ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Kennard

It is impressive! He's doing a lot of good things...just hasn't started knocking down his shots yet. He made an incredible shot (contorted lay-up) that he got the hell knocked out of him yesterday and it wasn't called.

OFC

Even though Kennard has not found his "game" touch on his shot yet, he will catch fire @ some point in time, real soon! The great thing about him is he does the little things so well, he has a nose for the ball and understands what's going on around him. Really like this young man and glad he chose Duke! Soon, you will see why you like him too, and want him on the floor when it is all on the line!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

I'm really impressed with this class. The great thing is they will be around for a while as well.

Luke did a great job finding the right man in the end game scenario as well yesterday. Not nearly as easy as he made seem. Great composure in a pressure packed moment

Reactions: denniden
I really like the way the players are pumping each other up after a missed shot or a good shot. I like that group on the floor at the end of a game. They will make their free throws.

Kennard's shot looks good and he is doing other things on the court that are helping the team even though his shot isn't falling yet. I'm a bit surprised Matt Jones has been running back up PG to this point and I expect Kennard may be filling this role later once K trust him to make good decisions which he seems to be doing.

Kennard's shot looks good and he is doing other things on the court that are helping the team even though his shot isn't falling yet. I'm a bit surprised Matt Jones has been running back up PG to this point and I expect Kennard may be filling this role later once K trust him to make good decisions which he seems to be doing.

I think K-oach hit it on the head. He's doing other things on the court. I was scared it was going to be a Robocop aka Alex Murphy issue with this kid, outside of RS. He is doing other things to get pt. He's not Grayson or Matt, he's finding himself in this system with a great attitude. The talent may have just showed itself in HS and will take time for the skill to develop at the College level.

Right now it seems K is looking for the right combination of wings. This is the interesting part, because Luke is adjusting his game, he is able to stay on the floor a lot longer than others. Whether his shot falls or not, this kid will find a way, as of now, to stay in the rotation.

I like what I have seen from Kennard so far. He like the other freshman play with alot of confidence even they make mistakes. This Duke team really needed this weekend for confidence. As they get into conference play, I believe that this team will mesh play better together hopefully.

A lot of the shots he has missed have been in and out. They'll start going down soon, no doubt.

You gotta be doing something right for K to keep playing you when you aren't hitting anything at all. It's ironic that he came in with the rep of a shooter, and right now that's the only thing he's not doing well. But this slump will end.

Sweet Baby Jeebus; imagine when Brandon figures it out and Luke's shot starts falling...................................................................................................................................................................Sorry, got lost in thought! So much potential with this team. 4-1 against a strong schedule (last 3) and plenty of room to go. Oh, and Jeter. Look out Carolina! And by the way, GTH!
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say that with only a few posts. But I'm 52 and confused. That has to count for something.

A lot of the shots he has missed have been in and out. They'll start going down soon, no doubt.

This is exactly right. Like everyone else in this thread, I have little doubt that Kennard will find his shot this season, likely soon. He has a great stroke.

If Ingram also finds his place in the offense, this is a top-five team.

I think it says a lot about Kennard just with the confidence he's displayed despite those shots not going down. He hasn't let it rattle him mentally. That's telling. He's going to be a special player at Duke.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The other thing I haven't seen mentioned is we all know he can shoot even though they haven't gone in yet. You know other teams know the same thing so he becomes a floor spacer that leaves more room for driving lanes for Grayson and Thornton. Also Kennard handles the ball and drives pretty well himself so he poses a lot of problems just being the threat on the floor that opens up things for others.

I've noticed he is a very vocal and directive player...dare I say leader...at this point. Would love to see what he is like in practice. As the freshmen go... he has more awareness of where to be than the rest( and will let the others know if they are not). His shooting is not a worry...over all game speed at the college level probably has him out of sorts...when it slows down for him...you'll know as he'll probably throw 25-30 out of nowhere. I just very impressed with the other aspects of his floor game so far...He and Thornton are the two best over all right now.

This is exactly right. Like everyone else in this thread, I have little doubt that Kennard will find his shot this season, likely soon. He has a great stroke.

If Ingram also finds his place in the offense, this is a top-five team.
My wife says I have a pretty good stroke too........

Come on guys, I was talking about my jumpshot :rolleyes:

OFC

I'm really impressed by Luke. He really reminds me of Scheyer in the way he's able to play at his own speed and seems to just outsmart everyone, but he's more athletic and more of a natural scorer. I have a special feeling about this guy... There's obviously some good players so he doesn't get as much playing time, but I can absolutely see us talking about this guy as being one of the most important players on this team by season's end. He can be instant offense.

If that guy played for a team like Wake Forest, Illinois, or any other team that's not really stacked I really think he would be averaging 20 a game as a freshman.

Thanks fellas!
Back to Luke. What I find interesting about Luke is that in the first two games K ran screens to get him shots. He played a lot of point in HS. He worked to get his own shot. Shooting off screens was not his forte. However, a lot of people seem to think with the exception of the trey, he's limited with the ball in his hands. Luke said himself that they didn't run a lot of screens for him in HS.

I'd also like to say that I am very proud of him. He's shooting around 10%, but you'd never know it by his demeanor. I'm sure it bothers him internally a bit, but he plays through it. A mentally tough freshman. He gunna be guud!! OFC

Thanks fellas!
Back to Luke. What I find interesting about Luke is that in the first two games K ran screens to get him shots. He played a lot of point in HS. He worked to get his own shot. Shooting off screens was not his forte. However, a lot of people seem to think with the exception of the trey, he's limited with the ball in his hands. Luke said himself that they didn't run a lot of screens for him in HS.

I'd also like to say that I am very proud of him. He's shooting around 10%, but you'd never know it by his demeanor. I'm sure it bothers him internally a bit, but he plays through it. A mentally tough freshman. He gunna be guud!! OFC
POST MORE OFTEN!

Reactions: SwaggerJacker
Luke has all the intangibles that both Duke likes and that are successful. The areas of his game that will keep developing are his strength, his mobility in isolated 1v1's where he has to stop penetration and his ability to make decisions quicker. Where Luke is now is about right on the learning curve for freshmen. If his shot was/is falling this thread discussion would be much different.

Just image:
DT, Matt, Frank, Luke, hopefully Grayson and Tatum. That's just too good.

Luke can be special. And I think he will be. I can't recall a kid who has impressed me this much but yet can't make a thing right now. It's a testament to him.

He carries himself like a vet. I love his poise. He's going to breakout soon.

He may not be a breakout college player until junior year, but he know how to make adjustments, and has many fans on the board.

I think he'll breakout before his junior season. He's such a natural scorer and lets the game come to him. I still think he's going to be our leading scorer in some game this season.

Really looking forward to seeing the Ingram and Kennard I've heard so much about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT