ADVERTISEMENT

Official game day thread- Duke vs Cuse

They are a bubble team yet again. They seem like they are always a front court guy short of being a really good team. The guards are good, but they need help.

When this team gets multiple players, touches on offense, they are so much more effective. Whenever it is the first guy with the ball past half court that shoots it, they are almost terrible. This was clear just in this game. It also doesn't hurt when they make thier threes.

I think the question with this team is, can we survive a bad night from 3 against good teams? We will see. But a nice 3 game stretch. Flip staying out of foul trouble is also a must. If we get this Mitchell going forward that clearly helps.

They are a bubble team yet again. They seem like they are always a front court guy short of being a really good team. The guards are good, but they need help.
Do you think Starling is a good guard? His stats: 43% FG, 69% FT, 27% 3s, assist/turnover ratio 1.3

Next up at Notre Dame Saturday. Let's get that first road win. Next 5 look winnable. Pitt(2x), Louisville, GT.

Reactions: Quavarius
Man, that's a bubble team in what the ACC was 5 years ago.

Now that's a team that needs to win like 8-10 straight to sniff the bubble.

Reactions: christophero
And that's the problem with where the ACC is right now: There are so many league games and so few opportunities to get "good" wins.

Syracuse has 17 ACC games left and I'd throw a rough estimate that 6 of them are Quad-1s; and 4 of the 6 are on the road. Their best non-conference win is against an Oregon team that doesn't look like anything special.

They were definitely hoping to beat us. But their board is a good one; they don't like Duke but they don't pathologically hate them either. I grew up in NY. We used to have a summer cabin near Ithaca so I have a soft spot for the Cuse. I also ran at the Carrier Dome in college.

Last edited:
Missed the game last night due to having to walk around a Botanical garden looking at Xmas lights in the freezing cold...be that as it may....watched a replay and the deflections, steals and defense looked very much like the Duke of old..add in the 3 barrage and that was a vintage Duke win! Long may it continue..( the 2014 Boeheim flashback made me feel old since i was there...2014!!!! where did the time go! )

Reactions: tanisus and Th0r
Sometimes it just comes down to recruiting. Flip is an upstate NY guy; put him on Syracuse and they probably win.

Chris, did you run cross country or track in college?

I have a passion for competitive long distance races now (5Ks, 10Ks, 1/2 marathons, Obstacle Course Races such as Spartan). Was never a runner in high school or college, but now it’s how I stay competitive along with playing pick up basketball.

Chris, did you run cross country or track in college?

I have a passion for competitive long distance races now (5Ks, 10Ks, 1/2 marathons, Obstacle Course Races such as Spartan). Was never a runner in high school or college, but now it’s how I stay competitive along with playing pick up basketball.
I did both at St. John's. Our season went September to May, unlike those lazy basketball players lol. I don't run anymore but I like to hike. My town has some big hills. My knee hurts if I jog too much. I do the treadmill or bike/light weights at the gym as well. That's great that you do that! My New Year's goal is to eat better and lose 10 pounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullcity gamer
I did both at St. John's. Our season went September to May, unlike those lazy basketball players lol. I don't run anymore but I like to hike. My town has some big hills. My knee hurts if I jog too much. I do the treadmill or bike/light weights at the gym as well. That's great that you do that! My New Year's goal is to eat better and lose 10 pounds.

I hear you on the knee issues, I have a partial acl tear in my left knee since 2022. I treated it with physical therapy and the knee doesn’t bother me with my daily activities. The older we get, the harder it is to keep those pounds off haha. I like your resolution, you can definitely get there Chris. I’m in the same boat cleaning up my diet so I can be at my best for the races I have lined up this year, I am going to try to make it to Nationals in the Spartan 5K Sprints or 1/2 Marathon Beasts.

Thank You Chris, the community Spartan and races bring together is what draws me to them. Everyone is there for their own reasons and are supportive of one another.

I was at SJU during the Boo Harvey, Jason Williams, Malik Sealy years. Wow the Spartan races sounds like fun. It can be encouraging to work out in groups. We lost to Duke in the sweet 16. I was icing my knee in the training room when Harvey came up to me reading the paper. He asked to see it, as it was about the Duke game. 90 maybe? He said "we should have won." I did not tell him I was rooting for Duke. :) Harvey was Big East player of the year but did not play well vs. Duke. He was fun to watch; was listed at 6-0 but only 5-10 or so. He had a pretty bad knee that year too, was limping around the training room. Saw him play in high school vs Rod Strickland in the NYC championship.

Last edited:
I caught the second half of the Pitt UNC game last night. It was sloppy to say the least. Pitt has a long front court, and UNC will be a tough out for anyone in the ACC this year. It would be nice to go into that Clemson, Va Tech, UNC stretch with a head of steam. But anything could happen.

I took up running later in life, now I run daily and completed 2 ultra's last year. I have a 50 miler on the todo list for 2024. Finding the time to train is almost as hard as the actual runs! Knees and ankles are still holding up!

I caught the second half of the Pitt UNC game last night. It was sloppy to say the least. Pitt has a long front court, and UNC will be a tough out for anyone in the ACC this year. It would be nice to go into that Clemson, Va Tech, UNC stretch with a head of steam. But anything could happen.

I took up running later in life, now I run daily and completed 2 ultra's last year. I have a 50 miler on the todo list for 2024. Finding the time to train is almost as hard as the actual runs! Knees and ankles are still holding up!
Unfortunately, the AlaninNJ Travel and Ticket fund has now become the AlaninNJ Ticket fund, as you can clearly just run to whichever venue your good juju is needed for a Duke victory. Apologies.

Reactions: AlanInNJ

Alan, major respect to you. Those ultra runs are no joke, 100 milers, I have no idea how you knock them out! I’ve heard horror stories of Marathons and runs longer than Marathons, some bowel system issues, no thank you! I will stick to my 1/2 marathons and less haha.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
Not to derail the gameday thread, but to be clear, but ultras last year were 32 and 35 miles. I have aspirations to do a 50 miler this year. Agreed, 100% the folks who do 100's and beyond are otherworldly! I'm 55 years old, so I tend to be on the older side of most running groups, but I do okay. :)

Reading up on Notre Dame. Just beat Virginia by 22, so a capable team. Their freshman PG Markus Burton was a 3 star, ranked 88th on 247. He is averaging 16 a game. Funny how these guys fall through the cracks sometimes. He looked like Roach when he gets hot against Virginia; he can really get to the hoop and finish. They have another guard JR Konieczny who can really stroke it, at least against the Hoos. They went up 13-0 on Virginia. Will be another big step for this team to get the road win.

Last edited:
It's early, but it does seem like a year in ACC play where anyone can beat anyone on any given night. As long as the other higher level teams take a few lumps too, we should be in the thick of it near the end, and that works for me!

ND was raining threes against the Hoos. Tough to beat anyone on a night like that. Hopefully they cool off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT