ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone read The Brotherhood by Jay Bilas?

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
I read it just now and wanted to post it here but just don't knoe how to do it. Very interesting and I believe everyone here would enjoy reading it. It's an article not a book and only takes a few minutes to read. Whether you like him or not you will like this article about Coach K and the guys that played for him and the relstionship they have built because of Coach K. I personally feel that it has branched out to we the fans. Please if anyone can post it do so. If not search it and read it. OFC

Jay has a very difficult job. He is suppose to remain unbias and neutral when it comes to broadcasting games. He loves Coach K and Duke, but I believe he goes out his way to try and be unbias that some fans begin to doubt his love for Duke.

He is like the dad coaching a talented son. No matter what he does someone will judge him. Be it another kids parent for playing his talented son over their kid. Or his wife for being too harsh\not supporting to his talented son.

Jay has a very difficult job. He is suppose to remain unbias and neutral when it comes to broadcasting games. He loves Coach K and Duke, but I believe he goes out his way to try and be unbias that some fans begin to doubt his love for Duke.

He is like the dad coaching a talented son. No matter what he does someone will judge him. Be it another kids parent for playing his talented son over their kid. Or his wife for being too harsh\not supporting to his talented son.

Nice way to put it. I truley believe that he pulls for Duke every game and when out of site he jumps for joy when Duke wins. I understand how many of you actually think he is anti Duke but if you listen to him he points out things they go against Duke also. You know it would be nice to be able to sit with Coach K and ask him his thoughts on Jay. Also it would be fun to sit and chat with Jay one on one about Duke basketball. What do you think he would say? What would you say to him? I don't know if you have friends that are unc cheater u fans that you talk about basketball. I have heard more than just a couple of them curse Jay Bilas as a Dukie lover.It's all how you see things. Some of us expect Jay to be a on air Dukie I'm afraid. To me he is the ulitimate professional. Smart as a whip and does his job.Have we forgot Len Elmore and Hubert Davis and how they did Md. .and unc cheater u games. Hopefully one of you can help me out and post the article and if not please read it. In ending I do get why some of you don't care for his style. This year I have been trying hard to see your side and listening for those anti Duke calls he brings up, In doing that I have also picked up the times he has pointed out the miss calls that went against Duke. I know I am not going to change anyones mind but there is no doubt that he is a pure Dukie and a part of the brotherhood. OFC

Jay is definitely not at his best when he’s doing a Duke-Carolina game. He was over doing it and to the point of annoying Saturday evening. But, Heels fans thought he spent his time being a Duke homer.

Last night he was pretty good, but the scrum / play at the end with Hurt was nothing....you’d have thought Hurt assaulted someone the way he acted. Replay can be your friend, Jay.

I still think Bilas is the best in the business when he’s not doing a Duke game.

Nice way to put it. I truley believe that he pulls for Duke every game and when out of site he jumps for joy when Duke wins. I understand how many of you actually think he is anti Duke but if you listen to him he points out things they go against Duke also. You know it would be nice to be able to sit with Coach K and ask him his thoughts on Jay. Also it would be fun to sit and chat with Jay one on one about Duke basketball. What do you think he would say? What would you say to him? I don't know if you have friends that are unc cheater u fans that you talk about basketball. I have heard more than just a couple of them curse Jay Bilas as a Dukie lover.It's all how you see things. Some of us expect Jay to be a on air Dukie I'm afraid. To me he is the ulitimate professional. Smart as a whip and does his job.Have we forgot Len Elmore and Hubert Davis and how they did Md. .and unc cheater u games. Hopefully one of you can help me out and post the article and if not please read it. In ending I do get why some of you don't care for his style. This year I have been trying hard to see your side and listening for those anti Duke calls he brings up, In doing that I have also picked up the times he has pointed out the miss calls that went against Duke. I know I am not going to change anyones mind but there is no doubt that he is a pure Dukie and a part of the brotherhood. OFC
Sky, I totally agree that he loves Duke, and loves K. He is the best in the business. Where I disagree with you though is on our 2 games with the holes. Personally, I think he overcompensates to not look like a Duke homer when doing those games.
It’s the most intense 2 games all season, and I think it would be best if someone other than him called those 2 battles.
FWIW, I thought he was very good last night.

Jay is definitely not at his best when he’s doing a Duke-Carolina game. He was over doing it and to the point of annoying Saturday evening. But, Heels fans thought he spent his time being a Duke homer.

Last night he was pretty good, but the scrum / play at the end with Hurt was nothing....you’d have thought Hurt assaulted someone the way he acted. Replay can be your friend, Jay.

I still think Bilas is the best in the business when he’s not doing a Duke game.

It would probably be best if he did not do any Duke games. OFC

I think the biggest thing thst bothers me with the Duke Bilas thing is some Duke fans have actually said they hate Jay. How can that happen? Are they from other fan bases posing as Duke fans because hate is a powerful word and I don't believe any true and loyal Duke fan could ever hate a former or present Duke fan.OFC

I don't know. I get a little tired of Jay's schtick. He tries to be clever and funny with all his Bilastrator/Nostradamus type stuff but comes across just looking like a guy with an ego who is just a little out of touch. His 94 feet segments always make me cringe.

As far as calling games and providing analysis, he is the best in the business. But everything he tries to supplement that with, fails IMO

I’m as close as it gets to hating him. I don’t think anybody here btw thinks he’s “anti Duke”. The majority just think he bleeping annoying and/or/acts like an idiot lol.

Reactions: QC Dukie
Bilas cracks me up. Last night "On Saturday I worked with a real pro(Shulman). Oh Hello Sean(McDonough)"

Bilas, Raferty and McDonough at Maui were hysterical broadcasts. "We are here with Duke superstar Jay Bilas who averaged 3.4 pts a game"

Jay's "Toughness" article is given to my players every single year.

As Coach K said about Jeff Capel he would say to all who hate on Jay. He's one of us. OFC

Reactions: df64
I think the biggest thing thst bothers me with the Duke Bilas thing is some Duke fans have actually said they hate Jay. How can that happen? Are they from other fan bases posing as Duke fans because hate is a powerful word and I don't believe any true and loyal Duke fan could ever hate a former or present Duke fan.OFC

I thought the funniest thing last nite was after Jay announced his "Bilastrator Players of Week" Award. With his ever present massive ego very evident, Jay said hopefully those kids can get over the psychological high of such an honor. Sean McDonough blandly replied "Uh huh," and continued calling the game. Lol...

Bilas definitely should be taken off all Duke games- stick LaPhonso Ellis in there. He does a really nice job...Hes also been a good addition to GameDay IMO rather than Jay Williams....I DO NOT WANT A DUKE HOMER, I just want a fair and totally objective call of the game....OFC

For me, it has nothing to do with him being a Duke homer or not. I’ve tried listening to him call other games, and he’s just as annoying in those to me. The game last night was much more enjoyable on mute.

GOOD POINT QC.... OFC

I like him. There, I said it.

Could he be better? Sure. We all could be better at what we do. But on the whole, I think he's quite good. Understanding some of it is for shock value, I don't pay a ton of attention to it.

I continually see Duke fans crap on Bilas for being anti-homer and continually see Duke haters crap on Bilas for being such a homer.

Personally, I love me a Bilas/Shulman game.

Can’t stand Shulman! He’s quick to let you know the non Duke player/coach disagreed with the call. And when he’s doing Syracuse games, he’s Homer Simpson

Can’t stand Shulman! He’s quick to let you know the non Duke player/coach disagreed with the call. And when he’s doing Syracuse games, he’s Homer Simpson

Shulman didn’t go to Syracuse, did he? I know he’s Canadian and from Toronto, but I thought he went to school somewhere in Ontario?

I really like Shulman and think he and Bilas together are good. Maybe not for the UNC games, but I do like them. They play off each other well.

Reactions: Mpm277
Shulman didn’t go to Syracuse, did he? I know he’s Canadian and from Toronto, but I thought he went to school somewhere in Ontario?

I really like Shulman and think he and Bilas together are good. Maybe not for the UNC games, but I do like them. They play off each other well.

Wait? Who was the guy last night? I always call him Shulman. You’re right, Shulman is cool. My bad

Dan attended The University of Western Ontario

Maybe we could pettition ESPN to have Dan Dakich and Len Elmore to call all of our games. OFC

Jay is the best overall analyst on tv. My problem with him is his constant harping on the refs and calls made or not made. It gets old. Refs are human. Let it go and discuss something else. Guys like Bill Raftery, Jimmy Jackson, Jimmy Dykes, Grant Hill,Laphonso Ellis are examples of commentators who do not dwell on the refs. I hit the mute on Jay most of the time. It is a choice.

Last edited:
Also, there are some I like better than Bilas. Kellogg, Hill, Raftery, Ellis, Gminski, and a few others. But I do really like Bilas.

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
I don't dislike Bilas at all. I think he's regressed by pointing out every missed call he thinks a ref makes. I was always taught the refs are going to miss calls and you just play through them. Jay and other commentators need to quit analyzing every call by the refs, all that does is give fans and teams excuses when they lose. Give me the facts, not your damn opinion.

Oh, you’re talking Sean McDonough. Yeah, he’s a bit of a Syracuse homer....but I think a lot of it is done in jest. He kind of plays it up.

Sean's a bit of an acquired taste; he has a subtle, dry humor re: Syracuse that is easy to miss at first. He'll say things like "The Orange arguably the hottest team in the country after winning two straight...." He and Jay have good chemistry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT