ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- Duke vs Iowa

The thing about Flip is none of his shots are actually bad shots. His spin move I agree he needs to play face up and look for the open man . I also think him and Lively being put on the bench for those couple of minutes wasn’t for rest but a teaching point .

We will be alright. We got a TEAM this year. We got just as good of a chance as any other year to make a splash. We can’t shoot a lick but what’s new lol

I don't have any problem with Flip at this moment. In the beginning it was all about him and Roach because none of the guys were playing well and he had to do alot. In my opinion, he still has that in his mind but think he will slowly scale it back a bit as the others progress as they are doing now.

Reactions: sheyduke
I love Young but 25 minutes might be too much for him. Maybe 20 minutes, but Lively needs to toughen up a bit. Maybe that will happen this year. Lively did look good against OSU. Young's toughness has bailed us out several times. Mitchell playing like that helps.

Last edited:
I think you leave Young at 25 minutes until Mitchell or Lively can show they can help in multiple games. I’ve always been a Mitchell fan and would like to see him continue to go to the basket. Young is just doing what’s been asked of him and has literally earned every minute he’s on the floor.

No doubt Flip felt empowered by his early games and the coaches are reluctant to dial him back. Hopefully he'll figure out what he does best and eliminate the rest, i.e., the dribble spin in the lane which usually results in a fast break the other way.

It must feel good to be able to get a decent shot anytime you want like Flip can. I never knew that feeling. I was never open!
Flip is a legit 6'11, plays next to a 7'1 center, 6'8 sf/wf and a dog for a pg with a loaded bench that favors him. He can shoot wherever he wishes. He gets good position for rebounds. He has no pressure.

What Young has already provided this season was more than I expected. Shulman said it the other night: we lose to Oregon St without Young.
However, I believe that the ceiling of this Duke team will be Young playing 15-18 minutes and Lively playing 18-22 minutes. Need 5 or more minutes of small ball Flip at the 5 IMO when the offense boils down.

Young has incredible footwork, but has anyone noticed he turns over his left shoulder every single time, he really only has 1 move. He will be thoroughly scouted (Iowa was ready for his move), but regardless: his offensive rebounding is enough to garner minutes. Lively needs to figure out how to be more productive and stay on the floor longer.

What Young has already provided this season was more than I expected. Shulman said it the other night: we lose to Oregon St without Young.
However, I believe that the ceiling of this Duke team will be Young playing 15-18 minutes and Lively playing 18-22 minutes. Need 5 or more minutes of small ball Flip at the 5 IMO when the offense boils down.

Young has incredible footwork, but has anyone noticed he turns over his left shoulder every single time, he really only has 1 move. He will be thoroughly scouted (Iowa was ready for his move), but regardless: his offensive rebounding is enough to garner minutes. Lively needs to figure out how to be more productive and stay on the floor longer.
Great Points. Young must be able to pass out of a double team and hit free throws. His talent is something few teams have. Lively is young, so he needs to develop what Young already has.

Young is my favorite player. I said this summer that he and Lively should split about 20/20 at the 5, and I still think that. Hopefully Lively comes on and gives us more than Casey Sanders production. (Not an insult, Sanders was a McDonald's AA and saved us in 2001 when Boozer went down) I think he will, but his lack of strength limits his ceiling this year. Lively is foul prone, which most freshman bigs are. If Lively can give around 20 minutes and be close to the guy he was against OSU, he and Ryan and Flip and Mitchell are a very good frontcourt, possibly a FF team.

Last edited:
Young is my favorite player. I said this summer that he and Lively should split 20/20 at the 5, and I still think that. Hopefully Lively comes on and gives us more than Casey Sanders production. (Not an insult, Sanders was a McDonald's AA and saved us in 2001 when Boozer went down) I think he will, but his lack of strength limits his ceiling this year. If Lively can give around 20 minutes and be close to the guy he was against OSU, he and Ryan and Flip and Mitchell are a very good frontcourt, possibly a FF team.
I really like Young. The only thing I think he needs to work on, and this may sound odd, is his footwork. He overdoes it, shuffles his feet, then looks at the refs like "what did I do?"
All in all, he's a plus to the team. Even shows some leadership. Saw him getting onto Whitehead, which is a good thing.

Reactions: christophero
Young is my favorite player. I said this summer that he and Lively should split about 20/20 at the 5, and I still think that. Hopefully Lively comes on and gives us more than Casey Sanders production. (Not an insult, Sanders was a McDonald's AA and saved us in 2001 when Boozer went down) I think he will, but his lack of strength limits his ceiling this year. Lively is foul prone, which most freshman bigs are. If Lively can give around 20 minutes and be close to the guy he was against OSU, he and Ryan and Flip and Mitchell are a very good frontcourt, possibly a FF team.
If Lively never turns the corner and we are forced to play Young around 25 mpg come Feb and March. Do you think this team has a realistic chance at the Final 4?

It is soooo long until March. I don't think Young will play more than 18 minutes a game during the season. I suspect Lively will overcome some of the fouling but will remain limited on offense (as I have not seen much offense in his HS highlights either).

Maybe Reeves will play some. Maybe Flip will play some center once Whitehead earns more minutes and Mitchell remains too good to bench. I do not remember a team with so many possibilities (and maybe moving parts that require possibilities?).

It is soooo long until March. I don't think Young will play more than 18 minutes a game during the season. I suspect Lively will overcome some of the fouling but will remain limited on offense (as I have not seen much offense in his HS highlights either).

Maybe Reeves will play some. Maybe Flip will play some center once Whitehead earns more minutes and Mitchell remains too good to bench. I do not remember a team with so many possibilities (and maybe moving parts that require possibilities?).
This I can get behind as our best chance at being great if Lively doesn’t figure out how to be a winning college basketball player this season. Slide Mitchell up to the 4 and Flip to the 5, we would be much harder to guard. However for that to be most effective, we need Whitehead to be lethal at the 3 (he’s getting closer.) Also, why not roll Reeves out there for a few minutes?

I am not sure why Jon has been so insistent on staying big and keeping one of Lively/Young in the game at all times. It is pretty clear Mitchell would be most effective at the 4 too. A lot of options, not a bad problem to have.

Reactions: christophero
Lively will get better. The question is how much better. He wasn't out that long. If we can stay injury free I see us as a 3 or 4 seed with as good a shot as anyone. It is good we beat Iowa. Virginia might be the only ranked team left for us, although UNC will probably be ranked when we play them.

We know that ACC teams will play their best when they play Duke. Just the way it is.

I don't want to get too down on Lively. He's got a great attitude, he's fast and long, and he'll do some damage just on that alone. He's just not on the level that Mark Williams was last year and I don't expect he will be this season.

Lively seems like a great kid, and will be a pro. But he has 4 months left at Duke. so I really hope he can make big strides before then. As a non NBA fan upside means very little to me, unless he is returning.

Reactions: JimboSlice00
Guys , you really need to pump your breaks on Lively. The scout reports all said his offense was always going to need work and he did a lot of his scoring on lobs and put backs . His defense is what he was known for and his offensive potential. A lot of posters didn’t expect much from Lively on the offensive end before the season started. What needs work alot is his timing and his ability to rebound and hold on to the ball when coming down with it . A 7 footer not rebounding well is not a good sign .

Rewatching the Iowa game. Some thoughts.
1. Roach really looks great. Playing with a lot of confidence.
2. Proctor with 2 nice early buckets. He sees the floor very well.
3. I'm watching Young. Even when he doesn't score, he's always putting a body on guys. Nice guy to have off the bench.
4. Wow Mitchell is really long. I'm guessing if he goes to the combine the NBA will like his measurements. Mitchell is really good at getting to the hoop. I imagine the NBA guys have him on their radar.
5. Whitehead with a really nice behind the back dribble and kiss off the glass.
6. Lively has won me over. He plays hard and has a super positive attitude. He just needs to get stronger.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT