ADVERTISEMENT

Hoos defense coming to you guys, think you can handle it

Don’t you believe the current Top 25 reflects how good a team really is? Pre-season and early polls are nothing but a guess.....at least now teams have played close to 20 games, much better reflection on how good a team is really playing.
I still think it’s somewhat of a guess. I mean do people seriously believe unx is a top ten team?

Don’t you believe the current Top 25 reflects how good a team really is? Pre-season and early polls are nothing but a guess.....at least now teams have played close to 20 games, much better reflection on how good a team is really playing.

If Va loses to Duke Saturday, are they not as good as you thought?
When two good teams play, someone has to lose. Doesn't mean they aren't still a good team. West Va lost to TCU and Texas Tech, but beat Va, so is Va not as good as TCU and Texas Tech?

I think it's easier stated like this....Tony Bennett has never won anything, they don't have a single player who will be relevant 4 years from now, and they are about as exciting to watch as watching grass grow.

Greg Gard may be out at Wisconsin sooner than most believe (they are terrible this year), lets go ahead and set the over/under at 1.5 years on Tony Bennett at Wisconsin, ultimately making UVA irrelevant (as they should be) for the rest of our lives.

Reactions: sgrooms
If Va loses to Duke Saturday, are they not as good as you thought?
When two good teams play, someone has to lose. Doesn't mean they aren't still a good team. West Va lost to TCU and Texas Tech, but beat Va, so is Va not as good as TCU and Texas Tech?
I will absolutely believe both of these teams are still good no matter who wins. My only point is look at Kentucky for example they were a top 5 pre-season team.....does anyone really believe they are a top 5 team this year? And UVA wasn’t even ranked pre-season, do you believe there are 25 teams better than UVA right now? Current polls would seem to be a better reflection on a teams standings now, more so than early polls that are based as much on last year or just the fact teams are usually good.

I think it will be a very good battle. Of the two, Duke has the better chance to win by more than 10. Should Duke does win by double digits, that is not good news for the rest of the country.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think it's easier stated like this....Tony Bennett has never won anything, they don't have a single player who will be relevant 4 years from now, and they are about as exciting to watch as watching grass grow.

Greg Gard may be out at Wisconsin sooner than most believe (they are terrible this year), lets go ahead and set the over/under at 1.5 years on Tony Bennett at Wisconsin, ultimately making UVA irrelevant (as they should be) for the rest of our lives.
LMAO.....I found the knowledgeable one. Bennett has already turned down the Wisconsin job once so tell me why you seem to believe he will take it the second time? As for 4 years from now all players will be gone, maybe you meant 3 years from now....Hunter says Hi.

Reactions: Mac9192
I will absolutely believe both of these teams are still good no matter who wins. My only point is look at Kentucky for example they were a top 5 pre-season team.....does anyone really believe they are a top 5 team this year? And UVA wasn’t even ranked pre-season, do you believe there are 25 teams better than UVA right now? Current polls would seem to be a better reflection on a teams standings now, more so than early polls that are based as much on last year or just the fact teams are usually good.

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying, but I don't think you can look at it from only that perspective. You pointed out that Florida will likely fall out of the rankings this week, but would you really be excited to play them in the second game of the NCAA tournament this year? Surely the answer to that is no. My point is I don't put too much stock in who is in the top 25 and who is not. I really don't think there is that much separation from teams ranked 15th thru 30th. I have made the statement several times that the rankings are not completely accurate. The example I give is lets say the #23 team is the country comes to Va. and is a 15 point under dog. They take you to O.T. and lose by 2. That loss will knock them out of the rankings, but they were a 15 point dog playing on the road and covered the spread by a mile. Should they "really" drop, or move up?

How many of those top 25 wins are against teams still in the top 25? The current Top 25 UVA is 3-1.....beat UNC, Clemson and Rhode Island...Lost to WVU so those numbers are obviously wrong on UVA......Duke has beaten Mich St and Florida (who will drop out this week). You can make things look anyway you want if you search enough. Looks to me like you are the one cherry picking stats.....just sayin.
Wrong. I didn't search for that data. I merely went to your source, the Sagarin site. You quoted Sagarin ratings for strength of schedule, but decided to override Sagarin's data on record versus top 25 teams. That's cherry picking. I'm done.

Brogdon, Joe Harris, Justin Anderson and Mike Scott are all collecting NBA checks. Anthony Gill, London Perrantes, Akil Mitchell and others were top-tier college players, widely recognized and remembered even among casual ACC fans. Not to mention ACC greats like Barry Parkhill, Bryant Stith, Jeff Lamp, Cory Alexander, Wally Walker or John Crotty.

Virginia is ranked second nationally on merit. They've won 22, 23, 30, 30, 29 and 23 games in their previous six seasons, five NCAA appearances and an NIT appearance in that span, enough to get recognition as one of the nation's top programs.

They are going to be a tough win for Duke at home, probably the toughest game on Duke's home schedule.

Sorry, that's escaped your attention. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
With all those studs Bennett surely has a few final 4's on his resume right?

LMAO.....I found the knowledgeable one. Bennett has already turned down the Wisconsin job once so tell me why you seem to believe he will take it the second time? As for 4 years from now all players will be gone, maybe you meant 3 years from now....Hunter says Hi.
Lol. Bo Ryan left on his terms, his terms were to ensure that Greg Gard got the position, unless you mean that back before Bo Ryan got the job that Bennett was offered it?? Bennett would have been like 25, what you smoking?

I don't disagree at all with what you are saying, but I don't think you can look at it from only that perspective. You pointed out that Florida will likely fall out of the rankings this week, but would you really be excited to play them in the second game of the NCAA tournament this year? Surely the answer to that is no. My point is I don't put too much stock in who is in the top 25 and who is not. I really don't think there is that much separation from teams ranked 15th thru 30th. I have made the statement several times that the rankings are not completely accurate. The example I give is lets say the #23 team is the country comes to Va. and is a 15 point under dog. They take you to O.T. and lose by 2. That loss will knock them out of the rankings, but they were a 15 point dog playing on the road and covered the spread by a mile. Should they "really" drop, or move up?
Well said...

Lol. Bo Ryan left on his terms, his terms were to ensure that Greg Gard got the position, unless you mean that back before Bo Ryan got the job that Bennett was offered it?? Bennett would have been like 25, what you smoking?
Wisconsin asked permission to talk with Bennett about the job, he declined. Gard got it, do you really believe they would announce Bennett turned us down so we gave it to Gard......come on you can’t be that Nieves.

Some UVA postseason results this decade:

2010: no postseason
2011: no postseason
2013: NIT

Beware of the Gators
2012 NCAAT: Florida 71-UVA 45
2017 NCAAT: Florida 65-UVA 39

Could be a great game Saturday. Say hi to our UVA buddy (I have him on ignore).

Reactions: jwill133
I actually think we match up terrible ! Or I guess our play. the way we’ve played games match what they do best on both sides. Bagley imo needs a career game on both sides. Or carter and him really good games whatever. That and some great passing, (duval)! especially. The way Clemson had to score in the first shows why, and improved D of course. This year they can shoot.

Last edited:
And to uva fans. Much respect and congratulations on a great coach and couple years, but imo Bennett will leave as soon as a big opportunity presents itself, Especially judging off who he’s been trying to recruit and failing to get. I’m in Va and root for them against everybody besides us , don’t take it wrong . Goodluck the rest the way after Saturday .

And to uva fans. Much respect and congratulations on a great coach and couple years, but imo Bennett will leave as soon as a big opportunity presents itself, Especially judging off who he’s been trying to recruit and failing to get. I’m in Va and root for them against everybody besides us , don’t take it wrong . Goodluck the rest the way after Saturday .
Appreciate the props.....you could be right about Bennett but I sure hope not.

I'm not here to defend a Virginia fan, but winning a natty is freakin' hard! Or getting to a Final 4 either. Before K brought home our first championship in '91, I was beginning to think it just wasn't in the cards for us to win one. Duke had the longest drought of any team being in Final Fours without winning a championship (I believe that was 8) before K won in the program's 9th attempt. I was so thrilled, relieved, you name it, after finally getting that monkey off our back. Winning the next year was just icing on the cake. And getting 3 more after that? Unbelievable! We, as Duke fans, are very fortunate, and I never forget that.

OFC

I'm not here to defend a Virginia fan, but winning a natty is freakin' hard! Or getting to a Final 4 either. Before K brought home our first championship in '91, I was beginning to think it just wasn't in the cards for us to win one. Duke had the longest drought of any team being in Final Fours without winning a championship (I believe that was 8) before K won in the program's 9th attempt. I was so thrilled, relieved, you name it, after finally getting that monkey off our back. Winning the next year was just icing on the cake. And getting 3 more after that? Unbelievable! We, as Duke fans, are very fortunate, and I never forget that.

OFC
Spot freaking on. So many things have to go your way to win six games in a row. What happens if someone gets hurt. What happens if you catch a bad draw. What happens if you get a tough shooting night. Or bad officials . Or you name it. Yes you have to be good, duh, but it is sooo hard. Six straight single elimination games.

This is why i get so pissed reading the stuff of it was a bad year or a failed year because we didn’t make the final four or win it all. Blanket statements without actually understanding all that went to it is like reading the title of the book and the back cover and telling me the book sucks.

Spot freaking on. So many things have to go your way to win six games in a row. What happens if someone gets hurt. What happens if you catch a bad draw. What happens if you get a tough shooting night. Or bad officials . Or you name it. Yes you have to be good, duh, but it is sooo hard. Six straight single elimination games.

This is why i get so pissed reading the stuff of it was a bad year or a failed year because we didn’t make the final four or win it all. Blanket statements without actually understanding all that went to it is like reading the title of the book and the back cover and telling me the book sucks.

Absolutely, Timo. K has won 5 championships...does that make all the rest of them failures? NO, HELL NO!

OFC

OFC
Amen Dirt. Not picking on the younger fans, and some of you OFC's have seen more than I have, but my time as a fan started right before K made the first runs to final 4's. I remember I believe 84 or 85, Detlef Schremph or whatever his name was for Washington, wore Duke out. Then in 90, getting beat by the largest margin ever in a title game. Going to school the next day was a nightmare.
A lot of us, myself included, see what he's done with 5 titles, but there was a time that I didn't think I'd ever see Duke cut the nets down.
Also the Hole fans used to brag that they sent more players to the nba than Duke did, and we didn't care. All we did was pick on them for failing to win it all with their future nba stars and say we only care what they do in college.
We shouldn't get too cocky until we have number 6 too. He who laughs last, last the loudest.

Amen Dirt. Not picking on the younger fans, and some of you OFC's have seen more than I have, but my time as a fan started right before K made the first runs to final 4's. I remember I believe 84 or 85, Detlef Schremph or whatever his name was for Washington, wore Duke out. Then in 90, getting beat by the largest margin ever in a title game. Going to school the next day was a nightmare.
A lot of us, myself included, see what he's done with 5 titles, but there was a time that I didn't think I'd ever see Duke cut the nets down.
Also the Hole fans used to brag that they sent more players to the nba than Duke did, and we didn't care. All we did was pick on them for failing to win it all with their future nba stars and say we only care what they do in college.
We shouldn't get too cocky until we have number 6 too. He who laughs last, last the loudest.

Yeah, there were some hearbreakin' losses before we won that first one, Mac! That damn Jack Givens with his 41 (I think) against the Mike Gminski led Devils, and the game that killed me more than any other...the 86 team, when 'Never Nervous' Pervis snatched victory away from what I thought was our best team ever to that point.

And for the Tar Heel fans, those losses we had in all those FF's are what drove me to hate them. I've always been a Duke fan, but believe it or not, I actually pulled for the Heels against other competition...BUT they became so arrogant, and obnoxious with the fact that Duke couldn't win the big one that I couldn't stand it anymore. Never pulled for them since, and never will.

Yep, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Look at my avatar, it says 'shootin' for #6, and we are, but a long ways from it at this moment.

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
Come on guys, it shouldn't be that hard. I mean, we get the easiest bracket every year, and all the calls go our way!!
That’s the one thing that opposing fans say that irritates me the most because if we truly got all the calls like they want to believe that we do then we would be undefeated every season and would win the ACC and NCAA tournament year. That whole claim by other fans basically started when we won our first title in 1991 if not before then, so by their logic we should have won at least 27 straight ACC Regular Season Titles, 27 ACC Tournament Titles and 27 NCAA Tournament Titles plus however many more years Coach K is at Duke.

If Bob Verga doesnt get sick week of the final four mid 60's, I am pretty sure we win our first natty. Also you mentioned "bad officials," and it does happen. Obviously there are some folks in Arkansas and Kentucky who would tell you they were dealt a bad hand on calls in their elimination games to UNC last year. Really just a few questionable calls probably helped UNC get over the top.

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT