knowledge of what actually occurred except what is reported in the biased media. As for BLM, one need only consider their mantra, "Pigs in a blanket, watch them burn!" There are websites where such opinions may be appropriately expressed. This is not one of them, and I do not look forward to this website becoming a mini ESPN. A person does not have the right to burden others with his or her opinions whenever they want, wherever they want, or to whomever they want.. Many of you do not seem to understand that the First Amendment does not guarantee free speech. It simply protects speech from government attempts to control or to limit it. So, I object strongly to attempts to highjack this website by those who want to air their opinions on non-Duke sports matters to many of us who do not give a flying f%^k about what they have to say. This thread exceeds the legitimate scope of this website and should be closed, before more moronity is exposed on it. Hopefully, mine will be the last to suffer exposure.

I'll defend to the death White supremacists' Constitutional right to assemble, march, petition, speak, etc. Counter-protesters were exercising the exact same Constitutional right.

The comparison of White supremacists to BLM is outrageously ignorant.

This is not and should not be a forum for the expression of individual non-sports related sociological or political opinions, whether right or wrong, especially when those opinions come from non-experts who have no knowledge of what actually occurred except what is reported in the biased media. As for BLM, one need only consider their mantra, "Pigs in a blanket, watch them burn!"
Speaking of no knowledge and being wrong...

The Lounge has been out of commission for a long time. Sports, social issues, and politics have always intersected. Aversion to such topics is usually more about our maturity in discussing them, not whether they are appropriate on a sports message board where other OT threads exist w/o raising any eyebrows.

I ask the moderators why is the discussion of the horrible event at Charlottesville appropriate for this website, when the earlier discussion of Colin Kaepernick was deemed by a moderator to be inappropriate? This is not and should not be a forum for the expression of individual non-sports related sociological or political opinions, whether right or wrong, especially when those opinions come from non-experts who have no knowledge of what actually occurred except what is reported in the biased media. As for BLM, one need only consider their mantra, "Pigs in a blanket, watch them burn!" There are websites where such opinions may be appropriately expressed. This is not one of them, and I do not look forward to this website becoming a mini ESPN. A person does not have the right to burden others with his or her opinions whenever they want, wherever they want, or to whomever they want.. Many of you do not seem to understand that the First Amendment does not guarantee free speech. It simply protects speech from government attempts to control or to limit it. So, I object strongly to attempts to highjack this website by those who want to air their opinions on non-Duke sports matters to many of us who do not give a flying f%^k about what they have to say. This thread exceeds the legitimate scope of this website and should be closed, before more moronity is exposed on it. Hopefully, mine will be the last to suffer exposure.

I think that is a bit silly, and a bit over dramatic;) Adults can discuss a lot, and in the off season of a sports forum, discussing current events seems natural. On a Duke forum in particular, I think such communication and discussion is natural. I might posit that it would be better to allow people to discuss the events in the world (events which certainly have an impact on both our lives and the lives of the athletes we cheer for) and then, if you are not interested in reading it, simply don't click on the post. Hijacking avoided!:)

I do think you need to do some research, though... I've never heard that mantra connected to Black Lives Matter. Some quotes from their website, their actual mantras, seem in fact to run completely counter to that:

"We are committed to collectively, lovingly and courageously working vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension all people."

"We are committed to practicing empathy; we engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts."

"We are committed to embodying and practicing justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another."

I think you may be confusing Black Lives Matter, an actual organization that many people, black and white and Latino, belong to, one with roots in the peaceful protests of the Civil Rights Movement and Women Rights Movement, with random angry racists hiding behind a social movement, spewing hate and committing crimes. I support the Black Lives Matter movement, because black lives DO matter... the vast majority of my friends support it... I've met many, many people who support it... and all tend to be people who believe in love and support, and all support our law enforcement... in fact, three are cops. I've certainly never wanted pigs to fry, and I've never heard anything even remotely like that said by anyone I know. As I said, you might be off base.

And you never know... there might be some experts here:).

Last edited:
Reactions: Dattier
I'm racially mixed so I really don't get into these convos.

DukieinKy on the question about your tattoo. Is there color in it? If the scheme is fading or just how old the tat is it can be covered over I've had a couple removed and on cover up.

If you want it removed badly do the laser removal I recommend had to have some done you barely can tell any were there and on the cover up depending on the ink used it has to be a cross dark ink used to do it with a deeper needle set to cover the actual lines.

I'm racially mixed so I really don't get into these convos.

Why not, Shey? Black and white? Seems like, if that is the case, you'd have a lot to contribute, and maybe some of us could learn a bit from you...?

Why not, Shey? Black and white? Seems like, if that is the case, you'd have a lot to contribute, and maybe some of us could learn a bit from you...?
I'm half white half Native American( my mother is Native American ) my view points are different. Racism exist because we as a whole allow it to and not just from one race or the other.

I am in Law Enforcement so I have an opinion from that perspective, I grew up in a rough neighborhood so I have that perspective. The media, magazines, books, television, radio shows all do no justice on this topic.

If we as a people got so angry over education, wages, poverty imagine how this country would be all on the same page but yet here we are in 2017 still fighting over things from the fifties and way before that.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Dude, if I may say, I would love to hear your opinions from all of those perspectives. I love hearing from people with different experiences than me. That's how you learn.

Dude, if I may say, I would love to hear your opinions from all of those perspectives. I love hearing from people with different experiences than me. That's how you learn.
As far as being racially mixed I've experienced racism to the fullest from both sides directly and growing up in NC but being from the west coast is a cultural shock coming here.
I believe in the constitution and the founders of this great country. However many misinterpret the constitution and turn what is their right to a crime in a minute. In Law Enforcement you have to tote a strict line with the constitution however it's the same way for those who attempt to use it for chaos

Couldn't you just choose not to read it and stick to basketball related threads?

Reactions: bfort2223

That was a whole lot of discussion for someone who didn't want to discuss it!!

If the mods want to close this thread, they obviously do not need my permission or approval to do so. I will hold no ill feelings about it, and like has already been said, I appreciate them allowing those of us who are passionate about this issue to discuss is as long as we did. It will probably be a dead thread by tomorrow anyway. As far as you not giving a flying f%^k about it and asking that the readers here not be burdened with it, I would just suggest that maybe the continuing discussion after you forbid it, means that maybe there actually ARE some people here who want to get others perspectives. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

No lounge + important topic = it stays up right now. The whole situation is dying down and we'll lock this when necessary but so far the discussion has been very fair and appropriate and any inaccuracies have been discussed. I don't see a problem and the difference between this and the Kaepernick thread you brought up is that the thread in question went from 0 - 100 pretty quickly. The context isn't why it went away. The activity is why.

Sorry @Devilinside this is up a little longer. Please feel free to hit the ignore button on any of us or this thread. I promise that way, we won't burden you any longer.

My hometown ... The news/media/ social/ whatever is the biggest problem in the world imo..nothimg but cancer...too many people see,believe, assume,carry out so much from what this cancer spreads ... and makes things so much worse!! ..sad.. just so a lot of people know, the majority of hate came from out of state.both sides were wrong! Imo..I don't agree with removing the statue either but it could have been protested better and for the anti protesters y'all were way worse imo.. just unbelievable..2nd biggest problem is people have became way to sensitive .(both sides )..for the neutral people in between like myself it sucks and Affects us everyday negatively because of this .and sooner or later we'll be peer pressured to chooce a side ...its coming! This is just the start imo and will get worse..god bless and forgive..I blame Obama ..sure there was racism but not like now !!BLM was the last straw.. Nowhere close imo.. not from me or my opinion but the whites have just gotten tired of the catering/sensitivity/ opportunities / excuses/ attention/bs/pity the minority's are demanding! from what I ve heard and slightly agree..If ur not as good as the other you shouldn't be given any better opportunity then the other based on race ! And having to worry about somebody calling you racist in whatever the situation is .In this world now race is everythinng! My buddy said he would rather be black then white these days just based on opportunities minority's get ...that's what's happening ..everybody isn't getting treated equal on both sides..both sides have reason to protest ..just a messed up world now.both sides aren't getting treated equal imo.stupid.the race card is being abused..and dumb white people are ruining it for the rest of the whites! Ughhh that's all..why people are trying to relive the past is beyond me ..But at the same time trying to erase it ! Can't have it both ways! And these dumb lowlife resnecks are about as clueless as they come ! So much I wanna say just pisses me off! Move on!!!!! People!!!!! God bless

Last edited:
No lounge + important topic = it stays up right now. The whole situation is dying down and we'll lock this when necessary but so far the discussion has been very fair and appropriate and any inaccuracies have been discussed. I don't see a problem and the difference between this and the Kaepernick thread you brought up is that the thread in question went from 0 - 100 pretty quickly. The context isn't why it went away. The activity is why.

Sorry @Devilinside this is up a little longer. Please feel free to hit the ignore button on any of us or this thread. I promise that way, we won't burden you any longer.

Thanks dukehokie for your open minded outlook

I know people won't like this thread being up, we may even lose some posters because of it, and that's ok, but I would like to give people the opportunity to vent on this very tough subject. It's worth it. We don't have a lounge and that is totally out of our hands. Therefore this is still around to give a chance to vent. Like I said, it will be locked and deleted soon, but for now let's stay civil and feel free to discuss and educate where necessary.

My hometown ... The news/media/ social/ whatever is the biggest problem in the world imo..nothimg but cancer...too many people see,believe, assume,carry out so much from what this cancer spreads ... and makes things so much worse!! ..sad.. just so a lot of people know, the majority of hate came from out of state.both sides were wrong! Imo..I don't agree with removing the statue either but it could have been protested better and for the anti protesters y'all were way worse imo.. just unbelievable..2nd biggest problem is people have became way to sensitive .(both sides )..for the neutral people in between like myself it sucks and Affects us everyday negatively because of this .and sooner or later we'll be peer pressured to chooce a side ...its coming! This is just the start imo and will get worse..god bless and forgive..I blame Obama ..sure there was racism but not like now !!BLM was the last straw.. Nowhere close imo.. not from me or my opinion but the whites have just gotten tired of the catering/sensitivity/ opportunities / excuses/ attention/bs/pity the minority's are demanding! from what I ve heard and slightly agree..If ur not as good as the other you shouldn't be given any better opportunity then the other based on race ! And having to worry about somebody calling you racist in whatever the situation is .In this world now race is everythinng! My buddy said he would rather be black then white these days just based on opportunities minority's get ...that's what's happening ..everybody isn't getting treated equal on both sides..both sides have reason to protest ..just a messed up world now.both sides aren't getting treated equal imo.stupid.the race card is being abused..and dumb white people are ruining it for the rest of the whites! Ughhh that's all..why people are trying to relive the past is beyond me ..But at the same time trying to erase it ! Can't have it both ways! And these dumb lowlife resnecks are about as clueless as they come ! So much I wanna say just pisses me off! Move on!!!!! People!!!!! God bless
You blame our only Black President for the perceived rise in racism... Huh. I would have thought the rule of personal responsibility dictates that racists be responsible for racism, but hey, it's your hometown.

Maybe your equal condemnation of White supremacists and people who want equality will bring them all to the table to discuss this politely.

Reactions: bfort2223
I know people won't like this thread being up, we may even lose some posters because of it, and that's ok, but I would like to give people the opportunity to vent on this very tough subject. It's worth it. We don't have a lounge and that is totally out of our hands. Therefore this is still around to give a chance to vent. Like I said, it will be locked and deleted soon, but for now let's stay civil and feel free to discuss and educate where necessary.
Thanks.
Could it eventually be locked but not deleted? It's nice having a record.
Sorry on already breeching civility for snark. I'll behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT