ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Week Traditions

dukiejay

Mar 2, 2005
Minneapolis
As a college basketball fan, this is a pretty fun week for me. I have to imagine there are many others like me who have some traditions they follow throughout the week, too, right?

I do an NCAA fantasy players draft with some friends on Wednesday night (this is our 20th year). On Thursday, I meet some old work buddies at the local watering hole and binge on basketball all day. Friday is a different watering hole with different friends. Then on Saturday there's a group of about eight of us who do wings, a fish fry and drink all day. In-between all of this I try and do a little work....although I can safely say this is my least productive week of the year.

Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
Great thread. Tradition is taking to my 3 kids to tourney games in NY or Charlotte(family there). We attend Duke practice, eat dinner at fav spot and then pull kids out of school for tourney game on Thurs or Fri. Let's just say my children were downtrodden after seeing Pitt as Duke destination.

Thursday is vacation day and kids will fly off school bus for 245p tip! Friday spend day with brother & friends at local watering hole.

Reactions: germantondevil
I go somewhere in Nevada (Vegas, Reno, or Tahoe) with my dad. We bet on basketball and sit in the sports book for four days. I leave for Vegas Wednesday night.

Ever do any good?
Sometimes. My dad usually does better than me. In 2010 I hit a $70 5-leg parlay.

My dad is a big KU fan, so one year I decided I’d bet a bunch of money on KU so we’d both have a reason to cheer them on. I bet $1,000 on KU against Wichita St. at -1 or even (can’t quite remember). Well, KU lost and that was probably my worst trip and his too.

We used to do an interoffice pool, but that stopped a few years ago as every office in town wanted to get involved and we didn't have the time to run it.

As it turns out, now I have an awesome boss (me) who gives me this Thursday and Friday off every year.

Sometimes. My dad usually does better than me. In 2010 I hit a $70 5-leg parlay.

My dad is a big KU fan, so one year I decided I’d bet a bunch of money on KU so we’d both have a reason to cheer them on. I bet $1,000 on KU against Wichita St. at -1 or even (can’t quite remember). Well, KU lost and that was probably my worst trip and his too.

Man it's good to see you back FTB. You post shows how much you were missed. OFC

We used to do an interoffice pool, but that stopped a few years ago as every office in town wanted to get involved and we didn't have the time to run it.

As it turns out, now I have an awesome boss (me) who gives me this Thursday and Friday off every year.

My boss is really cool, too. Maybe they know each other? :D

Reactions: dbav
Work. When you are an SID, you don't have the luxury of taking this time of year off. But I love the combination of no home games this weekend and us playing on Thursday at 145 (I am at a little college that has an ok basketball alum, The Chief. on another note, the NCAA just told us they are finally recognizing his stats). Needless to say, I have test my new wireless card and streaming at the softball field Thursday at 1:45 on the docket...

We're actually starting a new tradition this year. A new brewery opened here at the end of last year. One of the owners went to Indiana and the other Clemson. They are huge college basketball fans. My father and I are meeting there at noon tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: dukiejay
Got into Vegas last night. Went to Bellagio to place some bets for today. Stopped at a $1 Wheel of Fortune slot machine on the way back. Got three “spin” logos. Got to spin the wheel on top. Landed on the highest number possible. I won $2,000 (in the first hour I was here). Later in the night I sat down at a Blackjack table and bought in for $300. 20 minutes later I colored up for a $1,000 chip. Up $2,700 and I’m here to mainly bet on basketball. I gave my dad $500 to gamble with so we’re both playing with house money. I’ve got $500 on KU -13.5. Starting out really good this year.

Got into Vegas last night. Went to Bellagio to place some bets for today. Stopped at a $1 Wheel of Fortune slot machine on the way back. Got three “spin” logos. Got to spin the wheel on top. Landed on the highest number possible. I won $2,000 (in the first hour I was here). Later in the night I sat down at a Blackjack table and bought in for $300. 20 minutes later I colored up for a $1,000 chip. Up $2,700 and I’m here to mainly bet on basketball. I gave my dad $500 to gamble with so we’re both playing with house money. I’ve got $500 on KU -13.5. Starting out really good this year.

I would love to be there just for the weather. I've still got snow in my yard...

I passed a kidney stone at 4:30 this morning, I hope like hell that doesn't become a tradition! Go DUKE!

Oh my I've had those. I feel for you but at least you passed that sucker. I thought I was a man until I had one. No matter what position my body was in I hurt really bad. No meds could touch the pain. OFC

Oh my I've had those. I feel for you but at least you passed that sucker. I thought I was a man until I had one. No matter what position my body was in I hurt really bad. No meds could touch the pain. OFC
It was rough, but not as bad as I thought it might be. Luckily, I passed it fairly quickly. I had a ruptured disc 2 years ago that left me with a numb left foot, that was the worst pain I've ever experienced.

Reactions: skysdad
I buy an expensive bottle of champagne. I don't drink it unless we win. If we don't win, I save it until next year. There is a spot in my fridge reserved for it, and my wife hates it.

When I was 19 years I broke my ankle from a fall of about 50 feet. It looked as though someone had snapped my ankle in half and tried to twist it off from the rest of my leg. Too make a long story short I cannot describe the pain I was in. You would just half to experience it. They put me on morphine for a while. That stuff is awesome. I'm very thankful I didn't become addicted to the stuff but it's been 47 years and I still remembered how good it made me feel. Dr. told me then I would have problems all my life. I was a decent athlete but my right leg is 3/4" shorter now than the left. The little speed I had was cut about 25 per cent. my vertical went from average to about 12". I did play competive basketball and softball for a while but eventually I couldn't keep up. I was in a cast for 18 months on crutches. I did however become pretty strong in the shoulders and chest. My regular physician had x-rays made a few years ago and told me I had full blown arthritis in my right ankle and foot and it was the worst he had ever seen. The only pain med I took for all these years was the regular Tylenol, Advil etc. which really didn't help much. He put me on Hydrocodone which I only take when it really hurts and and sometimes it doens't touch the pain. Very blessed to be alive. I know my life was spared that day fro a reason. Very grateful and blessed.
Thanks for listening. to my story . OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT