ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Answer the question correctly, Give the next question. No cheating.

Awesome answer to another terrific trivia question Sky, I hadnt thought of!!! You are correct! (must have been 1st day off ever in tourney history!!??)

Ok here's a hint on my answer though, and it really is a by-product of the day off that year, because of special arrangements for national television...

Well I'm gonna guess at this one and say it was broadcast by CBS because of some kind of thing CBS had going that year on Sat. night. OFC

So close Sky....It was broadcast by ABC that year, but thats good enough for me friend! Btw, Keith Jackson called game w/Bill Russell on commentary! Billed as ABC "Wide World of Sports Special"

You're up friend-

OFC

Art Heyman's # 25 was retired in 1990. Only 4 Duke players have worn #25 since Heyman left Duke and one of them wore #25 after Heyman's # 25 was retired. Name the four players and why the one player was allowed to wear #25 after it was retired. If you need a hint I will give only two but not tonight. Start guessing. OFC

I know Mark Crow wore #25, plus Gary Melchionni. Grey Wendt wore it also. OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Hi ya Heyman! Melchionni was terrific in the early 70s, and Crow had some great moments later same decade! Both could shoot the rock...Wendt one of early recruits of a VERY EARLY K class that included Jay Bryan, Todd Anderson, and Bill Jackman IIRC.Transferred after freshman yr...

OFC

Jackman came in with Dawkins/Bilas and company. Jackman has said in hindsight he wishes he would have stayed. Maybe Duke beats Louisville with his services. You never know.

It would make sense that it was someone on the 89-90 team that already had the #25 before Heyman's number was retired. Brian Davis perhaps?

Jackman came in with Dawkins/Bilas and company. Jackman has said in hindsight he wishes he would have stayed. Maybe Duke beats Louisville with his services. You never know.
Jackman came in dubbed "the next Larry Bird," by some scouting folks...Expectations really hurt the kid- he was a year prior to the vaunted class of Dawkins, Henderson, Alarie, Bilas and Weldon Williams...

OFC

Jackman came in 1982. Here's a little write-up straight from goduke.com, "He landed a recruiting class in 1982 made up of Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, David Henderson, Jay Bilas, Bill Jackman and Weldon Williams. It was rated one of the nation’s best and put Duke on the map to stay." A trivial matter, really, especially when you consider he had very little impact to our program. But I do like to clarify details like that.

Jackman came in 1982. Here's a little write-up straight from goduke.com, "He landed a recruiting class in 1982 made up of Johnny Dawkins, Mark Alarie, David Henderson, Jay Bilas, Bill Jackman and Weldon Williams. It was rated one of the nation’s best and put Duke on the map to stay." A trivial matter, really, especially when you consider he had very little impact to our program. But I do like to clarify details like that.
I stand corrected DD, thx... I just TRY to go on memory whenever possible on this trivia...I am still doing that here when I guess he transferred to Nebraska??? Wendt who transferred (another who wore #25) went to Detroit U i believe...

OFC

I know Mark Crow wore #25, plus Gary Melchionni. Grey Wendt wore it also. OFC

You are correct on those three but I thought you would have gotten the last player to wear 25 right off the bat. OFC

It isn't my turn and this isn't part of the trivia game, but I vaguely remember a kid in our program I think early 70's.

He was Marco _______. Pretty sure Italian. :)

Help me out ....

It isn't my turn and this isn't part of the trivia game, but I vaguely remember a kid in our program I think early 70's.

He was Marco _______. Pretty sure Italian. :)

Help me out ....

Polo. It was Marco Polo. His problem. He was always traveling.:D OFC

Reactions: dbav
You are correct on those three but I thought you would have gotten the last player to wear 25 right off the bat. OFC

It is called "getting old", sky! Ok, who did Roger Maris hit his 61st homer off of in 1961. So easy. OFC

I knew it would be too easy for you, sky! Next up with your question. OFC

Mike Gminski was 16 years old his first day of classes at Duke. He finished high school early although he was on many college coaches radar he wasn't a real high recruit. The G-man prior to his commitment he went to a basketball camp where a former Duke player was there helping with the camp and he and the G-man became friends. That player had a big influence in Gminski coming to Duke. Who was that player. This should be easy but I will give a hint anyway. G-man wore his number. OFC

He's thinking of Marco Bonamico, who Bill Foster "recruited" to play at Duke...Was scheduled to enroll, but played foreign ball in pros...

OFC

Good question, Sky I was just fortunate to have heard it...Terry locked up a game in Cameron at Duke against Lefty's boys w/ couple clutch ft's late in '76...

Name a Duke golfer who also played quarterback while at Duke??

OFC

Heyman thats a great answer...He was a receiver and kicker for sure- don't know if he played qb....great answer regardless...not the one I am thinking of in this case...

However Souchak is one our most famous to ever play golf and another sport at Duke!

OFC

The ex Duke golfer who also played qb during his Blue Devil career saw his most extensive action under Mike McGee in '71....

OFC

Dennis Satyshur was the QB/golfer.

Marco Bonamico signed with Duke the same class as Gminski. He was a power forward who was good enough to play for Italy in the Olympics.

The Italian pro league had a rule that limited teams to a maximum of two non-Italians. The summer before Bonamico was scheduled to arrive in Durham, they ruled that Italians who played college ball in the U.S. would could as one of those two non-Italians.

Bonamico stayed home.

Now, here's the question. Duke brought in Kenny Dennard, Gene Banks and Jim Suddath in the following recruiting class. Would Duke and Banks still have worked if Bonamico was already at Duke, a class ahead? Banks and Dennard? Who knows?

Interesting dynamic would have been at work Jim!! Satyshur the man of course...part of that '71 team that went 4-0 out of the gate..

OFC

Dennis Satyshur was the QB/golfer.

Marco Bonamico signed with Duke the same class as Gminski. He was a power forward who was good enough to play for Italy in the Olympics.

The Italian pro league had a rule that limited teams to a maximum of two non-Italians. The summer before Bonamico was scheduled to arrive in Durham, they ruled that Italians who played college ball in the U.S. would could as one of those two non-Italians.

Bonamico stayed home.

Now, here's the question. Duke brought in Kenny Dennard, Gene Banks and Jim Suddath in the following recruiting class. Would Duke and Banks still have worked if Bonamico was already at Duke, a class ahead? Banks and Dennard? Who knows?

We'll never know for sure but I think so. I believe Banks would have been more of a small forward which would have given him a better chance of developing a better outside shot and would have made him a better pro. Dennard with his team first attitude would have been great coming off the bench. OFC

Here's another Duke football question.

1. He is a former Duke asst. football coach.
2. He played professional football for 9 years and was the first tight end taken in his draft year.
3. He is a member of the college football hall of Fame.
4. His college football coach also was the head football coach at Duke. OFC

Reactions: harttochesson
Thx Sky, just lucky...Name the coach (and his team) who predicted the Duke mens hoops team would fall to Villanova in the '78 regional championship final? (Devils whipped the 'Cats of course and advanced to St Louis!)

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT