ADVERTISEMENT

Okay let’s talk the UK vs Duke game

jchammock

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 17, 2006
Most people remember me so like so many others say, I come in peace. LMFAO

What are your predictions about this game? I think both teams are very talented and it could go either way.

Both teams had players that both of our coaches recruited. That to me makes it more fun just to see how the game turns out.

Me personally, I don’t have a clue. Just hoping everyone can give their predictions and who thinks might start.

Just friendly banter please.

Reactions: pisgah101
Obviously, either team can win this game, and if they played 5 times, I doubt either wins all 5. With all that said, I look for Barrett and Zion to have big games and for Bolden to hold his own in the paint. I think Duke wins it. I am a little concerned about the health issues that Cam and Tre have, and the practice and exhibition play they are apparently going to be missing. With them at full strength and not missing any time, I think we win by double digits. As it is though, I think it will be a very competitive game, and I give Duke the edge for having the more talented starting 5. Ky is deeper though, so some foul trouble for us could be too much to overcome. I just wish we were playing later in the year when both teams have had time to become what they will be.

Reactions: jchammock
Are the Kentucky fans really that unpleasant that you have to come here to discuss your team?
No, I love our fans but I actually like talking to other fanbases to get their opinions.

If you only talk to your own then all you get is one side. I actually like all opinions. It’s better for conversation and you can actually learn from it.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Obviously, either team can win this game, and if they played 5 times, I doubt either wins all 5. With all that said, I look for Barrett and Zion to have big games and for Bolden to hold his own in the paint. I think Duke wins it. I am a little concerned about the health issues that Cam and Tre have, and the practice and exhibition play they are apparently going to be missing. With them at full strength and not missing any time, I think we win by double digits. As it is though, I think it will be a very competitive game, and I give Duke the edge for having the more talented starting 5. Ky is deeper though, so some foul trouble for us could be too much to overcome. I just wish we were playing later in the year when both teams have had time to become what they will be.
I think it’ll be close, really a toss up. But I don’t see a double digit win by either team.

I got to say I think Kentucky has the edge with experience and has about the same amount of talent. We have K, so there’s our edge. We have guys injured at a crucial time in my opinion. I hate to say it but, I don’t have a lot of confidence in winning, barring some lucky or surprising stuff. You thought I was going to say lose??!!! Hahaha

I'm in the minority here. I have come to respect Cal. He gets the one and dones to play MTM defense which Duke has not been able to do yet.

Having said that, it's tough to beat a good Coach K team early in the season. 2 years ago we almost beat Kansas in the Garden even though we had injuries and weren't ready to play together. I'll take Duke because of the guy we have sitting on the bench.

Reactions: youngman42
If the teams are fairly even on paper, then you have to give the edge to Duke. We have K and they have calipari.

Not concerned about the game, it’s in Indianapolis. Last I checked, Duke has 3 titles there, and Calipari can’t figure out how to close out a final four game there.

What I am concerned about is does anyone have the Ryerson scouting report??

I got to say I think Kentucky has the edge with experience and has about the same amount of talent. We have K, so there’s our edge. We have guys injured at a crucial time in my opinion. I hate to say it but, I don’t have a lot of confidence in winning, barring some lucky or surprising stuff. You thought I was going to say lose??!!! Hahaha
Injuries suck and I don’t wish them on anyone. It’s a couple months and God willing, your guys will be at full force.

I just want a injury free game with two blue bloods going at it.

I love games like this.

When you have 5 out the first 10 threads on your board about Duke, with a 2 page and 5 page going, I would say you may be on to something lol.
I don’t obsess on anything but UK basketball. I’ve stopped watching pro sports.

I just like talking to other fans. I actually enjoy it. You actually get a different opinion. To me, that’s pretty cool.

Reactions: -BBH-
Two of our starters are hurt and not playing with the team in Canada. I think Kentucky wins by 6 or 8.

What are your predictions about this game? I think both teams are very talented and it could go either way.

Both teams had players that both of our coaches recruited. That to me makes it more fun just to see how the game turns out.

Me personally, I don’t have a clue. Just hoping everyone can give their predictions and who thinks might start.

Duke by 7

Reactions: jchammock
Two of our starters are hurt and not playing with the team in Canada. I think Kentucky wins by 6 or 8.
I’m not sure about that. Your starters should be healthy come the game.

My personal opinion is, toss a coin up and it’ll be within 3 points.

Reactions: hart2chesson
With freshman....you just never know how they will play early on and both teams are filled with them. And this is November...game 1...not the be all end all. In basketball...anything can happen on any night when 2 great teams play against each other.

Coaching Advantage goes to Duke
Starting 5 goes to Duke

Depth goes to Kentucky
Experience goes to Kentucky

The game in November really only matters for seeding...not really telling on where either team will be by March. Honestly, I'm more interested in how we play against Kansas in Late-January.

I think in the first game...depth and experience will be the edge for November for Kentucky. I think with Reid Travis, Washington, Green, and Richards...we just have more known commodities that will be ready for that game on the big stage...which will help our other freshman being able to have people to follow. Freshman generally turn the ball over a lot and aren't up to speed on defense early on...which can lead to foul trouble. The depth will help us because early season guys aren't in game shape yet.

What happens if Tre Jones gets 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes? What if Zion has 4 fouls with 10 minutes to go? Not to mention they will be a bit tired going against a very athletic team in Kentucky...who has 4-5 high quality players they can bring in fresh off the bench at any time.

1 HUGE advantage you all will have...you kind of know who your 5 starters are and have a more clear rotation with defined roles. Kentucky has too many options...and we really aren't sure who will play what minutes. That may not help in November because of the injuries keeping your guys out...but by March that is what will give you guys a large edge.

Once again...this game in November has no bearing on what kind of teams these will be in March. I expect both teams to be 1 seeds. Louisville and DC both host regional finals...so I think that will give each team a big advantage to get them to the Final 4. Hopefully we do our part (unlike 2010 and 2015 when we choked) and are able to have that big tournament matchup for the first time in 40 years.

I don’t obsess on anything but UK basketball. I’ve stopped watching pro sports.

I just like talking to other fans. I actually enjoy it. You actually get a different opinion. To me, that’s pretty cool.
I don't remember saying it was you that's obsessed. I think my post was in reference to QC post. No need to defend yourself unless you're here on behalf or RR and not yourself. I haven't been posting long, but reading for a very long time. I respect how you handle yourself on dukes board. Always brought great conversation.

I don't remember saying it was you that's obsessed. I think my post was in reference to QC post. No need to defend yourself unless you're here on behalf or RR and not yourself. I haven't been posting long, but reading for a very long time. I respect how you handle yourself on dukes board. Always brought great conversation.
Cool. It’s that simple. Have a blessed day.

I tend to agree.

Only thing that gives me pause is R.J. Barrett. I think he's a special, special talent, and that coupled with his apparent hyper-competitiveness... he's capable of putting up monster numbers in this game, and it could end up being a "Hello, world" type of thing.

I'm not saying I expect that--not fair to put that on the guy. I'm just saying he's capable and it wouldn't shock me if something like that happened.

I would bet I’m a bigger Kentucky fan whenever you play UNC than you are.

Duke-Kentucky game? I don’t want to even venture a guess who wins this one. Two young talented teams. Best team in Nov. wins.

I can’t see where you see the same amount of talent. Duke has the more high end NBA potential talent at the top but then there is a big drop off. UK 1-9 seems to be pretty level talent wise on the other hand. The preseason games will help both teams though that’s for sure.

This will be a different coach K team where he has no top level Vet to help the young players along and on paper it’s his worse shooting team he has ever had. This will likely be his worse overall defensive team as well. I knows fans don’t want to hear it but freshmen have a learning curve especially on defense as last year showed. Bagley, Carter jr and Duval struggled on that end even though they were known as pretty good defenders in H.S and are taller and longer at their position than these freshmen.

I still expect duke to be good by years end but early in the year I suspect they take the young player lumps like last years UK team. Offensively I think RJ and Zion come out more than ready though, not so high after watching Reddish since his Sophomore year. He is more skilled than RJ and Zion but for some reason his motor runs either warm or cold, he seems uneffected if he gets scored on instead of getting upset and going at he other players neck on O and shitting him down on D (RJ does that which makes him special) and Reddish has no problem being a fourth option and just being a JAG on the floor even bough he has the ability to be he MAN

I think UK wins due to more overall balanced talent BUT wouldn’t shock me if Duke wins due to RJ and how he beat the USA team when the talent gap was much bigger than it will be in the Duke Vs UK game so basically he’s the X factor imo

I can’t see where you see the same amount of talent. Duke has the more high end NBA potential talent at the top but then there is a big drop off. UK 1-9 seems to be pretty level talent wise on the other hand. The preseason games will help both teams though that’s for sure.

This will be a different coach K team where he has no top level Vet to help the young players along and on paper it’s his worse shooting team he has ever had. This will likely be his worse overall defensive team as well. I knows fans don’t want to hear it but freshmen have a learning curve especially on defense as last year showed. Bagley, Carter jr and Duval struggled on that end even though they were known as pretty good defenders in H.S and are taller and longer at their position than these freshmen.

I still expect duke to be good by years end but early in the year I suspect they take the young player lumps like last years UK team. Offensively I think RJ and Zion come out more than ready though, not so high after watching Reddish since his Sophomore year. He is more skilled than RJ and Zion but for some reason his motor runs either warm or cold, he seems uneffected if he gets scored on instead of getting upset and going at he other players neck on O and shitting him down on D (RJ does that which makes him special) and Reddish has no problem being a fourth option and just being a JAG on the floor even bough he has the ability to be he MAN
That’s kinda what I meant, we're more top heavy, they’re more deep, so if you combine the both, the talent level is about the same. If you want to go by just (pure high end talent) NBA or whatever we have more. If you want to go by (overall) talent they have more. Imo it evens out. With each teams edge going either way, in terms of winning. And I’m saying this with very very very little knowledge of their team. One teams enough to keep up with. The rest of what you said “no comment”

Last edited:
I gotta ? for you. Who’s the more talented team?

Last edited:
I would say Duke has the more talented starting 5, but ky is deeper with more overall talent, which could be a huge factor is there are players in foul trouble. Starting 5 though, I think we are better at at least 4 of the 5 positions

Welcome sir. I would like to see Duke play in this Canada trip before I give my thoughts. Mainly, I would like to see if RJ is that much better (special) than everyone else on the court. If so, I give the edge to Duke.

that's the problem, you're not gonna SEE the Duke team that will play UK on this Canada trip.

I 100% Guarantee , we look WAY different with and without Tre running the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT