ADVERTISEMENT

Next years minutes

There have been very few players that have came through Duke that weren't high character kids. The only two I really didn't care for and wish they had never commited to Duke were Taylor King and Jalen Johnson. Taylor because he just had so many issues and Johnson because he used us. He should have just went overseas or the G-league. He really never wanted to go to Duke or any other program. He msy indeed had an injury but I feel he could have played. He just quit in my opinion. OFC
Almost scared to ask but was his hero really Spicolli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Reactions: skysdad
Great post.Really brings back the chills of him initiating the Wisconsin comeback, and ultimate title!!! As K said post-game, prior to inserting Grayson 2nd half: "We were dead in the water."

Grayson came in and went after it like a shark didn't he???!! BTW, heard his wife was a real looker! OFC
Google his wife In the USWL now. Played for Duke. Worth a minute of your time

Reactions: hart2chesson
I was watching the 2015 title game in a bar. When we went down 10 and Winslow or Oakafor got their 4th I turned to my buddy and said "well they had a good run." I think it was an and one for Frank the tank. Then we came to life. That team was tough as hell. That was a great, experienced Wisconsin team we beat.

We sound like Shooter from Hoosiers talking about the good old days. We did just make the final four.
Exactly. I get it. I'm of two minds of late. The doom and gloom comes from who we lost to. However, those assholes did blow the biggest championship lead in history and lose. So, it eases the pain of it all for me. I also think the pendulum will swing our way soon enough.

I think we are talking about having players stick around longer than one year. To me that was the best time to be a Duke fan.

Maybe Keels will return, we will know for sure tomm. But it seems like us getting our backcourt back is too good to be true. It happens at other schools. People want to come to Duke, but not stay at Duke. For every Mark or Wendell there are at least 4 or 5 who leave. We've lost like 14 guys in the last 2 years if Keels leaves. That is a lot of turnover. Jon will have his hands full next year.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Maybe Keels will return, we will know for sure tomm. But it seems like us getting our backcourt back is too good to be true. It happens at other schools. People want to come to Duke, but not stay at Duke. For every Mark or Wendell there are at least 4 or 5 who leave. We've lost like 14 guys in the last 2 years if Keels leaves. That is a lot of turnover. Jon will have his hands full next year.

It sucks. But we're a roll away in '18 from the FF and a missed defensive assignment from one in '19. '20 was covid and that team had a great shot too. This year we won the regular season championship and went to the FF. Who we lost to makes it suck more. And even with all the turnover we're still one of the most successful and consistent programs in CBB.

Reactions: christophero
Never said Duke Basketball will be done, just the excitement of returning players is fading each an every year. If Keels don’t return Coach Scheyer will have his hands full next year. He still might even if Keels does return. But best case right now is for Keels to return and add a big in portal. But it’s definitely hard not see 4 years from Redick, Williams, Hurley, Laettner and the list goes on.

Never said Duke Basketball will be done, just the excitement of returning players is fading each an every year. If Keels don’t return Coach Scheyer will have his hands full next year. He still might even if Keels does return. But best case right now is for Keels to return and add a big in portal. But it’s definitely hard not see 4 years from Redick, Williams, Hurley, Laettner and the list goes on.
That's how most are acting though.

Reactions: sheyduke
Hopefully Keels returns
I think we have a decent shot at getting him back. We're going after another experienced guard and a low post guy with experience in the transfer portal. We know are needs. We get Keels back and add those two needs, we're in business.

But he has said he is NOT reclassifying. He did not qualify that, unless there is a quote which I don't know about.
It’s in an article I read last week where he said it’s not off the table but as of the moment he still staying in 2023. I’m not computer savvy as some so I’ll see if I can find it and post it.

It’s not just Duke loosing players . I get ours leave to go pro some transfer but atleast we aren’t have four to five guys leave every year in the portal . I think Capel at Pitt has the award for most transfers under a head coach . Duke will be fine .

I guess we need to get prepared. The transfer portal can help though I think.
I’m seriously hoping there are a couple in the portal who aren’t scared to compete for minutes . That works good in Dukes favor

I’m seriously hoping there are a couple in the portal who aren’t scared to compete for minutes . That works good in Dukes favor
We're going after guys hard in the portal. So, this week is probably going to be a rollercoaster of emotions for our fan base.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Guess we will know by the end of today. I really hope we get one guy back. Not sure why AJ had to wait until the last day if he's lottery. Would be nice to get AJ back; but that is highly unlikely. Hoping for good news from Keels. Roach will be playing with 4 new guys if Keels leaves. Is what it is I guess.

Guess we will know by the end of today. I really hope we get one guy back. Not sure why AJ had to wait until the last day if he's lottery. Would be nice to get AJ back; but that is highly unlikely. Hoping for good news from Keels. Roach will be playing with 4 new guys if Keels leaves. Is what it is I guess.
Guys that are going lottery just don’t come back. Due to injury or another inconsistent year too much risk. Keels and Roach there’s a real shot. With Williams big guys just don’t have the lengthy careers smaller guys generally do. Greg Oden Sam Bowie. Too much injury risk. But if Trevor and JR come back Sheyer can build a damn good team next year imho

I expected AJ to announce yesterday and then Roach announcing was a bit odd. I think Keels might be gone now. I don't know what changed. Because everything I was hearing led me to believe Keels was back. AJ is definitely gone.

I asked a few weeks back who would be the Duke guy who would wait until the very last day to announce? Well we have two ha. Also Love is deciding today, which does affect us.

You mean like every other week?
Haha, yeah man. Look, it sucks. I get why Banchero, Griffin, and Williams left. Those are lottery guys, (well, Mark is fringe lottery), and you can't leave that money on the table. Roach was never getting drafted so he will return. Keels is on the edge of being a first rounder and Moore is in the first round. I think they both should've come back, especially Keels. But, they're getting information we're not seeing I guess. The transfer portal could be very kind to us I think though. So, I am hoping we get some good news there soon. We do have a good crop of young guys coming in. Whitehead and Mitchell are ballers. Flip and Lively need some help down low. Hoping that need is solved soon. And we will have a healthy and determined Baker. Baker for all the flaws in his game is dedicated to the program and I love him for it.

Transfers are hit and miss though. Theo was coming into a great situation; an established big (Mark) and Banchero who was a day one stud. We didn't need that much from him. Would much rather get Keels back than a transfer.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Transfers are hit and miss though. Theo was coming into a great situation; an established big (Mark) and Banchero who was a day one stud. Would much rather get Keels back than a transfer.
So would I. Sadly, I think what I thought was a sure thing has suddenly become less of one. I would've put money on Keels coming back based on the info I was getting. Things definitely turned around quick though. Also, we're going after some stud transfers, fyi.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT