ADVERTISEMENT

Hoos defense coming to you guys, think you can handle it

Apr 15, 2008
But regardless I expect it to be a he'll of a game win or lose,we two teams are the best in the country.

I like our chances, i think we matchup well and we get this one at home. We have to play well here, we have to do a great job on the glass and we can’t have the wrong guys settling for 3s. We do that and get to a little bit of a lead, i think we are victorious bc our defense has improved and UVAs offense isn’t built for comebacks.

This one will be more about Duke’s defending of the 3 point line. Also, Duval can disrupt that UVA D.

Denver we do need to defend the 3 ball, and Duval is CAPABLE of "disrupting that UVA D." Flipside they are just as easily capable of disrupting him. He was hurting the team 2nd half and K was right to remove him. I think he was sending a message just because you're a likely OAD, doesnt mean automatic minutes. Heck O'Connell played extremely well w/the starters in a hostile enviroment on the road. I think Duval plays much better Saturday after his extended sitdown.

OFC

We need a better Duval than the one we got last night, that's for sure. I'm confident in this game, no way we lose at home this year. What worries me is to beat UVA you need to hit 3's, that is not our forte, still think they haven't seen a force like Bagley/Carter yet this year though.

Hope K extends his streak against Bennett. Next to beating the Holes, there's no other team out there I would like to drag through the mud than Virginia. I want to see our boys fired up, clicking on all cylinders, and forcing them to play faster. Even though Guy cut his little pony tail, girly bun or whatever feminine hair piece he had last year, he still looks like a little pri*%. Long story short, I want to kick their a**e* so bad. Statement game.

Last edited:
Clemson had a really, really, really bad Saturday. They lose Donte Grantham for the season (and effectively ending his career), and they lose out on Zion... Clemson has a huge void without Grantham. They are still good, but it's clearly not the same team. Grantham had a good shot at making 1st or 2nd team All-ACC.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Denver we do need to defend the 3 ball, and Duval is CAPABLE of "disrupting that UVA D." Flipside they are just as easily capable of disrupting him. He was hurting the team 2nd half and K was right to remove him. I think he was sending a message just because you're a likely OAD, doesnt mean automatic minutes. Heck O'Connell played extremely well w/the starters in a hostile enviroment on the road. I think Duval plays much better Saturday after his extended sitdown.

OFC
UVA bigs are slow footed. I think Duval will be able to get to the rim and finish on his own, which is greatest strength.

UVA bigs are slow footed. I think Duval will be able to get to the rim and finish on his own, which is greatest strength.

His "greatest strength" will be boosted by the message sent last nite from K. Their bigs may be slow afoot, but they play that D so well schematically to offset some lack of foot speed.

OFC

His "greatest strength" will be boosted by the message sent last nite from K. Their bigs may be slow afoot, but they play that D so well schematically to offset some lack of foot speed.

OFC
That’s definitely true. I’m not going to try and claim UVA can’t defend. They are the best at it. I feel like Tre does best when he can just stare down the defense and go to the rim.

That’s definitely true. I’m not going to try and claim UVA can’t defend. They are the best at it. I feel like Tre does best when he can just stare down the defense and go to the rim.

Brother Den, I know what you mean. As long as he doesnt force things, I think he'll be fine. In fact if we can get him out ahead in some transition, it would be a very key element Saturday. OFC

Clemson had a really, really, really bad Saturday. They lose Donte Grantham for the season (and effectively ending his career), and they lose out on Zion... Clemson has a huge void without Grantham. They are still good, but it's clearly not the same team. Grantham had a good shot at making 1st or 2nd team All-ACC.

Feel awful for Grantham and Clemson.

We’ve been playing better the last few weeks, but it will need to go up another notch on Saturday. We’ll need Grayson and Gary to knock down some shots and take advantage of Marvin and Wendell down low. If we score 70, I’m not sure I see a scenario where UVA beats us.

UVA sure did look good on D last night. No doubt they are well coached and the buy into Bennett's system. I thought Clemson's guards looked slow, but perhaps that was just a function of the solid D being played. For extended minutes Clemson couldn't even get the ball up on the rim.

Our speed and athleticism across the board should dominate. If we shoot fairly well from 3 I cannot see a scenario where we lose. I also have a hunch Grayson busts out on Saturday.

Should be a good one either way. Go Duke!!

I went over to Virginia's board just to see what they were saying. It's quite comical. It's basically the same old crap hear all the time about officials and Coach K. They even have a poll on there about their most hated and liked Duke players of all time. The funny thing is they can name numerous players from Duke but I can only think of one from Virginia and that's Ralph Sampson. That's the difference in the two programs

Reactions: GAAP
Am I the only one that gets the feeling this Duke team is about to flip a switch and take it to a whole other level. I think Virginia is about to find out what it means to be elite.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
They do have a great defense. Part of it though is to milk the clock on offense and this limits the other teams offensive possesions. Kind of like sustaining drives in the NFL, keep the other team's QB on the sideline, if he doesn't have the ball he can't hurt you and it helps to keep the defense rested and refresh. What really is the engine to the defense though is having to make shots. UVA milks the clock and then hits their shots then they can setup their defense. So to me the onus will be on Duke's defense to stop them and to create turnovers, we create turnovers and we can play at our pace. If UVA gets in a hole I feel confident they won't dig out of it, maybe at home but not in our house.

I was equally as worried for last nights game @ Wake as I am for our home game against UVA.

The funny thing is they can name numerous players from Duke but I can only think of one from Virginia and that's Ralph Sampson. That's the difference in the two programs

Really. You can't name the guy who was ACC Player of the Year all the way back in 2016 and followed that up by being named 2017 NBA Rookie of the Year?

Reactions: tommy4977
I think Coach K will try to speed up the game with his zone presses. A key will be if Duke can play defense for the entire shot clock and not break down at the end. And we'll need 2 guys to be on from deep, between Grayson, Trent and AOC/Duval (who I almost see as a tandem like last night).

We're at home, we're playing a little better defense, and Grayson is starting to look like the old Grayson so I like our chances. That said, we'll need to rebound well, and shoot the ball reasonably well from the outside. It should be a tough, close game.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
I'm thinking K will have a great game plan for Saturday. He always seems like he's even sharper than normal when Duke plays an opponent that is supposed to be really good, and uva is really good. Almost as if he feels personally challenged. This game Saturday is the game of the year, and I look for Duke to make a major statement. I think he wants to show Virginia and all the talking heads that he may be old, but he's the best. At least that's what I'm expecting.

I'm thinking K will have a great game plan for Saturday. He always seems like he's even sharper than normal when Duke plays an opponent that is supposed to be really good, and uva is really good. Almost as if he feels personally challenged. This game Saturday is the game of the year, and I look for Duke to make a major statement. I think he wants to show Virginia and all the talking heads that he may be old, but he's the best. At least that's what I'm expecting.

I agree, Mac. I like the fact we've got 3 whole days between last night's game, and Saturday's game. K (and staff) should have the time to have our guys prepared for what to expect against that pack line defense. And of course, Grayson has seen it before, and that'll help.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad and Mac9192

Perhaps that says more about you than about UVA hoops.

It's Malcolm Brogdon, btw. Which most people on this board already knew.

Bennett has turned Virginia into a consistently top-tier program and he has done that with some pretty good players.

Reactions: skysdad
Perhaps that says more about you than about UVA hoops.

It's Malcolm Brogdon, btw. Which most people on this board already knew.

Bennett has turned Virginia into a consistently top-tier program and he has done that with some pretty good players.

Good for you and them. I'm not impressed. Sorry. They are a good program but I'm not going to act like they are elite. Don't like it, don't comment... Simple

With UVA's myriad of national championships, final four appearances, and overwhelmingly impressive record vs Duke, they strike a fear in me that makes it difficult to breathe......Duke wins by double digits, and scores around 20 points more than UVA is holding their other opponents to.

With the exception of Pitt, I’m more worried about an acc road game than I am a home game vs uva. We’re winning.

I guess I'll buck the trend. I'm a bit worried about it. I think we have an advantage with our bigs and with our athleticism. If we can play smart and attack quickly and intelligently, then I think we take the game. However, I'm worried that if the pace is dictated by UVA that our young guys will start to take low percentage shots, or rush things unnecessarily.

If we can get out and run early, then I think it will help our confidence and comfort against more experienced players. If we don't get off to a good start, then I think we are in for a long game. This will be a game that Grayson will have to really provide leadership for. He will have to get these guys calmed down if they start to rush things.

In the end, I like us as usual, but it will depend on our own ability to beat the defense down the floor and to take smart shots. That's just my opinion though, haha.

I see us going over the top of the defense, Our bigs put theirs in early foul trouble and we walk away in the end by 10-15.

I like Bennett and he's a top coach but dang he can't get it done in March. Cameron will be rocking.

Good for you and them. I'm not impressed. Sorry. They are a good program but I'm not going to act like they are elite. Don't like it, don't comment... Simple

Brogdon, Joe Harris, Justin Anderson and Mike Scott are all collecting NBA checks. Anthony Gill, London Perrantes, Akil Mitchell and others were top-tier college players, widely recognized and remembered even among casual ACC fans. Not to mention ACC greats like Barry Parkhill, Bryant Stith, Jeff Lamp, Cory Alexander, Wally Walker or John Crotty.

Virginia is ranked second nationally on merit. They've won 22, 23, 30, 30, 29 and 23 games in their previous six seasons, five NCAA appearances and an NIT appearance in that span, enough to get recognition as one of the nation's top programs.

They are going to be a tough win for Duke at home, probably the toughest game on Duke's home schedule.

Sorry, that's escaped your attention. But that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT