ADVERTISEMENT

Duval

The only clear bad play that I can remember (there may have been more) from Duval last night was when we had about 4 guys on a fast break and he couldn't decide what to do and ended up turning the ball over. Besides that, thought Trevon was really solid and good.
It wasn't a turnover. I think he threw up a shot, but it sure felt like a turnover. I scratched my head on that play.

I was actually surprised myself he didn’t have any also. To Crazy’s point, he had a couple plays that maybe he didn’t get docked a TO but was responsible for it. He will learn, I’m not concerned about that at all.

This is ridiculous.

not even close. Tatum was a huge ball hog at the start of the season. Once he stopped forcing shots and started playing through the team offense he really shined. He grew up a lot at duke and come tournament time he was easily the best player on the team.

Duval's numbers: 33 mpg, 13.3 pts, 6.4 ast, 2.2 tov, 2.2 stl, 1.9 rbd, 47% fg

Tyus's numbers: 34 mpg, 11.8 pts, 5.6 ast, 1.9 tov, 1.5 stl, 3.5 rbd, 42% fg

Tre has a long season to go, but this is looking very good so far. The young man is very special. We are lucky to have his services.

Yeah, but does he have Stones? :p

Reactions: DukeDenver

Tre has a long season to go, but this is looking very good so far. The young man is very special. We are lucky to have his services.

I love having both of them as Duke players. Obviously they're two different type of PGs and you can argue that one is better than the other. I wish Duval had Jones 3 point shot and Jones had Duvals athleticism. :)

not even close. Tatum was a huge ball hog at the start of the season. Once he stopped forcing shots and started playing through the team offense he really shined. He grew up a lot at duke and come tournament time he was easily the best player on the team.
Well that is your opinion and obviously you’re entitled to it, clearly we viewed that extremely different. I saw a guy who was injured, trying to figure his way back into a lineup where he was prior to injury the best player on the floor- as a true freshman prior to playing a game. I saw a team that played its first number of games without him starting to gel and having to reintegrate him into the fold. If you remember that team and Frank in particular were really clicking. And while you can argue that he should learn to fit in as opposed to vice versa, you are talking about a kid who was an absolute stud prior to the injury. You have to let him figure it out. I don’t view his first couple of games as being a ball hog at all.

Reactions: topps coach
Last seasons team never had a chance from the jump. Duke looked like a monkey humping a football. The biggest difference in a nutshell this season to last is on court leadership. We have Grayson, and so far the star freshman look at him as that, the same as the 15 team had Cook. Last year was a bunch of individuals.
I like Duval, and we have to live with his sometimes wreckless abandon. K will keep him reigned in, and as the year goes, hopefully the wild mistakes will become fewer.

The shotclock went from 35 to 30 and I daresay Tre is surrounded by more firepower. Still, impressive, encouraging #s.

Reactions: DukeDenver
Last seasons team never had a chance from the jump. Duke looked like a monkey humping a football. The biggest difference in a nutshell this season to last is on court leadership. We have Grayson, and so far the star freshman look at him as that, the same as the 15 team had Cook. Last year was a bunch of individuals.
I like Duval, and we have to live with his sometimes wreckless abandon. K will keep him reigned in, and as the year goes, hopefully the wild mistakes will become fewer.
Sometimes we looked like the football.

He took a lot of ill-advised shots and made poor decisions. I think "ball hog" is a bit harsh. In retrospect, it's pretty easy to see it as K's having confidence in what he'd be able to do and giving him the freedom to learn on the job. I don't think he was doing anything he wasn't licensed to do.

Regardless, while he and Duval are very different players in very different circumstances, Jayson will always be an apt comparison for checking our frustration as fans. I can't think of many guys who got criticized so harshly and then turned it around so much within the same season. That we would be so impatient and downright hostile toward a freshman is a sign of how the game has changed and expectations with it, but good grief, we were pretty awful. I hope we invoke his name for years to come as a means of tempering our emotional responses to young players (and they're all young).

He took a lot of ill-advised shots and made poor decisions. I think "ball hog" is a bit harsh. In retrospect, it's pretty easy to see it as K's having confidence in what he'd be able to do and giving him the freedom to learn on the job. I don't think he was doing anything he wasn't licensed to do.

Regardless, while he and Duval are very different players in very different circumstances, Jayson will always be an apt comparison for checking our frustration as fans. I can't think of many guys who got criticized so harshly and then turned it around so much within the same season. That we would be so impatient and downright hostile toward a freshman is a sign of how the game has changed and expectations with it, but good grief, we were pretty awful. I hope we invoke his name for years to come as a means of tempering our emotional responses to young players (and they're all young).
Well stated, Dat.

Well said. Considering Tatum looks like a 5-10 year NBA All-Star and a future superstar, his name will be on this board quite frequently in years to come, hopefully all positive in nature.

He didn't play enough games at Duke to be a Dukie :D

In all seriousness, I echo what Dat said......I am constantly telling myself to calm down and remember that these are all kids that are roughly 19-20 years old......I am REALLY excited to see Tatum doing so well, and I think we have at least a couple of future NBA all-stars on this current team.

100% the team construction is hurting some of what Duval does best. Same with Carter and Allen at times.

Duke has so much physical talent in a game that becomes more about shooting every year.

I really really like this team...love the attitudes...they aren’t out there disrespecting people or the refs...love the fact they keep fighting no matter the score...love the individual talents.

I just can’t see a team built this way winning the title this year. I hope they prove me wrong.

Outside shooting is the biggest current concern for this Duke team, after relative inexperience. But I don't think it is quite that big of an issue. For one, there are multiple capable shooters in Allen and Trent, and Alex is becoming one off the bench. Trent has been in a slump, but he shot it really well last game, and we know the skill is there.

The other reason it does not concern me is what I see when I look no further than the most recent national champion. That was one of the worst shooting teams UNC has ever fielded, but they got by with huge production on the offensive glass. And they didn't even have a guy like Bagley (fortunately for us, few do).

Reactions: QC Dukie
Looks to me like everyone is settling into their roles very well. We also seem to be getting some nice maturity/leadership from DeLaurier and Bolden, which is a key development for this team. The Freshman (excluding Tucker) are mature beyond their years. It these things hold up, we will be very happy campers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT