ADVERTISEMENT

Duval

lyonhawk

All American
Sep 8, 2003
A lot of people are really getting on Duval lately, but it reminds me a lot of Jayson Tatum last year. Bagley has obviously taken no time at all to get acclimated to D1 ball, but I think we're forgetting some of these other kids are still freshmen.

When Tatum got on the floor last year, everyone got down on him really quickly for forcing things and making bad decisions, etc. He showed his ability in flashes early in the season and by the end, he was really freaking good. I think Duval is in the same boat. You see him do things that are special, and then you see him do some things that are dumb. As he continues to understand what he can/can't do at this level, I think he'll keep growing and by the end of the season, he'll be really freaking good too.

Kid is a work in progress. He makes plays that make you say what the hell was that, and even more plays that say holy cow how did he do that!? He will be fine, he’s learning from the best in the business. Kid has heart that you can’t teach!

I like him a lot and think he is so talented. I would like to see him put it on the floor more on some of those threes he's shooting. Drive a little closer and shoot the mid-range or just get to the basket and look to score or dish when defenses rotate. He will get it though. Has a great staff to show him. I think after the break and film, he will show a lot of improvement in the area of decision making.

Disagree with the Tatum comparison for Duval. Tatum started off slow because of injuries, plus when he came back our team was a disaster. No Point Guard, Grayson’s issues, K being out, etc. Tatum was a NBA caliber player by January last year.

Duval is different. He has a perfect situation around him, but doesn’t have near the skill set that Tatum had. He’s gonna be a roller coaster for a little bit, hopefully the ride ends by February. As of right now, he’s our best on-ball defender and our best passer. We need both those skill sets. He’s our worst shooter, makes things a lot harder on Bagley and Carter to score in the post when Duval is in the game.

Duke will be as great as Duvall makes them. There is no denying that in both the Texas game and the Florida game Duke was a more controlled team with Duvall on the bench. That said, in both of those games he played a key role in the victories when he came back in.

He can be frustrating to watch, but Duke will need him to play to his potential in order for Duke to play to it's potential. I think there is a lot to look forward to with him. He just needs to work through some things.

Just about every year you see Duke front load their schedule and then take a longer break in December. For veteran teams that's nice, for a team dominated by freshmen like this one, it's incredibly taxing both mentally and physically.

I think Trevon is still trying to find his place, and I don't mean that in a bad way....it's just that he's being asked to defer more than he ever has in the past. He forces a little much at times, but we've also seen him make spectacular plays in doing that. I thought last night he was mentally done....then he proved me wrong.

We're 8-0 with scars....better than being 6-2 with scars.

Duval is a tremendous talent, but we have to remember he is still just a Freshman. I love his game, and he is playing for the best Coach he could have. Sometimes he is too fast and gets a little out of control (in high school you can get away with that), but I love how aggressive he is, and as the season moves along, I am sure we will see him improve and be even more exciting than he already is.
Go Duke!
OFC

I don’t worry about Duval at all. He has a few mistakes on offense that are head scratching but when it’s time to win he steps up. His defense is elite and we need him badly on that end. Being that our bigs don’t know how to rotate for blocks it’s good that people rarely gets by him. His offensive game will pick up even more. Once he finds what works for him he’s going to be a force. I can’t wait to see this team when they’re clicking. We haven’t seen a game where this team is just clicking. Hell maybe not even a full half and we’re still 8-0. I’m looking forward to the complete game. That’ll be beautiful

I, like everyone here, really like Duval and I like his game ALOT. With that said....his inability to stretch the defense is concerning in my opinion. Already teams are backing up to the free throw line when guarding him which not only makes it harder for our bigs but clogs the lane for penetration from Allen and Trent at well. I still think the play-making and defense he brings to the table trump the shortcomings of his shooting but for us to be the best we can be I pray he develops some confidence from the perimeter as the season goes along. I hope he will aggressively look to shoot the open 3....especially in the games that we are clearly in control. If he can become a 35% shooter from 3 I don't know who would beat us and we'd never have to play Allen at the point in tight games later in the season like we had to against Texas.

Like I mentioned in a different thread, I don't see our personnel as a prime fit for Duval's game. He is a slasher and our big bodies only clog up driving lanes. He is not a great jump shooter, but often finds himself wide open. In year's past when we had a plethora of shooters Duval would be a focal point. With this year's team he needs to accept a different role. So far he has done that masterfully. Yes he makes mistakes, but as a whole he has done a great job of pushing when it is there and running the offense when it is not. And he is a very underrated defender, something Duke has not had from that position in a long time.

I agree with a lot of the comments above. I think the fact that he came out of the gate red hot on the assists and assist to turnover ratio might be working against him :( .

Those games were against lesser talent which perhaps over-inflated some of our expectations. In tougher games more recently he is posting more down to Earth numbers. I also like the way K seems to be handling him, IE; pulling him the other night after some questionable decisions and sliding Allen in at the point.

Either way, I am thrilled he's at Duke, and I expect him to improve as the season progresses. In the end I think he will be really, really good.

Alan

We're 8-0 with scars....better than being 6-2 with scars.

Hard for the 4 freshman who were the star of their prior team to play a supporting role. It also doesn't help if every time they get the ball they are thinking "this is my chance to show my stuff". I am over simplifying, I know.

Really want Duval to find his groove. First two games he was stunning, hope we get to the 8+ assists level soon.

WRT 8-0 vs. 6-2, I am trying hard not to fixate on an undefeated season. It will sting on the first loss -- unless its in the Tournament and then it would just
@#$@# suck.

He also needs to change the habit of "when in doubt, euro step" to "when in doubt, pull back out".

WRT 8-0 vs. 6-2, I am trying hard not to fixate on an undefeated season. It will sting on the first loss -- unless its in the Tournament and then it would just
@#$@# suck.

Losses always sting. But yes, going unbeaten all season only to lose in the NCAAT would be something beyond that.

Playing in the ACC I can't bring myself to thinking there's much of any chance of it happening, though. The conference is just such a grind not to have a few slip-ups.

Reactions: sheyduke
I think he's just a kid adjusting to college ball.

Carter is the same way. With Duval he faced faster guards and veterans of the college game. I think he will be fine but man if his three ball starts to fall he becomes scary.

Reactions: hart2chesson
He’s a young kid running the point at Duke!
There will be bumps in the road. I just wish he had a better jump shot because if he did he would be lethal! at any rate he is very talented and I’m glad he’s at Duke.

100% the team construction is hurting some of what Duval does best. Same with Carter and Allen at times.

Duke has so much physical talent in a game that becomes more about shooting every year.

I really really like this team...love the attitudes...they aren’t out there disrespecting people or the refs...love the fact they keep fighting no matter the score...love the individual talents.

I just can’t see a team built this way winning the title this year. I hope they prove me wrong.

Wow....We are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum. I think this team has an enormous shot at winning the title. I do wish we were a little stronger of an outside threat, but I cant think of who I would pick to beat us....especially in April after this team has had 4 more months of time together

100% the team construction is hurting some of what Duval does best. Same with Carter and Allen at times.

Duke has so much physical talent in a game that becomes more about shooting every year.

I really really like this team...love the attitudes...they aren’t out there disrespecting people or the refs...love the fact they keep fighting no matter the score...love the individual talents.

I just can’t see a team built this way winning the title this year. I hope they prove me wrong.

I’m glad to see you posting again @timmuh1515. I’d like to see you elaborate on your point. On the surface I get what you’re saying. Basketball is changing, but I feel that change is more on the professional level than collegiate yet.

Think about who has won the title just in the past 5 years (my personal opinion of when the game changed professionally):

2017 - UNC (solid post play)
2016 - Villanova (guard heavy, though UNC was a shot away from winning the title as a Big oriented squad)
2015 - Duke (though Tyus and Grayson lead the team for a night, Okafor made that team what it was)
2014 - UConn (attacked with great guard play during the tournament)
2013 - Louisville (won with a great balance of guard play and fantastic bigs)

The game has trended to the three some, but college players are still so inconsistent, you really can’t rely on the three point shot. That is of course unless you can trot out some NBA caliber shooters (Florida is the only team I’ve seen who can do that).

Here’s what Duke does with their bigs, they create 3 point opportunities without shooting 3’s. The bigs are And 1 machines and Tre can draw fouls with his drives. Gary could if he drove more. So the old fashioned 3 is alive and well with this team.

If the shooters can just balance what the interior does, I think this team is tailor made for a title run strictly because 1-8, the roster can take over a game in so many ways. Some teams are all perimeter. Some are interior only. Duke can do it any way you need, shoot, drive, score inside. That’s just my observation.

Hey hokie...I’ve been on the surface but don’t post often as you noticed.

Teams will always struggle with our talent but in a one and done scenario I worry that a strong experienced team will pack it in and slow down our offense.

Obviously every team has a weakness and on the wrong night anyone can lose. We just have so many guys that rely on generating offense in the same area of the court...granted they do it well.

Reactions: dukehokie
Hey hokie...I’ve been on the surface but don’t post often as you noticed.

Teams will always struggle with our talent but in a one and done scenario I worry that a strong experienced team will pack it in and slow down our offense.

Obviously every team has a weakness and on the wrong night anyone can lose. We just have so many guys that rely on generating offense in the same area of the court...granted they do it well.
I hear you and you have to nitpick something with this team. Just imagine though the nights when both Grayson and Trent are hitting with our bigs doing their thing inside. Now that is scary.

Reactions: DBM0828

I think college basketball is years away from being anything like the NBA. Simple reason really, guys just aren't great shooters in college.
In the NBA it really makes sense with the percentages to take as many 3's as possible. Not the same in college, we will be fine owning the paint and leading the country in offensive rebounds/dunks.

I hear you and you have to nitpick something with this team. Just imagine though the nights when both Grayson and Trent are hitting with our bigs doing their thing inside. Now that is scary.

I've said all season, if this team becomes any kind of an outside threat, outside of Grayson, then we're really, really tough to beat. In years past, we've have two losses, at least, by now if we shot the ball as poorly as we have so far this season.

Reactions: HonkeyT
I've said all season, if this team becomes any kind of an outside threat, outside of Grayson, then we're really, really tough to beat. In years past, we've have two losses, at least, by now if we shot the ball as poorly as we have so far this season.

On that note, and I'm obviously not sure how long this continues, I do like that K continues working in Alex for spot minutes. He appears to be a willing and able shooter and can potentially, at least minimally, offset a bad shooting night by Allen or Trent. With that said, this team is incredibly resilient and finds ways to score in other areas, particularly close to the basket, and the high number of high-percentage shots we create is a great remedy to poor outside shooting, at least for now.

Disagree with the Tatum comparison for Duval. Tatum started off slow because of injuries, plus when he came back our team was a disaster. No Point Guard, Grayson’s issues, K being out, etc. Tatum was a NBA caliber player by January last year.

Duval is different. He has a perfect situation around him, but doesn’t have near the skill set that Tatum had. He’s gonna be a roller coaster for a little bit, hopefully the ride ends by February. As of right now, he’s our best on-ball defender and our best passer. We need both those skill sets. He’s our worst shooter, makes things a lot harder on Bagley and Carter to score in the post when Duval is in the game.

What season did you watch? Tatum started off slow because he didn't buy into the team concept. once e did he was a beast. He stunk in the beginning because he was a ball hog.

What season did you watch? Tatum started off slow because he didn't buy into the team concept. once e did he was a beast. He stunk in the beginning because he was a ball hog.
Lol. He was hurt. Did he make some dumb plays, yes. We also didn't have K, Grayson was a major distraction, and did I mention TATUM WAS HURT. He bought into the team concept just as much as Luke, Frank, Grayson, etc. did.

His game was not to dish, his game was to score, and when that's not going well, yes it looked selfish. But calling him a ball hog just makes you sound stupid. He wanted to win just as much as everyone else, whether he needed 2 or 20 pts.

Duke last seasons team was a victim of circumstances with most of it being the unfornuate kind. Preseason injuries completely through season ending injuries, Coach K's health, Grayson's shenanigans, lack of PG due to a major lost transfer, selfish play but when things began to work themselves out we were a force most of the time until bad shooting killed us. Tatum tried to showcase himself and when his game came together he proved how great he was. All of Dukes current 5 star player were top cats on their respective HS teams and I'll bet you Bagley and Carter hardly ever had a player get under them under the basket the way Indiana's Davis did last night. Duval probably just blew by and overpowered opponents last season but the degree of talent is so much better in college. I wish Duval would just slow down and let the opportunities come to him rather than force things.

He will- just give him and coach some time. You also don’t want to take away what makes him great, just help him harnass it.
6 assists with 0 turnovers in 38 minutes last night. Missed 3 FT, though.

The only clear bad play that I can remember (there may have been more) from Duval last night was when we had about 4 guys on a fast break and he couldn't decide what to do and ended up turning the ball over. Besides that, thought Trevon was really solid and good.

The only clear bad play that I can remember (there may have been more) from Duval last night was when we had about 4 guys on a fast break and he couldn't decide what to do and ended up turning the ball over. Besides that, thought Trevon was really solid and good.
Duvall didn’t have any turnovers last night

He took a very questionable contested jumper with about 8 min left, they couldn’t stop up inside.
Tre is awesome tho we are so lucky to have him, December is an important month for him.

Reactions: dakid_0812
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT