ADVERTISEMENT

Grayson and Trae Young get into a scuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young was HORRIBLE tonight, he's been terrible for all three games. Grayson hasn't shot particularly well, however, he's had a ton of assists and played well in the other areas. Also, Grayson would knock another two inches off of Young's hairline.

Really enjoyed the internets going wild over this. People need to find other ways to vent their own personal issues.

ESPN has it on their site and of course its portrayed as an "allen incident". On a related note, no way to comment on ESPN articles now....wonder why they decided to eliminate conversation :)
Because ESPN knows they unfairly target him because he’s a white, Duke player and they don’t want to be called out for it. That network is out of control. I hardly watch it anymore. It’s 50% politics, 25% social media tweets, and 25% sports.

Here's a video that shows the action up close and personal. And yeah, that was a nothingburger by Grayson, but Trae...

OFC
Yea, but it’s amazing how garbage fan bases like Cheater U, and UK spin it to where it’s Grayson’s fault when clearly it shows that Grayson was playing solid D, and overrated Trae couldn’t take it, because he’s so use to being called the next Stephen Curry. I know it’s only summer league, but so far Trae Young is horrible.

Here's a video that shows the action up close and personal. And yeah, that was a nothingburger by Grayson, but Trae...

OFC

i cannot see for the life of me where Grayson was the instigator. Yes he pushed back to get Young off him. Grayson might as well get used to it because it won't stop if he just stands there and let it happen. He needs some stand up team mates. OFC

Reactions: Dukeman
i cannot see for the life of me where Grayson was the instigator. Yes he pushed back to get Young off him. Grayson might as well get used to it because it won't stop if he just stands there and let it happen. He needs some stand up team mates. OFC
Me neither Sky! Drives me insane to see everyone try to spin it like it’s Grayson’s fault.

ESPN has it on their site and of course its portrayed as an "allen incident". On a related note, no way to comment on ESPN articles now....wonder why they decided to eliminate conversation :)

I love that they removed the comment section of their articles.

The comment sections had devolved into nothing more than trollfests and political gobbledegook. They had no use whatsoever for real conversation, only if you are entertained by internet war lol.

It is racism pure and simple. I LOL at RR posters for saying that Allen has a punchable face. The funny thing is that most of them are prob white and they would not dare say that about a black athlete for fear of the consequences. Allen could rip their heads off in a fight. They would be very quite around Allen. Very easy to be a tough guy on the internet. Little bit harder to do that on the basketball court or on the street. Dumb*****

Are you guys seeing what wade Baldwin did to him during today’s game? Literally shoves him in the face and gets ejected. Is anyone talking about that? Where’s the outcry for Baldwin being a dirt player. I saw the highlight on sports center and the announcer literally said “careful Grayson, everyone’s watching now” Yeah Grayson you goof, why did you hit that dude’s face with your hand?

And this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...rd-grayson-allen-will-continue-1827399335/amp

Oh my days, sometimes I really hate this country.

I am reminded of something I read long ago. Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was on a train to D.C to seek his pardon from the federal government for his role in the Civil War. Along the trip a man said that if that devil Forrest was in front of him that he would beat him up. Forrest stood up and said that he was that devil. The guy got off at the next train stop.

The article that is referenced in the duke basketball report article is pure victim hood, liberal garbage. It makes me ill that the author has a job commenting about anything at all and the fact that he writes for "the root" makes perfect sense. You can feel his anger seething in the article.

What a terrible waste of a domain name. They should give "the root" to an arborist website, where some good can come from it.

Last edited:
It is what it is folks. If hof coach roy williams, tyler hansbrough or even this writer had to have a new kidney to live and Grayson was a match and the donor it would be the same. Some people just have so much hate in them they are blind. I've been in a discussion on face book with a unc fan and finally I just told him he was right about Coach K, Duke and Grayson. I even told him about the pay the referee fund . He probably believes me so look out for a breaking ESPN story soon.

Reactions: Dukeman
Yeah it’s racism, no way around that. Very discouraging to see this already happening to Grayson. Unfortunately this is how it is and that’s a big reason why I don’t watch much NBA.

Reactions: hart2chesson
It is racism pure and simple. I LOL at RR posters for saying that Allen has a punchable face. The funny thing is that most of them are prob white and they would not dare say that about a black athlete for fear of the consequences. Allen could rip their heads off in a fight. They would be very quite around Allen. Very easy to be a tough guy on the internet. Little bit harder to do that on the basketball court or on the street. Dumb*****

What is racism? A bunch of mostly white people on the internet and social media are critical of Grayson Allen?

I'll grant you that there are a ton of white sports fans who absolutely get off on hating successful white athletes. When Christian McCaffrey was at Stanford, the only people I ever met who sold him short were white folks. In fact, I remember quite a few discussions among Black journalists at the time centered around how McCaffrey would be a Heisman lock if he were Black.

I've seen the Duke-White guy hatred for damn near 30 years and it's always been spearheaded by other white people. That said, I think Grayson Allen would be a target of opposing fans hate even if he had played for Gonzaga or Loyola of Chicago.

I am reminded of something I read long ago. Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest was on a train to D.C to seek his pardon from the federal government for his role in the Civil War. Along the trip a man said that if that devil Forrest was in front of him that he would beat him up. Forrest stood up and said that he was that devil. The guy got off at the next train stop.

I've heard some variation of this story about bunches of people over the years.

The fact that you chose to tell the one about a slave trader who was the KKK's first Grand Wizard lends some context as to why you see Grayson Allen as a victim of racism.

Reactions: PatrickYates
It is a secret office. One of those things that you already know if you are chosen. Otherwise, forget it. You will just have to get through life.

White privilege isn't quite as difficult to understand if you look at it objectively as opposed to simply saying, "I wasn't born with a trust fund, so therefore there's no such thing as white privilege."

For example, two kids (one white, one black) are born at the same time. They both grow to be about 6'3" but neither possesses any athletic ability. They both, however, bust their asses all through school, achieve good grades and get into elite colleges.

The white one gets to spend the next four years surrounded by people who look like him and who quite possibly share similar backgrounds.

The black one, on the other hand, gets to walk into classrooms where it's quite possible no one looks like him and maybe no one has had similar life experiences. On top of that, at some point, he'll inevitably have to deal with at least a few times having to explain that, no, he's not an athlete. Perhaps, even worse than that, he'll have to deal with at least a handful of assumptions that deal with his admission to the school and how it relates back to quotas and affirmative action.

As we progress through undergrad, the white kid and black kid are still kicking ass in the classroom so they apply to post-graduate programs (grad school, law school, med school, etc). Of course, these two scholars get accepted and, as you can imagine those new classrooms just got whiter and more exclusive for our black student.

Finally, after they wrap up school and now they've got to start paying back loans so they need jobs and they need to get paid.

Of course, if you really want to travel up the socioeconomic ladder, these offices and board rooms you're going to have to work in are going to share a lot of similarities with those elite classrooms I just mentioned.

This was just an example of white privilege from a standpoint of two kids going off to college. I didn't get into a lot of the things that don't come with white privilege.

For starters, white people are pretty much responsible for themselves. An example is I have yet to hear a serious argument from anyone in a position of authority about racially-profiling anti-social white teenagers, despite them being the vast majority of the perpetrators of school shootings. Avoiding being stereotyped because of the actions of others is an example of white privilege.

When I hear about people of color tell stories of encountering racism it usually involves law enforcement, the workplace or someone in a position of authority. When I hear white people tell stories of racism it usually involves a bar, a basketball court or the actions of a criminal. That's an example of white privilege.

Finally, acknowledging that there is something such as white privilege is not an admission that you as a white person has individually done anything wrong to a person of color. On the flipside, however, by denying the mere possibility of its existence is condescending as hell and basically telling someone you know more about their life's experiences. The fact that you can do that is itself operating from a place of privilege.

What is racism? A bunch of mostly white people on the internet and social media are critical of Grayson Allen?

I'll grant you that there are a ton of white sports fans who absolutely get off on hating successful white athletes. When Christian McCaffrey was at Stanford, the only people I ever met who sold him short were white folks. In fact, I remember quite a few discussions among Black journalists at the time centered around how McCaffrey would be a Heisman lock if he were Black.

I've seen the Duke-White guy hatred for damn near 30 years and it's always been spearheaded by other white people. That said, I think Grayson Allen would be a target of opposing fans hate even if he had played for Gonzaga or Loyola of Chicago.
Yea I guess that you are right. I can not argue with you.

White privilege isn't quite as difficult to understand if you look at it objectively as opposed to simply saying, "I wasn't born with a trust fund, so therefore there's no such thing as white privilege."

For example, two kids (one white, one black) are born at the same time. They both grow to be about 6'3" but neither possesses any athletic ability. They both, however, bust their asses all through school, achieve good grades and get into elite colleges.

The white one gets to spend the next four years surrounded by people who look like him and who quite possibly share similar backgrounds.

The black one, on the other hand, gets to walk into classrooms where it's quite possible no one looks like him and maybe no one has had similar life experiences. On top of that, at some point, he'll inevitably have to deal with at least a few times having to explain that, no, he's not an athlete. Perhaps, even worse than that, he'll have to deal with at least a handful of assumptions that deal with his admission to the school and how it relates back to quotas and affirmative action.

As we progress through undergrad, the white kid and black kid are still kicking ass in the classroom so they apply to post-graduate programs (grad school, law school, med school, etc). Of course, these two scholars get accepted and, as you can imagine those new classrooms just got whiter and more exclusive for our black student.

Finally, after they wrap up school and now they've got to start paying back loans so they need jobs and they need to get paid.

Of course, if you really want to travel up the socioeconomic ladder, these offices and board rooms you're going to have to work in are going to share a lot of similarities with those elite classrooms I just mentioned.

This was just an example of white privilege from a standpoint of two kids going off to college. I didn't get into a lot of the things that don't come with white privilege.

For starters, white people are pretty much responsible for themselves. An example is I have yet to hear a serious argument from anyone in a position of authority about racially-profiling anti-social white teenagers, despite them being the vast majority of the perpetrators of school shootings. Avoiding being stereotyped because of the actions of others is an example of white privilege.

When I hear about people of color tell stories of encountering racism it usually involves law enforcement, the workplace or someone in a position of authority. When I hear white people tell stories of racism it usually involves a bar, a basketball court or the actions of a criminal. That's an example of white privilege.

Finally, acknowledging that there is something such as white privilege is not an admission that you as a white person has individually done anything wrong to a person of color. On the flipside, however, by denying the mere possibility of its existence is condescending as hell and basically telling someone you know more about their life's experiences. The fact that you can do that is itself operating from a place of privilege.
I thought this was a Grayson Allen thread?

Please explain how it is not racism the way Grayson Allen is treated.

Funny thing is, everybody is always hatin’ on Grayson and keep commenting they can’t wait to see somebody kick his ass in the NBA. One thing some of the fools saying that all the time may be missing. If Grayson ever gets into a full blown fight, he may be the one dealing out the ass kicking. #getready

I thought this was a Grayson Allen thread?

Please explain how it is not racism the way Grayson Allen is treated.

For starters, I've yet to hear a racial component to the criticism, other than being lumped in with Hurley, Laettner and Redick as the latest in the line of hated Duke white guys. Now I may be discounting the opinions of a bunch of random white guys on THR and RR, but I'm speaking mainly of the media.

Now from the media standpoint, I assume you're talking about the level of attention his actions have gotten from members of the media. To that I can only point to similar action by Black athletes.

Draymond Green has had his fair share of dirty plays and he gets absolutely slammed in the media.

DeMarcus Cousins has carried the rep of a hothead and a dirty player for years and is one of those people who is likely to never live it down.

Ndahukong Suh has carried around the rep of a dirty player his entire time in the NFL to the point it has affected his money. Media members ask if the guy, one of the most athletically gifted D-Lineman in the league, is too much of a distraction.

The Bengals' Vontaez Burfect's rep has been trashed for "dirty plays," to the point if he stares a guy down too long it leads SportsCenter and has the potential to end in a fine or suspension.

As you can see, it is common practice for the media to beat a dead horse when it comes ball players once they develop a rep for being dirty, regardless of race. Now, one thing is different, even in the ramblings of random idiots on the internet.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Grayson Allen called a thug. I cannot say the same about the other guys I mentioned.

For starters, I've yet to hear a racial component to the criticism, other than being lumped in with Hurley, Laettner and Redick as the latest in the line of hated Duke white guys. Now I may be discounting the opinions of a bunch of random white guys on THR and RR, but I'm speaking mainly of the media.

Now from the media standpoint, I assume you're talking about the level of attention his actions have gotten from members of the media. To that I can only point to similar action by Black athletes.

Draymond Green has had his fair share of dirty plays and he gets absolutely slammed in the media.

DeMarcus Cousins has carried the rep of a hothead and a dirty player for years and is one of those people who is likely to never live it down.

Ndahukong Suh has carried around the rep of a dirty player his entire time in the NFL to the point it has affected his money. Media members ask if the guy, one of the most athletically gifted D-Lineman in the league, is too much of a distraction.

The Bengals' Vontaez Burfect's rep has been trashed for "dirty plays," to the point if he stares a guy down too long it leads SportsCenter and has the potential to end in a fine or suspension.

As you can see, it is common practice for the media to beat a dead horse when it comes ball players once they develop a rep for being dirty, regardless of race. Now, one thing is different, even in the ramblings of random idiots on the internet.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen Grayson Allen called a thug. I cannot say the same about the other guys I mentioned.
Yes Jtre, thug is something that is very controversial to say. I remember Richard Sherman saying a few years ago that thug is just code for another far worse word. And I definitely believe there is a lot of truth to that.

Now my problem here, is that it seems to me that you don’t believe that racism works every which way.

There’s people on this very board who say Grayson Allen was terrible and awful on defense. Same for Luke Kennard. And they don’t back it up with statistics or defensive metrics.

And Jtre, you said it yourself, “latest in the line of hated Duke white guys”. Which means you are hated because being white is supposed to mean that you aren’t any good at basketball.

Look, I agree with your post about black players being treated unfairly. All I’m trying to tell you is that white players can be treated unfairly too. And it’s ridiculous to me that Grayson is just a few games into the damn summer league, and he’s already been involved in two skirmishes.

I've heard some variation of this story about bunches of people over the years.

The fact that you chose to tell the one about a slave trader who was the KKK's first Grand Wizard lends some context as to why you see Grayson Allen as a victim of racism.
You mistook the analogy. It is not a black vs white situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT