ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone read The Brotherhood by Jay Bilas?

I think and hope that Jay doesn't take himself as seriously as others do. I think I we take him more seriously than his routine is meant to be. I think he, like Jay William's has become too "schtick" oriented, which tends to make them annoying while doing so and takes away from their vast skills.

I loved when Majerus did games with Jay. He made fun of everything, including everything Jay. Jay just couldn't annoy you under those circumstances.

Although Jay was much better to listen to earlier on in his career, he will always be a true Royal Blue Duke fan.

Reactions: skysdad and dbav
Excellent article. I have always liked Bilas and felt that, as a basketball analyst, he tries really hard to be unbiased toward Duke. To a fault, as we Duke fans see. Several years ago, I read an article in a magazine about Bilas and his family life, complete with pictures of his home and family. Inside his house was nothing but Duke. It was obvious that he has a special love for the school but he does try not to show it in his job. I am okay with that.

Excellent article. I have always liked Bilas and felt that, as a basketball analyst, he tries really hard to be unbiased toward Duke. To a fault, as we Duke fans see. Several years ago, I read an article in a magazine about Bilas and his family life, complete with pictures of his home and family. Inside his house was nothing but Duke. It was obvious that he has a special love for the school but he does try not to show it in his job. I am okay with that.

I think there's truth in this. If Jay were to stick to the game....then, IMO, there's no one better. Too often, though, he uses the broadcasts as a soap box to attack the NCAA and the refs. It can get tiresome.

(And I should say, I agree with most of his take on the NCAA....I just don't like the platform he uses to make them.)

Reactions: tate12
I agree dukiejay. I think that his comments on the NCAA and the state of college basketball are point on. I would just rather read about it than hear about it during games. Still, I would rather listen to him than Cory Alexander who talks about who all he knows and everything else except what is going on in the game we are trying to watch.

Actually, if I had my choices, it would be a team of Wes Durham and G-man.

You know Jay is pretty much dead on about how screwed up the NCAA is. I think he would be great as commissioner of the NCAA. Of course the position would have to be created but they need to do something because it ain't working but I doubt they would have snything to do with Jay. OFC

You know Jay is pretty much dead on about how screwed up the NCAA is. I think he would be great as commissioner of the NCAA. Of course the position would have to be created but they need to do something because it ain't working but I doubt they would have snything to do with Jay. OFC
Not really interested in what Bilas has to say about the NCAA. It is easy to criticize and never recognize the good. The NCAA is not perfect, but we are far better off with it than we would be without it. Bilas' only real experience with the NCAA was as a player. Since then, he has been no more than an outside observer, in love with his own opinions. Had he any experience as an actual head coach or as a director of athletics who actually had to perform within the boundaries of the NCAA rules and guidelines, Bilas would be more of a credible source for me. My most valued source for commentary, favorable and unfavorable, about the NCAA is the GOAT. And unlike Bilas, he offers positive, realistic, nonpolitically correct suggestions for change. OFC.

Give me Bill Raftery any day. I think some of the Duke guys are a little dry but Raftery cracks me up while still imparting a tremendous amount of basketball knowledge. Reminds me of Al McGuire (sigh).

Reactions: hart2chesson
Not really interested in what Bilas has to say about the NCAA. It is easy to criticize and never recognize the good. The NCAA is not perfect, but we are far better off with it than we would be without it. Bilas' only real experience with the NCAA was as a player. Since then, he has been no more than an outside observer, in love with his own opinions. Had he any experience as an actual head coach or as a director of athletics who actually had to perform within the boundaries of the NCAA rules and guidelines, Bilas would be more of a credible source for me. My most valued source for commentary, favorable and unfavorable, about the NCAA is the GOAT. And unlike Bilas, he offers positive, realistic, nonpolitically correct suggestions for change. OFC.

During broadcasts, I'm not interested in what he has to say either. But you're not following closely if you think Bilas just criticizes the NCAA. That's not even a valid argument....it might be that you just choose to only hear the bad?

Also, I think it's unfair to call people like Bilas, Raftery, Grant Hill and others outside observers to the NCAA because they're not head coaches or an AD. That couldn't be further from the truth. I think Bilas and many others feel they're fighting for fairness when they speak out against the NCAA. Between coaches, corporations, video game makers and more....this is a billion dollar industry where the people providing the entertainment are getting zero. I'm not involved with the NCAA either, but even I can tell that's messed up.

I agree K is a valued source. He's not the only one though. Part of the reason we're so messed up as a society is because people can only handle one source and discredit any that might not completely support their opinion.

The NCAA is a corrupt organization. That's not breaking news.

Give me Bill Raftery any day. I think some of the Duke guys are a little dry but Raftery cracks me up while still imparting a tremendous amount of basketball knowledge. Reminds me of Al McGuire (sigh).

Love Bill, my mom wouldn't miss a tip just to hear a "Jim Nantz, Grant Hill, Coach K's Devils go MANDAMAN!!!!!!" OFC

Reactions: Liftee
During broadcasts, I'm not interested in what he has to say either. But you're not following closely if you think Bilas just criticizes the NCAA. That's not even a valid argument....it might be that you just choose to only hear the bad?

Also, I think it's unfair to call people like Bilas, Raftery, Grant Hill and others outside observers to the NCAA because they're not head coaches or an AD. That couldn't be further from the truth. I think Bilas and many others feel they're fighting for fairness when they speak out against the NCAA. Between coaches, corporations, video game makers and more....this is a billion dollar industry where the people providing the entertainment are getting zero. I'm not involved with the NCAA either, but even I can tell that's messed up.

I agree K is a valued source. He's not the only one though. Part of the reason we're so messed up as a society is because people can only handle one source and discredit any that might not completely support their opinion.

The NCAA is a corrupt organization. That's not breaking news.
Grant Hill and Raftery compared to Bilas? Not fair to Grant and Raftery to be thrown into the same class with Bilas. Apples and oranges. They are not arrogant, condescending, all-knowing. I did not make a statement about "all outside observers"; I merely explained why I do not assign any credibility to Bilas in has rants about the NCAA, just like I do not assign any credibility to your opinion that the NCAA is a
"corrupt organization". Maybe when the Justice Department and the FBI initiate an investigation into alleged NCAA corruption, I might change my mind. I understand your disagreement with certain NCAA policies and actions and acknowledge your right to freely express it. That does not mean that anyone who disagrees with you is a dope or ignorant. Alert me when and if Bilas says something positive about the NCAA, and I will factor it into my opinion. Right now I cannot think of anything.

The only one I discredited was Bilas, and it was not because he did not support my opinion whatever you are guessing it is; it was because I did not feel that he had the experience and facts to support his opinion. Thus, I was in total agreement with K's response to the recent legislation in California regarding players' rights to market their images under certain conditions. Credibility is a function, in large part, of qualifications. K's qualifications justify reliance on his opinions regarding the NCAA. In my mind, Bilas's do not.

Finally, the fact that I listed K as a supporting source for the way I feel, does not mean I that I cannot credit an opinion which differs from mine which comes from someone who is qualified to express it.

Finally, your last paragraph perfectly describes the situation during the impeachment proceedings wherein Adam Schiff would not allow the Republicans to call their own witnesses, limited the scope of their cross-examinations of the witnesses who were called, and refused to call witnesses whose testimony would have been unquestionably relevant, to include the alleged "Whistleblower".

Grant Hill and Raftery compared to Bilas? Not fair to Grant and Raftery to be thrown into the same class with Bilas. Apples and oranges. They are not arrogant, condescending, all-knowing. I did not make a statement about "all outside observers"; I merely explained why I do not assign any credibility to Bilas in has rants about the NCAA, just like I do not assign any credibility to your opinion that the NCAA is a
"corrupt organization". Maybe when the Justice Department and the FBI initiate an investigation into alleged NCAA corruption, I might change my mind. I understand your disagreement with certain NCAA policies and actions and acknowledge your right to freely express it. That does not mean that anyone who disagrees with you is a dope or ignorant. Alert me when and if Bilas says something positive about the NCAA, and I will factor it into my opinion. Right now I cannot think of anything.

The only one I discredited was Bilas, and it was not because he did not support my opinion whatever you are guessing it is; it was because I did not feel that he had the experience and facts to support his opinion. Thus, I was in total agreement with K's response to the recent legislation in California regarding players' rights to market their images under certain conditions. Credibility is a function, in large part, of qualifications. K's qualifications justify reliance on his opinions regarding the NCAA. In my mind, Bilas's do not.

Finally, the fact that I listed K as a supporting source for the way I feel, does not mean I that I cannot credit an opinion which differs from mine which comes from someone who is qualified to express it.

Finally, your last paragraph perfectly describes the situation during the impeachment proceedings wherein Adam Schiff would not allow the Republicans to call their own witnesses, limited the scope of their cross-examinations of the witnesses who were called, and refused to call witnesses whose testimony would have been unquestionably relevant, to include the alleged "Whistleblower".

You discredited Bilas because he wasn't an AD or coach...neither were the other two. So yes, I did lump them in to your criteria. If the criteria has now changed, then so be it.

If you think the NCAA isn't morally corrupt, then it's impossible to have any kind of rational conversation. After what happened just eight miles down the road from Duke? Anyone who followed that case knew what was going to happen before it did. The NCAA's mission reads, ""to be an integral part of higher education and to focus on the development of student-athletes." I know you don't believe that for a second.

Listen, I could link 100 articles showing how they are morally and ethically corrupt....but that just proves what everyone already knows. And isn't it funny how the NCAA always avoids trials and just settles? Did you also know the NCAA is a "non-profit" organization that just happens to profit over $1 billion every year? They really care about their student-athletes, too.

You discredited Bilas because he wasn't an AD or coach...neither were the other two. So yes, I did lump them in to your criteria. If the criteria has now changed, then so be it.

If you think the NCAA isn't morally corrupt, then it's impossible to have any kind of rational conversation. After what happened just eight miles down the road from Duke? Anyone who followed that case knew what was going to happen before it did. The NCAA's mission reads, ""to be an integral part of higher education and to focus on the development of student-athletes." I know you don't believe that for a second.

Listen, I could link 100 articles showing how they are morally and ethically corrupt....but that just proves what everyone already knows. And isn't it funny how the NCAA always avoids trials and just settles? Did you also know the NCAA is a "non-profit" organization that just happens to profit over $1 billion every year? They really care about their student-athletes, too.
For a non profit, their execs are paid quite handsomely.

I have mixed feelings on Jay Bilas. I feel like the tide is turning in the negative direction about him for me now. Maybe part of it for me as I am an official and maybe a little old fashioned. I do feel like he criticizes the officials a decent amount. And I also feel that he comes across with a very big ego and thinks he is the smartest man in the world and has all the answers to changing rules. I personally usually enjoy the 94 feet segments. Sometimes they aren't much but usually somewhat interesting and has some humor in it. But can't say I hate Jay and I do think he is a very intelligent person. But there are others I would prefer to listen to. Very subjective and my own opinion though. Doesn't mean somebody else can't think he is the best to listen to.

You conveniently ignore the fact that Grant Hill and Rafferty do not expound upon what, if anything, they believe is wrong with the NCAA. They do not need to have been a coach or an AD to provide commentary about play during NCAA basketball games. I do not think anyone would contest their qualifications to offer that kind of commentary. Bilas's opinions are based upon what he guesses goes on at NCAA management meetings, not upon actual knowledge of the reasons underlying NCAA decisions.

You have no personal knowledge as to the actual reasoning behind the UNC decision, but claim it was because of NCAA favoritism. Might have been, and if it was, THAT decision would be morally and ethically wrong. However, I am not ready to label the NCAA a corrupt organization merely because it made a decision which I strongly disagree with when I do not know as a fact why they did what they did. Just send me five of the "hundreds" of articles you have which give examples of moral and/or ethical corruption and actually use those terms and back them up with FACTS which indisputably prove immorality, lack of ethics, and/or corruption. Articles which, like you, merely assume what the NCAA's intentions and reasoning were do not qualify. I for one believe the people on the NCAA board are basically good people and not crooks who are only interested in victimizing athletes and bleeding the public for dollars. I guess I am a glass half full guy.

Kind of ironic, isn't it, that after falsely accusing me of being tone deaf to differing opinions, that you admit that you cannot have a conversation with morons like me who do not happen to agree with you.
I am trying not to allow this to become personal and to stay respectful, but, hell, it's all cool.

Jay is definitely not at his best when he’s doing a Duke-Carolina game. He was over doing it and to the point of annoying Saturday evening. But, Heels fans thought he spent his time being a Duke homer.

Last night he was pretty good, but the scrum / play at the end with Hurt was nothing....you’d have thought Hurt assaulted someone the way he acted. Replay can be your friend, Jay.

I still think Bilas is the best in the business when he’s not doing a Duke game.

I agree on not doing the Duke-UNC game well.

Jay is really good at what he does. Very talented.

But, two things:

1) I don't think he really is a fan of Duke over against UNC. I think he loves K, but I think he's no longer really a fan of Duke. Of course, you don't want an announcer to be biased toward his alma mater when calling their game or analyzing their team. But, I think he's as big a UNC fan as he is a Duke fan. It is what it is. Some won't care about that others will. I'm kind of meh about that though at times it gets under my skin when he over praises UNC and doesn't do the same with Duke.

2) I think Bilas is arrogant and really lacks humility. Yes, he's great, but an announcer/analyst can be great and be humble. Compare him to (not in style, of course) Dickie V - utterly different style; but they are far from the same person; Vitale is a much more genuine human being. Or, say, Jim Nance. Nance is arguably the best sports announcer (Golf, NCAA basketball, and NFL) overall in the last 30 years. Better at his job than Bilas is at his. But, Nance is much more humble.

I often appreciate Bilas' perspective on things. I think he's been great on arguing for paying college athletes. But, I also think he lacks the humility to see a different side or actually just lacks humility as a human - unless he's talking to a human who is more talented than he is at basketball.

In that sense he's just not a likable announcer or person.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think the biggest thing thst bothers me with the Duke Bilas thing is some Duke fans have actually said they hate Jay. How can that happen? Are they from other fan bases posing as Duke fans because hate is a powerful word and I don't believe any true and loyal Duke fan could ever hate a former or present Duke fan.OFC

"hate" is typically used hyperbolically I suspect with those who say such. I think a person can surely strongly dislike a former Duke player. If a former Duke player were unethical and hurt others would you still like them because they went to Duke? That's basically idolatry and blindness. I root for all former Dukies big time in the NBA and I root for a guy like J-Will. He's passionate.

But Bilas is arrogant and can be a jerk. That's pretty clear. Wouldn't matter if played 10 years at Duke and coached 10 years at Duke. There's nothing to admire about that. If a person is not a humble, decent human - there's nothing positive there.

I don't dislike Bilas because of that. I often listen to his opinions and think he's super smart and love his perspective on the NCAA paying athletes. But, I also don't like him or enjoy him. He needs a dose of humility to become actually likable as a human being.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT