ADVERTISEMENT

NC State

BlackKnightNut

Cameron Crazy
May 13, 2007
What are your feelings towards the Pack? My view is the enemy of my enemy may not be a friend, but it's nice to know there are those who hate them as much as we do. They even have go to hell carolina in their fight song haha.

Plus my dad went to State so they get cheered for when we don't play them...

What say you?

I grew up a State fan because my father went there. I pull for them anytime they're playing anyone but us.

Plus I have a ton of friends who went there so I'm with them watching State games fairly often.

Like show, I loved Valvano. Watch his famous ESPN speech if you haven't seen it recently. I'll just say "Green Bay Packers" and leave it at that...

Reactions: BlackKnightNut
I don’t recall much about Valvano because I was a baby when Valvano was coaching and 5 years old when he passed away. From everything I have watched about him, he was definitely a wonderful person and would have been awesome to be around. But for maybe the last 10-15 years I haven’t cared for NC State at all. Didn’t like Julius Hodge, or Dennis Smith Jr, and Kyle Washington all, but I would root the Wolfpack on every day and twice on Sunday if they are playing the holes, UK, or Maryland, but after that I don’t root for them.

I've never had a n issue with NCSU. Even back in the David Thompson says when they were kicking our rear ends their fans were still cordial but unc nation hated them and Norm Sloan. Just like that hate Coach K. OFC

Last edited:
My dad had a PE class with DT and was in the same grade. Always been his favorite player, and he insists that only DT and Laettner have any say about greatest player in ACC history. Laett was definitely the most clutch ncaa tournament player ever... DT beat UCLA with help from Towe and Burleson, effectively ending that dynasty but for one more year. Hard to choose haha.

Reactions: skysdad
I have to Admit, I've always pulled for the Pack unless they're playing Duke. I loved ol' Valvano.
I pull for all the acc teams when they play outside the acc-except for the holes. No way no how will I ever pull for them for any reason. State is a different cat, er wolf. I have always liked them. Covered them when they won the National championship in Greensboro. Pulled for them when they beat Houston. Love it when they beat the Holes in anything, because state hates the holes as much as Duke does. Valvano was a class act and good friend of K. Still remember him running around trying to find someone to hug when they beat Houston.

I’ve lived in Durham for most of my life, so I’ve always been well aware of the pack. I would definitely say I’m a fan, root for them in everything and always want them to have success. Obvious except against us. They’ve got a very passionate fan base, and they’ve suffered a lot this century. Like someone said earlier, I think they have their coach in Kevin Keatts. Their football team is doing all right as well, not sure if DD is the guy however. The pack are good people, and Trust me, their hatred for UNC goes far. Real far.

Last edited:
Never had any issue with them at all.....I won't go as far as to say I am a fan...I am only a fan of two college teams, but I probably would pull for them to beat anybody they play except us and Clemson
Yeah, I would really like to see Clemson go undefeated and win the natty. would be good for the ACC. And, I am not a great Clemson fan.

Got no problems with the Pack! Pull for them when they are not playing Duke! Plus they hate the cheats as much as we do!!!
OFC

Keatts is in a unique position that State coaches have not had the opportunity for since Valvano. Roy and K will be gone soon and the power vacuum could put State and Virginia in prime position to challenge the new coaches at both schools. Any other takers? FSU and Miami have athletes but their coaches are getting up there in years, too.

Reactions: Mac9192
I remember watching them when I was a senior in high school 1983 when they played Pepperdine in the Tournament. I think it was a late game and went to overtime. My ass was dragging at school the next day. I really liked that team. Hawkeye Whitney, Lorenzo Charles, and Thurl Bailey were pretty darn good. I don't care for them as much now, but I hope they kick the Holes ass every year.

I always tell people that NC State is my second favorite team after Duke because I grew up during the Jimmy V era and he’s always been my second favorite coach after Coach K. His ESPY’s speech is up there near the top as one of the greatest speeches of all time. I get chills every time I hear that speech.

I always tell people that NC State is my second favorite team after Duke because I grew up during the Jimmy V era and he’s always been my second favorite coach after Coach K. His ESPY’s speech is up there near the top as one of the greatest speeches of all time. I get chills every time I hear that speech.

I love the part where he messed up the line and accidentally said Green Bay packers!!

I'm a Heel fan but don't particularly hate State. I agree with above posters that the new coach could be very good. It seems they are due for some success. Ironically I know a lot here won't believe it but I actually like Duke football and pull for them unless they are playing the Heels. Main reason is because when I was a very young kid my parents were friends with a Duke football player from my neighborhood in Fayetteville in the 70s named Gary Pellam. His parents took me to several Duke games back then. He was a very good player and possibly could have went pro but he was very smart and went on to Med school and became a doctor. Lost touch with him years and years ago but he was much older them me anyway. Side note he was in High School on the same line as former all pro Marvin Powell at 71st High School together.

I have always liked the Pack, except when they play us. As as little boy around 6 or 7, I saw a NCSU game on TV in which I thought the mascot was cool. I declared to my brother I was a State fan. This was in the early 60's. Then I feel in love with the Devils watching Jeff Mullins and then Bob Verga. My daughter went to State but she remained a loyal Blue Devil the whole time.

I usually feel bad for them, because they end up sucking. But I also usually dislike them, because their team has a habit of beating us and then shitting the bed for the rest of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT