ADVERTISEMENT

Game plan against SDSU

adm015

Starter
Oct 7, 2011
Watching SDSU against St. Johns they have 4 players starting who are 6'7 or taller. With that being said does Duke continue with the 4 guard lineup or does K start Jefferson?

If Matt is in the starting lineup does Duke start the game in a 2-3 zone?

What is your thoughts and opinions on the next opponent?

rebound the ball. pure and simple. if they don't box out, the game will come down to the wire.If they do box out, I see a 10-12 point victory.

they made a lot of 3's but thats unusual for them. even a bank shot. st johns was pretty depleted squad.

as long as jah is 1:1, we need too utilize that. it was clear that K was really emphasizing that mismatch with the team. if they double, find the open guy and hit 3's.

they have a good 3 point shooter. we need to find him and guard him early so he doesn't get going.

i would really like to see a 3-2 zone for a while. with the twin towers guarding the basket - if time, rest and fouls would permit it. there would be few second chance points. i would counter that with justice at the one and our 3-4 guard set to pick up pace. that would confuse the heck out of them.

I hate tall and quick. That's exactly what they are. I do believe Jah can have his way inside with them. Their height in the back court will present problems for Quinn and Tyus . Feel like K will definitely lead out with man to man and feel them out but the zone will work better vs them I think. This is gonna be a tough one.

SDST is hard to figure. Sometimes they cant score at all, but then they can score 90. Defensively they just fill space and disrupt drives.

We can beat them with ball movement. We have some of the best passers in the country.

If we turn it over, we lose. Very glad to have Tyus.

I just can't imagine it being too close. As in closer then 10-15. They played WAY above there averages yesterday and St Johns IS NOT the same team we played earlier in the year. We will be ready Go Duke!

This is a team we cannot sleep on. Many don't know much about them simply because they play on the West coast.

But this is a team that gave Arizona all they could handle in a 2 point loss. They beaten Utah, Pitt, BYU, Wyoming twice....

They're very long and of course defend effectively. They still will have an issue guarding Jah one-on-one in the post because of his size and footwork. He'll see some doubles and Quinn and Tyus will have to be game. K will mix in some press with zone to disrupt what is already a spotty offensive set for SDSU.

Duke 73
SDSU 62

I honestly feel more confident in tougher opponents cause our guys are just more focused and flat out better than when they face a lesser team.

We relax too much when its a team were supposed to crush, but focus like crazy against the really good teams.

Tyus Jones will have a huge game against SDSU, I'd bank on it.

This will not be an easy one. But it will be one we need and we can beat.

I had forgotten that Steve Fischer was coaching them. He's been around a while. We just have to play hard duke basketball and shoot a better than 50% from the free throw line. From now on out every free throw we miss is going to hurt and every free throw we make is going to mean something. It doesn't matter how many trips we make to the free throw line what matters is we start making them. You guys probably think I'm obsessed with good free throw shooting. I am. OFC

This post was edited on 3/21 1:54 PM by skysdad

Sky, the NCAAT has shown, many, many teams that missing FT's is unforgivable, so your right buddy.

I cringe every time Jah goes to the line. Id rather just get the ball back Any time he he's fouled. I really hope our season doesn't come down to him on the line because I'd be sick

I'd start Amile over Matt. That should level the height out a little bi. But honestly, if we keep Justise at the four then that will be a huge disadvantage for SDS. His quickness would have us pushing the ball up court on every possession. With that being said, I think it comes down to rebounding. Okafor has to pick it up and Amile and Marshall are going to have to keep bringing a lift off the bench.

I think we'll be able to pull away gradually through the second half because they won't be able to keep up on offense. It'll be lower scoring than what we're used too but Okafor should have his way with them once again.

The game plan should be keeping our focus for 40 minutes. We do that and we can beat anyone.

Originally posted by shicashicu:
I honestly feel more confident in tougher opponents cause our guys are just more focused and flat out better than when they face a lesser team.

We relax too much when its a team were supposed to crush, but focus like crazy against the really good teams.

Tyus Jones will have a huge game against SDSU, I'd bank on it.
Yes, this is definitely this team's trend this year. Which is why I like this tournament since the competition only gets tougher. I expect our boys to play even better as things go on. Let's go STONES!

Originally posted by sgrooms:

Originally posted by DukeDenver:
SDST is hard to figure. Sometimes they cant score at all, but then they can score 90. Defensively they just fill space and disrupt drives.

We can beat them with ball movement. We have some of the best passers in the country.

If we turn it over, we lose. Very glad to have Tyus.
SDSU has only scored above the 70s once, and that was against BYU, who plays less defense than us.
And that was a Double OT game. They only had 67 points at the end of regulation.

This is the game that has me nervous...I feel like if we win this one sky's the limit with this team.

Originally posted by adm015:

Watching SDSU against St. Johns they have 4 players starting who are 6'7 or taller. With that being said does Duke continue with the 4 guard lineup or does K start Jefferson?

If Matt is in the starting lineup does Duke start the game in a 2-3 zone?

What is your thoughts and opinions on the next opponent?
I'm not as worries as some. Unless SDSU plays well above their usual offensive game, I think Duke wins by double digits (i.e. 10-12). SDSU is ranked pretty high defensively (4) but offensively (149).

Here comes the 3/4 court press. Press them into submission. And then drop back into zone when their legs get tired and the shots stop falling. Duke wins this one going away. Pope is a tough player to guard I will give them that though. I like his game.

If we can start hot and make them play from behind, I love our chances. I watched them against Wyoming, and this team struggles to score against patient teams. St. John's tried to run and play a high speed pace because they had no real post player, which skewed who the Aztecs really are.

Originally posted by bshrader1:

But this is a team that gave Arizona all they could handle in a 2 point loss. They beaten Utah, Pitt, BYU, Wyoming twice....
The Zona game was in NOVEMBER. There is truly nothing you can take from a game that happened in the Maui Invite. We beat Louisville two years ago in the Battle 4 Atlantis and then were blown out in the Elite 8 by the same team...go figure.

They also lost to Boise State (2), a bad Washington team by double-digits, an OK Cincinnati team, a subpar Fresno State team and Wyoming...

What's that all add up to? Nothing. Talent typically wins out. We shoot well - we win. We don't, it's tight.

Share and move the ball...then we're ok.

Also, don't allow them run outs. They struggle offensively and the last thing we can afford is giving them easy baskets.

Just play to their potential and give it a Coach K type effort and everything else falls into place. Come out slow like they did recently that I do not want to talk about, and its going to be hard to win. Momentum is the key in the tourney. Grab it and dont let it go.;

We have seen what this team is capable of. If they play with passion they will beat any team in the field. They played 3 or 4 games this year that was some of the best Duke ball that I have seen in a long time and they stomped on some hearts those games. Over at halftime efforts. They play anywhere near those levels,,nobody beats them.
This post was edited on 3/22 6:57 AM by germantondevil

When we talk on defense, we have shown that we are almost unbeatable. We must realize that we are a #1 seed for a reason, and impose our will on them. Share the ball, stay together, and no easy run-outs for them.
Would also really like to see the 3/4 court trap and mix up the defenses. Think about today only, no looking ahead!
Go Duke!!

JC-OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT