ADVERTISEMENT

Keels

Keels looked like a stud last night. Great hops and jumper. He looks like a pro.
This is why I’m holding back my expectations until I see him against an opposing team. The plus note for Roach is that him and Keels have played in the same back court which will allow Roach to trust in his teammates more. I really like how Keels got on his self for the reach in on Johns and getting called for the foul it means he’s learning and adapting at this level at a good pace .

Reactions: christophero
I agree but Keels seems to have a much bigger upside than Steward. He's huge, can shoot and dunks with ease. Interested to see how he looks against Gonzaga and Nembhard.

I agree but Keels seems to have a much bigger upside than Steward. He's huge, can shoot and dunks with ease. Interested to see how he looks against Gonzaga and Nembhard.
He’s a big body but so was Moore his freshman year. I want to see can he hold his own against opposing guards his same size .

He’s a big RJ is a sg/wf who still struggled at times with guards at the top of the key. His best drives where done when a small forward or pf would attempt to guard him at the top. I’m not saying keep him in the paint . Let him do his damage where he’s best at which is 17 feet and in. This is college the guards are a lot bigger and stronger then high school. Just look at Baylor’s guards last season. I don’t want the opposing bigs set against Paolo I want them trying to guard him from 17 foot out to let mark control around the basket.
You still keep saying the bigs will be set. I don’t know why you keep saying that. I said have Paolo be the initiator. He doesn’t have to bring the ball up the court. No coach is going to put a guard on him because if they do we will have him give the ball up then go post up the guard. Come on now

You still keep saying the bigs will be set. I don’t know why you keep saying that. I said have Paolo be the initiator. He doesn’t have to bring the ball up the court. No coach is going to put a guard on him because if they do we will have him give the ball up then go post up the guard. Come on now
Did you watch the scrimmage from Friday night? How many time did you see Paolo as the initiator ? Maybe four times . When the guards were guarding him he either shot the ball or past it off allowing the bigs to get set down low and leaving Mark to battle two bigs. Paolo is going to do the bulk of his scoring from 17 foot and in. When Jones went out to guard him it caused a guard to have to come over to attempt to help defend on the entry pass to Williams allowing for a blow by of Jones to a straight dunk for Paolo. If you watch every time Johns and Jones were set Paolo didn’t attempt to go to the lane he shot the ball . How many times when he gave up the ball did you see a guard reset down low on him? If he initiates the offense every coach will send a guard to the perimeter allowing time for their bigs to get set this in return will not allow for Paolo to pass off and get set in the post because it won’t be a guard it will be a big. No coach who has watched tape on Paolo will want their bigs going beyond 17 feet to guard Paolo . It allows him to either blow by them or pass the ball into Williams for a one on one . Also not to many teams have the bigs to allow them to leak out of the post.

I feel like this team will thrive with letting Roach( needs to show he can really run the team) and one of Keels or Moore initiate the offense. I think we all can agree once Paolo is one on one 17 feet and in he is going to be hard to stop especially with mark down low . The down fall to that is , so will every team . The more players Duke has scoring the easier it becomes on Paolo and Williams . The less the other players score the harder Paolo and Williams job becomes .

Did you watch the scrimmage from Friday night? How many time did you see Paolo as the initiator ? Maybe four times . When the guards were guarding him he either shot the ball or past it off allowing the bigs to get set down low and leaving Mark to battle two bigs. Paolo is going to do the bulk of his scoring from 17 foot and in. When Jones went out to guard him it caused a guard to have to come over to attempt to help defend on the entry pass to Williams allowing for a blow by of Jones to a straight dunk for Paolo. If you watch every time Johns and Jones were set Paolo didn’t attempt to go to the lane he shot the ball . How many times when he gave up the ball did you see a guard reset down low on him? If he initiates the offense every coach will send a guard to the perimeter allowing time for their bigs to get set this in return will not allow for Paolo to pass off and get set in the post because it won’t be a guard it will be a big. No coach who has watched tape on Paolo will want their bigs going beyond 17 feet to guard Paolo . It allows him to either blow by them or pass the ball into Williams for a one on one . Also not to many teams have the bigs to allow them to leak out of the post.
Once again initiator doesn’t mean him bringing the ball up. He can initiate from the elbow. Now if he sets a pick and they switch then a guard is on him. But if someone else bring the ball up and he gets the ball at the elbow or top of the key in a triple threat position then he can be a decision maker. Moore is not the guy to be handling the ball which was my original point

Once again initiator doesn’t mean him bringing the ball up. He can initiate from the elbow. Now if he sets a pick and they switch then a guard is on him. But if someone else bring the ball up and he gets the ball at the elbow or top of the key in a triple threat position then he can be a decision maker. Moore is not the guy to be handling the ball which was my original point
I didn’t say him bringing the ball up court. I simply said initiating the offense. Which is what you said , you would like to see him initiate the offense . I think he’s more effective roaming from the 17 foot line in. With Moore, Roach and Keels on the court all they need to do is show they can be consistent at scoring and it will allow Paolo to flow more freely at his strengths . With out trying to initiate putting more pressure on his self at this level.

Every team will put a small guard on him on him around the perimeter. It keeps him from down low and allows the opposing big to get set. Plus he’s still a frosh. One slight dip of his shoulder into a smaller guard and it’s a foul. Paolo does the bulk of his damage with on the paint . You don’t want the other teams bigs being able to get set for the same reason they would send smaller guards on him. Plus Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson aren’t running around the perimeter .
That last sentence is the key part. If Keels and/or Roach is shooting well from outside, Duke could really punish any team that uses a guard to pick up Banchero because it forces their PF or Center to at least keep an eye on Keels or Roach. If either are hitting outside shots, opponent has to decide to either have the normal defender for Banchero switch onto Keels or Roach, or it allows them to have wide open outside shots.

Opponents can obviously play a zone of type to help cover any holes that a guard covering Banchero opens up, but Banchero still has two guys primarily focusing on him when he is playing the Point Forward position.

Reactions: sheyduke
I can understand why we're spending a lot of time discussing Paolo. But one of the things I like about this team is we're going to have at least 3 mid sized guys, Keels, Moore and Griffin, who are strong and big enough to get a good shot from 15 feet out which are underrated shots. We did not have that last year except for Hurt. That is going to present problems for smaller teams and will stop a lot of double teaming on Mark and Paolo. Every jump shot doesn't have to be a 3 pointer.

Devil's advocate we had Moore last year, and we don't have AJ. But potentially yes.

Let’s wait for the season to start before writing the post mortem. Sheesh.

I can understand why we're spending a lot of time discussing Paolo. But one of the things I like about this team is we're going to have at least 3 mid sized guys, Keels, Moore and Griffin, who are strong and big enough to get a good shot from 15 feet out which are underrated shots. We did not have that last year except for Hurt. That is going to present problems for smaller teams and will stop a lot of double teaming on Mark and Paolo. Every jump shot doesn't have to be a 3 pointer.
Good point. Players are going to have to show they can hit jumpers. This Duke team needs every player scoring not much but the more the rest score the more it opens the court up for the others .

Reactions: skysdad
Keels may determine how far we go. If he can be a 15ppg top 10 type guy, our ceiling gets higher. Of course that means no year two but that's okay.
I’d be fine with that. I’m like you Chris and the rest of the board. I hope he’s got that chip on his shoulder .

We haven't played a game yet but if Keels over performs, even at the expense of AJ or Roach, then it really increases our chances of success.

I love his toughness and confidence. I think it rubs off on the whole team.

We haven't played a game yet but if Keels over performs, even at the expense of AJ or Roach, then it really increases our chances of success.

I love his toughness and confidence. I think it rubs off on the whole team.
I think being familiar with Keels actually rubs off on Roach. If Keels performs well I see Roach’s confidence skyrocket

If Keels can have a Trent type season we will be more like the last 6 season type teams, not counting last year. I had to think of Trent's name I forgot for a second.

Last edited:
If Keels can have a Trent type season we will be more like the last 6 season type teams, not counting last year. I had to think of Trent's name I forgot for a second.
If keels gives us a Gary Trent type of season, we will be just fine and should be a top 10 team all year. That game he had at Miami was unbelievable and I was lucky enough to be there.

Was Trent on the team that lost in the second round or was he on the elite eight team?

It's so bad. I knew the game was over (even with a decent amount of time left) at that moment

It's so bad. I knew the game was over (even with a decent amount of time left) at that moment
Yep, same here. I'd say it's one of the worst calls in Duke history. If not for the last 3 minutes and change of the 2004 Final Four game I would give the Carter call the nod for worst in Duke tourney history. But we had what seemed like 83 people foul out in that game.....

Reactions: christophero
We had no luck those Elite Eight years. The 1 or 2 seed in our region won out both years. Although we did get lucky to beat that Taco team. That would have been an embarrasing loss.

Reactions: skysdad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT